• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In HTT I conquered some american provinces and can't find out why they are shown as being blockaded.

They are inland provinces in north america and surrounded by uncolonised areas. Their CoT is Housten and owned by the Shawnee. I have a couple of provinces/colonies in the northeast and around greenland with ships patrolling. Haven't noticed any pirates yet - am only into the 1460s.

Early wars against England

This is a "how to" question -- I know what I'm trying to do should be considered easy -- I just don't see how the rules governing it work.

I am playing Burgundy in 4.1b (March 2010) on Normal difficulty. (See, easy, right?) It's about 1430. I'm allied with Brittany and Aragon, England with nobody that'll honor it against me. England has already eaten the whole of the British Isles.

I don't see how to actually enforce my claim to Calais. Sure, I can declare war on England, take Calais, march across France to take Gascogne and Labourd, and stomp everything the English pig-dogs are stupid enough to send across the Channel. But I have no realistic prospect of building a fleet to take on the Channel Reaper (43 big ships and counting, against my six), which seems to mean Operation Lion de Mer/Zeeleeuw is out of the question.

So I can run the war score up to the low 20s, but that's not enough for AI England to consider even a white peace from my side. (If their war exhaustion is high enough, they do seem to offer me a white peace periodically.) I see no way to get it higher except by attrition, and that depends on the AI deciding to continue sending troops for me to smash -- frequently enough that the war doesn't auto-white-peace. That's so slow that I'm inclined to give up and go conquer somebody more accessible, but I'm going to lose my core on Calais before too much longer.

Is there a definite war score threshold where the AI will start considering sensible peace offers, or is this particular war somehow a special case? How should I be doing this? (is the answer "the Hundred Years War took a hundred years for a reason"?)

How should I be doing this? (is the answer "the Hundred Years War took a hundred years for a reason"?)

Yep, that's the answer. The AI won't accept peace because it knows that it has a navy you can't beat and an army you can't reach. In order to take anything of worth, you have to go to London and demand it. But you can't get there, so the AI is smart enough to know not to give in just because they are beaten on the continent.

Ally with the Scots and place lots of troops on the English border before the war starts. Other than that... declar war periodically and WP out (you don't lose your core that way), and wait until your Dutch provinces core and build a navy to compete with the RN.

You have 3 options...

1. get military access from Scotland prior to the war and put an army up there.

2. use a ship as bait say off the coast of brittany and then sneak an army across the channel whilst england sends their fleet to deal with it.

3. Do as you are doing now and simply wait it out - eventually you will get a half decent war score and england will get into a war with someone else lowering their war capacity, which should enduce them to give up calais.

Note that the core loss timer is reset every time you go to war with the nation that owns it.

Thanks safferli, Keinwyn, OrangeYoshi for your answers!

1. get military access from Scotland prior to the war and put an army up there.

This never occurred to me -- not once! When playing France I just thought of Scotland as that annoying little brother that insists on baiting the bear and gets mauled for it. <facepalm/>

Note that the core loss timer is reset every time you go to war with the nation that owns it.

This is good to know -- thanks.

One other strange thing that happened during this war: At one point my naval forcelimit abruptly decreased from 10 to 2, which cost me a big chunk of extra cash in maintenance. None of my territory was occupied or even besieged at the time (in fact, I had occupied Calais, and there were no English armies anywhere to be seen), and my fleet was safe in port in Vlaanderen, hiding from the big bad Englishmen. After a time, the forcelimit went back up. What happened?

Last edited:
One other strange thing that happened during this war: At one point my naval forcelimit abruptly decreased from 10 to 2, which cost me a big chunk of extra cash in maintenance. None of my territory was occupied or even besieged at the time (in fact, I had occupied Calais, and there were no English armies anywhere to be seen), and my fleet was safe in port in Vlaanderen, hiding from the big bad Englishmen. After a time, the forcelimit went back up. What happened?

Forcelimits depend on your total coastal base tax provinces. If you lose stability or gain WE, RR in all provinces rises, which will reduce your tax income, which in turn reduces your forcelimits. That's probably it, I'd venture.

Forcelimits depend on your total coastal base tax provinces. If you lose stability or gain WE, RR in all provinces rises, which will reduce your tax income, which in turn reduces your forcelimits. That's probably it, I'd venture.

Naval force limits depend on base tax, not actual tax income. Base tax isn't effected by those things.

What actually happened is his capital was either looted or successfully seiged by the enemy/rebels. That cuts off the land connection between his capital and his coastal provinces, so his naval force limits are reduced dramatically.

There may not have been any English armies around, but there were probably rebels. And the land connection can be cut off even if they rebels are only there a month.

Scotland is already dead.

Wait. If you own all three of their continental provinces their WE will be steadily rising due to occupied territory. After about 4-5 years (depending on how many of their men you kill) their WE will get to the critical stage around 15. At this point they will give in to your demands. As France you can grab all three provinces at once this way. As burgundy you might as well just grab Calais.

What actually happened is his capital was either looted or successfully seiged by the enemy/rebels. That cuts off the land connection between his capital and his coastal provinces, so his naval force limits are reduced dramatically.

Ah, OK, so if there's a besieging army in Bourgogne then I've got big problems because I have no supply line from capital to coast for the purpose of naval force limits? Are land force limits computed in the same way, based on base tax of (not necessarily coastal) provinces that can trace a supply line to the capital?

Ah, OK, so if there's a besieging army in Bourgogne then I've got big problems because I have no supply line from capital to coast for the purpose of naval force limits?

Right.

Are land force limits computed in the same way, based on base tax of (not necessarily coastal) provinces that can trace a supply line to the capital?

They are computed the same way, but the crucial [and has land connection to capital] clause isn't there, so having your capital besieged doesn't lower your land force limits.

afaik it increases your enemy's WE, you'll siege blockaded provinces faster, get a bit of money and deny your enemy some of his overseas income (if he has any, of course).

This might or might not be correct ;)

btw, does auto-white-peace still apply to daimyos in DW5.0? I'm currently somehow* at war with Taira/Fujiwara, even though I've vassalized Japan. Obviously, I can't end this trough normal means ^^;

*Orissa rebelled from one of their provinces, then I went and vassalized them. Didn't know they were still at war with Taira/Fujiwara, so now I'm as well ...

This might or might not be correct ;)
It is :)
btw, does auto-white-peace still apply to daimyos in DW5.0? I'm currently somehow* at war with Taira/Fujiwara, even though I've vassalized Japan. Obviously, I can't end this trough normal means ^^;

*Orissa rebelled from one of their provinces, then I went and vassalized them. Didn't know they were still at war with Taira/Fujiwara, so now I'm as well ...

No... Japan's diplomacy is screwed up in 5.0.

How do I form a new nation ingame?

If you have the potential to form a new nation a national decision will appear.