• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Absolutely correct unless you mint you will be making a loss each month (that is unless you factor in such things as ducats from events or from a peace treaty).

Production is not income though it is production tech.

I mostly get it now, but how do you mean production tech? I meant that the amount of money I make from production/tariffs/monthly taxes all go into and only into investment?

Fairly new to EU3, and as expected, im excited to invest time to understand the game. Seems so deep with lots of replay! I know this may not be wise, but I really dont want to play the powerhouses like France and such. I've played a good bit of Lithuania until I upgraded to DW, and then my save was corrupted so now im starting a game as Venice. My question: As Venice, my first mission is to acquire the province Friuli from my neighbor Aquileia. Considering my government type I can't arrange royal marriages so I was curious if there was any way to peacefully acquire this? I could build an army and declare war but I feel that's very unsafe considering they're allied with Bohemia and they would surely crush me. I do have "Conquest" Casus Belli to gain this province. Do I have Casus Belli because of this mission? Sorry, somewhat of a 2 headed question. Thanks guys! This thread is genius, it's a good way for me to learn the game quicker :)

Fairly new to EU3, and as expected, im excited to invest time to understand the game. Seems so deep with lots of replay! I know this may not be wise, but I really dont want to play the powerhouses like France and such. I've played a good bit of Lithuania until I upgraded to DW, and then my save was corrupted so now im starting a game as Venice. My question: As Venice, my first mission is to acquire the province Friuli from my neighbor Aquileia. Considering my government type I can't arrange royal marriages so I was curious if there was any way to peacefully acquire this? I could build an army and declare war but I feel that's very unsafe considering they're allied with Bohemia and they would surely crush me. I do have "Conquest" Casus Belli to gain this province. Do I have Casus Belli because of this mission? Sorry, somewhat of a 2 headed question. Thanks guys! This thread is genius, it's a good way for me to learn the game quicker :)

No, there's no way to gain it peacefully if you're a republic. You could make them a vassal and diplo-annex them, but that requires warfare. There is an option of using spies and sponsoring a nationalist revolt, but that only works for "non-accepted culture" provinces.

Yes, you have the casus belli because of the mission. In DW, allies always answer a call to arms if they say "Very Likely" so find someone strong, like Austria or Milan to help you. Just make sure you get to Fruili first so you can win the siege.

Yes the CB comes from the mission. The only non-war way I can think of is Spys. You can instigate rebels(Patriot) that would defect to you. But I think you need a core for that to begin with.

I've a question about achievments. How do I enable them? I'm playing a Byzantine game with no cheats and therefore I should be able to get them. Does this have anything to do with my personal mods to the names of my characters?

(Not the best possible thread for this question, but what can you do?)

I want to edit COAs, but most (though not all) of the .tga files show up as completely transparent when I try to open them in Paint.NET.

Do you know any other image editing software that could atleast reliably view .tga files?

The problem is that Friuli is the capital of Aquileia and we can not take a capital in a peace deal unless it is their only province remaining, there are some exceptions you will learn but your only option in this case is to annex them fully after capturing all their provinces or take some of their provinces in the peace deal. I tried a Venice game yesterday and my problem was that the troops got lower morale than neighbours (1.48 while others have 2.48) it's doable and ok, but to get higher morale you can do a number of things like getting the national idea military drill as the first one which will help you alot in battles. When I was new to the game I didn't know how important land tech, morale and discipline is for the outcome of the battles. welcome to the game btw!

(Not the best possible thread for this question, but what can you do?)

I want to edit COAs, but most (though not all) of the .tga files show up as completely transparent when I try to open them in Paint.NET.

Do you know any other image editing software that could atleast reliably view .tga files?

I'm guessing you want a free one. I'm sure stuff like Photoshop etc. works though. Maybe GIMP with a plugin? Not sure.

Another novice question of many to come im sure. As Venice I have completely occupied all of Milan with a warscore of 100%. It says it will cost too much peace points to annex them? How can I take all of Milan if I can't annex them? Ideas? Kinda stumped.

Another novice question of many to come im sure. As Venice I have completely occupied all of Milan with a warscore of 100%. It says it will cost too much peace points to annex them? How can I take all of Milan if I can't annex them? Ideas? Kinda stumped.

Well you can't take all of them at once, just a few provinces at a time.

AAARGGH RAGE

I'm playing as the Ottomans and I'm colonizing some timurid territory, I had about 600 in the settlement and the jalyarids (or whatever they're called) sent one colonist and took over the settlement >:l so there's now 800 settlers but I can't send another colonist and they're going to get the province after I've done all the work. Why has this happened and is there anything I can do?

So this is what the guide says but I was only at war with the Timurids this makes no sense
Seizing Colonies
If you’re at war, you can send an army to an enemy
colony and either burn it or capture it.
If you decide to burn the Colony, it will cease
to exist, and the province goes back to being unoccupied
and available for Colonization again
by any power. This option is one that may seem
best if you want to rebuild your own Colony from
scratch, with your own Culture and Religion, or if
you just want to cause trouble.
If you want to save yourself the trouble of
rebuilding, or if you don’t want to take a chance
on being first on the scene with a Colonist, you
can seize the Colony for yourself. It will still have
the other country’s Culture and Religion, if yours
and theirs don’t match... But it’s yours!
Provinces outside of Europe, North Africa
and the Middle East with a population under
5,000 will eventually become assimilated to your
primary Culture, even if they had a different Culture
when you conquered them. As you add to
the population of a Colony below city size, they
will also adopt your State Religion. All this, of
course, will make these provinces more to your
benefit financially.

Every province has a fixed cost. The total sum of the provinces' cost has to be less than 100 before you can annex the country. You'll have to grab a few provinces and get the rest at a later date.

AAARGGH RAGE

I'm playing as the Ottomans and I'm colonizing some timurid territory, I had about 600 in the settlement and the jalyarids (or whatever they're called) sent one colonist and took over the settlement >:l so there's now 800 settlers but I can't send another colonist and they're going to get the province after I've done all the work. Why has this happened and is there anything I can do?

It's a bug, reported here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?514844-Ally-quot-stealing-quot-horde-colony

What are the requirements for westernizing? I am playing IN.

I am playing Benin (Sub Sahara tech group)
I got -2 Centralization
I got -3 Innovation
I got +3 Stability
My chief has 7 Admin
I am bordering a province owned by Tripoli (Muslim tech group)..

So far no decision... what is needed.