• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Win wars, gain prestige, expand sphere of influence. Takes a while, but that will raise your diplomatic ability enough to ensure they accept your annexation request. Also, convert to a republic and select a leader that has good diplomatic skills. And hire an ambassador. Anyway, size doesn't matter when it comes to annexing vassals. I've had 13 province Croatia at "Very Likely" on annexation request while OPM Montenegro was only at "Maybe".
Wait, you can have vassals as a republic? I thought the concept of vassalization was something a king should have.

Wait, you can have vassals as a republic? I thought the concept of vassalization was something a king should have.

You can have vassals as a republic, but you have to obtain them through war, or before becoming a republic. Since royal marriages are only possible with Kingdoms, there is no way to peacefully gain vassals as a republican government form (exception: Noble Republic, best of both worlds).

You can have vassals as a republic, but you have to obtain them through war, or before becoming a republic. Since royal marriages are only possible with Kingdoms, there is no way to peacefully gain vassals as a republican government form (exception: Noble Republic, best of both worlds).
Off the current topic: I heard that you can't get PUs as a Noble Republic. But I've also heard you can inherit people's thrones. Can you explain?

I don't have much experience in personal unions. Maybe once or twice in fifty to a hundred games. So no, I cannot explain.
That's okay.

That's okay.

I think that depends on royal marriages. So, if Your enough lucky, then HEIR (son) OF YOUR RULER will be successor of the other country. So what will you do, Habsburgs, eh? Then, I guess, will be personal union or you'll inherit them. Thats all what I know.
EDIT : And da'... It's also useful to have ambassador and good ruler in Diplomacy (like our friend said).

Last edited:
Off the current topic: I heard that you can't get PUs as a Noble Republic. But I've also heard you can inherit people's thrones. Can you explain?

Yea unfortunately you are correct. Paradox made that change I believe in the Divine Wind expansion. It made Noble Republics too powerful. Never have to worry about your ruler getting regency, also more quickly switching between rulers allowed quicker inheritence. The great thing about Noble republics is that it gives you one more deterrent against nations in the form of a -1 stab hit. That in addition to being able to peacefully offer vassalage.

Edit: Lol, thanks FameGame11.

Last edited:
peacefully vassilize.

If you know what I mean.jpg

If you change the name of a province, does that disable achievements, the same way modding does?

If you change the name of a province, does that disable achievements, the same way modding does?

I don't think so. It doesn't change the games checksum, so it shouldn't. But there is never really any guarantee with Pdox and achievements.
Although, I have had all my games modded in dozens of ways since 6 weeks after DW came out, so I haven't played for achievements since.

What is checksum?

What is checksum?

The checksum is what checks for what version of the game you are running at the moment and it is compiled every time the game is stated up from all files that the game loads (except unit sprites, so you can buy the DLC sprites, or create your own, and add them without affecting the checksum). When you're at the menu screen, in the left corner is the version number and the checksum. If my memory serves me, it should be BJLT for the official 5.1 DW patch.

To log on to the achievement server you need an approved checksum, which is usually the newest official patch, and players also need the same checksum to play multiplayer games with eachother. This is to make sure all players have the same events, unit modifiers, etc, and it limits cheating.

The way I see it, since there are 4 letters in the checksum, which gives 26^4 = 456,976 different checksums that can come up from the compilement of all the relevant game files. There might be a theoretical possible scenario where two players have the same checksum, but different game files, but that is extremely unlikely.

Last edited:
Why is Byzantium so big in 1406? Did they really win a war with the Ottomans in that time?

Why is Byzantium so big in 1406? Did they really win a war with the Ottomans in that time?

Your question has led to quite a lot of reading on my part about the Byzantine Empire, and I have found something rather interesting that might make the constant Spanish/Castillian invasions of Turkey in nearly every single game a plausible real life scenario. The nephew of the last Byzantine Emperor claimed to inherit the title of Emperor, and later sold those hereditary rights to the Spanish monarchy. IRL the title of "Imperator Constantinopolitanus" was never utilized after said nephew's death. In EU3, however, I believe that it is realistic that the Spanish state would stabilize under Castillian rule, and this obscure title would be mounted as a claim to Asia Minor, leading to the inevitable Spanish conquest of those regions.

As for your question, here is the answer: In 1402, the "Timurids" (Chagtai hordes led by Tamerlane) defeated Ottoman Turks at Ankara, causing a full route and momentary collapse of the empire. Bayezid, the Ottoman Sultan, was taken prisoner by Tamerlane, and his sons fought for succession. A civil war more or less immediately broke out, and the siege of Constantinople was cut short. The Byzantines signed a peace treaty one of the Turkish Ottoman factions, quickly recovering much of the regions on the Greek side of the Aegean Sea, and formulating a temporary friendly peace with the Turks under Mehmed I, who had restored the Empire.

Sorry, seems that the forum search function and me are not best buddies.......

What is the difference between Tech Cost and Tech Cost Modifier (Innovative vs Free Subjects) ?! And/ Or, which one is more important to get first?

Thanks!

What is the difference between Tech Cost and Tech Cost Modifier (Innovative vs Free Subjects) ?! And/ Or, which one is more important to get first?

Thanks!

I am not sure I understand your question right, but the serfdom/free subjects slider is mainly balancing research costs against stability cost. If you go towards serfdom, research becomes more expensive, i.e. slows down, and recovery from stability less than 3 becomes cheaper, i.e. quicker. In addition, free subjects want more pay but fight better (as they have something to fight for).

The other slider (innovative/narrowminded) works virtually vice versa, but gives much more bonuses on the narrominded side. There is no difference in how the percentages work, it is just a different wording.

Thus as a catholic European country, it is usually best to move both sliders to the right, because the negative implications are mutually compensated by the other slider and the bonuses remain (morale, spy defence, missionaries, papal influence and colonial growth).

Thanks!
TCM - It just gives you faster research, ERGO: without it, You'll research land tech 21 in 1 year, and with help TCM, it will be faster, like in 7 months.
TC - It's just cost.
And... none is more important, it's like this sense:

Derp (again :D): Hmmm... what's more important, engine or wheels? I want to delete something from my car..
Herp : But you need both.

So, you can't play without anyone of it. If I know what you mean.

In DW 5.1, what's the best way to conquer Japan? I have the Unam Sanctum casus beli but after declaring war on Japan, another state assumed leadership of the war and I can't negotiate any individual peaces, and the overall peace negotiations results in the no casus beli infamy gain, which I want to avoid.

In DW 5.1, what's the best way to conquer Japan? I have the Unam Sanctum casus beli but after declaring war on Japan, another state assumed leadership of the war and I can't negotiate any individual peaces, and the overall peace negotiations results in the no casus beli infamy gain, which I want to avoid.

Don't let another nation take leadership of the war. If you are a European power, by the time you reach Japan you should have technology superior enough to destroy all of the islands' defenses without the help of allies. If you really do need alliance help to overtake the islands, try to bring in only nations weaker than yourself; a stronger nation will usually take leadership of the war.

I believe that in DW the Shogunate system may do something odd regarding infamy, so you might want to dismantle the Shogunate before actually annexing territory. Not entirely sure how that works, as I have yet to invade Japan or play as a Daimyo.

As Ottomans, I reclaim my two core provinces : Albania and Janina. Because they are both very poor, will it be a good idea to release them as vassals (Albania and Epirus, or both to one of them) since I guess I wont benefit from them even in late game.
And also what is considered as "not poor, worthy to keep province", I know 1 and 2 tax wool and grain provinces are useless, but what for example about 4-5 tax wool/grain provinces, is it worth to keep them?