• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, let us say I have 10.000 soldiers (10 regiments) in a province with supply limit 7 and attrition 5. What does exactly happen?

1) Attrition affects only the additional 3.000 soldiers?
2) Do I lose a specific and already known percent of them each month?
3) If I would have only 7.000 soldiers, would not lose ANY of them?
4) Why, if I am not at war, for example, I can keep like 18.000 soldiers in a single province of mine without losing not even one of them?
5) So the relationship between them it's like attrition shows how much do you lose when you get over the supply limit, right? That's all I have to know about them?

1) You might say that, bacause attrition won't kill more than 3000 soldiers.
2) You said attrition is 5, which means 5% of the army will die. BUT in the same time they get replenished from your manpower pool, so if the attrition number is green you will actually replenish more soldiers then attrition will kill. If it's orange, the number will stay the same, and if it's red you will lose more then you replenish. So you can't know exactly how much will you gain/lose in the green/red scenarios. Note that attrition will instantly kill the exact percentage shown when you enter the province bacause replenishment is done only at the beginning of the month.
3) True dat.
4) Because replenishment rate is much higher in your home provinces, so you replenish faster than attrition kills (but this can drain your manpower pool so don't do it)
5) I don't quite catch what you mean, but i think you're right :p

Now that sounds like everything clear to me now. :D
Thanks all of you!

2) You said attrition is 5, which means 5% of the army will die. BUT in the same time they get replenished from your manpower pool, so if the attrition number is green you will actually replenish more soldiers then attrition will kill. If it's orange, the number will stay the same, and if it's red you will lose more then you replenish. So you can't know exactly how much will you gain/lose in the green/red scenarios. Note that attrition will instantly kill the exact percentage shown when you enter the province bacause replenishment is done only at the beginning of the month.

So this means that I lose 5% of what is above 7.000, each month, or just once? Or is it 5% of the total?

Now that sounds like everything clear to me now. :D
Thanks all of you!

So this means that I lose 5% of what is above 7.000, each month, or just once? Or is it 5% of the total?

You will lose 5% of the total each month. Until the army is only 7000 strong. So in effect you lose a total of 30% .

nope, it mean he will lose 3% per month until he gets to 9 k, then he will lose 2%, then until 8k, and then he will lose 1%, until he get 7000, then he will lose 0%.

EDIT: IF he mean max province attrition.

But if the attrition is 5%, doesn't it apply entirely for what is over the supply limit?

So if I have attrition 5 with Supply Limit 7 and I have 12.000 soldiers, I will lose starting with 5%, right?
But what if I have 13.000 soldiers?:p
Nothing. The attrition rate has a cap in every province. Generally it is 5% I think but I have seen 10% not once. Maybe it was Scorched Earth or of you are monsterly over the supply cap for example 40 regiment in a 6 limit province.

As about looting:

1) The AI does it automatically when at war and in the enemy's province?
2) Do I have to select an option for looting a province, or it's just automatically for me too?
3) What it's exact effects are? I have read the Wiki, but maybe there are some others, especially because of DW?
4) It doesn't last more than a month, even if the army is staying in that province for 3 months, right?

Code:
scorched_earth = {
	population_growth = -0.20			# 20% penalty
	max_attrition = 10					# Maximum Attrition is increased by 10
	local_tax_modifier = -0.75			# 75% less tax income.
	supply_limit = -1					# Can support fewer regiments
}

eu3wiki said:
Weather Modifiers: Weather modifiers are not included in the Supply Limit displayed for a province. Instead, they are indicated by the Max Attrition being greater than 5 (except for maneuver), in which case you can hover the cursor over Max Attrition to see what additional modifiers apply. For practical purposes, these modifers should be subtracted from the Supply Limit to see the "true" limit. Note that weather changes immediately before monthly attrition is applied and therefore you may not be able to tell in advance what weather penalties will apply in a province.
-2 for mild winter, -5 for normal winter, -10 for severe winter
-5 for tropical
-5 for desert summer

So, scorched earth, plus tropical with desert summer, or severe winter max attrition = 25. So it may mean losing quater of your army...
Also as (base) supply limit is decreased by 1, if you siege the province, it is decreased by 3. Pretty much scorched earth kill every army in enough low value, inland(not-coastal) province, propably better than any army.

So, scorched earth, plus tropical with desert summer, or severe winter max attrition = 25. So it may mean losing quater of your army...
Also as (base) supply limit is decreased by 1, if you siege the province, it is decreased by 3. Pretty much scorched earth kill every army in enough low value, inland(not-coastal) province, propably better than any army.

It kills only what's over the supply limit, right?

It kills only what's over the supply limit, right?
The supply limit of a sieged but also scorched provice is so low that any army with numbers small enough to not take attrition will be far from enough to handle further combat with either the fort or any army coming to lift the siege, not to mention a possible ongoing invasion. But yes, it only kills when you are over the supply limit.

And supply limit base is = 1 + (0,2 x base tax) + fort level. So if province is of base tax 3 and fort level 1, the supply limit base = 1 + 0,6 + 0,5 = 2,1 => with supply limit decreased by 1, it becomes 1,1 - so for owned province it is 5,5 => for sieged province is is 2,2 => without modifires it is 1,1 - So an army of 30k soliders will be reduced in 4 months to ~9k rather easily. One more reason to use scorched earth if you face big enemies(like golden horde).

Is it possible to see what other countries' relations are? I've been looking all over the interface and I haven't found this yet. You'd think you could, as it is relevant information when forming alliances etc.

Is it possible to see what other countries' relations are? I've been looking all over the interface and I haven't found this yet. You'd think you could, as it is relevant information when forming alliances etc.

Yes, there is easy way and hard way:

Easy way:
Look at the diplomatic screen of another nation, there is window with alliances - there is small button with [>>] on it, if you press it, it will change the window that it will show nation relations with other nations.

Hard way:
Open save game in word, and look for relations there.

As about looting:

1) The AI does it automatically when at war and in the enemy's province?
2) Do I have to select an option for looting a province, or it's just automatically for me too?
3) What it's exact effects are? I have read the Wiki, but maybe there are some others, especially because of DW?
4) It doesn't last more than a month, even if the army is staying in that province for 3 months, right?

Any ideas about this? :D