• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Legitimacy immediately drops to -30... What the hell?

Legitimacy is always positive. It dropped to 30, not to -30. It is slowly climbing, to 31 then 32. To raise it faster, get more Royal Marriages and hire an Advisor who boosts that stat. There are also sometimes cultural decisions that can boost Legitimacy.

OK, I'll admit that I'm still super-noob, but am getting a bit frustrated. This game seems a lot like Texas Hold 'em Poker -- 25% skill and 75% luck. After a few false starts as Castille and then Burgundy, I finally got a good start as Burgundy. It is now about 1500; I have finished most of the missions OK, and put up with the various ups & downs caused by the "random events." A month ago I was doing pretty well -- a good strong military and good manpower, building level 3 buildings everywhere, Legitimacy = 100, Prestige = 80, BB = Zero, WE under 2, four strong HRE votes lined up for when the old fart from Austria finally dies. The only weak point was my 26-year-old heir, whose claim was weak. Well, damned if my 90-year-old king didn't finally up & die this month. ZAP! Legitimacy immediately drops to -30, Prestige drops to about 50, I lose all my RMs + I lose all my hard-won HRE votes. So, well, OK I think, my Legitimacy is supposed to increase by +2.3 per year so in 30-40 years everything will be peachy again. So I fast-forward for a year or two, and see my Legitimacy go from -30 to -31 to -32 (while the tool tip says it should be increasing by 2.3 each year). What the hell? I feel like I should reload a saved game from 26 years ago and drown the little bastard when he's first born!:mad: Would that be the only solution?

As has been said, the simplest solution is to just marry everyone in europe. You can easily get +10 or more Legitimacy/year from marriages, so your Legitimacy-problems should be gone pretty fast. And as others has said, there is no negative legitimacy, so that increase from 30 to 32 in about a year is exactly as expected for 2.3 legitimacy/year.

Regarding the luck factor, it is actually pretty small. Sure, there are a few bad events, but nothing you shouldn't be able to deal with. From my experience, it is more like 90% skill, 10% luck. Just get used to having bad events pretty regularly, that is a part of the game. Instead of viewing everything bad that happens as bad luck, just consider yourself lucky if nothing bad happens for an extended period of time. There are a lot of bad events, and only few really good ones (if you don't count those random "get 25 gold"-events. And among the bad things that can happen, an heir with a bad claim is actually not really so bad. Just marry a lot of people and the problem is gone pretty fast, and since you should marry a lot of people all the time unless you plan on forcing PUs, that is not really so far from your original plan anyways.

Your voters don't vote for you because of your low legitimacy, but that should go away soon with your naturally increasing legitimacy, too. Maybe bribe them a bit more if you feel like the emperor might die soon.

There is zero luck involved in Texas Hold 'Em.
Thanks to all who responded. I can do most of what was suggested, except I don't have the QFTNW NI so can't discover China, and I don't think I can switch the government to a Republic. But I can certainly start marrying all of Europe again.

@qoou: You're kidding, right??? I may be suber-noob at EU3 but have been playing poker for something like 55 years. Even if you're playing pot-limit or no-limit poker (like on ESPN's "World Series of Poker") there is still a HUGE luck factor involved when make-or-break depends on getting a club, or a king, or such on The River.

I'm kind of wondering if Frances decentralization is to high. France used to have missions that gave centralization that then were removed. But it's decent. is still high....

Maybe they forgot to fix that.

I'm kind of wondering if Frances decentralization is to high. France used to have missions that gave centralization that then were removed. But it's decent. is still high....

Maybe they forgot to fix that.
Diplo-annexing used to increase decentralization. When that was changed, it was logical to remove the centralization effect from the French missions.

Long time lurker, first time poster in the forums, ohai everyone.

In my current game, as Holland (Divine Wind with the newest ,5.1(?), patch) I've colonized a bunch of areas and created a center of trade in Holland. I kept wondering why my CoT in Holland didn't get bigger (stayed around 200-250) even though I kept colonizing new areas around West Africa and Mid-American Islands. Then I noticed that I've got another CoT in Cape Verde, 'stealing' the cash flow from my colonies, so I destroyed it (and lost the 20 prestige with it) but... next day, the CoT was there again, intercepting the cash. Is this a special feature on Cape Verde, that there's a permanent CoT when certain conditions are met, or is it just a bug and I should be able to remove it?

EDIT: Answered, thank you StephenT.

Last edited:
Then I noticed that I've got another CoT in Cape Verde, 'stealing' the cash flow from my colonies, so I destroyed it (and lost the 20 prestige with it) but... next day, the CoT was there again, intercepting the cash. Is this a special feature on Cape Verde, that there's a permanent CoT when certain conditions are met, or is it just a bug and I should be able to remove it?
There's a maximum level of trade that can pass through any single CoT, and the game will automatically generate a new one when you reach it. (Distance may be involved too, and it may be a random chance per month rather than a hard cap. But that's the principle.)

So, not a bug and nothing you can do to prevent it.

There's no reason why you should either, though. If you own both CoTs you'll get the same total income from them; it's not "intercepting" your cash. You'll have to send out more merchants, which is the downside; but the upside is that Cap Verde now gets a much higher base tax value plus you get an extra +0.1 colonist from it. Also, colonies owned by other countries in Africa will be likely to trade through your CoT in Cap Verde as well since it's closer, at least until their owners build their own CoTs there too - so the total value of Amsterdam plus Cap Verde will be higher than Amsterdam alone.

6 Merchants

I think Chronicler asked about something else: the thing that gives for example the tax bonus in the CoT's province - in other words: what is the highest possible "value" of a CoT? 'cause (at least that's what I noticed) every 100 ducats increases the "CoT level tax bonus" IRC

EDIT: damn you, Uebergold :p

Strictly speaking I don't think there is any limit aside from whatever variable type the devs used which is probably more than you could ever see in-game. The CoT size is only limited by the total value of the provinces trading through it so as long as the province count doesn't trigger a new CoT and no country manually builds a new CoT the value could grow indefinitely.

Just wondering what would happen if the following is the case:

I am the Papal States (pope), I form the Holy Roman Empire.

Would I then be the pope but pope of the Holy Roman Empire? Or would I revert back into being the Papal States?

If I am HRE, will I still have the kingdom of God-decision?

Just wondering what would happen if the following is the case:

I am the Papal States (pope), I form the Holy Roman Empire.

Would I then be the pope but pope of the Holy Roman Empire? Or would I revert back into being the Papal States?

If I am HRE, will I still have the kingdom of God-decision?

I thought you had to be a Monarchy to be HR-Emperor.

I thought you had to be a Monarchy to be HR-Emperor.

You can be a monarchy, make rule hereditary, and then switch to republic or theocracy. If theocracy, you just destroy the pope (and ofc all other theocracies). And voila, you are pope and emperor.