• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is it 100% predictable what rebels end up as?

Playing France, I took Skjælland (Copenhagen?) from giant Sweden to avoid them qualifying for Scandinavia. Releasing Norway or Denmark was too expensive for whatever effort I could bother with (and my army in Sweden proper got spanked, anyways). The province is ripe with revolt risk, like much of my country. I consider just letting them revolt, and leave the empire after a few years. But can I be sure they start Denmark and not defect to Sweden which also has a core on the province? Of course, this is the original Danish capital province. Also, any other ill effects from having some rebels roam the streets over there?

Bingeling:
They would most likely create Denmark, I'm sure you will see they are called 'Nationalist' rebels and not 'Patriot' rebels. Patriots bring a province to their country (based on culture). So even if it said 'Danish patriots' they would be unlikely to revolt to Sweden (unless Sweden is accepting Danish as a culture). However, if they are successful I believe it will give you some hit to prestige and possibly stability, and the new OPM Danish nation will be at war with you (unless you totally collapse)-- you might be better off just releasing Denmark as a vassal.

Thanks for the info. And I am daft, I did not think about releasing Denmark. It would also give me the alliance, but I do of course lose the change of the rebels taking hold of the rest of Denmark before defecting.

I tend to annex my vassals, not release them.

yeah, it sorted itself out since then.
I waited for the new month, cause thats when you always get the CB, but nothing, so I saved and came here. turns out I got automatically involved in a war in the 3rd day of that month for some reason...
btw I WAS automatically allied with them, I guess because they were already at war, dunno.
thanks for the answer though.

yeah, I loaded some saves just to recognize you´re right.. got auto-involved two times and was "allied in a war", but once I got a PU with LITH and they had different wars against UNG and GOL, I got the CB but was never involved automatically in their wars... it´s weird;

Thanks for that. So looking at the formula on the wiki, I only get half of my base tax and production income in tariffs? (* 0.50 )

That sounds right but note that Tariffs replace only Production which normally does not include Taxes to begin with! Who dreamt up these crazy formulas? You also still get Taxes for Overseas but at -90%. So Base Tax is used three times in Overseas provinces instead of the normal two:

Overseas Base Tax:

1. Monthly Tax at -90%
2. Census Tax at -90%
3. Tariffs at -50%

Very roughly speaking (I think) a Base Tax 10 Province NOT Overseas will generate 10/12 ducats Monthly Income and 10 ducats Yearly Census Taxes while the same Province Overseas will generate 1/12 ducats Monthly Income, 1 ducat Yearly Census Taxes, as well 5/12 ducats in Monthly Tariffs. These are the ducats generated from the Base Tax only.

Thanks for the info. And I am daft, I did not think about releasing Denmark. It would also give me the alliance, but I do of course lose the change of the rebels taking hold of the rest of Denmark before defecting.

I tend to annex my vassals, not release them.

Well, if you later end up in a war with Sweden you can arrange for Danish control over their core territories (let them lead the siege) and negotiate to make your new vassal/ally stronger. The downside to this is that it still costs you the infamy as if you were getting the provinces yourself. Still, most of those provinces will remain Danish cores throughout the game (unless the province culture changes, then it will only last 50 years more), so it might be a fun exercise in a century or two if you have the opportunity to give Sweden a walloping.

Does the leader bonus for offensive and aristocracy apply to naval leaders?

Playing as the Incas, I attack a 2000 men rebel army with 10000 men. Result: I lose about 1000 men, they 300, and then retreat. Repeat process ad infinitum. Why won't the rebels reasonably disband instead of retreating?

(Came back to the game after a few years break.)

Is there any way to cheat a peace ingame without having to alter the savegame . i have been at war with Naples for 50 years now with always just enough action by my allies to keep it going but nothing happening really but hose bastards accept no peace at all. I am sick of it. Please tell me the whole procedure if there is a peace cheat with how to get that cheat input thing too, i normally dont use it.

Does the leader bonus for offensive and aristocracy apply to naval leaders?

I think so.

Playing as the Incas, I attack a 2000 men rebel army with 10000 men. Result: I lose about 1000 men, they 300, and then retreat. Repeat process ad infinitum. Why won't the rebels reasonably disband instead of retreating?

Any enemy army, rebels included will disband if a) you outnumber them 10:1 or b) they have 0 moral when entering the battle.

note that b overrules a - ie if a 20k army with 0 moral enters a battle with a 1k army the 20k army will be eliminated.

Is there any way to cheat a peace ingame without having to alter the savegame . i have been at war with Naples for 50 years now with always just enough action by my allies to keep it going but nothing happening really but hose bastards accept no peace at all. I am sick of it. Please tell me the whole procedure if there is a peace cheat with how to get that cheat input thing too, i normally dont use it.

pause. send a white peace offer to Naples. open the ingame console, type "tag = NAP" (lose the quote marks when you actually type it). You are now Naples - accept the peace offer. type "tag = XXX" (where XXX is your country's tag).

Last edited:
I think I noticed this too in v3.2. When an allied vassal breaks his alliance with you there is no notification in some or all cases. If you're in Europe are you declaring war on countries in the HRE? If your allied vassals are also in the HRE your relationship will drop when you do this - eventually they will break with you (with no notification).

While I'm usually quite peaceful within the HRE, this time I did indeed declare quite a few wars of opportunity... that must be it then. Thanks for the explanation!

The problem comes when you have rebels in places like Russia, tropical areas of South-East Asia and some parts of the Americas where travel times are long - a month will end while the enemy are retreating, they'll get some morale back and then they'll be able to fight on.

I am playing France. My long hated enemies in Burgundy had a revolt in their divided empire over religion, and they revolted to me without any influence on my part. The city was a part of the HRE. I am currently the Emperor and I was worried about holding illegal territory because I don't have core on it. I'm not seeing any infamy effects from it under the display at the top of the page. Does it normally display there? Is this unusual?