• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What would be the fastest way to see if I correctly installed the patch?

Clear your map cache. Start your game. Quit. Start your game again. Check the bottom left-hand corner of the main menu. That version number and four letters (called a checksum) will tell you if you installed it correctly. The latest beta's checksum is IYIS.

Hey all, I'm in a game currently where I'm an absolute monster-blob as Prussia. I'm right on Russia's borders, and Russia is significantly smaller, weaker, and poorer. Yet oddly enough, they declared on me. Even with 55,000 troops on their borders, an alliance with Spain and Byzantine (who are also huge in my game) -- they declared. Even at the very beginning they had 15% capacity and 6.5 exhaustion.

Is Russia trying to commit suicide, or what? I've never seen the AI do this.

I'm tossing this one a bump. I'm sorry to seem desperate, but I'm really curious and it's a few pages back now.

EU3 Complete as Portugal. It's 1765 and I've been in a long war with Scandinavia. My war score is 21% and I control 7 provinces in Asia and a Danish isle. When I go to peace I can't get a single thing out of him (core, province, money). I haven't had this happen before but I haven't been fighting European powers either. What gives?

EU3 Complete as Portugal. It's 1765 and I've been in a long war with Scandinavia. My war score is 21% and I control 7 provinces in Asia and a Danish isle. When I go to peace I can't get a single thing out of him (core, province, money). I haven't had this happen before but I haven't been fighting European powers either. What gives?

His armies have to be beaten first. Either that, or max war exhaustion. I've had wars @ 58% where they give nothing if you don't crush their big army.

I find taking their capital will help end stuff soon. This will happen alot with European powers, worst was when I had to repeatedly take Marid, Lisboa, and London for some minor holdings in Egypt.

Not that I've noticed. At least there isn't a scaling "Unlikely/Maybe/Likely" indicator for peace. Its either they'll take it or they won't. Once you've crossed that threshold you're golden. They accept 10% extra over the WS as well(as long as it doesn't cross 100%).

If you want to try you could expand your influence and ask again, each country in your SoI increases your diplomacy rating by 1.

I'm trying to get "Poland can into space" achievement and I'm at 65 level in all techs.
(I read on EU3 wiki that you need to be at 60 to get it).
I'm playing normal/normal and still no achievement. Any idea why?

What gets calculated first, army movement or attrition? In other words: if I move an army from province A to B, and the army is set to arrive on the 1st of the month (the day attrition is calculated, right?), will it suffer attrition from province A or province B?

EDIT: also, does monthly attrition still apply if you're in the middle of a battle on the 1st?

Last edited:
Do countries lose wrong-culture cores when they get annexed? From experience, I would say no, but then this happened:
Milan takes two provinces off the Swiss, hold them for 50+ years, get cores.
Then, they get systematically taken apart by me and some other folks. The Swiss take advantage and take back their two provinces.
Right before I finally get around to annexing Milan, they still have cores on the Swiss provinces. After annexing, however, I notice the cores are gone.
Bear in mind, the AI never uses Promote Cultural Unity.

Second question:
What determines where you get cores when you form the HRE? Same culture group? Accepted culture?
Forming HRE as Italy, I got cores on Burgundian, Bohemian,Swiss, and Austrian land, , but not on the vast majority of the HRE minors. What gives?

Third question:
When inheriting on monarch death (not DW force-inherit), do you only get cores on same culture group provinces that are cored by the junior partner? I noticed something happening along these lines when I inherited an expanded Guyenne as Burgundy. I got cores on the cored Guyenne provinces, but not the new acquisitions on Cosmopolitaine culture provinces.

What gets calculated first, army movement or attrition? In other words: if I move an army from province A to B, and the army is set to arrive on the 1st of the month (the day attrition is calculated, right?), will it suffer attrition from province A or province B?

EDIT: also, does monthly attrition still apply if you're in the middle of a battle on the 1st?

Province B I would think and yes attrition still happens even during battles.

Do countries lose wrong-culture cores when they get annexed? From experience, I would say no, but then this happened:
Then, they get systematically taken apart by me and some other folks. The Swiss take advantage and take back their two provinces.
Right before I finally get around to annexing Milan, they still have cores on the Swiss provinces. After annexing, however, I notice the cores are gone.

Second question:
What determines where you get cores when you form the HRE? Same culture group? Accepted culture?
Forming HRE as Italy, I got cores on Burgundian, Bohemian,Swiss, and Austrian land, , but not on the vast majority of the HRE minors. What gives?

Third question:
When inheriting on monarch death (not DW force-inherit), do you only get cores on same culture group provinces that are cored by the junior partner? I noticed something happening along these lines when I inherited an expanded Guyenne as Burgundy. I got cores on the cored Guyenne provinces, but not the new acquisitions on Cosmopolitaine culture provinces.

Q1:Couple of options, someone made them give up those cores in peace or enough time expired to where their core expires. After 50 years a core on a non-same culture province will disappear.
Q2:Im not sure, in my only attempt to form the HRE the only provinces I didn't get cores on are the countries who chose not to get annexed and fight me. Thats rather unlikely for a bunch of minors, but did any of them choose to fight you instead of get vasselized?
Q3:Yes. For Example, I inherited Sweden in my current Denmark->Scandinavia game, I received cores on all its Swedish provinces but none of its Finnish provinces.

Second question:

Third question:

1. Without Cultural Unity decision the cores shouldn't just be gone. At least not directly after annexation. Maybe after 50 years, when the core disappears from non-accepted-culture provinces.

Code:
# Renovatio triggers for Emperor...
country_event = {
	id = 9073
	title = "EVTNAME9073"
	desc = "EVTDESC9073"
	major = yes
	is_triggered_only = yes

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA9073"
		change_tag = HRE
		culture_group_union = germanic
		add_country_modifier = {
			name = "rome_reborn"
			duration = -1
		}
		any_province = {
			limit = {
				hre = yes
				OR = {
					owned_by = THIS
					owner = { neighbour = THIS }
				}
			}
			add_core = emperor
		}
		any_country = {
			limit = {
				hre = yes
				is_emperor = no
				num_of_cities = 1
			}
			country_event = 9074
		}
		dismantle_hre = yes
	}
}

The event tells us: You should get cores on every HRE province that you or any of your neighbours own. So try getting many provinces all around the empire before you form the HRE, so you can get many provinces.

3. Not sure, but you should get cores where the junior has cores.

EU3 Complete on Easy playing Portugal. Why am I behind in tech when I've been #1 in Income all game? For instance:

Portugal: 51 50 58 53 50 (L N T P G)
Scandinavia: 58 59 49 52 51 (L N T P G)

EU3 Complete on Easy playing Portugal. Why am I behind in tech when I've been #1 in Income all game? For instance:

Portugal: 51 50 58 53 50 (L N T P G)
Scandinavia: 58 59 49 52 51 (L N T P G)

Tech rate is tied to both income and number of provinces. The more provinces you own, the more you need to invest in tech.

The equation to figure it all out is huge, but there's a simplified equation that I couldn't find anyone to explain to me.

Second question:

Third question:

1) Countries lose cores on all non culture group provinces when they are annexed. For easy proof of this just look at Byzantium after they fall. They keep their cores on Greece and Kaffa but lose them on Bulgaria/Turkey. Milan would keep its Latin cores but lose its Germanic ones. Equally if England forms GB it will lose cores in France, but not in any colonies it has cored, GB will still have them obviously.

2) Not sure, I think you get cores on all the provinces of any country that are in the HRE of any country THAT YOU BORDER. So I border Bavaria as Austria I get cores on all their provinces. I don't border Brandenburg, I don't get any cores on Brandenburgs provinces. For this reason it is a gamey idea to have little enclaves around the HRE to make sure you border as many countries as possible.

3) Cores are only on same culture group provinces, which they have cores on. Eg England inherits Scotland gets cores, inherits Portugal doesn't get cores. Unless you are both in the HRE in which case you get cores on all their provinces that are in the HRE as well. ie Austria inherits Bohemia. One situation to test this is to inherit Mamelukes as OE. You will get cores on all their turko semitic provinces (most of them) but not on the African ones. If you integrate the country (diplo anex after 50 years) you get no cores. Those expanded Guyen provinces weren't cores so you don't get them either.

After being out of the game for about 80 years Polish nationalists managed to liberate Poland from Bohemia and now Poland is back. The weird thing is that according to the screen when I click on a province Poland is Sunni Muslim yet every one of their provinces is Catholic. How did this happen? Especially as the country they were occupied in before is also catholic?