• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Blockading ports can be really frustrating when you play Indians but there is one good thing. Often they are just sending quattro-stacks, blitz these with your little armada and go back to your ports immediately. There is more trouble when they are finally sending their armadas where you cant do much in the beginning besides camping in your home ports.

Once you can keep your costs clear, they are not really doing anything to you anymore even if you are at war, and you can maybe even get a few colonies of them without invading europe once the war takes long enough, but building up a good fleet should always be your goal.

If only I could get the money together to make a small armada, barely have enough "fleet" for anti-pirate patrol coverage in my Cherokee game. :/

Got a string of really good admin leaders as I hit the sliders for westernising (Yay!) but since then I've been hit with Smugglers at least twice, as well as once beforehand. I have a nice swathe of land and did pretty well on trade goods but it's all horribly underdeveloped due to the constant nuisance wars and lack of $$$. Could realllllly use the "truckload of $$$ or +1 prestige" event a few times.

I also found it more than a little ridiculous to get monetary reforms twice before I even hit trade tech 1. Really? There should be a trigger to exclude barter economy natives from that :p

And why is it that the spies that cost 25 or 30 ducats fail at 95% more than the ones that cost 10 fail at 55%? Greedy natives want more of my wompum I guess.

What bonuses do I get if I form a nation. Is it really just prestige. Or do I get manpower boosts as well. I'm playing as Naples and only need one more province. Just need to know if I get anything when I form

Also. How do you guys deal with a country that has alot of alliances. I just need a province from Milan. Now Milan isn't that tough. I out number them and have better troops. But Venice. Palatine. Hungary. And savoy all go to war and I just can't handle that. Is there a way to break up alliances with enemies?

Last edited:
What bonuses do I get if I form a nation. Is it really just prestige. Or do I get manpower boosts as well. I'm playing as Naples and only need one more province. Just need to know if I get anything when I form

Also. How do you guys deal with a country that has alot of alliances. I just need a province from Milan. Now Milan isn't that tough. I out number them and have better troops. But Venice. Palatine. Hungary. And savoy all go to war and I just can't handle that. Is there a way to break up alliances with enemies?

You usually get some boni, it says on the decision which. Also, you get some cores on provinces you might or might not have owned before. No idea which those are from the italian decision, i think it is mostly northern italy. You even get those cores if the province in question is owned by someone else.

And there really isn't a good way to make alliances not join, you will just have to be able to beat the whole alliance, either on your own, or by having allies yourself. If a country is allied with both of you, they will usually honour the defenders CTA. So got some allies of your own, maybe switzerland, burgundy, austria, or whoever else is strong in the area at the moment, and also borders at least one of your enemies.

And there really isn't a good way to make alliances not join, you will just have to be able to beat the whole alliance, either on your own, or by having allies yourself. If a country is allied with both of you, they will usually honour the defenders CTA. So got some allies of your own, maybe switzerland, burgundy, austria, or whoever else is strong in the area at the moment, and also borders at least one of your enemies.

You could also wait until they're already involved in a big war. The AI won't auto join if, say, they're fighting Austria or something. At least, it's not guaranteed. Otherwise, yeah, Simberto's right.

This is my current game as Portugal, I have lots of colonies in America

EU3_MAP_POR_1614.1.12_1.jpg

Would it be a good decision to move to capital to America? What are the advantages of doing that?

Is there a way to guarantee a 6 star adviser? Even when I have 100% Cultural Tradition I still get 5 stars. Does Prestige or Legitimacy affect this? If they do, what levels do I need to have to assure a 6 star adviser?

Can you change your government ever if you start out as a Theocracy (i.e. Liege)?

EDIT: Curious as to why this has never been stickied like in other parts of this forum...

Yes. You have to change it to, I think, an Administrative Monarchy at a -10 (-6 actual) stability cost. It's on the Governments page on the EU3 wiki and is up to date for 5.1 in that regard.

Is there a way to guarantee a 6 star adviser? Even when I have 100% Cultural Tradition I still get 5 stars. Does Prestige or Legitimacy affect this? If they do, what levels do I need to have to assure a 6 star adviser?

There is no way to guarantee a 6 star adviser. You have a small chance of getting one when you would get a 5 star adviser, I believe. In short, however, other than being at 100% CT there is nothing else that can be done.

Don't know if was a bug or game design, but after invading an enemy province through the sea, and make peace with the enemy i couldn't transfer the army to the Fleet ( same fleet didn't move so yes there was the transport)
SO i can not put an army on a fleet if said army is in an foreign land? Ask military access help in this case?

Thanks in advantage.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any suggestions of strictly graphical mods for Divine Wind 5.1?
My eyes are getting a little bored of the plain map, and also i need help with successfully installing mods.
or at least a link to a thread that explains it. I'm using windows vista i think, or windows 7, if that matters.

This is my current game as Portugal, I have lots of colonies in America

View attachment 45439

Would it be a good decision to move to capital to America? What are the advantages of doing that?
I have a Portugal game with more American colonies than yours, yet I have not moved to America yet because of overextension - overseas provinces don't count, and if you change to America, they will no longer be overseas.

If you move it, you'll stop getting tariffs from America and you'll get the full tax and production revenues. Usually this means you earn more money.
If you want to move, do it to somewhere in the North American continent and connected to the South American one. Maximum provinces.

By the way, try to prevent Castille from getting too big in the Americas, if you can do it.

Great thread keep it up! My question: When you have a colonial it's production goes goes into tariffs, does that include production efficiency? Is it worth building docks in them? Thanks in advance

Is there any difference between "Local Tax Modifier +x%" and "Direct Tax +x%"?
They're completely different.
Local tax modifier changes the tax value of the province which you receive as part of your monthly income.
Direct tax is the yearly census tax which is based on the province tax value but modified by core status and buildings.

Are there any negative consequences for attacking the natives of a colony? Other than not being able to trade with them I don't really see anything, but the game makes a rather ominous sound when you click that button. Thanks.