• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How does AI work with HRE? I mean can AI controlled country like Venice or Poland join HRE if they can't, can I program some countries join HRE and how would I do that?

You open Europa Universalis III\decisions\HRE.txt and try to understand how the first decision works. If you want to allow all countries to join, you have to change this part:
Code:
[B]emperor = { ai = no }[/B] # Simply do not want to join player-controlled HRE
and you may need to alter this one too:
Code:
modifier = {
				factor = 0 
				[B]num_of_cities = 5[/B]
			}

If you only want specific nations to join, the first entry should probably look like this:
Code:
[B]emperor = { ai = no }[/B] # Simply do not want to join player-controlled HRE
not = { 
		tag = TAG
		tag = TAG
		tag = TAG
	}
The uppercase TAGs have to be replaced by the proper country tags of the country you want to allow.

I'd say Adal is the best country to play, they are a despotic monarchy, have a position that is unlikely to be invaded by castille very soon, have access to lots and lots of gold and best of all: You have muslim-tech neighbours, who often get into trouble, thus allowing you to take one of their provinces, which gives you the ability to recruit muslim tech units. With this little trick I managed to beat back naples and Venice while still waiting for a ruler to westernize.

Ok, thanks to everybody that replied to me!

Then I'll stick with Ethiopia, since it's in the subsaharan technology group, it's quite easy to annex Adal, Swahili and Mutapa and I like the +1 colonist because of being Orthodox and having a reason to be warmongering all of the muslims around Africa (plus, not being declared a religious enemy from the superpowers in Europe, hehe). I'll convert it to a despotic monarchy as soon as I reach lvl 2 in Government.

Ok, thanks to everybody that replied to me!

Then I'll stick with Ethiopia, since it's in the subsaharan technology group, it's quite easy to annex Adal, Swahili and Mutapa and I like the +1 colonist because of being Orthodox and having a reason to be warmongering all of the muslims around Africa (plus, not being declared a religious enemy from the superpowers in Europe, hehe). I'll convert it to a despotic monarchy as soon as I reach lvl 2 in Government.

No, you won't. It is not that easy to get out of tribal governments, you need to take a decision at government 10/11 or something like that.

No, you won't. It is not that easy to get out of tribal governments, you need to take a decision at government 10/11 or something like that.

Oh, right! According to the wiki: http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Tribal_government_reform

It's done via decision at Government 10... Thanks for pointing it, Simberto! I think I'll have to start again to do it quicker :-\

Why did the size of my save file jump to 12 megabytes? (Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I didn't see a bug help thread)

If you register your game in this website (here), you will be able to see the technical support sub-forum. BTW, my savegames are between 10 to 25MB each.

Thank you! This happened to the game where I finally formed Ireland, and I got so annoyed by the 2 minute save times.

Did it take you 2 minutes to save the file? I think that's not normal, unless your PC is rather old. It takes around 3 seconds for me. If it happens all the time, indeed, I would ask in the technical support section. Oh, and welcome! :happy:

um... how to create italy in D&T? Says something about italien claim value that I can't check anywhere
That would be a question for the mod forum, probably in the D&T thread.

If you have extremely long save times and/or large savegames you may not have installed the 5.1 patch; there was a bug related to achievements that caused this in v5.0.

What you would think it does. If you press that button, instead of movement orders, you now give patrol orders, meaning that the fleet will return to the beginning after the movement is finished, and then circle that movement.
Very useful to keep pirates at bay. It's safe to have 1 ship per each three sea zones if it's a Carrack, or one ship to four zones if it is a Barque.

Why cant i unpause in a multiplayer game, i was tryin to start a match with a friend and couldnt unpause, it was a lan game if that matters
The spacebar doesn't work for pause/unpause in multiplayer (probably to avoid the fact that a lot of people who play a lot of Single Player press it without thinking when something important happens), but you can still click the date to unpause or pause it.

Can Georgia form the Byzantine Empire in EU III the chronicles? And if so what is required?

Only Greek countries can restore the Byzantine Empire.

Code:
	restore_byzantine_empire = {
		potential = {
			NOT = { exists = BYZ }
			NOT = { tag = HRE }
			primary_culture = greek
			religion = orthodox
		}
		allow = 
		{
			owns = 151	# Thrace
			owns = 149	# Edirne
			owns = 147	# Salonica
			owns = 148	# Macedonia
			owns = 146	# Athens
			owns = 145	# Morea
			owns = 1773	# Achea
			owns = 316	# Bithynia
			owns = 317	# Bursa
			owns = 318	# Smyrna
			owns = 1853	# Kozani
			war = no
		}

How does local defensiveness exactly work? Also, if a province with lots of e.g. hills has a march and local defensiveness bonus, do these attack penalties stack with each other?

Defensiveness has nothing to do with the attack penalties from hills, it somehow effects sieging + maybe assaults. However, it is not exactly clear HOW it does that. There is old information about siege rolls on the wiki, but is extremely easy to proof that that information is wrong, but i have not yet seen an other theory that actually works. So, it somehow slows down sieges, and probably makes assaults harder, but the exact math is not known as far as i know.

Is there an easy way to locate all of the provinces owned by some other country besides me?

My cursory examination of the map suggests that Sicily owns Sicily itself (the whole island), Malta, and Navarra. I am now playing Castille, so their Navarra territory is of interest to me. I would like to see what other provinces they hold, if any, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do so beyond close inspection of the map.

Well, for starters, you can change to the political map-mode, so at least you can tell at a glance everything Navarra owns (though they tend to start off as an OPM, no?) -- beyond that, however, I got nothing for you. If pressed, I'd say that -- unless perhaps there's something in the ledger -- there's no real way to get the info you're aiming for (short of rifling through the game code of your saved-game :p ).