• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm playing as Venice. How exactly do I get myself added to the HRE? It's really, really annoying having Bohemia breathing down my neck all the time.

They won't stop breathing down your neck just because you're a member. The only benefit you'd have would be that the Emperor wouldn't be called in if you have a CB against another member.

They won't stop breathing down your neck just because you're a member. The only benefit you'd have would be that the Emperor wouldn't be called in if you have a CB against another member.

That's what I meant.

But yeah, is there a Province Decision for getting your capital counted as an Imperial province or something? How do I get that to appear?

As far as I know, you can only add provinces adjacent to other provinces already in the HRE. Since the Venezia province technically is an island it can't be added to the HRE, so you'd have to move your capital. You also need good relations with the emperor, which you may not have if they've fought a few wars with you already.

Trying out the Oirat Horde in 3.2. My religion is Animism - from reading the wiki it would appear that the only way to switch religion would be to form the Mughal Empire - is that right?

Trying out the Oirat Horde in 3.2. My religion is Animism - from reading the wiki it would appear that the only way to switch religion would be to form the Mughal Empire - is that right?

The only way to switch religious groups is to go bankrupt while a OPM. This makes your religion become the religion of your capital. In HTTT and DW, the Oirats are Buddhist, which makes them slightly less impossible to play.

Question on tariffs: Should I bother building the likes of counting houses (which delivers +25% local production efficiency) in colonies, seeing as they don't give any production income? I'm guessing it will provide some benefit to tariffs, otherwise the system would seem broken, but is it worth it? Same with tax buildings too, come to think of it.

As far as I know, you can only add provinces adjacent to other provinces already in the HRE. Since the Venezia province technically is an island it can't be added to the HRE, so you'd have to move your capital. You also need good relations with the emperor, which you may not have if they've fought a few wars with you already.

This in incorrect. Provinces with a land bridge connection can be added.

Question on tariffs: Should I bother building the likes of counting houses (which delivers +25% local production efficiency) in colonies, seeing as they don't give any production income? I'm guessing it will provide some benefit to tariffs, otherwise the system would seem broken, but is it worth it? Same with tax buildings too, come to think of it.

I'm not positive, but I don't think the production increase will benefit a tariff province. However, anything that has +tax or direct tax or anything like that does benefit such a province. So, you may want to build the counting house, anyway, in order to get access to the higher tier buildings.

Tariffs are production income + 75% tax (not sure about the number now), so all buildings will benefit the colonies as well. Just not quite as much.

1. Ive no idea what holding up your loading time. This is something that you can ask in the technical forum.

2. Your national focus is the second crown on your capital whenever you start a game. You can change this to any other province by clicking on the little crown in the province display. Its right next to the name if I remember correctly.

3. If you click on the shield and then on the second tab, you can see your king and if he has a legal heir.

Although it is written for HTTT, it still have some valuable info about these kind of questions. Its a guide I made with the help of others to help new comers like you. See my link in my sig :).

Thanks for the reply. I tried excluding the game folder from my firewall/antivirus programs but it still took over half an hour to go from clicking the icon to actually being able to play. Will probably set that up in the technical forum here shortly. As for the other two things I'm not getting a second crown icon on my capital province to click. Nor does anything come up when I hover the kings name on the second tab. Thats where I thought I was supposed to look for both and why I was surprised to find neither one. It is really a puzzler but for what its worth I was playing Muscovy in the grand campaign and nothing else has worked right for them so maybe I should expect that.*doh* The Horde and Novgorad are taking turns running over me and my little alliance in the center of Russia and they arent going to exist much longer at this rate.

Ah well....viva la next game scenario. ;)

The "distant overseas" tax penalty. What are it's prerequisites, and how can I get rid of it?

Is that distance fixed or does it change with tech/government?

I'm getting this malus with Alexandria from a Constantinople capital. And yes I know I could just conquer my way down to it and make a land connection, but indulge me on this one ;)

No, the distance is fixed in the game engine, and not changed. No tech, no decisions, etc. And the distance is fairly short, as you can see :) Basically the only real way to get rid of the penalty is to get a land connection.