• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hmm, Eu3 wiki says artillery is useless in armies only for battle...is this true?

(meaning armies that doesn't siege)

Whats the fastest path to theocracy? (never been one before)

I have started a new Spain campaign, got excommunicated and turned my back to the papacy and said yes to a form empire event. I have now annexed the Iberian peninsula but before I start converting the world to the real and true but most of all Spanish faith, I must be a theocracy.

Cheers.

Hmm, Eu3 wiki says artillery is useless in armies only for battle...is this true?

It is not useless per se, but is really only useful later on in the game if you have the cash, since they kill people (high Fire) and are relatively protected if you have a lot of infantry.

Regarding the Achievement "Pure harmony - Starting in the grand campaign, enforce Religious Unity as China", how is that done?

I have no clue... The wiki only says that you should release Xia immediately, but I don't know how to get the option to "enforce religious unity" (is it a peace deal when certain conditions for war are given, is it a diplomatic option that appears if you have good relations with another country and that country is heretic, ...?).

Regarding the Achievement "Pure harmony - Starting in the grand campaign, enforce Religious Unity as China", how is that done?

I have no clue... The wiki only says that you should release Xia immediately, but I don't know how to get the option to "enforce religious unity" (is it a peace deal when certain conditions for war are given, is it a diplomatic option that appears if you have good relations with another country and that country is heretic, ...?).
It just means that all of your core provinces have the Confucian religion.

Ahh, right. Thanks GreyHuge!

Another question: As a catholic kingdom and waging war against the Mamluks with the casus belli "Tribal Conquest", that has the description of 50% cost for "All provinces - Forced conversion". If I sue for peace, I don't see any option to force them to convert to christianism. Would it appear if I occupy all of their provinces or is it forbidden to convert them for some reason? I've read in the wiki that:

religion = yes is used for special religious types, like the Papacy and theocracies (archbishoprics). It is used to prevent forced religious conversion as the result of losing a war.

But having a look at the file, it only has religion = yes for theocracies and papacy...

Ahh, right. Thanks GreyHuge!

Another question: As a catholic kingdom and waging war against the Mamluks with the casus belli "Tribal Conquest", that has the description of 50% cost for "All provinces - Forced conversion". If I sue for peace, I don't see any option to force them to convert to christianism. Would it appear if I occupy all of their provinces or is it forbidden to convert them for some reason? I've read in the wiki that:

But having a look at the file, it only has religion = yes for theocracies and papacy...

You can only force-convert countries of your religous group (and maybe pagans, no idea about that), so a christian can never force-convert muslims.

No, it's not. Where does it say that btw?

Artillery has a whopping 4.0 fire modifier late-game, fairly good pips, can fight safely from the back, shortens the line, allows you to use more than 30 units in a fight, etc.

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Basic_warfare

Well, it says that artillery is slow etc and shouldn't be used. (It seems to me that advanced infantry is much better though than advanced cannon...artillery give any other bonuses?)

Since that same article advocates pure cavalry armies, and was last changed in 2010, it is safe to assume that it probably simply is not up to date. Especially the last segment indicates that the rest of the article is written for some version of EU3 before HTTT, and something major has changed afterwards.

And one of the main advantages of Artillery is that they can fire from the second line of battle, meaning if you have artillery, usually more of your units can attack at the same then if you had only infantery. This is especially true since as far as i know, the maximum of frontline units fighting at the same time is 30, so any additional units would only be reinforcements in that battle, while artillery can fire from the second line for the whole fight.

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Basic_warfare

Well, it says that artillery is slow etc and shouldn't be used. (It seems to me that advanced infantry is much better though than advanced cannon...artillery give any other bonuses?)
You do know that artillery does not fight in the same space as infantry and thus should not be compared? Artilery fights in the back-row of the combat, while infantry provides the front. So every unit of artillery just provides more pewpew without any drawbacks expect slower speed and higher costs.

First of all - I wasn't talking about PUs, but about the vassilation missions you get for some countries.
Won't you white peace automatically if you just occupy them for that long? How do you go around that?

Leave one province unoccupied but with an army there, periodically break the siege for a day or two allowing them to build some units to smash... Doesn't work too well with a bunch of vassals or allies though because eventually one of them will take over as siege leader.

To the original question: Yes, it is annoying to get this sort of mission when you can't succeed in one war. There's not always a need to take a lot of infamy to make it happen though-there's no infamy gain for forcing them to release nations for example. You can also use a different CB, if available, to grab cores or border territories for reduced infamy gain. Excommunication CB is really good for this too if you can arrange it. For Austria, especially if you are emporer, forcing Bur to reduce the 1 and 2 province minors is a no-brainer as you can generally insta-vassalize them along with the IA bonus for releasing them.

First of all - I wasn't talking about PUs, but about the vassilation missions you get for some countries.
Won't you white peace automatically if you just occupy them for that long? How do you go around that?
The guy I quoted was talking about PUs.

--

No, the WP event only fires if nothing is happening in the war (no battles, no occupation, no sieges etc). By occupying them you've ensured that something is happening.

Artillery is excellent but only after LT ~22, or LT 18 at the earliest.

I controlled all of mainland Europe without having built a single unit of artillery. Whatever advantage artillery adds, it is not in any way decisive.
Just because you can beat the AI doesn't make skipping something a good idea. You could use the same argument to justify, say, only engaging in mountains with pure cavalry stacks without generals, and you'd still be able to get away with it against the AI.

The guy I quoted was talking about PUs.

--

No, the WP event only fires if nothing is happening in the war (no battles, no occupation, no sieges etc). By occupying them you've ensured that something is happening.

I am pretty sure this is wrong. I had countries whitepeace out while being completely occupied when no fighting happened, and i had countries whitepeace out while sieging their provinces for absurd amounts of times without conquering them when doing tests regarding level 6 forts, and no other fighting happened during that time. I think to stop the whitepeacing, you need to either initiate new sieges or fight against troops.

You do know that artillery does not fight in the same space as infantry and thus should not be compared? Artilery fights in the back-row of the combat, while infantry provides the front. So every unit of artillery just provides more pewpew without any drawbacks expect slower speed and higher costs.

What are the rules for that anyway? What if your army is 150 000, like 60 000 infantry, 60 000 artillery, 30 000 cavalry (heard 1/5 should be cavalry)

How will the units "switch" then, if only 30k can be in the front line?

I also heard that artillery give infantry half their defense.

I'm wondering about these strange missions you get as sertain countries. For instance the Austrian mission to vassilize Burgundy.. That's litterally impossible from the get go as even with the CB, you need a 150%+ peace deal... What's the thought behind this? Are you supposed to chip them down, eating 4 infamy hits? You'll lose the CB before you can do that.
The Austrian mission to vassalize Burgundy should really be a personal union mission instead the same as their missions for Bohemia and Hungary. I expect this will be fixed if/when Paradox releases the next patch or expansion.

I am pretty sure this is wrong. I had countries whitepeace out while being completely occupied when no fighting happened, and i had countries whitepeace out while sieging their provinces for absurd amounts of times without conquering them when doing tests regarding level 6 forts, and no other fighting happened during that time. I think to stop the whitepeacing, you need to either initiate new sieges or fight against troops.
I can't say for sure about sieges, but I have had plenty of wars which last 20+ years of boring occupation (vassalizing burgundy in their starting size as Austria, for example).

Not sure about the MacOS version but I think that should work too with the same checksum.
Best place to ask questions regarding MP is in the MP forum though.
I would include more information too: exactly what problem are you seeing? Is there an error message? Are you trying to use the Paradox Metaserver or one of the virtual private network programs or something else?
we are trying we best way with the ip it wont load as we see at the end : Game not found but we hosted it. I say we because we think that one can better hosted as the other so tried the otherone to go there . The problem i see is only that it wont load and the game wasnt found. we have look after everything . we have the same patch . same checksum and so on. it says only that the game wasnt found. :)