• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ahh... so in short you can focus on 2-3 Tech trees since you'll get enough Neighbor bonus to keep the others running anyway?

Generally you focus on just one tech at a time. One advantage of this technique is that it maximise your returns from neighbour bonuses. As well as granting you your return sooner. The only time when it is not a good idea to focus on just one tech is when you are running into ahead of time penalties on every tech.

If you are small they can make a difference, and will skyrocket your tech if you westernise, but as a larger empire they are fairly small beer.

Generally you focus on just one tech at a time. One advantage of this technique is that it maximise your returns from neighbour bonuses. As well as granting you your return sooner. The only time when it is not a good idea to focus on just one tech is when you are running into ahead of time penalties on every tech.
Yeah, I mean focus 100% in one tech at a time and only move between e.g. Production/Trade/Land, letting Naval and Government get a major boost from neighbours.
And perhaps catching up in Gov once you can reach a new National Idea!

Have a new question about the Papacy and the HRE.
In DW it seems very random who gets the papacy, can you do anything more than getting lots of catholic provinces (only European provinces counts right?) and stacking +Papal influence bonuses?

Same with HRE, what decides who is an elector there? Bribing and marrying the Electors is straightforward enough.
Since you need to wait for the current leader to die it's age is interesting, how do you see the age of countries leaders (including your own)?
I only see an age on the heir...

Another HRE question, is it only occupation of HRE non-cores that give you infamy? If I manage to remove the cores from the province, will the Infamy be removed? In other words, do I get the infamy because it's a province without my core, or because it's a province with someone elses core? And does Vassilizing a fellow HRE memeber give you any infamy debuff?

Actually Yoshi, I think there are a few coastal provinces that don't have ports. I think (hopefully I'm not getting my mods confused now) that one of them is in northern Russia, in the Kola-Karelia-Arkhangelsk region.

Is it quicker to load/unload armies from a sea zone with a port to the province? Does the AI always attack from the zone the port is in?

But what I think Yxklyx is asking about is the adjacency of coastal provinces. So while province X might have a port in sea province Y, X is also adjacent to sea province Z. Panama is the most obvious example - it's port is on the Pacific ocean, but is certainly adjacent to the Caribbean. There are many other examples where provinces border two sea provinces.

To actually answer the question, no, I don't think it matters speed-wise which sea province the port is actually in. What matters is the distance (in pixels) between the 'centre' (wherever your boats/guys stand) of the two zones.

And the AI will definitely attack from whatever province it finds most convenient. So you can't just block one province with your fleet to prevent them from landing.

Have a new question about the Papacy and the HRE.
In DW it seems very random who gets the papacy, can you do anything more than getting lots of catholic provinces (only European provinces counts right?) and stacking +Papal influence bonuses?

All Catholic provinces count. And no, there isn't much more you can do.

Same with HRE, what decides who is an elector there? Bribing and marrying the Electors is straightforward enough.
Since you need to wait for the current leader to die it's age is interesting, how do you see the age of countries leaders (including your own)?
I only see an age on the heir...

You can't see the age of kings. You can only see when they rose to the throne. An event decides the electors, and there can't be more than 8. You have a chance to be an elector if you're a member of the HRE and have over 100 relations with the emperor.

Another HRE question, is it only occupation of HRE non-cores that give you infamy? If I manage to remove the cores from the province, will the Infamy be removed? In other words, do I get the infamy because it's a province without my core, or because it's a province with someone elses core? And does Vassilizing a fellow HRE memeber give you any infamy debuff?

You get infamy because you don't have a core.

No vassalizing doesn't give any infamy.

Actually Yoshi, I think there are a few coastal provinces that don't have ports. I think (hopefully I'm not getting my mods confused now) that one of them is in northern Russia, in the Kola-Karelia-Arkhangelsk region.

Are you talking about the wasteland provinces?

What matters is the distance (in pixels) between the 'centre' (wherever your boats/guys stand) of the two zones.

This.

What's hte best way to expand who trades in my CoT. I'm playing as Frankfurt and have just created one. Should I get as many people as possible in my trade league? How do I "convert" neighboring provinces to trade in my CoT.

What's hte best way to expand who trades in my CoT. I'm playing as Frankfurt and have just created one. Should I get as many people as possible in my trade league? How do I "convert" neighboring provinces to trade in my CoT.

The only way to do it would be to invite people to your trade league. I believe you should have a diplomatic option that says something like "Join Trade League".

There are many other examples where provinces border two sea provinces.

I am currently reloading a game based in just such a province: Epirus. It faces three sea zones. Strangely enough, IN MY GAMES the AI does always try to invade from the sea zone where the port is. In this case, the Ionian Sea, where the ports for Epirus, Achaea, and Morea are. So they seem to invade both Epirus and Morea exclusively from the Ionian sea.

What matters is the distance (in pixels) between the 'centre' (wherever your boats/guys stand) of the two zones.

Wait, what? That's all there is to it?
Er... what if I zoom way out on the map, then they're closer together, right?
I didn't know I needed to have a ruler handy.

No.

The time it takes to get there is calculated just like the distance between two land provinces: The place they stand in the first province to the place they stand in the second. If the place the ships are in one sea province is closer to land than the place the ships are in another sea province, it'll take less time for your troops to travel from the boats to the province.

Will the "Italian ambition" quest give me cores on ALL the provinces i take in a peacedeal in Italy? For example: if I annex Naples, will I gain core on all 4 provinces he has? (at the start..)

Another question of the same quest:
If I annex modena and ferrara on the exact same day.. Will I gain core on both their provinces or just one of them?

Will the "Italian ambition" quest give me cores on ALL the provinces i take in a peacedeal in Italy? For example: if I annex Naples, will I gain core on all 4 provinces he has? (at the start..)

Another question of the same quest:
If I annex modena and ferrara on the exact same day.. Will I gain core on both their provinces or just one of them?

You will get cores on all the provinces of the first peace deal. So, time your peacedeal well, and get the maximum provinces out of that! :)

Are you talking about the wasteland provinces?

No, I thought Olonets or Karelia was missing a port. But that may have been outdated info from HTTT, or even from MM. I could very well be wrong here.

I am currently reloading a game based in just such a province: Epirus. It faces three sea zones. Strangely enough, IN MY GAMES the AI does always try to invade from the sea zone where the port is. In this case, the Ionian Sea, where the ports for Epirus, Achaea, and Morea are. So they seem to invade both Epirus and Morea exclusively from the Ionian sea.

Huh, well, I may be wrong then.

Wait, what? That's all there is to it?
I didn't know I needed to have a ruler handy.

Distance in pixels as measured on the bitmaps that lay out the map ;)

@ Twilight

OK, I could have been a little clearer. I was trying to emphasize that this is what I'm seeing. I don't think you are wrong. Lets say that the AI appears to be *predisposed* to land troops from the sea zone with the port city. I think that the AI may choose an alternate sea zone if say, it does not want its transports taking part in a battle that is taking place in the sea zone with the port.

... although the AI does tend to do silly things....

Hover over the two sides of each policy slider. The effects are shown in a tool-tip.

Those are the effects for a full investment in that slider one way or the other. Divide those by 5 to get the individual slider move rewards/costs.

Is Nation Collapse bugged in EU3 Complete. I just had it happen to Russia and I came out looking a lot better - thought all was lost. Nothing seemed to have changed for the worse afterwords.

2 quick questions related to things I find annoying in game.

1) When I am HRE, I randomly seem to acquire new territories like Krain or Osel with absolutely zero notification. I understand the imperial notes system when an AI nation is HRE, but I dont even get any notificaiton when I randomly receive a far flung province which then proceeds to revolt the very next turn. Half the time I can't even gift them back to their rightful owner as they have lost their cores.

2) How come an enemy nation can just walk into my colonies with 1000 units and take control, not occupy, just take control, where I only occupy if I walk into his? Then if I get my territory back in peace negotiations, it has his culture and hence less productivity and higher revolt risk... makes no sense.

I searched the wiki and the forum for this and didn't see it so I apologize it's been answered already.

I am playing France and am the HRE. IN HTTT I was able to issue imperial bans or demand that a nation change to the true faith but now that I have DW I can't see those diplomatic options. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?