• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I got a Q about westernizing. I'm playing venice and I border all of the native american tribes. I have more then enough tech for them to westernize but I'v noticed they havent. I decided to tag over and look and it says that they dont have someone bordering them with the correct tech group... whats going on here?
If you tag switch ingame via console or decision, not from the loading screen, it doesn't register that part. They still have the tech difference, the game just "remembers" you were Venice before switching, similar to forming GB and the decision saying "British Isles owned by England".

If they're innovative and centralized enough they'll take the decision so ignore the tech difference bit.

Ah, thanks alot, that explains it.

I'm playing as game where I am trying (and succeeding!) to protect the native tribes from European colonization, mostly because I like the money their fur trade is bringing in. I have defeated Spain three times and France once trying to colonize the Creek and Maya, I sorta want them to westernize so It wont be as difficult

I would think it would depend on if you will be trying to defeat your enemies by dropping their morale and routing them or by just killing them straight up.

Personally I would probably go commandant if defending in mountains or hills to maximise the enemy casualties but go for Grand Cpt if its flatter terrain.

I'm by no means an expert! :D

Also depends on what your full morale is. If you have 4+ morale an extra 0.3 isn't going to make much difference while discipline becomes more important the higher everyone's morale gets.

Byzantium, late 1454 here. I've taken Turkey and most of Greece, and I have Bosnia, Serbia and Romania* as vassals in the west, Georgia (in Imereti only) and Armenia (Van + Armenia) in the east. My Romanian and Georgian vassals border the Golden Horde, my Georgian and Armenian vassals border the Qara Koyunlu and my Armenian vassal borders the Timurids.

HOWEVER, despite the GH and QK truces expiring, they did not DOW. Furthermore, when I went to DOW them (as a test), I got the standard-issue "Nomads cannot be at war with their neighbors" sign. I know it's not because of the vassals, as Romania dragged me into the last war with the Golden Horde. Further, I can tell something's up because when I hover over the truces tab, it says "Truce [with GH] expires on April durp, 1454" and it's well into autumn 1454. Same story with QK, except June hurp instead. Wassapwidat?

EDIT: Screencap below. And yes, Romania - the asterisk is there for a reason, namely that I edited the "Byzantium does NOT exist" condition out of the FormRomanianNation.text file, for obvious reasons.
EDIT2: More data. The truce was extended five more years and I'm not totally sure why. I guess we'll see what happens. The truce with Tamerlane and friends is going to end soon as well.
EDIT3: More data again. Timurid truce expired and the same thing happened; no war, no ability to declare war. I'm not allied to Georgia or Armenia, and I suspect that may be the catch here. (edit4: nope. allied, no war)

HOFBq.jpg

Last edited:
Also, when the hell is naval combat ever going to make sense? In that same game I'm fighting Venice. Our admirals literally have the exact same stat (1 maneuver). My armada has 20 carracks, 10 cogs and 28 galleys to Venice's 8 carracks, 25 galleys and 12 cogs.

I've run this test about 10 times now to make sure I'm not just getting fluky losses - but Venice absolutely kicks my ass every single time. It makes no sense whatsoever. I should be absolutely trashing them - my positioning value is in the low-40s, theirs in the low-30s, I have more than twice as many cannons as they, and their morale can't be much higher than mine (I'm one tech level behind, 7 to their 8; neither of us have naval morale modifiers from National Ideas, and I can't imagine the maybe +.2 morale at most they get from being more naval oriented than me is accounting for this). What the hell is going wrong?

Eden: What version are you playing? In 5.1, you should get an automatic truce everytime the truce is up since you don't border the hordes yourself. In 5.2 you should get a standard horde war.
It could be that you weren't allied. In the edit 4, were you allied when the truce ended?

Eden: What version are you playing? In 5.1, you should get an automatic truce everytime the truce is up since you don't border the hordes yourself. In 5.2 you should get a standard horde war.
It could be that you weren't allied. In the edit 4, were you allied when the truce ended?
Version 5.1, yes (which is probably the reason for the naval combat whining, lol). And yes, you're right, the auto-truce is exactly what I'm getting. Also, yes, in edit4 I had accepted alliances with Georgia and Armenia and didn't get horde war. I'm not sure why I got a horde war the first time I had this situation (with Romania bordering), unless maybe I had accidentally captured Trebizond before then (which would, at the time, have given me a border with the GH in Trebizond-Imereti).

I guess I have a choice now for upgrading to 5.2... sanity in naval battles (George LeS has been reporting that naval combat in 5.2 is MUCH better, in case anyone hasn't heard) or sanity in dealing with hordes. What to pick? Ah, the joys of Byzantium.

Also, when the hell is naval combat ever going to make sense? In that same game I'm fighting Venice. Our admirals literally have the exact same stat (1 maneuver). My armada has 20 carracks, 10 cogs and 28 galleys to Venice's 8 carracks, 25 galleys and 12 cogs.

I've run this test about 10 times now to make sure I'm not just getting fluky losses - but Venice absolutely kicks my ass every single time. It makes no sense whatsoever. I should be absolutely trashing them - my positioning value is in the low-40s, theirs in the low-30s, I have more than twice as many cannons as they, and their morale can't be much higher than mine (I'm one tech level behind, 7 to their 8; neither of us have naval morale modifiers from National Ideas, and I can't imagine the maybe +.2 morale at most they get from being more naval oriented than me is accounting for this). What the hell is going wrong?

I am by no means expert, but:

1. Yes, 5.1 is very flawed here. Undoubtedly they are ganging up on a few of your weakest ships, but then, your fleet should be doing the same.

2. As best I can tell, one of the most decisive things is the ratio of the tech table modifiers. At 8:7, the only difference is in fire, the shock #s being identical. The ratio here is 10:9 (.5 vs .45) for all types. There's not much I'm certain of here, but one thing is that the tech table values do NOT work as in land, as multipliers to the attack values, simply.

3. I would try to look at all the factors going into the morale differences. Have you saved the game before/during the battle(s). If so, load as each country to check the exact naval morale values, and what determine them. I am certain that your morale values directly affect the damage you do. Once, in a war against a small ROTW country, I forgot to raise my slider. I wasn't getting kicked, as I had immense advantages everywhere else, but I wasn't doing much damage. I've been watching since, and it's clearly true. HOW it affects it, I cannot say; I can't put a number to it.

You don't state the exact results, so it's not clear just how (that is, in what manner rather than why)you are being beaten. Ships do sink by routing in 5.1.

I edited my save but now it crashes when I try to load it.

You have to be careful. This is what you must edit:

Code:
gameplaysettings=
{
	setgameplayoptions=
	{
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 3 3 0 0 	}
}

It is right below the global flags, relatively near the top.

Make sure you change the correct number, and that it is to a possible option.

You have to be careful. This is what you must edit:

Code:
gameplaysettings=
{
	setgameplayoptions=
	{
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 3 3 0 0 	}
}

It is right below the global flags, relatively near the top.

Make sure you change the correct number, and that it is to a possible option.

Thank you, was it the sixth place?(from left)
I changed that back to zero.

Last edited:
I just recently got EU3 (Chronicles). I'm playing my first real game with Denmark, but now something odd happened. I tried my best to keep the personal unions with Sweden and Norway intact, I had relations over 100 with both, but now that my first king died both countries left the personal union. Why is that? I thought they'd only leave if we had poor relations. What have I missed?

Does the AI just get automatic better luck in battles? I'm playing as Austria and got in a big war with Austria who was allied to Switzerland who had a core on Tirol and tried to take it. The Burgundians had a much larger army but 2/3s of it were cavalry, so they should have had a penalty no? But every battle unless I massively outnumbered them they would massacre my troops and then be faster than my routing army. They destroyed 60 regiments before I finally managed to convince a large Bohemia to ally me and we marched in around from the North taking Brandenburg and such, but still they kept getting ridiculous casualty rates against my armies and chasing them around to instant destruction. I'm playing on normal, am slightly to quality, have military drill, a 8 mil skill king compared to their 6 skill, and worst of all I'm land tech 11 while they're still 9. I mean a few battles in Switzerland went a weird way where I would do massive casualties but lose(like a 30k vs 35k battle, I would lose but only have like 3k casualties total while Burg would lose 5k each inf and cav) Just don't get it.

Also, do buildings get destroyed on conquest in DW?