• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks ANO1453! It's 1450 and I've just selected QFTNW as my second national idea. Would you then loweder the govt. and trade slider and even the sliders out a bit? :)
No, even sliders is mostly a waste. Depending on your position (which country are you?) there are things that don't matter or that will only matter later.

If you're colonising it's usually a good idea to spend more on naval than land, especially if you're GB but also if you're Portugal and have Spain/Castille in a safe position (alliance/access/marriage/good relations/etc).

If I integrate my PU partners, will I still get cores if I am from the same culture group like when I inherit them?

Last edited:
If I integrate my PU partners, will I still get cores if I am from the same culture group like when I inherit them?
No, you don't get any cores when you integrate.

Expanding Influence. And it only gives cores on provinces adjacent to one of your cores (the alternative is losing a chunk of trade tech investment).

Thank you. I was aware that event which give you cores on all provinces in india region would be overdone. Now it all makes sense.

to culture shift, do you need to have a majority of your provinces the same culture as your capitol, or just a plurality?
Plurality.

Can anyone explain the system of naval combat to me? As Sweden, my fleet got crushed by the Teutonic Order though I had around 15 carracks and 15 galleys and they had 7 carracks, but we got crushed. Our tech levels are the same, and my naval organization is at the max. I don't know what happened. I thought that maybe my ships were disorganized, so I made a force of 7 carracks and 7 galleys and lost to a 10-carrack Dutch force. Again, I had full naval organization. Why's this happening?

ANO1453, I'm playing as England. What should I focus on? Naval, trade and production? Also, is there any way to load a saved game without having to quit to desktop and re-start?

You can resign and load from the main menu.

Technology depends on what you want to focus on. I'd guess naval or trade. You need trade 7 to colonize, and naval will help you with naval superiority and colonization.

Can anyone explain the system of naval combat to me? As Sweden, my fleet got crushed by the Teutonic Order though I had around 15 carracks and 15 galleys and they had 7 carracks, but we got crushed. Our tech levels are the same, and my naval organization is at the max. I don't know what happened. I thought that maybe my ships were disorganized, so I made a force of 7 carracks and 7 galleys and lost to a 10-carrack Dutch force. Again, I had full naval organization. Why's this happening?

Bigger fleets suffer from positioning penalties. That shouldn't be an issue with fleets that small, though. Do you have naval maintenance on full? Do you have an admiral? Do they?

Bigger fleets suffer from positioning penalties. That shouldn't be an issue with fleets that small, though. Do you have naval maintenance on full? Do you have an admiral? Do they?

No, I don't have an admiral, but they didn't either. Yeah, I never turn my maintenances down (I'm rather forgetful when it comes to declaring war). I don't know, usually I start out with like a third of the morale bar filled when I first start combat. I'm not sure why.

No, I don't have an admiral, but they didn't either. Yeah, I never turn my maintenances down (I'm rather forgetful when it comes to declaring war). I don't know, usually I start out with like a third of the morale bar filled when I first start combat. I'm not sure why.

Did you watch the battle? Sometimes ridiculous die rolls make a difference, although that shouldn't be with those numbers. Still, I cannot be sure. Did you check the positioning #s during the battle. What were your tech levels, ideas, policies, and advisors. Since your country is probably much bigger, it could be that they've teched much faster. Also, are you playing 5.1 or 5.2. Naval combat in 5.2 is vastly better. For a maritime nut like me, it's the best patch, ever.

The question about morale is whether you both are at approximately the same, or does the enemy start out at or near full? If the latter, that would explain it. Also, just putting maintenance to full doesn't instantly raise morale. You have to wait a month or 2 to get to max (although you imply this wasn't an issue.)

Did you watch the battle? Sometimes ridiculous die rolls make a difference, although that shouldn't be with those numbers. Still, I cannot be sure. Did you check the positioning #s during the battle. What were your tech levels, ideas, policies, and advisors. Since your country is probably much bigger, it could be that they've teched much faster. Also, are you playing 5.1 or 5.2. Naval combat in 5.2 is vastly better. For a maritime nut like me, it's the best patch, ever.
The question about morale is whether you both are at approximately the same, or does the enemy start out at or near full? If the latter, that would explain it. Also, just putting maintenance to full doesn't instantly raise morale. You have to wait a month or 2 to get to max (although you imply this wasn't an issue.)

Yeah, I watched the battle. No, there weren't three straight zeros or anything. However, I'm playing DW 5.0. And usually I start with 1/3 of normal morale and the enemy usually about 2/3.

ANO1453, I'm playing as England. What should I focus on? Naval, trade and production? Also, is there any way to load a saved game without having to quit to desktop and re-start?
Yes, Trade and Naval. Naval gets you ahead in colonisation while protecting you, Trade will be the main source of your income for quite some time.

Yeah, I watched the battle. No, there weren't three straight zeros or anything. However, I'm playing DW 5.0. And usually I start with 1/3 of normal morale and the enemy usually about 2/3.

Since I was unable to play until 5.1, I don't know what bugs you may've run into.

5.2b is so much better, that I urge you to register & get it.

usually I start out with like a third of the morale bar filled when I first start combat. I'm not sure why.
That means that their starting morale is three times what yours is, I believe. So if you have 2, they have 6. No wonder you're losing the battle. :) (Or it could be that you have 1/3 of the total combined morale, which would mean theirs is twice yours: 2 versus 4, for example.)

Are they much higher tech than you? Do they have higher prestige? Does their monarch have a higher MIL value than yours? Is their Land/Naval slider further to Naval than yours? Are they Defender of the Faith? Do they have the Superior Seamanship national idea? Do they have a Grand Admiral adviser? Did you go bankrupt? Did they get the Naval Reform random event recently? Have they taken the Convoy System decision? Are you playing on harder than Normal difficulty?

All those things can affect naval morale.

That means that their starting morale is three times what yours is, I believe. So if you have 2, they have 6. No wonder you're losing the battle. :) (Or it could be that you have 1/3 of the total combined morale, which would mean theirs is twice yours: 2 versus 4, for example.)

Are they much higher tech than you? Do they have higher prestige? Does their monarch have a higher MIL value than yours? Is their Land/Naval slider further to Naval than yours? Are they Defender of the Faith? Do they have the Superior Seamanship national idea? Do they have a Grand Admiral adviser? Did you go bankrupt? Did they get the Naval Reform random event recently? Have they taken the Convoy System decision? Are you playing on harder than Normal difficulty?

All those things can affect naval morale.

Wow, okay, thanks a lot. My prestige is usually around 80 (hell, I'm Sweden. No one can really hurt me besides Novgorod) but you're right, I didn't think about the MIL value or the slider. Sweden starts out with a biased land slider, and my king's MIL is rather pathetic. Thanks.

But when it comes to positioning penalties, what's the optimal setup for the Baltic/Kattegat for the early game? It's only about 1450.

One more question: If I'm not in the HRE, and land I take is, will I get the Unlawful Territory malice? If I get it, I'll have a positive BB/year change, just for being at peace, but I'd like to recreate the Swedish empire, but I don't have any Baltic cores... In my Holland game, I started expanding east towards the HRE, and the unlawful territory thing made me go to like 40 BB for being at peace for 50 years.