• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's not. It's 238%. The 0.5 term is completely separated from the Tariff Efficiency; the overall efficiency is 0.5 * Tariff Efficiency, not 0.5 + Tariff Efficiency.

If you dial down the Tariff Efficiency to 200% in that example, you'll come up with a tariff of 13.23 and an income of 13.90. If you dial down Tangier's population units to 1.0, you get an income of 13.56. Which seems close enough since both of those provinces have buildings in them.

Well, I just counted my tariffs from being +100% sea-lanes, +33% viceroys, +25% trading in slaves, +25% naval, and +5% british merchant navy.

What do you guys think about trade value?

If I can get +102% trade value. Is that better (and being mercantilism), or is it better to not cut the demand (-50% if not free trade) of my colonies?

Depends on your current trade value and demand. In this case the +demand is better when demand is less than half of your total trade income modifier (51% to be precise). As in, if your trade income modifier is 115% (base 100% + 15% from prestige) and your demand 50%, you'd want to take the +demand. If you trade income modifier is 115% and your demand 60%, you'd want to take the +102% trade income modifier.

Note that trade income modifier affects all your provinces, while the -50% from being too mercantilistic only affects select trade goods. Also note that the formula breaks down at high enough demand, because demand has a cap.

Hi. Is it possible to edit a save file so I will not randomly discover half of the world due to one event? I am having an awesome game fighting the mysterious Timurids and knowing just about 2 provinces off the border + exploring the uncharted Arabian Penninsula during sesonal wars with the countries there when suddenly I get hit with this event which gives me the knowledge of just about everything up to Indochina :(

How can it be changed in the savegame?

Hi. Is it possible to edit a save file so I will not randomly discover half of the world due to one event? I am having an awesome game fighting the mysterious Timurids and knowing just about 2 provinces off the border + exploring the uncharted Arabian Penninsula during sesonal wars with the countries there when suddenly I get hit with this event which gives me the knowledge of just about everything up to Indochina :(

How can it be changed in the savegame?

It's not an event I think. When you grab a province that is coastal to that area you get that knowledge? >_>.

Sea-lane efficiency is also different from Tariff Efficiency. But yes, in your case you'd have +188% Tariff Efficiency. And so connecting your provinces would most likely get you both more income and more money.

What do you think of the other pros and cons? I hear it's harder for reformation to hit overseas province, but it's also harder to get cardinals for overseas provinces. I would not get war exhaustion for overseas provinces, but I would also get more naval forcelimits and other bonuses if they were connected (I think)

On the EU3-wiki there is a modifier that says +700% (protection from reformation) if I am iberian or latin. (Culture group)

Does this mean my general culture group, or culture in a province?

Can northern german provinces still become protestant or whatever? Do they have this protection?

On the EU3-wiki there is a modifier that says +700% (protection from reformation) if I am iberian or latin. (Culture group)

Does this mean my general culture group, or culture in a province?

Can northern german provinces still become protestant or whatever? Do they have this protection?
It's a province event, so all modifiers that can apply at both a national and provincial level (culture in this case) are taken from the province.

Anyone know what decisions disappear when you change the national idea that was needed for them? I hear some do this, but don't know which ones.

Anyone know what decisions disappear when you change the national idea that was needed for them? I hear some do this, but don't know which ones.
Any decision which disappears when you change your country in some significant way (like switching government type, enacting another national decision, etc) has a corresponding event. I'm not sure anyone has bothered to build a comprehensive list of them, but digging through all the events should provide one fairly easily (since there are only a handful which revert). The only ones that I can think of are Separation of Powers (when you switch away from Constitutional Monarchy), Implement the Gold Standard (when your inflation goes over 10), the Popery Act (when you convert to Catholic), and Embrace the Counter-Reformation (when you convert away from Catholic).

What is the best way/CB to get to expand in Europe ? I'm playing as the Netherlands and min infamy needed as I'm a trading nation and infamy will kill my economy. I have the biggest Army and manpower in the world, biggest navy and economy. but still can't expand that much due to the crappy Cb's i get :( ?

What is the best way/CB to get to expand in Europe ? I'm playing as the Netherlands and min infamy needed as I'm a trading nation and infamy will kill my economy. I have the biggest Army and manpower in the world, biggest navy and economy. but still can't expand that much due to the crappy Cb's i get :( ?

Check my thread "Just had an interesting game". And you will find the ultimate CB =P. Excommunication!

It's also not really useful advice in a general game where you don't want to become the papal states.

For a more standard expansion in europe, you might consider either forcing PUs onto everyone you can, which gives you expansion for zero infamy, taking stuff you get mission or cores from events on, maybe grabbing one or two other provinces from time to time for the full 4 infamy, just not to many at once so you don't ruin your compete chance, and wait for Absolute Monarchy for a 2 infamy cb against everyone. Maybe diplovassalise some guys if you have a large enough SoI.

Generally speaking, the need to trade does not really influence your ability to expand, just avoid getting uncored CoTs and you are fine. There is no difference in expansion speed when you are between 1-4 infamy all the time, and when you are between 25-28.

Another way I've learned to expand for cheap. You can take provinces that are cored by a nation that isn't in existence yet (like taking Tirol cores in Austria as Switzerland.) for the full 4 infamy hit. Then release the cored nation as a vassal. You get 2 infamy taken off per province. So they are 2 infamy per vassal provinces. It isn't the best way, but also an option.

Hmm, didn't see this one in the 'search' function...

Can you use the released sprite packs with mods by simply installing them to the appropriate mod folder?

Got passed by...any thoughts?

Thanks!

Is this supposed to be fun??

OK, I'll admit that I'm still super-noob, but am getting a bit frustrated. This game seems a lot like Texas Hold 'em Poker -- 25% skill and 75% luck. After a few false starts as Castille and then Burgundy, I finally got a good start as Burgundy. It is now about 1500; I have finished most of the missions OK, and put up with the various ups & downs caused by the "random events." A month ago I was doing pretty well -- a good strong military and good manpower, building level 3 buildings everywhere, Legitimacy = 100, Prestige = 80, BB = Zero, WE under 2, four strong HRE votes lined up for when the old fart from Austria finally dies. The only weak point was my 26-year-old heir, whose claim was weak. Well, damned if my 90-year-old king didn't finally up & die this month. ZAP! Legitimacy immediately drops to -30, Prestige drops to about 50, I lose all my RMs + I lose all my hard-won HRE votes. So, well, OK I think, my Legitimacy is supposed to increase by +2.3 per year so in 30-40 years everything will be peachy again. So I fast-forward for a year or two, and see my Legitimacy go from -30 to -31 to -32 (while the tool tip says it should be increasing by 2.3 each year). What the hell? I feel like I should reload a saved game from 26 years ago and drown the little bastard when he's first born!:mad: Would that be the only solution?

OK, I'll admit that I'm still super-noob, but am getting a bit frustrated. This game seems a lot like Texas Hold 'em Poker -- 25% skill and 75% luck. After a few false starts as Castille and then Burgundy, I finally got a good start as Burgundy. It is now about 1500; I have finished most of the missions OK, and put up with the various ups & downs caused by the "random events." A month ago I was doing pretty well -- a good strong military and good manpower, building level 3 buildings everywhere, Legitimacy = 100, Prestige = 80, BB = Zero, WE under 2, four strong HRE votes lined up for when the old fart from Austria finally dies. The only weak point was my 26-year-old heir, whose claim was weak. Well, damned if my 90-year-old king didn't finally up & die this month. ZAP! Legitimacy immediately drops to -30, Prestige drops to about 50, I lose all my RMs + I lose all my hard-won HRE votes. So, well, OK I think, my Legitimacy is supposed to increase by +2.3 per year so in 30-40 years everything will be peachy again. So I fast-forward for a year or two, and see my Legitimacy go from -30 to -31 to -32 (while the tool tip says it should be increasing by 2.3 each year). What the hell? I feel like I should reload a saved game from 26 years ago and drown the little bastard when he's first born!:mad: Would that be the only solution?

I can talk to you on irc/msn if you want.

There is zero luck involved in Texas Hold 'Em.

As for your problem: you can hire the very good legitimacy adviser, you can get more royal marriages (you should have a decent SoI by now so no one will refuse), you can discover China and spam some merchants there for the Chinaware bonus, or you can switch to a republic.