• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am playing Venice, why I cant send my merchants to Hanza cot, france cot?

Also, should I take more provinces or keep it only 2-3 as venice?

Any other suggestions what-to-do as Venice?:D

I am playing Venice, why I cant send my merchants to Hanza cot, france cot?

Also, should I take more provinces or keep it only 2-3 as venice?

Any other suggestions what-to-do as Venice?:D

Those CoTs are outside your trade range - it's dependent on your trade tech and measures from your nearest province - and, being mercantilistic, it's highly unlikely that you'd be able to keep merchants there anyway. For a challenge - OPM yourself, then expand your trade league, vassalise all of your enemies and tech stupidly fast. Alternatively, go for conquering / destroying every world CoT, getting everyone into your League and getting both Sound Tolls.

Why in the blue yonder can you not conquer colonies like the AI does? I was colonizing the Americas as France, when Prussia gets involved in one of England's silly wars with me. I don't have anyone stationed in New France, but Prussia sends over a single regiment of cavalry. They manage to walk around and conquer all of my colonies. I win the war, obviously, but when I go to make a peace agreement, it turns out that the game considers my reconquered conquered colonies as Prussian territory, and will charge me 40 infamy to take them.

Please, please, please tell me that this issue is fixed in 5.1 beta.

Why in the blue yonder can you not conquer colonies like the AI does? I was colonizing the Americas as France, when Prussia gets involved in one of England's silly wars with me. I don't have anyone stationed in New France, but Prussia sends over a single regiment of cavalry. They manage to walk around and conquer all of my colonies. I win the war, obviously, but when I go to make a peace agreement, it turns out that the game considers my reconquered conquered colonies as Prussian territory, and will charge me 40 infamy to take them.

Please, please, please tell me that this issue is fixed in 5.1 beta.

Seize them back in the war, don't take them in a peace treaty. Move an army into the occupied colonies and there should be an option for "seize colony".

You should have defended them. They'll also have nationalism now, too, when they become cities.

How to destroy cot?

If a CoT is worth less than 300 ducats and you own it, you can destroy it by clicking on a button on the province screen.

In 4.1, if you build a War College or an Admiralty in your capital and then move your capital, will the War College/Admiralty disappear from the old capital, or will you be able to build two Colleges/Admiralties?

War College and Admiralty are not limited to your capital, you can build them anywhere pretty much. Moving your capital won't affect those buildings(nor will you be able to build a second).

War College and Admiralty are not limited to your capital, you can build them anywhere pretty much. Moving your capital won't affect those buildings(nor will you be able to build a second).

He's asking about 4.1. 4.1 is NOT Divine Wind. 4.1 has completely different buildings.

In 4.1, I believe that the War College/Admirality is destroyed upon capital move and you have to rebuild it. You cannot have two.

I always thought it was weird that Europe is chock full of regions, but they more or less stop or become very generic when you look elsewhere. Is there a mod that changes this?

HI guys, and thx for all the great advice so far.

Three questions.

When starting as an american native what should one set as the primary research goal, which slider moves to make and can you switch to monarcy apon reaching gov lev 2?

I know the first two depend on style of play, but in generel...

Thanks for answering my question, now I'll give answering a try:

HI guys, and thx for all the great advice so far.

Three questions.

When starting as an american native what should one set as the primary research goal, which slider moves to make and can you switch to monarcy apon reaching gov lev 2?

I know the first two depend on style of play, but in generel...

1.) Land tech all the way then fort up all your provinces. That is, if you want to surive long enough to westernize.

2.) Centralization and Innovation for the eventual government change and westernize.

3.) Nope, you can only change out of tribal government at tech 10 in DW, pluse Centralization and Innovation of less than +2 and then via decision Reform Government.

Last edited:
A newbie question. I've now got Brittany in a position where, once Burgundy peaces out from their latest war - with Venice - Brittany can request vassalisation. As I understand, the main pro is, Burgundy will automatically defend me, the main con is, I lose income (50% of taxes? or 50% of all income?) Is that right?

A newbie question. I've now got Brittany in a position where, once Burgundy peaces out from their latest war - with Venice - Brittany can request vassalisation. As I understand, the main pro is, Burgundy will automatically defend me, the main con is, I lose income (50% of taxes? or 50% of all income?) Is that right?

Of course it all depends on what you think is the biggest con. But the worst thing about vassalisation is imho, the inability to lead an independent foreign policy.
Also I think I remember something about a bug where the vassal fees (50 % of your income) don't get deducted from the vassal, but just magically appears in the overlords coffers. Don't know if it's been changed though.

Is there any way to remove yourself from being an electorate? playing brandenburg...

I don't think so... other than leaving/dismantling the HRE of course.

Can I install the latest beta patch on a fresh copy of DW or should I go back and install each of the various beta patches in order? (I modified some files so I wanted to make a fresh install to get back into the game after a couple-month hiatus)

Can I install the latest beta patch on a fresh copy of DW or should I go back and install each of the various beta patches in order? (I modified some files so I wanted to make a fresh install to get back into the game after a couple-month hiatus)

A fresh copy is fine, the beta patches are cumulative.