• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why do the King Louis 'the sun king' type leaders die in weeks but the George W Bush skilled leaders live for 60 years?
Have you done a documented study of a few hundred in-game rulers, none of which have been made military leaders, that indicate this?
Why am I still getting 'resist westernization' despite having been westernized for over 100 years and the government has been westernized and is an admin republic for 15 years. Despite that I'm still getting spammed events all at once just forcing either mass revolts or just pushing my stabilization back down...
Presumably you're running HttT or DW which means you need to westernize your military to remove the modifier and stop the events. That means your available unit types will change to western types.

Have you done a documented study of a few hundred in-game rulers, none of which have been made military leaders, that indicate this?

Presumably you're running HttT or DW which means you need to westernize your military to remove the modifier and stop the events. That means your available unit types will change to western types.

What about military leaders? I mean ANY skills at all. I look at the stat page, everything has a - except admin has one star. That is it, he lasts for freaking 60 years, I get one good one and he lasts two years.

As far as military westernization I point to the HORRIBLE track record with my nation and leaders...

Also, another question, for an era where weaponry did not really develop and change that much except for the jump from swords to muskets... why do the tech levels cause such a MASSIVE difference? I'm at 30, enemy is at 50, that is not THAT much of a difference... yeah my weapons are not as good but its should not act like I'm throwing rocks at them.

What about military leaders?
It appears to be the case that turning your ruler into a general at all makes him more likely to die (the suspicion is that the game is applying both death-of-king and death-of-general checks to him). Attaching him to an army that storms forts or loses battles further imperils his life.

I mean ANY skills at all. I look at the stat page, everything has a - except admin has one star. That is it, he lasts for freaking 60 years, I get one good one and he lasts two years.
And you clung to monarchy in the face of such awful luck why, exactly?

As far as military westernization I point to the HORRIBLE track record with my nation and leaders...
Republics say hi.

Also, another question, for an era where weaponry did not really develop and change that much except for the jump from swords to muskets... why do the tech levels cause such a MASSIVE difference? I'm at 30, enemy is at 50, that is not THAT much of a difference... yeah my weapons are not as good but its should not act like I'm throwing rocks at them.
Improvements in the understanding of logistics, tactics, and strategy. Better training. More reliable firearms. Better quality gunpowder. Towards the very end of the era, replacing powder horns and bags of shot with greased-paper cartridges containing a musket ball and a pre-measured charge of powder.

What about military leaders? I mean ANY skills at all. I look at the stat page, everything has a - except admin has one star. That is it, he lasts for freaking 60 years, I get one good one and he lasts two years.

leader skills are pretty random: a dice roll (1-8) determines their stats where every 1 or 2 result is 'corrected' up to 3. one must add that republican governments tend to have better leaders - I think this represents that they are actually elected (possibly because of the skills they possess) and not just born to their position.
the same randomness applies to their lifespan - I have had both crappy and demigod rulers for ~50 years. it's about sheer luck, there is no connection between skill and health.

as for the tech. part: according to EU3 wiki the tech gap between 30 and 50 represents equally a hundred years (average year of 1655 vs 1765) - think about it: in 1655 (shortly after the 30 Years War) the drilling of soldiers (mainly mercenaries at that time) was just begun, there were no bayonets (pikemen defended musketeers from attacks if any) and the reliability of gunpowder weapons was very questionable at least. in 1765 hundreds of thousands of heavily drilled, well equipped, professionally led (that's very important - that is what military tactics represents in the game) armies in uniforms marched across Europe not to mention the constant development in the case of field artillery and the whole reorganization of the role of the cavalry in battles.
a well-led batallion of 1765 would wipe the floor with 'armies' of 1655 in any time (not to mention possible terrain advantages and/or differences in for example the fire pips of the generals - if any). so what you described is quite accurate if you ask me.

I'm currently Pommernia (sp?) and I'm trying to form Prussia. I have all the cores, the reformation has started and all that other stuff, and was at war with Burgundy, who only recently became the Emperor.

At the same time as trying to become Prussia, I am trying to dismantle the HRE, as I've never done it before. While I was at war with Burgundy, the decision to form Kingdom of Prussia was seen, and then I defeated the Emperor, dismantled the HRE (I had most electors as vassals, except one, whose capital I also captured), and then ended the war. Once all the previous requirements to form Prussia was completed, I could no longer see the decision.

So does the HRE need to be around for me to become Prussia? basically my question.

I'm also playing D&T, which I know changes some of the requirements but I didn't realise to such an extent.
Thanks.

I'm currently Pommernia (sp?) and I'm trying to form Prussia. I have all the cores, the reformation has started and all that other stuff, and was at war with Burgundy, who only recently became the Emperor.

At the same time as trying to become Prussia, I am trying to dismantle the HRE, as I've never done it before. While I was at war with Burgundy, the decision to form Kingdom of Prussia was seen, and then I defeated the Emperor, dismantled the HRE (I had most electors as vassals, except one, whose capital I also captured), and then ended the war. Once all the previous requirements to form Prussia was completed, I could no longer see the decision.

So does the HRE need to be around for me to become Prussia? basically my question.

I'm also playing D&T, which I know changes some of the requirements but I didn't realise to such an extent.
Thanks.

To form Prussia as a German nation in D&T, you have to be a member of the HRE. This reflects the fact that basically the only reason why the Kingdom of Prussia was formed at all was because the rulers of Brandenburg-Prussia wanted a royal title. This was because Brandenburg itself was only a margraviate at the time. The King of Bohemia was the only member of the Empire permitted to hold a royal title aside from the Emperor (though, of course, the two were one and the same from 1558 onwards).

It appears to be the case that turning your ruler into a general at all makes him more likely to die (the suspicion is that the game is applying both death-of-king and death-of-general checks to him). Attaching him to an army that storms forts or loses battles further imperils his life.

And you clung to monarchy in the face of such awful luck why, exactly?

Republics say hi.

Improvements in the understanding of logistics, tactics, and strategy. Better training. More reliable firearms. Better quality gunpowder. Towards the very end of the era, replacing powder horns and bags of shot with greased-paper cartridges containing a musket ball and a pre-measured charge of powder.

I get there WAS tech advancement, but a volly of musket balls is still a volly. The tech should not negate numbers at that point.

I did not cling to a monarchy, I clung to a tribal democracy because I NEEDED the admin skill to change the government to anything besides that, which is where my issue came in! The string of horrible leaders held on for so long that I got so far behind just because of bad dice rolls in skills.

And to Vaszitjevics, I get there can be a mass difference between pikemen and musteers but when the units I have a swivel cannons and westernized american infantry... yeah that is NOT pike men.

Also, I dont get the 'foreign arms trade' event. If I am buying foreign guns it should make my men better not give me a higher tech investment rate... I'm not getting the forign weapons and studying then, I'm giving them to my soldiers!

got to one point that I had taken part of Sicily in a war. After a while the peasants revolted, they had the tech of the country I beat, which is 30 levels above me... HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN. If I am holding that area I should get those weapons, or else how do the rebels get those weapons? Either they are available or not.

I'm just so frustrated over this! My game suddenly turned from #5 in the world to number 113 because Castille declared war on me and is demanding the release of EVERY SINGLE NATION I ever conquered all the way back to Zapotec I beat within a year of the start of the game, its now 1780! They never even heard of the Zapotec people! They are demanding every one of my colonies, revoking of my vassals, and money. All under the 'colonization' CB which is BULL considering I'm not a minor native nation anymore, I'm a westernized world power! Then all of my allies forsake me, well, Bohemia allies me, within a month they take a payoff from Castille and abandon me again. I played up to this point wtihout cheating at all but its gotten to the point that its just insane

I get there WAS tech advancement, but a volly of musket balls is still a volly. The tech should not negate numbers at that point.
Considering only those factors applicable to the effectiveness of a single soldier and his personal firearm, Land Tech 50 musket formations will have better drill (higher rate of fire), straighter and snugger-fitting gun barrels (higher muzzle velocity and hence longer effective range), and more consistent gunpowder (making the guns less likely to misfire, hangfire, or break) than Land Tech 30 musket formations. These three factors act synergistically to make the Land Tech 50 musket formation drastically more effective than the Land Tech 30 one (especially once factors like better officers, better tactics, and better logistics come into play).

I did not cling to a monarchy, I clung to a tribal democracy because I NEEDED the admin skill to change the government to anything besides that, which is where my issue came in!
Ah. I'd missed the bit where you were a tribal country (rather than merely one with a lousy tech group).

Bohemia allies me, within a month they take a payoff from Castille and abandon me again.
Why did you ever expect the AI to do anything but that? That sounds like normal behaviour for the AI at all times and in all places. (I'd also be very surprised if you've never screwed an AI country over in much the same way.)

Does base tax represent anything in particular? Venezia has a base tax of 10, while Danzig's is 12. Does that mean that the average Venetian is a little poorer than the average citizen of Danzig?

I'm just so frustrated over this! My game suddenly turned from #5 in the world to number 113 because Castille declared war on me and is demanding the release of EVERY SINGLE NATION I ever conquered all the way back to Zapotec I beat within a year of the start of the game, its now 1780! They never even heard of the Zapotec people! They are demanding every one of my colonies, revoking of my vassals, and money. All under the 'colonization' CB which is BULL considering I'm not a minor native nation anymore, I'm a westernized world power! Then all of my allies forsake me, well, Bohemia allies me, within a month they take a payoff from Castille and abandon me again. I played up to this point wtihout cheating at all but its gotten to the point that its just insane

Did you move your national focus around in the first hundred years when you couldn't do much of anything to remove the Zapotec cores? If you did, then I don't know how they would know about them. Otherwise, they probably know about the Zapotecs for the same reason that I know that there could be a country called Pegu in Taungu's territory - I looked at the map and saw a core for a country other than the one that I was fighting.

I'm playing as the Ottomans and am in the middle of Westernization.

I'm trying to get the Modernize Military national decision to light up, but it says it requires Centralization vs Decentralization less than -4. I'm currently at -3, the limit for my government. Does this mean I need max centralization (-5)? That seems almost impossible since it'll require two slider moves and there are chances for decentralization events during Westernization..

Does base tax represent anything in particular? Venezia has a base tax of 10, while Danzig's is 12. Does that mean that the average Venetian is a little poorer than the average citizen of Danzig?
I don't believe that the base tax reflects personal wealth. I believe base tax to be a rough valuation of that province's contribution to the economy. I'd like to be more specific, but some base taxes are baffling to me. Beijing has huge population but a base tax of 7, despite that the population tooltip says that population numbers can increase tax and production value. Maybe the 'spices' includes opium and they are smoking the profits? Base tax seems to vary widely, even when province size, geography, population, and major trade commodity are the same.

Westernization... I'm trying to get the Modernize Military national decision to light up, but it says it requires Centralization vs Decentralization less than -4. I'm currently at -3, the limit for my government. Does this mean I need max centralization (-5)? That seems almost impossible since it'll require two slider moves and there are chances for decentralization events during Westernization..
Yes, it means that you need max Centralization. You can move those sliders past the "limit" red lines - but they will cause an additional revolt risk of +1 in all provinces per slider position. Given that further centralization also increases taxes, I do that frequently. Yes, there are events, but most of them give you some choice in the matter. Granted they're often a choice between bad and worse, but the ultimate goal is a worthy cause.

That seems almost impossible since it'll require two slider moves and there are chances for decentralization events during Westernization..
Those events offer you two choices: "do something bad to your country" and "lock yourself out of the military westernization decision for ten years". Take the lockout option and make every possible effort in the interim to move towards meeting the requirements - you want to be eligible the day the lockout modifier wears off. If you aren't, take it again.

To form Prussia as a German nation in D&T, you have to be a member of the HRE. This reflects the fact that basically the only reason why the Kingdom of Prussia was formed at all was because the rulers of Brandenburg-Prussia wanted a royal title. This was because Brandenburg itself was only a margraviate at the time. The King of Bohemia was the only member of the Empire permitted to hold a royal title aside from the Emperor (though, of course, the two were one and the same from 1558 onwards).
Ah thank you :) seems like I have to crush Burgundy another time.

Thanks!

I hope I have an old autosave before I took one of the decentralization options. I didn't realize that the Resist Western Influences tag goes away after 10 years. Thought it locked me out of the modernize military decision permanently!

How exactly we profit from provinces with gold mines? I've just colonized Golden Horde's province that produces gold. When I click on a province - in "production" I see about 60 gold income. When I click "economy" tab - I see "gold income" - 4.9

6 months passed, year changed and nothing happened. Since capturing this province did not give me more "ducats" (I have +146 ducats yearly like before) I thought that income from gold mines will be added on the first day of the year. I still fail to notice any (huge) increase in my treasury...

How exactly we profit from provinces with gold mines?
Income from a gold mine increases your monthly budget (the one you use to pay for research and stability), exactly as the economy screen shows you. The only income that goes into your annual budget is the "census tax" from your provinces.

I'm actually curious about this value:

2i23a1.jpg

What exactly it means and where this 58.64 goes, or - where it disappears, since I don't see this 58.64 anywhere in my budget?