• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I keep reading about being able to make a 'super-monopoly' in a CoT as a mercantilist, but whenever I already have six merchants I can't place more, extra ones I send don't succeed no matter the compete chance. Is there something I'm missing?

I keep reading about being able to make a 'super-monopoly' in a CoT as a mercantilist, but whenever I already have six merchants I can't place more, extra ones I send don't succeed no matter the compete chance. Is there something I'm missing?

If you have all the trade value, or close to it, and are full mercantile, you'll have ridiculous chances in a CoT. You can continue to send traders after 6 merchants which knock out other competitors and leave free seats. Since newcomers have to compete against you, they will almost always fail because of your ridiculous compete chance. When you are the only trader (you'll still be at 6, by the way) you get the full value of a CoT. Yeah. You saw that right. The entire thing.

It should look like this:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Soggyberty/EU3/gbr1694.jpg

See how there's 13 free slots? It should be the case that this will be possible as you can just keep sending merchants. However, it does require a lot of micromanaging to continue sending merchants there again and again and again.

The value is such a low percentage because I have about 50 billion nations embargoed.

Hello everyone.

I am meeting a weird situation. I assume it is a bug, but maybe it is linked to some changes after In nomine (I am playing with EU C right now) : even with tremendous Military culture (aka 80%), I can't create any general/amiral, even after waiting (and fighting) during more than 40 years. I didn't try with explorers (I played contiental in my last game), but this is weird.

So, bug, or can it be possible?

It means you probably have historical leaders on. Don't do that. It's fun for awhile but eventually your pool dies unless you're England, France, or Spain.

Also, why play with EU:C when you have HTTT and Divine Wind?

If you have all the trade value, or close to it, and are full mercantile, you'll have ridiculous chances in a CoT. You can continue to send traders after 6 merchants which knock out other competitors and leave free seats. Since newcomers have to compete against you, they will almost always fail because of your ridiculous compete chance. When you are the only trader (you'll still be at 6, by the way) you get the full value of a CoT. Yeah. You saw that right. The entire thing.
It should look like this:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Soggyberty/EU3/gbr1694.jpg

See how there's 13 free slots? It should be the case that this will be possible as you can just keep sending merchants. However, it does require a lot of micromanaging to continue sending merchants there again and again and again.

The value is such a low percentage because I have about 50 billion nations embargoed.
Thanks guys. :) I'm going to have to try that sometime.

Okay, another question: the paradoxian wiki page on initial slider positions (about halfway down) has an entry on the nation 'Etruria', which I assume is a central Italy union country? Which nations can form it? I've never heard of it but it sounds like a cool alternative to forming Italy.

Thanks guys. :) I'm going to have to try that sometime.

Okay, another question: the paradoxian wiki page on initial slider positions (about halfway down) has an entry on the nation 'Etruria', which I assume is a central Italy union country? Which nations can form it? I've never heard of it but it sounds like a cool alternative to forming Italy.

It is a possible revolter nation with lombard culture. Etruria was an italian puppet state of napoleonic france.

Why would it be in the game files if it served no purpose, Snake?

Because games are complicated, and developers will start working off previous or related versions and build something new. As long as the old stuff doesn't impact performance or cause weird instability, there is little reason to remove it. They might always decide to build on it for the next expansion.

I'm guessing that the core EU3 code at this time is messy and over-extended because the game has been taught to do many, many things it wasn't intended to do over the years. We'll see EU4 at the point where the developers decide that they want to do something that can't be done with the current game in an elegant or efficient way.

Event: "An accepted culture is lost" - Explanation needed

Playing as Teutonic Order I was glad to see that Russian culture was accepted quite early. I thought expanding in this direction would be a good idea. However, several years later I gained 2 further russian-culture provinces and suddenly I lost the "accepted culture" status for this culture.

What happened?

Playing as Teutonic Order I was glad to see that Russian culture was accepted quite early. I thought expanding in this direction would be a good idea. However, several years later I gained 2 further russian-culture provinces and suddenly I lost the "accepted culture" status for this culture.

What happened?

If provinces of an unaccepted culture produce >12% of your income, you get that culture accepted. However, once the accepted culture's income drop below 5% they return to being unaccepted.

Edit: It also only applies to core provinces and I think it's only base tax related.

Last edited:

What happened?

Emu'ed

Is there a way to get rid of infamy other than the Diplomat advisor?
I have over 20 infamy and my Diplomat is only a level 1 advisor, so he's only getting rid of a little bit every year.

Is there a way to get rid of infamy other than the Diplomat advisor?
I have over 20 infamy and my Diplomat is only a level 1 advisor, so he's only getting rid of a little bit every year.

You can always release vassals; if you have a republic, go for a diplomatic candidate next election. Anti-Piracy Act, if you're late enough in the game, cuts your max infamy limit but gives you more burn a month. Hope that helps!