• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Playing Timurids, DW 5.1

Just noticed that my Regency Council has a Military-7 stat. If I can reach Government-4 before the Regency ends, do they count as "a Ruler with Mil-6 skill or higher", allowing me to form the Mughal Empire? I already meet the other conditions.

What, exactly, are the merits of "Enact Settlement Policy?" I get that switching culture is good in the abstract sense (although I'm not quite sure how), but the negatives seem to outweigh the positives.

Bumping this so I don't get forgotten ;)

Bumping this so I don't get forgotten ;)

I dont like Settlement Policy. So many negatives. And I already had provinces where it took about 120years to culture switch even with that decision. National Ideas like Church Attendance Duty fasten culture spread too (by 20%). National Focus probably also, but I am not sure about that right now.

@blue emu:
Never tried it out myself but I think I read somewhere that it should be possible. RC is a ruler in the end.

Probably the major place to use Settlement Policy is on provinces that aren't connected to the rest of your country so that normal spread is not possible.

Probably the major place to use Settlement Policy is on provinces that aren't connected to the rest of your country so that normal spread is not possible.

And in addition to this, it should also be a large province where the different culture negatives are really hurting you.

I dont like Settlement Policy. So many negatives. And I already had provinces where it took about 120years to culture switch even with that decision. National Ideas like Church Attendance Duty fasten culture spread too (by 20%). National Focus probably also, but I am not sure about that right now.

@blue emu:
Never tried it out myself but I think I read somewhere that it should be possible. RC is a ruler in the end.

And only if you really care a lot about your culture.

And in addition to this, it should also be a large province where the different culture negatives are really hurting you.

Thanks for all of your help!

Re: Church Attendance Duty; normally I don't bother with the religion NIs, but if increases culture spread, that might be interesting. Does it have any other benefits?

This is a terrible paste from the wiki but: http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/National_ideas

Church Attendance Duty
-33% stability cost
+5% Papal Influence
With Divine Supremacy, enables Temple Built
5% faster Rise of Religious Intolerance
20% faster Cultural Assimilation
20% slower Submission of the Clergy
100% slower Spread of Protestantism I if not Protestant; 20% faster if Protestant
100% slower Spread of Protestantism II if not Protestant; 20% faster if Protestant
100% slower Spread of the Reformation I if not Reformed; 20% faster if Reformed
100% slower Spread of the Reformation II if not Reformed; 20% faster if Reformed
Enables Church Mobilises Population / Liberal Backlash
Required for Witchcraft Act religious decision
Required for Gilded Icons cultural decision
Disables Act of Uniformity religious decision
Disables Anti-Christian Edict religious decision for Eastern state religion nations

Thanks for all of your help!

Re: Church Attendance Duty; normally I don't bother with the religion NIs, but if increases culture spread, that might be interesting. Does it have any other benefits?

As you can see, Grakl put up all those benefits.

My favorites are:
slower spread of protestantism, it prevents religius turmoil even if you are playing a scandinavian or geman country (only few heretic provinces)
less stability costs ofc for some countries mandatory, for others not so good depends how rich and big you are
Gilded Iconography cultural decision , you will lose a bit national tax but you get +3 cultural tradition every year which is awesome on the long run

There are several player who just chose CAD to enact Gilded Iconography and then switch the National Idea again because even if you lose CAD you will maintain Gilded Iconography until the end.

Edit: If you are playing a non-western country and you want to westernize, CAD is also a must have (unless you are a small, rich trading nation maybe). At least until you are completely westernized.

Last edited:
I may have to consider it in my next game -- thanks for all of your help!

Guys I have a sth that I can't understand

see, I'm playing as the Netherlands in the year 1580. I have 110 provinces. 9 in Europe and 101 oversea colonies. I have the Whole eastern American coast, the whole Caribbean and the whole coastal south American area all the way from panama to urugay. also I have the area from south africa to cameron. and few colonies here and there. YET all these colonies make up only 20% of my income. the rest is Trade. and if its not for the 14 infamy i have, trade would make 85% easily !!

now tell me !? how is colonies a good thing ? especially for a nation like holland ? why the hustle ? am i missing sth ? and my Tariff rate is 100%. the only good i see is the two Cots in North America. they got around 1600 gold combined.

... the only good i see is the two Cots in North America. they got around 1600 gold combined.

Would you have easy access to all that money, without the colonies putting the COTs out of trade range of most of the European nations?

I have read on the EU3 wiki that it's good if (if you own most of the grain provinces) you have 1 infantry regiment in each grain province. That it would make me "rich".

I can't find anything about this on trade value though? Is this something that has been removed?

I have read on the EU3 wiki that it's good if (if you own most of the grain provinces) you have 1 infantry regiment in each grain province. That it would make me "rich".

I can't find anything about this on trade value though? Is this something that has been removed?

Code:
grain = {
	base_price = 10

supply = {
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.1
			looted = yes
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.1
			is_blockaded = yes
		}				
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.1
			NOT = { controlled_by = owner } 
		}	
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			NOT = { owner = { stability = -2 } }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			NOT = { owner = { stability = -1 } }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			NOT = { owner = { stability = -0 } }
		}
		modifier= {
			factor = 0.5
			owner = { serfdom_freesubjects = 1 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.2
			owner = { mercantilism_freetrade = 1 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0
			units_in_province = 1
		}

}
	demand = {
		modifier = 
		{
			factor = 1.1
			owner = { war = yes }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.05
			has_building = armory
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.05
			has_building = training_fields
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.05
			has_building = barracks
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.05
			has_building = regimental_camp
		}	
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.2
			has_building = conscription_center
		}	

modifier = {
			factor = 0.5
			trade_goods = fish
		}	
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.1
			owner = { stability = 2 }
		}	

}

}

Is it still the case that provinces stop adding to tech research cost after you have a certain number? or was this removed in IN?

The Wiki says that the amount is:

This is a penalty adjusted for the size of your country (in provinces). The piecewise layout above indicates its somewhat unexpected nature; basically, the first two provinces add 20%, and every province after that (except province #6, which counts for double for some reason) is 10% until you reach 8 provinces--at which point you have a 100% penalty (that is, your costs are double that of a one-province nation). Any subsequent provinces will add 2.5% to this modifier per province.

But i don't know how recent that information is.