• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Two questions, thank you ahead of time for any answers.

• What is the drawback to pushing a slider past the government type limitation?
  • I keep getting messages from some countries asking to be let into my CoT (I think that's the popup, they want to allow their merchants to compete or some such). What is the effect of allowing them to do this? Does the CoT gain value, or is will it just let them kick other merchants out (possibly mine), and so shouldn't be allowed?

• I keep getting messages from some countries asking to be let into my CoT (I think that's the popup, they want to allow their merchants to compete or some such). What is the effect of allowing them to do this? Does the CoT gain value, or is will it just let them kick other merchants out (possibly mine), and so shouldn't be allowed?
* +1 revolt risk everywhere
* Their provinces are much more likely to trade through your CoT, they can trade in your CoT with your trade efficiency/compete chance, and trade league members avoid competition. It ought to be mutually beneficial, but I haven't crunched the numbers. The CoT probably gains value and they are less likely to kick your merchants out, but more likely to get a few of their merchants in, basically.
Cheers thanks... Ill give that a go...
You're welcome!

+1 Policy Restriction RR on every province per point over the limit (so with a Feudal Monarchy -5 centralization would give +5 RR).

Countries in tech groups who can't see each other at game start won't be allowed to trade with one another unless they both agree to open their markets. It's possible to have a province trade through a market that's closed to its owner, but substantially rarer, so if they have stuff close by one of your CoTs it's probably worth doing. Otherwise it doesn't matter if you're western (since your trade efficiency will be so huge in comparison to theirs) and you shouldn't do it if you're way behind on tech.

Ah, Pewt's probably right, I thought you were playing a trade league nation and the requests were to join your league, but Open Markets seems more likely.

In that case, definitely accept if it is a nation with a rich CoT, like Ming or Bihar, it will allow you to send merchants there without having to war about it. Don't bother opening markets with random minors though.

Ah much thanks, clears things up, but leads to other questions.
1. So given I play England, it wouldn't be a good idea to get the Centralization slider to the limit then unite as Great Britain since it adds +2. If I'm planning to unite, should I stop moving toward Centralization when I'm 2 below the limit and focus on other sliders?
2. Even if my competition chance is higher then the nation I'm letting in, wouldn't an increase in the number of merchants (even low competition still has a chance) trying to knock me out be a risk? I'm guessing the answer is that the value of the benefit vs risk increases the higher my competition chance is.

Last edited:
It kinda depends on how much trouble you're having with the revolt risk. Centralization is so good that it is often considered worth the RR. And if you're an indian tribe trying to westernize, you'll simply have to!

Policy restriction revolt risk only goes away if you adopt a better, more advanced form of government that has more relaxed or no slider limits.

Ah much thanks, clears things up, but leads to other questions.
1. So given I play England, it wouldn't be a good idea to get the Centralization slider to the limit then unite as Great Britain since it adds +2. If I'm planning to unite, should I stop moving toward Centralization when I'm 2 below the limit and focus on other sliders?
2. Even if my competition chance is higher then the nation I'm letting in, wouldn't an increase in the number of merchants (even low competition still has a chance) trying to knock me out be a risk? I'm guessing the answer is that the value of the benefit vs risk increases the higher my competition chance is.
I guess if you have a monopoly even 1% is a risk, though not a substantial one. If you don't have a monopoly they compete with the easiest merchant to compete away so it isn't much of a risk.

As for centralization, as England I wouldn't worry about slider restrictions: you have a relatively small country so it's easy to defend from any rebels which do occur, and most importantly it's very hard to have high war exhaustion unless you have a heavy continental presence. Obviously don't something too ridiculous (like -5 centralization +5 plutocracy) but going to -3 centralization should be fine. Most people go a few points over slider restrictions unless they have a sprawling uncored empire, since unless your WE is extremely high then usually any revolt risk is due to a minimum revolt risk modifier (which isn't affected by policy restriction).

It kinda depends on how much trouble you're having with the revolt risk. Centralization is so good that it is often considered worth the RR. And if you're an indian tribe trying to westernize, you'll simply have to!

Policy restriction revolt risk only goes away if you adopt a better, more advanced form of government that has more relaxed or no slider limits.

And what forms of governments are those?

Just trying to gather up info before my attempt at american migration lol.

And what forms of governments are those?

Just trying to gather up info before my attempt at american migration lol.
Most things starting with Administrative Republic/Monarchy have very loose restrictions on centralization, and Absolute Monarchy has no restrictions at all. Some of the highest tech ones impose restrictions though (for example, Enlightened Despotism slightly restricts Serfdom, but since almost everyone likes Free Subjects that isn't a huge issue).

Another question. What is the benefit of moving your capital? In my current game as England, I own most of France and a bunch of colonies in the new world, but my capital is still in London. Do my provinces on in France lose out because they are not connected by land to my capital? Or does the capital just have to be on the same continent?

Another question. What is the benefit of moving your capital? In my current game as England, I own most of France and a bunch of colonies in the new world, but my capital is still in London. Do my provinces on in France lose out because they are not connected by land to my capital? Or does the capital just have to be on the same continent?
Some things off the top of my head:

• Naval forcelimits are related to ports connected by land to your capital, so if you take a lot of French land in Europe it might eventually be better to have your capital there.
  • Culture shifting requires your capital to be in a province of the culture you want to shift to.
  • Provinces without a direct land route to your capital and which are on a different continent than your capital count as colonies, so if you have more colonies than mainland provinces it's sometimes beneficial to move your capital overseas.
  • Having your capital occupied in war is extremely bad, so if it's on a border and you're a large blob you might want to move it farther away from high-risk borders.

Some things off the top of my head:

• Naval forcelimits are related to ports connected by land to your capital, so if you take a lot of French land in Europe it might eventually be better to have your capital there.
  • Culture shifting requires your capital to be in a province of the culture you want to shift to.
  • Provinces without a direct land route to your capital and which are on a different continent than your capital count as colonies, so if you have more colonies than mainland provinces it's sometimes beneficial to move your capital overseas.
  • Having your capital occupied in war is extremely bad, so if it's on a border and you're a large blob you might want to move it farther away from high-risk borders.
Thanks. I'm going through various wiki articles as I ask questions. Few more.
1. When moving capitals, are there any negative effects that happen to the old capital? Ie revolt risk or some such?
2. I'm reading about war taxes and see that for a 50% boost in taxes you get +1 WR and +0.1 WR per month. How can this be used as an advantage? What about waging wars with weak nations where you won't get much WR from battles, and keeping war taxes going till you hit your WR limit? Does occupying all of a nations provinces increase WR even if no battles are fought? Is being in a long state of war bad? Ie will your WR rise just because you are at war even if no attrition occurs or battles fought?

Thanks. I'm going through various wiki articles as I ask questions. Few more.
1. When moving capitals, are there any negative effects that happen to the old capital? Ie revolt risk or some such?
2. I'm reading about war taxes and see that for a 50% boost in taxes you get +1 WR and +0.1 WR per month. How can this be used as an advantage? What about waging wars with weak nations where you won't get much WR from battles, and keeping war taxes going till you hit your WR limit? Does occupying all of a nations provinces increase WR even if no battles are fought? Is being in a long state of war bad? Ie will your WR rise just because you are at war even if no attrition occurs or battles fought?
1. -4 stability and -1000 ducats is all.

2. Yeah, you can wage "wars" for the sole purpose of raising wartaxes, although a lot of people consider it cheating (especially when combined with the crusade bonus). A few situations where you might want to raise war taxes in a real war:

• You have a high ADM ruler and the war is being fought somewhere other than your territory (ie naval powers who aren't fighting too many battles, aren't being blockaded and don't have provinces occupied). Usually this is more in multiplayer where you have huge coalitions going on; a GB player might want to raise war taxes when participating in a war which involved (on no specific sides) France, Castille, and Austria, since the fighting is probably going to be happening near the pyrenees or in western Germany (or both) depending on how the alliances are configured.
  • You're doing badly in the war and high war exhaustion is already the case or is inevitably going to be the case for the majority of the war, so getting there a bit faster doesn't matter.
  • You are a country which doesn't care much about War Exhaustion, such as a decentralized, narrowminded Russian Empire which established the Russian Patriarchate.
  • You want high War Exhaustion for some of the events that it triggers, like Veteran's Home, the one where your heir demands your king steps down, and the one that gives you free tradition.

How high war score is necessary to get an AI country to accept a white peace in IN?

In alliance requests, Royal marriages etc...

What does the AI take into consideration when accepting these things... I get annoyed sometimes when I spend lots of time, money and diplomats sending countries gifts so that relations are 200 and then they still say "impossible" when I try to offer alliances...

What am I missing?

Here.

In alliance requests, Royal marriages etc...

What does the AI take into consideration when accepting these things... I get annoyed sometimes when I spend lots of time, money and diplomats sending countries gifts so that relations are 200 and then they still say "impossible" when I try to offer alliances...

What am I missing?
Reasons why nations won't ally with you:
* Relations too low
* Different religion before 1650
* You already have 3 non-vassal allies
* They already have 3 non-vassal allies
* There are ongoing wars they don't want to be dragged into, or drag you into
* You have high infamy
* They don't trust you (you broke previous alliances, claimed their throne or sent a lot of spies)
* You are a Rival to them
* You are a Threat to them
* They lost an earlier war to you or they have cores on your land (irredentism)

I think that's about it.

Or, to add on to what Junuxx says, your diplomatic skill might suck.

In that case, you need to expand your Sphere quickly!

How high war score is necessary to get an AI country to accept a white peace in IN?

Depends on the war you're in. Some countries won't accept white peace all the way up to 100%, others will accept it at -5%. It factors in war capacity and the like.

Generally, anything above ten percent will cause them to accept white peace. If you get above forty percent, you can give them stab hits by asking for it until they accept (asking for a white peace when you have a high war score will give the enemy a stab hit if they deny it)

Edit: Ah, sorry for the double post..