• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just wanted to say thanks again for the Map Cache clearing advice.
That fixed:
1) My random province colony range calculation. Now all colony areas will calculate from a static province, whichever core province is closest. Awesome!
2) Changed values of some distances. Azores is no longer 900 units away from Portugal (I had no idea this was wrong!) Its now around 200 and ready to be colonized.
3) Stopped showing me every fleet in the game when i hovered over a sea zone.

Thanks guys!

Is this normal?

weirdmorale.jpg

It seems to happen often when I beat a rebel army then beat them in the race to their destination province. I guess they have no morale at the start of the fight, so no soldiers show up. But then for some reason my troops show as having no morale when they do. The rebels don't even show up in the combat window, and retreat when they can. I could ping pong rebels for decades like this, it seems, unless I let them get somewhere first then be the attackers, then they fight.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the Map Cache clearing advice.
That fixed:
1) My random province colony range calculation. Now all colony areas will calculate from a static province, whichever core province is closest. Awesome!
2) Changed values of some distances. Azores is no longer 900 units away from Portugal (I had no idea this was wrong!) Its now around 200 and ready to be colonized.
3) Stopped showing me every fleet in the game when i hovered over a sea zone.

Thanks guys!

It's such a simple thing, but I'll be darned if there isn't a myriad of bugs it doesn't fix.

Is this normal?

It seems to happen often when I beat a rebel army then beat them in the race to their destination province. I guess they have no morale at the start of the fight, so no soldiers show up. But then for some reason my troops show as having no morale when they do. The rebels don't even show up in the combat window, and retreat when they can. I could ping pong rebels for decades like this, it seems, unless I let them get somewhere first then be the attackers, then they fight.

Normal? Yeah, pretty much. WAD? No, not really. Get the patches for HTTT and it'll fix that problem.

Edit: And btw, the problem is that armies without morale will never send a unit into battle. The fix changes it so armies that are out of morale are either wiped off the map, or have to send units into battle to be slaughtered (although not annihilated). However, this also reintroduces the "morale bug" in which the army will full morale will be wiped off the map by the army with no morale if the army with full morale got to the province first.

In order to do it, the defeated army would have to retreat, get to the new province before the end of the month, and you would have to beat them there and be the defending army. If you don't beat them there or if the end of the month passes (that's when morale regain happens), the bug won't happen.​

Well I have purchased through Steam and assumed it was all patched up to date? It says 4.1b in the main menu, are there further patches?

Whats exactly the limit(number of Vassals) where Create Vassal button got disabled?
I got 20+ force- and diplo-vassals, and wasnt able to create vassal from my land for at least 3/4 of my 100 year game..even when i had about hlaf of them IIRC...

Well I have purchased through Steam and assumed it was all patched up to date? It says 4.1b in the main menu, are there further patches?

Yes... that's the last patch for HTTT. It was fixed in the beta patches for 4.1, so I don't know why the final 4.1 wouldn't still have that fix...

Whats exactly the limit(number of Vassals) where Create Vassal button got disabled?
I got 20+ force- and diplo-vassals, and wasnt able to create vassal from my land for at least 3/4 of my 100 year game..even when i had about hlaf of them IIRC...

There isn't a limit. You can only release vassals when you are at peace and when you control the would-be vassal's capital province. Like if you controlled Zeeland and England controlled Holland, England could release the Netherlands but you couldn't.

I don't mean to hijack this into a playstyle opinion thread, but

1. Are artists of any use after reaching full stability?

(EU3: Complete) I find that a rank 4 or higher artist makes a wonderful ace in the hole. If you are getting shockingly frequent "random" events, there is often a choice of "lose a crapload of ducats invested in this technology" or "lose 1 stability". With a 3+ artist, I will take the Stab every time and recover that point inside 2 years. In my current game I've saved much more than 400 ducats worth of research that way. Then there are those great situations where a nation friendly to you wants you to join him in war against another nation friendly to you, and just to make things interesting you're all the same religion. So that is a choice between a -10 prestige hit (or more) or -1 Stab and [some other penalty that I've forgotten]. My prestige was 48. Yeah, I'll have that Stab hit with mustard and fries, and could you super-size that to go? I'm going to wash it down with a White Peace on my way to quelling the next revolt.

Edit: Just got the 'Army divided' event. Your choices are Offensive +1 and Stab -1 or Defensive +1 and Stab -1. Good times!

Last edited:
I have 29 military tradition, 14 naval tradition quest for the new world, 5 colonists and 200 ducats. Why is it impossible for me to recruit any generals, admirals, explorers or conquistadores? Are there some requirements on tech levels or other things that I have missed out on or do I need even more traditon to get an explorer?

Grateful for help.

I have 29 military tradition, 14 naval tradition quest for the new world, 5 colonists and 200 ducats. Why is it impossible for me to recruit any generals, admirals, explorers or conquistadores? Are there some requirements on tech levels or other things that I have missed out on or do I need even more traditon to get an explorer?

Grateful for help.

Strange. You need diplomats for generals/admirals, colonists (and QftNW which you have) for conquistadors/explorers. The ducats costs is proportional to your country size. Are you a large country? If yes, 200 ducats might not be enough.

Isn't there a tooltip that tells you what you're missing if you hover over the "recuit explorer/general/whatever" button?

The tooltip only says "you need 38 ducats to recruit a general" but the buttons are all blue and not yellow. I was able to convert ruler to general however (as this button was yellow). Before i had QftNW it also stated this requirement over the explorers/ conquistadores.

The tooltip only says "you need 38 ducats to recruit a general" but the buttons are all blue and not yellow. I was able to convert ruler to general however (as this button was yellow). Before i had QftNW it also stated this requirement over the explorers/ conquistadores.

strange, maybe upload savefile?

Also, me thinks you need to tune colors on your monitor, disabled buttons should be GREY not BLUE :D

Why is it impossible for me to recruit any generals, admirals, explorers or conquistadores?
Did you select the option "historical leaders" when you started playing? If so, you'll get the leaders your country received historically, but can't recruit any others.

Hint: never play with the option 'historical leaders' :) (Except maybe if you only want to play a short scenario, like taking Friedrich der Grosse and trying to conquer Europe inside seven years starting in 1754...)

Did you select the option "historical leaders" when you started playing? If so, you'll get the leaders your country received historically, but can't recruit any others.

This is the only thing I can think of that could invalidate normal generation of generals.

Scenario: I have two allies. They go to war with each other. I get an automatic CtA of the HTTT flavor from them both.

Can I answer yes to both CtAs and be at war with both parties?

No, I think only the first choice sticks, but I do think you avoid the prestige hit if you accept the second one anyway.

Playing as the Teutonic Order. Why does the culture in Samogitta (or whatever) change from Lithaunian to Prussian when the missionary succeeds?

indeed, silly me to forget about it :)
you can check it in your savefile under:

Code:
	setgameplayoptions=
	{
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 0 	}
}
should be the second number, with 1 for historic, 0 for random

Yes this is most likely the problem. I did not know that when i started the game. Can i change this value in the savefile now or do I have to start a new save game? I am playing as Norway and our military history consists of getting royally screwed by our neighbours untill 1814 so "reliving" that does not seem tempting...

Last edited: