• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Delete everything inside the cache folder. I myself have deleted the folder itself without any negative repercussions, but I have been told that doing such a thing is not wise. Either way, deleting the contents of the map cache will not mess up anything in your game or game files. A new map cache will be produced the next time you run the game.
Excellent, many thanks!

Recruiting land units from other tech groups: is there a way to stop from losing this ability as you tech up? Example: hitting land 12 with Eastern tech replaces the very nice Azab infantry in Asia minor with a not-so-great cannon. :sad:

If you started a game logged in with your account on one computer and you copy said savegame to another computer and log in there too, will it still be possible to unlock achievements or will it be seen as "belonging to another player"?

If you started a game logged in with your account on one computer and you copy said savegame to another computer and log in there too, will it still be possible to unlock achievements or will it be seen as "belonging to another player"?
I wouldn't risk it.

When i reform my government from Khanate to Despotic Monarchy, is there any possibility to build ships?

Given your slightly ominous answer I can only assume that things might end up badly if I try, which made me realize it might be seen as an attempt at cheating. Am I correct in that assumption?

I'm not actually sure if it will allow you to continue it with achievements enabled or not since the save file is not edited but it may detect something else to believe that it's not "your" save file but either way, the Paradox Police(tm) aren't about to bust down your doors, ban your account and put you to the chopping board.

When i reform my government from Khanate to Despotic Monarchy, is there any possibility to build ships?

You must westernise at least once to be able to start building ships. New World, Sub saharan and Steppe Nomad tech countries cannot build ships.

If you form the Mughals, they changes your tech to muslim (for better or for worse), allowing you to build ships

Oooh. Thanks! :)

You cannot intercept a retreating navy until it reaches port, and sallies forth again. Actually, this applies to armies, except that they retreat to a land province, whichis normally the adjacent one. But try, with one of your armies, to retreat before the battle is over, and click a distant destination. Your army will continue its retreat until it gets there, and it too cannot be intercepted.

The latter (army) part of the above fit with my experience, and that of others. However, after making it, I saw it did not work that way in my current game. I did exactly what I described; commanded a retreat by clicking a distant province. My army, nevertheless, WAS intercepted in the adjacent province, during the retreat. Now, I'm sure I have seen what I described earlier, and others have said so, but it certainly didn't happen this time.

There was one odd thing. The retreat went through an enemy province which was TI, and it was there that it was intercepted. I don't know if that explains it, or if 5.2b is different, or if we've all been misreading what we have seen.

So the above statement can be taken as true only at sea, not on land. I do not know how retreats work on land.

I'm playing as Novgorod, and I want to Westernize. I need to move a slider in Centralize direction, but I'm already in the limit of my form of government. What should I do? Change from Merchant Republic to Feudal Monarchy?!
Thanks

The latter (army) part of the above fit with my experience, and that of others. However, after making it, I saw it did not work that way in my current game. I did exactly what I described; commanded a retreat by clicking a distant province. My army, nevertheless, WAS intercepted in the adjacent province, during the retreat. Now, I'm sure I have seen what I described earlier, and others have said so, but it certainly didn't happen this time.

I think this was fixed in 5.1. I definitely remember the multi-province retreat issue being addressed in one of the beta patch processes.

I'm playing as Novgorod, and I want to Westernize. I need to move a slider in Centralize direction, but I'm already in the limit of my form of government. What should I do? Change from Merchant Republic to Feudal Monarchy?!
Thanks

For each step beyond your government's limit you get a nationwide +1 revolt risk. Handling it is usually not a big deal, you'll get far bigger headaches in the short run from changing your government type. Also, feudal monarchy has the same limit on centralization. Most nations will have to deal with some revolt risk from being too centralized when westernising as most governments that don't have penalties require government tech in the teens.

For each step beyond your government's limit you get a nationwide +1 revolt risk. Handling it is usually not a big deal, you'll get far bigger headaches in the short run from changing your government type. Also, feudal monarchy has the same limit on centralization. Most nations will have to deal with some revolt risk from being too centralized when westernising as most governments that don't have penalties require government tech in the teens.
If feudal monarchy has to same problem, I'll just pass the limit. I also can get an Advisor to compensate the added revolt risk. Thanks!

If feudal monarchy has to same problem, I'll just pass the limit. I also can get an Advisor to compensate the added revolt risk. Thanks!

If all of your provinces are Russian and Orthodox you are unlikely to even notice a difference, even in the uncored ones. the only problems will be in unconverted provinces and those are pretty likely to be revolting anyway. I generally don't bother with an advisor for reducing revolt risk, just park armies in the areas that are the worst offenders and farm up a little military tradition.

The governments that have a cent limit of -3 or lower are Theocracy, Administrative Monarchy, Administrative Republic, Empire, and all the more advanced ones (also the Papacy and Celestial Empires but those are nation specific). You might be able to quickly switch to empire if you have grown enough but you lose your trade league (as you will by changing to any other government type than merchant republic).

I think this was fixed in 5.1. I definitely remember the multi-province retreat issue being addressed in one of the beta patch processes.

Probably true. I often overlook updates which don't affect navies. If so, it makes sense, as the AI never broke battle (I think), so it was an advantage to humans. Just what the game needs--penalizing the AI. IIRC, there was an EUII mod which made it impossible for players to break off combat.

That said, it would have been better to have kept the old method, provided that the AI defaulted to (a) breaking battles before they were over, when it was clearly losing, and (b) default to long retreats. But no big deal.

Can you naturally get a new heir if your current heir dies during a Regency?

How exactly does the 'avoiding competition' mechanic work for trade leagues? I just watched Holland compete away one of my merchants despite being a fellow member of the Hanseatic League - and despite there being several non-League merchants trading. I figured the protection wasn't absolute (since after all, what would happen in, say, Lübeck if all the merchants were Hanseatic League members?), but that just seems to show, barring other mitigating factors, that it's not very helpful at all!