• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My Aachen is a small 5 province country near Burgundy and the BBB. In the last two years England has sent two alliance offers. I'm currently allied with mega-Austria.

Troop counts:
England - 47k
France - 57k
Burgundy - 70k
Austria - 103k

Should I ally with England? I feel that would probably be more beneficial, long term, than my alliance with Austria as we'll have less conflicts of interest over land. However, I am extremely wary of getting into a war with France because I think France could wipe out my army before England's armies even arrived on the mainlands.

I've been playing a game as the Hansa in HTTT, with the ultimate objective of forming Prussia, making sure to satisfy the requirements spelled out here. I collected all the appropriate cores, culture-switched to Prussian ~1510, and waited for the Reformation to pop; that finally rolled around in 1516. The problem is, despite my having satisfied all the criteria, the decision isn't appearing in my decisions list! Is there anything else that must be done to make it show up? I own/have cored Danzig, Warmia, and Ostpreussen, both the Protestant and Reformed religions have appeared (though I am still Catholic), Prussia doesn't exist elsewhere, and I've been at peace for the last ten or fifteen years.

Everything sounds ok, I'm not aware of the requirements being different in HTTT than in DW...
Actually, looking at this Eu3 wiki article from december 2010 (just after HTTT was released) http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/index.php?title=Form_Kingdom_of_Prussia&oldid=14232

Seems like you can't be prussian.

Everything sounds ok, I'm not aware of the requirements being different in HTTT than in DW...
Actually, looking at this Eu3 wiki article from december 2010 (just after HTTT was released) http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/index.php?title=Form_Kingdom_of_Prussia&oldid=14232

Seems like you can't be prussian.

That conclusion is correct for HTTT, I've noticed it myself when playing Danzig. But Prussian culture is also allowed since one of the 5.1 beta patches.

I'll add it for clarity.

Last edited:
When an HRE member diplo-annexes another HRE member, they do not gain cores on that land, correct? Only if they inherit it by marriage/PU?
Indeed. Diplo-annexation, like integration of countries in personal unions, don't give any core. You can only inherit cores - and only of your own culture (I assume it means the whole culture group, though I'm not sure you can get cores for other cultures you're already accepting).

Indeed. Diplo-annexation, like integration of countries in personal unions, don't give any core. You can only inherit cores - and only of your own culture (I assume it means the whole culture group, though I'm not sure you can get cores for other cultures you're already accepting).

not really:

A, if you are both members of the HRE: you get cores for all provinces you inherit inside the HRE regardless the cultures of you and the subject nation
B, if you are NOT member of the HRE: you get cores only for the provinces of your culture group (just as it is in any other inheritance)

Playing Brandenburg, I left the HRE but I cant remove 2 uncored provinces from the HRE even tho the relation with the emperor is negative. Is it because brandenburg is an elector? How can I lose the elector status again or remove these provinces from the empire? I'm not at war. edit: I found the answer its some event from having bad relation with HRE and neighbour elector.

Last edited:
How does the Open / Close Market work in multiplayer? And maybe in general in singleplayer :)

When exactly can you avoid getting the stab hit for ignoring a truce? Has to be something with defense war i guess. But still I'd like to have it pointed out more clearly.

I have a few questions regarding my gave as Savoy. I have just formed Italy, but rather dissapointingly, I found out that I did not get cores on the provinces of southern Italy. Is there any way I can get that? Its a bit stupid to have to wait 50 years for these provinces to become cores as well imo when they are after all italian provinces?

Also, my game is in multiplayer, and another player just got elected emperor, and is trying to remove the electors who is not backing him. Two of them backs me, and I would therefore like to keep them as electors, is there anything I can do to ensure this? Both are my vasals btw.

playing burgundy i have made a PU with france 30 years after game start[i think they went bankrupt cuz all their provinces had like 5% morale and so did the troops. so its not very impressive] and now england decided to attack for her cores, and for some reason after i honored the call france was still the warleader, but in the other war against aragon[PUed them too] i am the leader so i wiped out all the armies england sent[which were all their armies] took out their original provinces near france and brittanty thich they conquered and now england keep making troops and sending them and i keep wiping them out, i cant reach to their mainlands cuz, well, their england and france wont accept peace, england keeps asking me to get out of the war but i wont cuz then france would get slaughtered, how the hell do i get france to peace allready?![again, theyre PUed]

To get a country to open their market, either ask them nicely - you need at least 50 relations - or defeat them in a war (getting better than white peace).

The stability hit for truce-breaking is avoided if you're not the one declaring war, but rather the one being attacked. This also applies if you come to the aid of an ally who's attacked.

The Kingdom of Italy in the game is the mediaeval Kingdom of Italy, the old land of the Lombards that was conquered by Charlemagne and later re-established by Napoleon. The provinces south of Rome are not "Italian"; they're de jure part of the Byzantine Empire, not the Kingdom of Italy.

I don't know why France would be the warleader if they're junior partners in a PU (I assume they are the juniors?) unless the war was already going on before the PU was set up. As for getting them to surrender: either wait for war exhaustion and their manpower to run out, or man up and build a fleet and invade England. Luring their ships away with a decoy fleet before crossing the Channel can help here.

You're right, Steven. I saw that button. But i never saw an option to "close market". Is "closed market" and embargo exactly the same?

Once a market is open, it can never be closed again. You can embargo it, which actually partially harms you too (reduce trade efficiency, trade tech, etc.) but you can never close it.

That means, when the message pops up that a market is closed for me, its from an embargo, right? Or is the AI capable of closing a market (other than a human player)?

When the game begins, certain markets are closed due to distance, differences, what have you. I'm not sure which popup you're referring to (a screen shot might be helpful)? You can kick them open -- and they stay open once they are -- but they'll show as closed until you do.

In a MP point of view , is it interesting to go naval to get enact thalasocracy?
it's a cool decision , with some bonuses , but it will hurt my armies for quite a time as they will be more expensive.

unfortunately I did not take a screenshot. I am pretty sure it said "$NATION has closed their market for us."

It will say that right after you discover a country. Perhaps that's what's going on?