• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ye Gods :(

Ok anyhow, I wasn't counting on a lonely city surrounded by aggressive enemies and inhabited by infidels to becoming a money-maker for the empire in any case. Still have to convert and Hellenify it.

Is that distance fixed or does it change with tech/government?

I'm getting this malus with Alexandria from a Constantinople capital. And yes I know I could just conquer my way down to it and make a land connection, but indulge me on this one ;)

There is no 'distance'. The only relevant factors are land connection to capital and same continent. If both are false then it counts as tarrif income. You can check what continent provinces are in by useing the regions map mode. Thus provinces in south america produce tarrif income if your capital is in europe. But if you conquer and colonise all the way down to Cape town it won't produce tarrif income.

You want Jerusalem for the missionaries/pentarchy/rp value. You want all the provinces above it because they are wealthy. You probably want Sina anyway so you can get cores on the Red sea and start colonising Africa. Diamenta, the only province left is ok. There is no reason not to conquer down to Alexandria! :) In my byzantine games I conquer down to Alexandria and to Mecca. And then expand into Iraq and Persia.

You want Jerusalem for the missionaries/pentarchy/rp value. You want all the provinces above it because they are wealthy. You probably want Sina anyway so you can get cores on the Red sea and start colonising Africa. Diamenta, the only province left is ok. There is no reason not to conquer down to Alexandria! :) In my byzantine games I conquer down to Alexandria and to Mecca. And then expand into Iraq and Persia.

Time, overexpantion, and muslim friends in the way. But yeah Konstantinos XI plans to use Alexandria as the first step towards the reconquest of Egypt, and a knife stuck in the Mameluk's heart, hastening their colapse and leaving smaller kingdoms to be gradually eaten up.

Trying to "Found the Oost-Inidische Companie" as Netherlands and I have just conquered Makassar from Majapahit for this purpose. However, on the decision page it won't let me form it as apparently I still don't own an "East Asian Trade Port". Is this a bug or does Makassar not count for some reason (too far East perhaps...)?

Trying to "Found the Oost-Inidische Companie" as Netherlands and I have just conquered Makassar from Majapahit for this purpose. However, on the decision page it won't let me form it as apparently I still don't own an "East Asian Trade Port". Is this a bug or does Makassar not count for some reason (too far East perhaps...)?

take a look at the regions map to see which provinces qualify as "East Asian".

take a look at the regions map to see which provinces qualify as "East Asian".

Of the top of my head its every coastal province from Indus to mid China, including Ceylon, excluding the Maldives and Indonesia.

Why does my trade income and production have so low percentages?

tempja.jpg

Thanks

Why does my trade income and production have so low percentages?

tempja.jpg

Thanks

They generally start that low. They will increase as your technology gets better. You can also increase them with national ideas.

Also, if youre having Trade Agreements, they reduce your trade efficiency.

Thanks swippy!

Is there a way to know if a battle in a certain terrain (city, region, wtv that is...) will have a natural disadvantage to the attacker? I mean, before the battle starts xD

They all have a natural disadvantage for the attacker.

But otherwise, go to the terrian mapmode and hover over the province for a second. The percentages that come up will tell you the chances that you'll fight on that kind of terrain. You can probably guess which terrains are better for your attacking army composition than others.

Hi,

Question : In HTTT, 4.1b, does Unam Sanctum give you a CB against heathen countires? The in game description says it's good versus heretics. The Nat Idea review on the Wiki says it also gives Holy War vs heathens though. My game date is 1635, so I have only 15 years of Holy War left - unless Unam Sanctum does extend it to 1820 (in which case, it's definitely my next Nat Idea!).

Hi,

Question : In HTTT, 4.1b, does Unam Sanctum give you a CB against heathen countires? The in game description says it's good versus heretics. The Nat Idea review on the Wiki says it also gives Holy War vs heathens though. My game date is 1635, so I have only 15 years of Holy War left - unless Unam Sanctum does extend it to 1820 (in which case, it's definitely my next Nat Idea!).

Unam Sanctum should tell you in-game what type of nations it gives you the CB on.

But I can tell you that its effects end in 1650 along with all the other stuff that ends then.

Load up as portugal in 1500. Look at the income of Tangiers. It has no land connection and is on a different continent yet does not get tariffs. Then look at Ceuta next door - it does get tariffs.

Wierd, it is stil the same in 1640, just before portugal loses the provinces, when they are many tech lvls ahead. I don't know what is causing this. I have never noticed it myself in other situations.

Are you suggesting that there is a very short hardcoded distance which will never count as tarrifs? i guess one could sell some provinces as the Ottos to check that theory.

Edit: Ottos don't work as all of Turkey counts as Europe. However starting as Marmelukes and suiciding Cyprus i was able to annex it. Cyprus counts as tax income. I guess there is a very short fixed distance after all :) Does anyone have a Marmeluke game where they have taken some of Turkey/greek islands without a land connection to test this better?

Last edited:
Is it a good idea to have alliances? I mean, I'm tired of countries that propose alliances, and never come to help when it's time. And worst, it's the second time that a ally just cancels the alliance (or it's canceled because he didn´t help me) and attacks me, in a very short time...

Yes.

Best case they act like France has in my current Navarra game, loyal to lap dog extremes, even got me unexcommunicated(twice) after I foolishly let my papal relations go below 100 while beating Castille w/ a large stick. Generally fight in my wars(and well) and never had them decline an invitation to help. Hell they haven't even colonized any where near what I claim as 'mine' before I set down colonists(I swear they're psychic).

It seems you're getting the worst case, unloyal(even to the extreme of turning around and attacking you) and unhelpful.

All I can say is choose your friends wisely. It can be a bit of a balancing act.

Last edited:
Wierd, it is stil the same in 1640, just before portugal loses the provinces, when they are many tech lvls ahead. I don't know what is causing this. I have never noticed it myself in other situations.

Are you suggesting that there is a very short hardcoded distance which will never count as tarrifs? i guess one could sell some provinces as the Ottos to check that theory.

Edit: Ottos don't work as all of Turkey counts as Europe. However starting as Marmelukes and suiciding Cyprus i was able to annex it. Cyprus counts as tax income. I guess there is a very short fixed distance after all :) Does anyone have a Marmeluke game where they have taken some of Turkey/greek islands without a land connection to test this better?

Supposedly provinces will not count as distant overseas if they are within 250 naval range of your capital. However, this doesn't always work as planned, as the game seems to have problems checking the distance, or some areas that logically shouldn't count as distant overseas are just outside the range. For example, even southern European countries usually only get 1 or 2 provinces in North Africa within range, and in a recent colonial transplant game as Portugal, I had to reload because when I moved my capital to Maracaibo, fewer than half the Caribbean islands counted as in range. Oddly enough, I was able to solve this problem by moving my capital to a Mexican province on the Pacific coast. As the Caribbean technically counts as North America, this removed the distant overseas modifier, even though the naval range from my capital to the Caribbean islands had jumped from several hundred to well over a thousand.

While we're on the subject of the distant overseas modifier, I have my own question. Will tax income from a vassal get the -90% modifier if the vassal counts as distant overseas?

While we're on the subject of the distant overseas modifier, I have my own question. Will tax income from a vassal get the -90% modifier if the vassal counts as distant overseas?

No.

Yeah, got my first personal union. Can it become just one country in the future?

(A link to an explanation will do :p)

Thanks

Yes you can, theres two ways for this to happen.

1.Inherit. All this requires is you to have 100+ relations w/ the target, your king die, and luck. Every time you change monarch theres a chance you will inherit the other country. This can be rather random and frustrating at times but it does have the added benefit of giving you cores on all the same cultured provinces you inherit. As you get the cores at the same time(or first) you also get all the lvl1-4 buildings they built in those provinces(so I've heard). F.ex. I inherit Sweden as Denmark, I get cores on all the Swedish provinces but not the Finnish ones.

2.Integrate. This is kinda like diplo-annexing. Though instead of 10 years they have to be in union for 50 years w/ you before you can try. Req. 200 relations(or 190+ I forget) and alliance iirc. This will not give you cores, but non-culture group provinces won't give you cores either so if you're inheriting Lithuania as Poland it might be better to just try to integrate rather then wait for inheritance. Works similarly to diplo-annexing in that the target can decline to be annexed and you'll get 1BB per province(not positive on the last one).

Thanks again LordLeto,

I'm having a little bit more luck with my allies now :p

So, I'm Portugal and I'm in Personal Union with Pommaria (in the other corner of Europe :p )
I'll never get cores, because it's a different cultural group.
So the best thing to do is just keep good relations and see if I inherit it, and if I don't, 50 years from now I can try integrate. Is that it? Gosh, 50 years is a lot...
I still don't have a heir, I hope not to be inherited by someone else first xD