• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
let me revise my question.

so I know the tooptip only appears when there is an empty slot on the COT.

so it means the number displayed is placement chance, and not compete chance?

AFAIK, or so does Wiki says, that BOTH chances play a roll in success. So, which one is it that is normally displayed on full COT? is it compete chance, placementchanace, or average?

Moreover, Competing merchant is chosen randomly, so you can't tell your compete chance because it depends on who you compete with.

So confusing... clearification please?

highsis: If you mouse-over the icons (coat of arms/flags) of the other nations in the CoT, it shows your chance of beating each one out. I'm not sure what else you're asking for, but this is the best thing for the job. It shows exactly why your merchants succeed or fail in a CoT. The only annoying thing is that it's based on each different nation (you have better chance versus competitors with less efficiency, different national ideas, mercantilism/free trade, etc.), but you can see there the modifiers necessary.

Quick question: Playing DW and beta 5.1, my legitimacy has suddenly dropped alot two times without me knowing the reason. This didnt happen in HTTT, is it because I conceded defeat in a war? My king has'nt died or anything. thanks for help

If you conceded defeat in a war, was it because the war was getting out of control? Legitimacy is tied to war exhaustion. Having a high war exhaustion even for a few months can lower your legitimacy by quite a few points, and long drawn out wars can reduce your leader to the status of pretender, it seems.

Province decision Embassy. The decision specifically describes relations with one other country (in my case). I've taken new territory with many displeased neighbors, but out of all four provinces, bordering as many as four nations, I only get the Embassy option for relations between myself and my bestest ally. Our relations are at 200 anyway.

Does a provincial embassy (yeah I know its not like a building) affect all bordering nations?
What is the trigger for having Embassy with another nation?

I'm not sure, KarlMonster. It seems to sort of just pick a nation that borders the embassy province, and not always the one you like.
Divine Wind changes it again, so I don't have the option to test it out for you. It's always looked random to me, just whoever borders the province, it picks someone.

Hello everybody, I play HTTT (4.1b). I have reached Governement 57 and I am a Bureaucratic Despotism; I wanted to become a Revolutionary Republic but I don't see that option. Is it a decision (like passing leaving the Tribal forms of governments)? Or maybe an event with a crazy MTTH?
Which conditions do I need to satisfy to kick-start the revolution?
Thanks.

Quick question: Playing DW and beta 5.1, my legitimacy has suddenly dropped alot two times without me knowing the reason. This didnt happen in HTTT, is it because I conceded defeat in a war? My king has'nt died or anything. thanks for help

I'm by no means sure on this, but could legitimacy be lowered when conceding defeat to a war alliance that involves nations with which you have a royal marriage?

Or is it to do with white peacing or conceding defeat in a war in which you are the aggressor? This seems most likely.

1. What is a benefit of opening our market to foreinors? Rufusing doesn't seem to deteriorate the relation, then why not keep competetion loose by closing the market?

2. How does close-open market work? So does every country from differnt continent has to ask the owner of COT to open market? So if I own COT in Asia, do all Europian countries gain access if I open market to one of their countires? and Is this request mutual, or do both have to ask one another?

3. Is there any way to close the market after opening, without embargoing?

Thank you!

1. I saw Ryuku getting out of Ming's SOI. (not taken by other countries. Ryuku was free.) How is that possible? Any other factors than know military/economic strength?

2. When can you take other country's SOI? There seems to be a certain legnth in which your SOI is sold, and than it becomes available to other superpowers?

Are any religious decisions worth it? The only one that seems like it might be worth it to me is the church taxes one, but I'm still not sure about that. It increases revolt risk so idk. I want to get this church thing figured out soon at least because soon I will be converting my Byzantium Empire to catholicism. Oh, also, will I still keep church taxes (If I get it) when I convert to catholicism? The requirements are either I be orthodox, or have some event thing or whatever it is. When I convert to catholicism, I will have neither.

Today's last questions! :) Do siege/shock/fire bonuses go beyond the normal limit of 2/6/6? I got +2 siege idea and generals had 3 siege stat which I never saw before. So, do all bonuses go beyond normal limit? what about lucky nations?

Are any religious decisions worth it? The only one that seems like it might be worth it to me is the church taxes one, but I'm still not sure about that. It increases revolt risk so idk. I want to get this church thing figured out soon at least because soon I will be converting my Byzantium Empire to catholicism. Oh, also, will I still keep church taxes (If I get it) when I convert to catholicism? The requirements are either I be orthodox, or have some event thing or whatever it is. When I convert to catholicism, I will have neither.

It depends on your style of play, if you're going to be tolerant & not worry about converting, then the ones that increase tolerance are good. Or, if you're playing more as a religious 'fanatic' style, the missionary conversion chance & yearly missionaries decisions are good.

Also, Guilded Iconography can be quite good.

EU3 Complete: If a country declares war on a vassal is the overlord under any obligation to support it? Any chance to lose prestige if it doesn't? The Wiki is moot on this.

No there is not I think, I mostly ally with vassals because they always add on war with you, but if not you dont need to help them. Only if you are HRE kaiser and the vassal is inside HRE and ofc would be because you are Kaiser and not because he is your vassal.

I won a province near Horde and I just liberate them as vassals. I didnt loose prestige each 5 years because of wars.

1. What is a benefit of opening our market to foreinors? Rufusing doesn't seem to deteriorate the relation, then why not keep competetion loose by closing the market?

You will open your markets to them, but more importantly, they open their markets to you. The eastern COTs are very rich and their compete chances are very low. Often, you don't have to worry about competition in your European COTs because the eastern compete chances are blown out of the water by the Europeans' compete chances.

2. How does close-open market work? So does every country from differnt continent has to ask the owner of COT to open market? So if I own COT in Asia, do all Europian countries gain access if I open market to one of their countires? and Is this request mutual, or do both have to ask one another?

It is mutual and goes for your entire nation no matter what continent the COT is on.

3. Is there any way to close the market after opening, without embargoing?

No.

1. I saw Ryuku getting out of Ming's SOI. (not taken by other countries. Ryuku was free.) How is that possible? Any other factors than know military/economic strength?

Ming probably went below 0 prestige and lost all the SoI it had built up.

2. When can you take other country's SOI? There seems to be a certain legnth in which your SOI is sold, and than it becomes available to other superpowers?

If you have 100 prestige, Spain can SoI Ryuku. If you have 10 prestige

Are any religious decisions worth it?

The one that sends missionaries to the Pope is nice. The ones that up your missionary gain are usually nice. The statutory repeals one is also nice.

Today's last questions! :) Do siege/shock/fire bonuses go beyond the normal limit of 2/6/6? I got +2 siege idea and generals had 3 siege stat which I never saw before. So, do all bonuses go beyond normal limit? what about lucky nations?

Generally no. I've only seen a 3 siege stat general a couple times.

EU3 Complete: If a country declares war on a vassal is the overlord under any obligation to support it? Any chance to lose prestige if it doesn't? The Wiki is moot on this.

Yes. You will lose both the vassalship and 25 prestige if you don't protect them, IIRC.

I won a province near Horde and I just liberate them as vassals. I didnt loose prestige each 5 years because of wars.

Horde wars are a special case in all alliances and vassalships.

Hello guys. I'm a new player, just bought the game on steam last week. I had my eyes on it since a couple of years ago, but couldn't find it in any store. So when I saw it on steam with 80% discount, I didn't hesitate. I have the complete game + HttT.
I have a question, probably a stupid one, but this game really does have a high learning curve. I tried looking for the answer but could not find it. And I don't want to search for an hour for every question I have, because I have alot of em. :)
So I started playing England in 1399, because it is one of the easiest countries to play with I heard. I got the mission to conquer Ireland. I first sieged the northernmost province, and my ally Portugal sent 4000 troops to help me out. After about a year of besieging it, they surrender. But I don't get the province, eventhough I defeated their army. Instead Portugal gets it. Really annoying actually. What to do now? Is this because they had more troops then I? I had 2000 to finish the siege. Or is it something else? Because when I declared war, Portugal joined me. But after a couple of months I got a message that they didn't anymore. So I got a casus belli against them. I can't recall the name.

Anyway if anyone has good tips for playing England in 1399, or another country in another time, you are welcome to share them with me. Some specific info for playing a certain country might be really helpfull to get to know the mechanics of the game. I've been reading a lot of info online. And I downloaded the HttT manual. But I haven't completely read that one because I wanted to start playing. :)

Anyway thanks for reading.

RJA