• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Poor Poland :'(

Unrelated, but I've noticed in the region map mode when looking for East Asian Trade Ports that there is another region called 'East Asian Cot', including 2 provinces in China, and Hizen in Japan. Do these count as criteria for enacting the East India Trade Company decision?

Do buildings like Tax Assessors increase your base tax or do they just add a modifier?
Is base tax dependent on population?
What does the hint "Spain is not the Emperor" come from? Is it their historical meddling in the HRE?

No, no, and probably.

Tax Assessors and other buildings do exactly what their description says and generally nothing more (some do trigger events/decsions). Base tax is a predetermined number at game start and can only be changed afterwards by a few events/decisions.

Poor Poland :'(

Unrelated, but I've noticed in the region map mode when looking for East Asian Trade Ports that there is another region called 'East Asian Cot', including 2 provinces in China, and Hizen in Japan. Do these count as criteria for enacting the East India Trade Company decision?

Any that are on the coast should have both modifiers listed, I believe. The east Asian CoT list is for a triggered modifier (and may also influence random/ai created CoT placement). To count for the EITC the province has to have the east asian trade port listed (they are a medium-dark blue in region mode).

Playing as Norway and I notice that I have one province that can train longbowmen while all others can only train men at arms. I also noticed that this province is a core of Sweden. Is that the reason for the ability?

Playing Death and Taxes mod, btw.

Last edited:
Playing as Norway and I notice that I have one province that can train longbowmen while all others can only train men at arms. I also noticed that this province is a core of Sweden. Is that the reason for the ability?

Playing Death and Taxes mod, btw.

yes. the type of troops you can recruit in a province depends on who has cores on it - this way you can train troops that are not in your tech.group too.

yes. the type of troops you can recruit in a province depends on who has cores on it - this way you can train troops that are not in your tech.group too.

Note though, that this only lasts until you get a core in the province and that any such troops raised will not be upgraded when you change your preferred unit types.

Do buildings like Tax Assessors increase your base tax or do they just add a modifier?
Is base tax dependent on population?
Tax Assessors and other buildings do exactly what their description says and generally nothing more (some do trigger events/decsions). Base tax is a predetermined number at game start and can only be changed afterwards by a few events/decisions.
To expand a bit on this, for some things a fixed modifier like "+1 tax" is as good as +1 to base tax and for other purposes only the actual base tax is considered.
And buildings can be lost in some cases (nomads or provinces changing owner without a core) while base tax again can only change as a result of certain random events.

Base tax is not dependent on population. However, the Units value is dependent on both population and base tax and that value is how population affects other things.

How does maintenance effect attrition?

Note though, that this only lasts until you get a core in the province and that any such troops raised will not be upgraded when you change your preferred unit types.

Just a nitpick here-it lasts until the other country loses their core on the province, which is not necessarily the same thing (or the same timeframe) as you gaining a core; you could release as a vassal and get a mission to diploannex or a border dispute, or for that matter continue going to war with said nation (which prevents them from losing the core but doesn't reset your coring timer unless you lose the province in a peace deal), not to mention the possibility of annexing a nation, which in my experience will cause said core to last more or less forever-although of course the units recruited there will become useless far before then.

Also, provided you're recruiting units in the same tech group, you can later switch your preferred units to the type you've recruited, before switching to the type you actually want to upgrade to, and they'll all upgrade.

How does maintenance effect attrition?
It doesn't affect it at all. What maintenance affects is how fast your armies reinforce; if you have full maintenance you might reinforce faster than the attrition you suffer but you are still consuming your manpower.

As far as I understand, cultural tradition determines the caliber of advisors I attract. Is this accurate and is it worth commissioning tapestries, etc, to improve it?

Yes. Note though that some advisor types consume naval or army tradition as well so the quality of leader attracted also depends on those numbers.

Generally speaking, the advisor types that use 20% culture will always be 5 star or better whenever your cultural tradition is > 91%, 71% for 4 star or better, and so on. There is a chance to hit above the line and get better than the minimum but it isn't great. The guidelines for the mixed type are a bit more complicated.

Is it possible to delay the end of the game of several decades, if not centuries?
I'm playing as Rev. France and I would love to have enough time to annex all of Europe

Go into eu3\common\defines.txt
Change the line "end_date = 1821.1.1" to whatever date you want the game to actually end.
Achievements will be disabled if you edit your game files. You have been warned.

Also, the game will crash if you go beyond the last tech level, so if you want to keep playing for more than a century forward, you will need to modify the following:
Go into eu3\common\technology\government.txt
Change the line "average_year = 1880" on the last tech to "average_year = 9999"
Do the same for land.txt, naval.txt, production.txt, and trade.txt

Go into eu3\common\defines.txt
Change the line "end_date = 1821.1.1" to whatever date you want the game to actually end.
Achievements will be disabled if you edit your game files. You have been warned.

Also, the game will crash if you go beyond the last tech level, so if you want to keep playing for more than a century forward, you will need to modify the following:
Go into eu3\common\technology\government.txt
Change the line "average_year = 1880" on the last tech to "average_year = 9999"
Do the same for land.txt, naval.txt, production.txt, and trade.txt

Thanks ;)

As for the achievements I don't really care

Also, the game will crash if you go beyond the last tech level, so if you want to keep playing for more than a century forward,
This is no longer true starting with the 5.1 patch. You probably still want to add tech levels though so that you won't be forced to mint if you have no more tech available to research.

I'm Muscovy right now, late 1410s. Orthodox rebels aligned to me were besieging Lithuanian-held Polotsk. I successfully Support Revolt in Polotsk, doubling the rebels' size from 7k to 14k, all aligned with me, all Orthodox rebels.

They started fighting each other and reduced themselves to 8k before a 12k Lithuanian doomstack showed up and crushed them. Why is this?

I'm Muscovy right now, late 1410s. Orthodox rebels aligned to me were besieging Lithuanian-held Polotsk. I successfully Support Revolt in Polotsk, doubling the rebels' size from 7k to 14k, all aligned with me, all Orthodox rebels.

They started fighting each other and reduced themselves to 8k before a 12k Lithuanian doomstack showed up and crushed them. Why is this?
Because in DW (or others?) Rebels are fightings against themselves, like:

Derp - Hey! Why not we both buy a laptop for gaming from our cash?
Herp - But I like more Ultrabook...
Derp - WHAT?! We shall fight for this.

Laptop = Province
Derp & Herp = Rebels

I didn't think much, only this example has entered my brain :).

And da... Lithuania killed them because I guess they're country religion was Catholic?

Last edited:
Well yes, I know rebels of different factions will fight one another. That's why I'm confused - they're both Orthodox Zealots *and* both loyal to me. Wasn't aware that rebels of the same faction and alignment would fight - in fact I know I've seen otherwise, in particular with my spawning 3 different sets of Greek Patriots as Byzantium at Rhodes.