• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here's one which puzzles me. Are there any hidden factors in naval combat, other than the galleys' variation by the type of sea zone? That is, I know that the latter are more effective in shelter seas, like the Med & Baltic. I understand, but am not sure, that they lose effectiveness in full-sea (non-coastal) seazones.

But is there some factor reducing the effect of transports? I've noted that, even changing the table values, and even giving them heavy gunpower, they still change to lose to bigs. I've tested giving them = table values & much better gun factors, to no avail. Note that I'm speaking here of cases where positioning and command are also in the transports' favor.

Here's one which puzzles me. Are there any hidden factors in naval combat, other than the galleys' variation by the type of sea zone? That is, I know that the latter are more effective in shelter seas, like the Med & Baltic. I understand, but am not sure, that they lose effectiveness in full-sea (non-coastal) seazones.

But is there some factor reducing the effect of transports? I've noted that, even changing the table values, and even giving them heavy gunpower, they still change to lose to bigs. I've tested giving them = table values & much better gun factors, to no avail. Note that I'm speaking here of cases where positioning and command are also in the transports' favor.

The only other modifier I am aware of is the one that comes from the tech level, see http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Tech_tree. It gives early bigships a slight advantage over transports concerning fire. Have you made sure that modifiers from the land/naval slider and NIs (Superior seamanship, Excellent shipwrights) are the same for both parties?

Transports don't have as many guns, or as good stats, as big ships. They aren't meant to fight them. You need to fight big ships with combat fleets, not transports.

@Balou & Ruanek:

I seem to have been unclear in my first post. I modified both the tech table values and the unit values in the game. I'm trying to test several things. One is the idea of very strong Transports, and weak Bigs, early in the game.

This is why I am so puzzled.

The battle involved 6 T's vs 1 B. Let me point out that:

-The tech table advantage was slightly in favor of the T's.
-They were very much stronger ships, with a 4:1 edge in gunnery factor.
-Despite this, they had better positioning values, by about 50%.
-They had a good (4-2-4) admiral vs none.
-The die rolls were not extreme.
-Their morale was better.

I stopped, saved, and retreated, and then refought the battle a few times. Every time, the B (a pirate) would start to run up damage on one T. Every time, despite them targeting the B, it never took ANY damage, over several rounds. That's what troubles me. There is no factor I can think of which should favor the big ship. Yet it consistently won. Finally, I sent more ships to get a 10:1, as I was convinced something was wrong.

@Balou & Ruanek:

I seem to have been unclear in my first post. I modified both the tech table values and the unit values in the game. I'm trying to test several things. One is the idea of very strong Transports, and weak Bigs, early in the game.

This is why I am so puzzled.

The battle involved 6 T's vs 1 B. Let me point out that:

-The tech table advantage was slightly in favor of the T's.
-They were very much stronger ships, with a 4:1 edge in gunnery factor.
-Despite this, they had better positioning values, by about 50%.
-They had a good (4-2-4) admiral vs none.
-The die rolls were not extreme.
-Their morale was better.

I stopped, saved, and retreated, and then refought the battle a few times. Every time, the B (a pirate) would start to run up damage on one T. Every time, despite them targeting the B, it never took ANY damage, over several rounds. That's what troubles me. There is no factor I can think of which should favor the big ship. Yet it consistently won. Finally, I sent more ships to get a 10:1, as I was convinced something was wrong.

It might be better to post that in the modding forum. It's a bit more complex than the stuff this thread is intended for.

How do you play as Navarra? I always get declared on by Aragon on day one, no matter what I try to do; royal marriages, alliances, and military accesses are all rejected.

One time, I tried to let Aragon vassalize me. I just focused on trade afterwards and I was diplo-annexed in exactly ten years. Or, I assume I was, at least, because the game just ended showing me my achievement screen (commission painting, commission painting, etc.)

So how do you survive? I wanted to create a colonial empire, and Navarra's sliders are pretty fantastic.

How do you play as Navarra? I always get declared on by Aragon on day one, no matter what I try to do; royal marriages, alliances, and military accesses are all rejected.

One time, I tried to let Aragon vassalize me. I just focused on trade afterwards and I was diplo-annexed in exactly ten years. Or, I assume I was, at least, because the game just ended showing me my achievement screen (commission painting, commission painting, etc.)

So how do you survive? I wanted to create a colonial empire, and Navarra's sliders are pretty fantastic.

The player should be able to refuse diplo-annexation. The game only ends when you are annexed through war.

Even though I am at peace, and have been for a while, and my troops are in home provinces, they don't seem to be rebuilding ... it says that 2k or so troops are reinforcing my units, but after checking them, it looks like they're just sitting there static, and that overall manpower is a bit over 1k. Should I just reload or am I missing something?

Even though I am at peace, and have been for a while, and my troops are in home provinces, they don't seem to be rebuilding ... it says that 2k or so troops are reinforcing my units, but after checking them, it looks like they're just sitting there static, and that overall manpower is a bit over 1k. Should I just reload or am I missing something?

Guessing you have zero maintenance.

I'm at full maintenance.
You're suffering as much attrition as you are reinforcing. There is no special immunity from attrition in home provinces or because of peace. Look at the supply limits of the provinces your armies are in.

When wanting to colonize, it is wise to "beeline" trade tech 7 and govt. tech 9 and put the slider down on the other research tabs? Is it worrisome that you're falling behind this early in the game in land, naval and prod. tech or will the colonization head start make up for it in the long run?

Best,
Lucas

When wanting to colonize, it is wise to "beeline" trade tech 7 and govt. tech 9 and put the slider down on the other research tabs? Is it worrisome that you're falling behind this early in the game in land, naval and prod. tech or will the colonization head start make up for it in the long run?

Best,
Lucas
Some countries (like Portugal and possibly England) are fairly safe. You should aim for Government Tech 4 and the Trade Tech 7. When you reach Trade Tech 7, switch ideas. You should now have a many year advance in colonisation in comparison to other nations.
And it does pay off, that and minting. When your first batch of colonies first turns into cities and then cores, revenues will boom (at least they did in my Portugal game).