• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[...]Read that PU seems to be the best low BB way to expand, could I get PU by marrying into Firenze and Ancona (and possibly Siena too) and then claim throne and inherit? Probably got to be very lucky to pull it off without huge penalties. [...] A bit weary about attacking Papal states too, will I be excommunicated if I take Roma by force? [...]

There is a very interesting thread about PU's here:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?561600-How-to-Inherit

As for attacking the Papal State, I wasn't excommunicated even when I declared war and annexed them. I think that only the Controller of the Curia can excommunicate others IIRC, there can be only one nation excommunicated at the same time and it's not possible to excommunicate another country in a certain period of time. If you annex the Papal States, another country will take its role as Papal State it will be one of the countries with religious governments. I also think that being the defender of the Faith avoids you from being excommunicated.

Veterans: Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! :laugh:

Holy War CB allows to declare war to nation with different religion. Don't remember details.

Tip: It's very useful for Japan - only they have Sinto :)
Except Holy War only works for Christians and Muslims. Other religions get a religious liberation CB but it requires that the target own a province of your religion. Both of these only work on targets outside your religion group so Shinto Japan can't use it against any other Eastern religion.

The emperor asks as a random event when you have non-core provinces. Either get a core or suck it up and deny it. The event only comes once per province. Unfortunately there isn't really another way, unless you want to leave the HRE and remove the provinces from the Empire.

The event will not fire while you are at war with a non-horde. You will still get the base unlawful territory penalties but won't get the event and subsequent stability loss to keep the province. This plus war taxes makes it pretty reasonable to run phantom wars with places like Benin/Kongo et al once you have discovered them.

As for attacking the Papal State, I wasn't excommunicated even when I declared war and annexed them. I think that only the Controller of the Curia can excommunicate others IIRC, there can be only one nation excommunicated at the same time and it's not possible to excommunicate another country in a certain period of time. If you annex the Papal States, another country will take its role as Papal State it will be one of the countries with religious governments. I also think that being the defender of the Faith avoids you from being excommunicated.

There can only be one crusade target at a time and the crusade lasts 20 years or until the target is eliminated. As far as I know there is no limit on excommunicating rulers beyond the "must have low relations with Papal States & not be DoF" requirements.

There can only be one crusade target at a time and the crusade lasts 20 years or until the target is eliminated. As far as I know there is no limit on excommunicating rulers beyond the "must have low relations with Papal States & not be DoF" requirements.

Ah ok, as I was receiving the message that we cannot excommunicate left and right and we had to wait for years, I thought there could be only up to one excommunicated country at a time. Thanks for the info!

But in the wiki, it says that

Excommunication can only be directed at a ruler whose relations with the Papal State are below 100 and is not the Defender of the Catholic Faith. For Personal Unions, only the senior partner's relations are taken into account although the excommunication penalty effects all junior partners as well. The final restrictions for excommunication is that the year 1650 has not been reached and that no other ruler has been excommunicated in the past 3 years.
http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Advanced_Curia_Strategy

If this is true, I will wait until someone get excommunicated before attacking papal states. But that page is for HTTT, don't know if it's different for DW.

Thanks for sharing your experience, that's reassuring to know. A lot of useful information in that thread about PU, so much so that I had to look up what many terms mean on eu3 wiki it's going to take me hours to digest it. Thanks for pointing it out, much appreciated. :)

I have never actually played a full out European country lol, so I can't say about that. It is possible to marry, claim throne, and force the country into a PU through war. You then have to drive up your relationship with said country (negative relationship means cancellation of PU on monarch death - you need a positive relationship to have a chance to inherit or at least maintain the PU) and lower your BB to have a good chance of inheriting. However note that claiming a throne is only possible when the target country has no heir or the heir has weak claim. However, part of EU3 is sitting around waiting for the opportune moment (like a CB, which you can get sometimes as an event), which is somewhat similar to what nations had to do at that point in history in real life. If you could just throw CBs around left and right, invade without infamy hikes, etc, the game wouldn't be as challenging or fun :-D

That makes sense. I guess I am not used to the time frame of eu3 yet, should speed up the time control but I am afraid I will miss some kind of opportunities too. Thanks for all your help. :)

I'm having an issue with war exhaustion... but not my WE. I'm playing Brandenburg and am at war with Austria, and have completely occupied their provinces. Their WE is stuck at 12.56, not increasing even though it should be climbing steadily. When I loaded the game as Austria, the WE increased as usual when a month passes, but not when I load the game as Brandenburg.

So I'm pretty sure it's a bug, I just don't know what it is. I would have peaced out, but I have 60+% war score and the bastards are not accepting more than 30% in negotiations. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Last edited:
Are you playing on harder then normal difficulty? The harder AI has insane WE reduction, and maybe even lowered WE limits (don't know about this), so maybe that 12.56 is their limit?

Regarding the peace, just either kill their army or occupy the rest of their territory, that should make them agree to anything. The AI is very reluctant to peace out if they feel like their army is still stronger then yours.

They have no armies left, and I've occupied almost all their provinces (and those of their vassals), the remainder of the provinces are either occupied or under siege by their other enemies.

I'm playing on normal difficulty, and I've tried loading as Austria and when I do their WE gain resumes as per normal. But only when I load as Austria itself, I've also tried loading as one of my allies in the war, one of Austria's vassals, and a non-participant and on all of them the WE remains static at 12.56. It's very strange, and frustrating, since beating them wasn't easy.

They have no armies left, and I've occupied almost all their provinces (and those of their vassals), the remainder of the provinces are either occupied or under siege by their other enemies.

I'm playing on normal difficulty, and I've tried loading as Austria and when I do their WE gain resumes as per normal. But only when I load as Austria itself, I've also tried loading as one of my allies in the war, one of Austria's vassals, and a non-participant and on all of them the WE remains static at 12.56. It's very strange, and frustrating, since beating them wasn't easy.

The game does not always follow the same rules for AI as it does for players. In this case, it seems like through some sort of AI bonus, their maximum WE is 12.56. Which would explain why it increases when you load as them, but not as anyone else. And i have never had a problem where the AI would not accept a peace offer after they are completely destroyed, so no idea what causes that in your game.

I would recommend either just waiting 2-3 years, or Stab-hitting them into taking a 20% peace proposal.

If you conquer a prov with the unlawful territory flag, does it stick? I.e., country X takes HRE territory -- they refuse a formal request, and the territory gets the unlawful flag/penalty.

If I then take said prov, does it keep the flag? If it does, presuming I'm not an HRE nation and can remove it from the HRE, would that also remove the flag?

I think it has to do with lucky nations (assuming you are playing with it turned on). They get a reduction in war exhaustion. Players aren't allowed to be a lucky nation so when you tag switch the war exhaustion changes to what it would be as a non-lucky nation. As to how you would now increase your warscore, I haven't a clue.

Lucky nations are off, though I am playing D&T, which would mean the AI gets at least a tax bonus. Not sure if there's a WE reduction bonus too. The AI bonus can't be that drastic though. When I loaded as Austria they were getting almost 1 WE per month.

This is really beginning to distort the game. Austria has been completely occupied for more than five years (I just got called in again by my original ally after my truce ran out). Their WE is still at 12.56. I think I'm just going to edit in an arbitrarily high amount of WE for them (their limit is 17, would putting a high number, say 20 crash the game or something?). That'll probably work, even if it's horribly inelegant and makes me feel like a cheat.

though I am playing D&T,
Then you really should be asking in the mod forum. Rules for mods may be completely different from the vanilla game.

If you conquer a prov with the unlawful territory flag, does it stick? I.e., country X takes HRE territory -- they refuse a formal request, and the territory gets the unlawful flag/penalty.

If I then take said prov, does it keep the flag? If it does, presuming I'm not an HRE nation and can remove it from the HRE, would that also remove the flag?

The flag normally lasts until the owner of the province has a core on it. It will be removed some time after that. You can also remove it from the HRE, which gets rid of the flag.

How do I run EU3 in windowed mode? Would be handy to check manual/wiki/guide on things I don't know while in-game.
Nothing happens with Alt-Enter and I couldn't find it in game options either.