• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My inflation is manageable (around 1,5% after the first 20 years), but I find it hard to recruit more troops with around a profit of 10 ducats each annually.

A lot of that will get fixed once your lands core. However, you could use the National Bank to mint, thus increasing your income. If you were anything other than a horde, I'd say, with income that low, take a few years off of war, but of course, you can't do that...

KHYkY.png

Playing as France and it's 1509. I've united most of France and starting to go for colonies now. My question is: Is Africa worth it? At first I just started a colony there as a jumpstart to the east. I got tempted when I saw gold provinces. I'm currently in a war with Hausa(looks like portugese color near my african colonies). They have 2 slave+1 ivory province near the coast and the rest are grain. Is it worth just annexing them? Will it ever be profitable? Does the huge spike in stability cost just now worth it? Thanks in advance for the advice. :)

edit: also I have a free national idea. I currently have QFNW and National Banks. I don't need money right now, so which one should I take?

Last edited:
African regions usually have many highly aggressive natives , so they are harder to colonise and you will have no competition from others this early. Few south african regions around Cape are the exeption with fewer natives.
I would go for the Americas becouse it is easier and there will be others who will do it if you dont.

If you`re focusing on colonisation its handy to take the one giving you 33% colonial growth (colonial ventures?), or shrewd commerce practice which will give you the edge in competing merchants.

I have a question of my own: are colonies/distant overseas provinces taken in consideration when calculating number of cities or core to non core ratio for the overextension modifier? On one place I read that they are, and on the other that they aren`t.

African regions usually have many highly aggressive natives , so they are harder to colonise and you will have no competition from others this early. Few south african regions around Cape are the exeption with fewer natives.
I would go for the Americas becouse it is easier and there will be others who will do it if you dont.

If you`re focusing on colonisation its handy to take the one giving you 33% colonial growth (colonial ventures?), or shrewd commerce practice which will give you the edge in competing merchants.

I have a question of my own: are colonies/distant overseas provinces taken in consideration when calculating number of cities or core to non core ratio for the overextension modifier? On one place I read that they are, and on the other that they aren`t.

I'm not too worried about natives as I have lots of troops and have killed off most of them anyways. My main concern was more on profitability and stability cost increase.

And in regards to your question, I'm faily sure that colonies do not count towards overextension.

Playing as France and it's 1509. I've united most of France and starting to go for colonies now. My question is: Is Africa worth it? At first I just started a colony there as a jumpstart to the east. I got tempted when I saw gold provinces. I'm currently in a war with Hausa(looks like portugese color near my african colonies). They have 2 slave+1 ivory province near the coast and the rest are grain. Is it worth just annexing them? Will it ever be profitable? Does the huge spike in stability cost just now worth it? Thanks in advance for the advice. :)

edit: also I have a free national idea. I currently have QFNW and National Banks. I don't need money right now, so which one should I take?

I think you should Aim for the Americas instead. Less resistance. Less aggressive and fewer natives (natives goes into your population once a colony becomes a city, if you didn't know that). Less grain - more exotic goods. Higher tax. Much fewer nations. And HIGHER profit!!
And yeah you should take the idea that increases your colony growth with 33%(?) if you're aiming to be a colonisor. Or you should take the military drill IF you're going to warmonger in Europe.

Colonizing the horde

It seems colonies on horde provinces grow up each month by a random number. I've seen 3 to 9 people added each month.

But it may be not random at all. I'd like to know what determine that number.
Thank you.

Last edited:
They aren't. Colonise away!
Actually, they are. Overseas or not, all of your provinces are taken into account in the matter of overextension. Sadly...

It seems colonies on horde provinces grow up each month by a random number. I've seen 3 to 9 people added each month.

But it may be not random at all. I'd like to know what determine that number.
Thank you.
I believe it follows exactly the same rules as any other colonial growth (even though there is no tooltip showing the modifiers).
Actually, they are. Overseas or not, all of your provinces are taken into account in the matter of overextension. Sadly...
Do you have a savegame showing this? I tested this for ANO1453's bug report (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?553935-Overextension-not-working ) and found overseas provinces did not seem to count.

aAIld.png
Playing as Russia right now in the year 1514. I'm having a blast and the world is turning out pretty great.

My question is: How do I get holy war cbs as Russia? I've tried Divine Supremacy and Unam Sanctum but neither give me cbs. Do orthodox even get cbs? If not how can I get more cbs? I feel very limited right now especially when the Golden Horde is just imploding.

Last edited:
aAIld.png
Playing as Russia right now in the year 1514. I'm having a blast and the world is turning out pretty great.

My question is: How do I get holy war cbs as Russia? I've tried Divine Supremacy and Unam Sanctum but neither give me cbs. Do orthodox even get cbs? If not how can I get more cbs? I feel very limited right now especially when the Golden Horde is just imploding.
Who are you trying to get CBs on? There are NO CBs of any kind against hordes.

TIL. How about the rest of Europe? No holy wars cb still?

Holy Wars only apply to infidels (Muslims, Hindi, etc.) not heretics (Catholics, Protestants, Reformed). For everyone else, if all you want is CBs, Bill of Rights gives you a liberation CB. If you want CBs to get land, go for Imperialism as soon as you can; that means going with Absolute Monarchy, Republican Dictatorship, Enlightened Despotism, Revolutionary Empire, or Revolutionary Republic.