+ Reply to Thread
Page 398 of 601 FirstFirst ... 298 323 348 373 388 396 397 398 399 400 408 423 448 473 498 ... LastLast
Results 7,941 to 7,960 of 12014

Thread: Quick questions / Quick answers -- EU3

  1. #7941
    When wanting to colonize, it is wise to "beeline" trade tech 7 and govt. tech 9 and put the slider down on the other research tabs? Is it worrisome that you're falling behind this early in the game in land, naval and prod. tech or will the colonization head start make up for it in the long run?

    Best,
    Lucas

  2. #7942
    Lt. General ANO1453's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    by Jove, who cares?
    Posts
    1,430
    Quote Originally Posted by lucas1986 View Post
    When wanting to colonize, it is wise to "beeline" trade tech 7 and govt. tech 9 and put the slider down on the other research tabs? Is it worrisome that you're falling behind this early in the game in land, naval and prod. tech or will the colonization head start make up for it in the long run?

    Best,
    Lucas
    Some countries (like Portugal and possibly England) are fairly safe. You should aim for Government Tech 4 and the Trade Tech 7. When you reach Trade Tech 7, switch ideas. You should now have a many year advance in colonisation in comparison to other nations.
    And it does pay off, that and minting. When your first batch of colonies first turns into cities and then cores, revenues will boom (at least they did in my Portugal game).
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------
    EU3 AAR: Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

  3. #7943
    Thanks ANO1453! It's 1450 and I've just selected QFTNW as my second national idea. Would you then loweder the govt. and trade slider and even the sliders out a bit?

  4. #7944
    Lt. General ANO1453's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    by Jove, who cares?
    Posts
    1,430
    Quote Originally Posted by lucas1986 View Post
    Thanks ANO1453! It's 1450 and I've just selected QFTNW as my second national idea. Would you then loweder the govt. and trade slider and even the sliders out a bit?
    No, even sliders is mostly a waste. Depending on your position (which country are you?) there are things that don't matter or that will only matter later.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------
    EU3 AAR: Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

  5. #7945
    If you're colonising it's usually a good idea to spend more on naval than land, especially if you're GB but also if you're Portugal and have Spain/Castille in a safe position (alliance/access/marriage/good relations/etc).

  6. #7946
    Second Lieutenant Titanshoe's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Reykjanesbær, Iceland
    Posts
    141
    If I integrate my PU partners, will I still get cores if I am from the same culture group like when I inherit them?
    Last edited by Titanshoe; 16-05-2012 at 23:53.

  7. #7947
    Field Marshal jdrou's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    22,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanshoe View Post
    If I integrate my PU partners, will I still get cores if I am from the same culture group like when I inherit them?
    No, you don't get any cores when you integrate.
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

    Playing EU4

    Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

  8. #7948
    Quote Originally Posted by jdrou View Post
    Expanding Influence. And it only gives cores on provinces adjacent to one of your cores (the alternative is losing a chunk of trade tech investment).
    Thank you. I was aware that event which give you cores on all provinces in india region would be overdone. Now it all makes sense.

  9. #7949
    to culture shift, do you need to have a majority of your provinces the same culture as your capitol, or just a plurality?

  10. #7950
    ANO1453, I'm playing as England. What should I focus on? Naval, trade and production? Also, is there any way to load a saved game without having to quit to desktop and re-start?

  11. #7951
    Field Marshal jdrou's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    22,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Slym View Post
    to culture shift, do you need to have a majority of your provinces the same culture as your capitol, or just a plurality?
    Plurality.
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

    Playing EU4

    Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

  12. #7952
    Can anyone explain the system of naval combat to me? As Sweden, my fleet got crushed by the Teutonic Order though I had around 15 carracks and 15 galleys and they had 7 carracks, but we got crushed. Our tech levels are the same, and my naval organization is at the max. I don't know what happened. I thought that maybe my ships were disorganized, so I made a force of 7 carracks and 7 galleys and lost to a 10-carrack Dutch force. Again, I had full naval organization. Why's this happening?

  13. #7953
    Recruit M. Robespierre's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stanford, Napoleonic California
    Posts
    4
    Where can I mod the size of colonists, the max pool of Colonists/Diplomats/Merchants/Missionaries and the rate at which they are received?

  14. #7954
    Quote Originally Posted by lucas1986 View Post
    ANO1453, I'm playing as England. What should I focus on? Naval, trade and production? Also, is there any way to load a saved game without having to quit to desktop and re-start?
    You can resign and load from the main menu.

    Technology depends on what you want to focus on. I'd guess naval or trade. You need trade 7 to colonize, and naval will help you with naval superiority and colonization.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajsciri4 View Post
    Can anyone explain the system of naval combat to me? As Sweden, my fleet got crushed by the Teutonic Order though I had around 15 carracks and 15 galleys and they had 7 carracks, but we got crushed. Our tech levels are the same, and my naval organization is at the max. I don't know what happened. I thought that maybe my ships were disorganized, so I made a force of 7 carracks and 7 galleys and lost to a 10-carrack Dutch force. Again, I had full naval organization. Why's this happening?
    Bigger fleets suffer from positioning penalties. That shouldn't be an issue with fleets that small, though. Do you have naval maintenance on full? Do you have an admiral? Do they?
    -Ruanek

  15. #7955
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruanek View Post
    Bigger fleets suffer from positioning penalties. That shouldn't be an issue with fleets that small, though. Do you have naval maintenance on full? Do you have an admiral? Do they?
    No, I don't have an admiral, but they didn't either. Yeah, I never turn my maintenances down (I'm rather forgetful when it comes to declaring war). I don't know, usually I start out with like a third of the morale bar filled when I first start combat. I'm not sure why.

  16. #7956
    Ruler of the Queen's Navee George LeS's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4,613
    Quote Originally Posted by ajsciri4 View Post
    No, I don't have an admiral, but they didn't either. Yeah, I never turn my maintenances down (I'm rather forgetful when it comes to declaring war). I don't know, usually I start out with like a third of the morale bar filled when I first start combat. I'm not sure why.
    Did you watch the battle? Sometimes ridiculous die rolls make a difference, although that shouldn't be with those numbers. Still, I cannot be sure. Did you check the positioning #s during the battle. What were your tech levels, ideas, policies, and advisors. Since your country is probably much bigger, it could be that they've teched much faster. Also, are you playing 5.1 or 5.2. Naval combat in 5.2 is vastly better. For a maritime nut like me, it's the best patch, ever.

    The question about morale is whether you both are at approximately the same, or does the enemy start out at or near full? If the latter, that would explain it. Also, just putting maintenance to full doesn't instantly raise morale. You have to wait a month or 2 to get to max (although you imply this wasn't an issue.)
    'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.' -- the Water Rat

    GRIN Mod--Historical leaders mods: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...46994-GRIN-Mod

    Rex Maris--SRI-based naval and exploration mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...4#post11451354

  17. #7957
    Quote Originally Posted by George LeS View Post
    Did you watch the battle? Sometimes ridiculous die rolls make a difference, although that shouldn't be with those numbers. Still, I cannot be sure. Did you check the positioning #s during the battle. What were your tech levels, ideas, policies, and advisors. Since your country is probably much bigger, it could be that they've teched much faster. Also, are you playing 5.1 or 5.2. Naval combat in 5.2 is vastly better. For a maritime nut like me, it's the best patch, ever.
    The question about morale is whether you both are at approximately the same, or does the enemy start out at or near full? If the latter, that would explain it. Also, just putting maintenance to full doesn't instantly raise morale. You have to wait a month or 2 to get to max (although you imply this wasn't an issue.)
    Yeah, I watched the battle. No, there weren't three straight zeros or anything. However, I'm playing DW 5.0. And usually I start with 1/3 of normal morale and the enemy usually about 2/3.

  18. #7958
    Lt. General ANO1453's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    by Jove, who cares?
    Posts
    1,430
    Quote Originally Posted by lucas1986 View Post
    ANO1453, I'm playing as England. What should I focus on? Naval, trade and production? Also, is there any way to load a saved game without having to quit to desktop and re-start?
    Yes, Trade and Naval. Naval gets you ahead in colonisation while protecting you, Trade will be the main source of your income for quite some time.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------
    EU3 AAR: Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

  19. #7959
    Field Marshal DDRJake's Avatar
    Ship Simulator Extremes

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland,United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,787
    Why would anybody still be running DW5.0?

  20. #7960
    Ruler of the Queen's Navee George LeS's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4,613
    Quote Originally Posted by ajsciri4 View Post
    Yeah, I watched the battle. No, there weren't three straight zeros or anything. However, I'm playing DW 5.0. And usually I start with 1/3 of normal morale and the enemy usually about 2/3.
    Since I was unable to play until 5.1, I don't know what bugs you may've run into.

    5.2b is so much better, that I urge you to register & get it.
    'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.' -- the Water Rat

    GRIN Mod--Historical leaders mods: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...46994-GRIN-Mod

    Rex Maris--SRI-based naval and exploration mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...4#post11451354

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts