• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The inherent problem with this approach is obvious. As was noted in another post, the most popular start date is the earliest possible so tuning things around a different date will undoubtedly immediately create issues with the most popular date, resulting in popular outcry to "fix" whatever seems broken about the earlier date. How many changes over the years have there been that benefitted nations that don't exist in the 1453 start due to complaints that they were broken in the 1399 start?

Is that because it's the earliest date, or because it's the default, "Grand Campaign" date, though?

The big improvements I would like to see are with the a.i. and its horrible decision making. When a 2pm thinks it's a good idea to DoW a globe-spanning behemoth with more forces stationed at their border than they could hope to raise and a hundred year tech lead there is a problem. A.i. expansion is ridiculously stupid in many cases turning the map into silly looking checkerboards, etc, etc. The horde mechanics also need some improvement and some glaring loopholes in other areas need fixing.

" " "

But if you want to select a date relevant to the era, it would be 1356 - the date of the Diet of Nuremburg that resulted in the Golden Bull, which established the constitutional structure of the Holy Roman Empire until its demise, and was the last major change to the European system until the Thirty Years' War and the Peace of Westphalia.

Of course, if you don't want to be Euro-centric, you might pick other dates. Timur's armies sacked Delhi on December 17th, 1398; the Mughal Empire was established by Babur in 1526 and eventually established the last stable empire on the subcontinent before British rule. The Yuan Dynasty of Mongols in China was overthrown by the Han Chinese Ming Dynasty in 1368, which proceeded to seek further contact with the outside world, resulting in Admiral Zheng He's voyages before the Confucian elites prevailed on the Emperor to stop wasting money showing off boats to barbarians. The Aztecs established hegemony over the native tribes of what we now call Mexico in the 1420s under Tlacaelel. The Inca began their imperial expansion in ~1438 under Sapa Inca Pachacuti. The Great Khmer Empire in Southeast Asia reached its watershed around 1327. Sarai, the capital of the Golden Horde and one of the largest cities of the medieval world, was destroyed in 1556. The Lithuanian king Jogaila converted to Christianity in 1385. The Battle of the Ice in 1242 effectively ended the Northern Crusaders' battle against the Russian Orthodox states. And so on and so forth.

You can pick whatever date you'd like and make a case for it. Personally I'd pick 1369 or so: the Ming Dynasty is just beginning to rule China, and will do so for most of the scenario. The Golden Bull has just been issued, establishing the Holy Roman Empire as it is represented in the game; Lithuania has just converted to Catholicism the prior year and the Northern Crusades are ended, marking the end of the crusader period in the north; Timur has just been proclaimed sovereign in Samarkand; the Ottomans have just arrived in Europe, having won the Battle of Adrianople in 1365. It's a point where many of the key areas of focus have just entered crucial periods that Europa Universalis seeks to enact.

One diplomatic issue that would be nice if fixed for the next game would be the way the AI handles invasions from non-enemy territory by armies with a right of passage. It should be possible by diplomacy to demand that they stop giving acces for the duration of the war.

If agreed upon the militairy acces is revoked and can't be reinstated untill there is peace. If declined the one who asked should get a good casus belli on the nation providing acces.

This to prevent things like I just did :p. playing hide and seek with 4k infantry against a 50k army were I would occupy/recapture any siege they succeeded in as soon as they lift: I could hide in another nations province that dead center in this cluster of provinces. Meanwhile my 14k stack was free to take Bohemia's capitol unopposed.

While houserules etc can help here, some sort of ingame solution would be nice :)

I would like it is you would add more info about a nation (via dropdowns) on the starting map.

I would like it is you would add more info about a nation (via dropdowns) on the starting map.
Any EU4 suggestions would probably be better posted in the EU4 forum now.