Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #16 - Trade & Stockpile systems

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another age-old postulate is the separation of manpower and material instead of having general "Strength"...

+1
This would bring a whole new level of realism. Air and tank divisions taking less mp losses and higher material losses, aircraft damaging trucks and tractors making attacked division move slower, etc, etc

+1
This would bring a whole new level of realism. Air and tank divisions taking less mp losses and higher material losses, aircraft damaging trucks and tractors making attacked division move slower, etc, etc

Hell yeah. And if this were ever introduced, then war booty would be a must as well. The Finns and the Germans in North Africa used lots of war booty for their own needs.

The DH devs must be thinking now - what the hell, why didn't those guys think of that sooner so that we would have time to implement it!?

Ok then, but i still want TC to be used instead of cunsumption for army stockpile calculations!
(As it would limit the army size to your current level of industrialization. eg kenya cant support the same amount of troops as usa)
Supply production (and therefor armysize) is already limited by your IC... And Kenya can't have the same amount off troops as USA even in regular HoI2. We are talking about stockpiles which is something else.
And even if your line of reasoning were true I don't see how forcing for example China to have an even smaller army because their Industry is small would solve any problems or make the game more historical.

Limiting stockpiles after your needs is fine and fair. After all most of those stockpiles were historically stored near the units. For example large oil cicterns were built in busy Military Ports and Airports and large supply & ammo warehouses built near armybases. The more divisions, ships and airwings that use these sites the larger stockpiles are built.

Does this mean that German subs can now actually starve the British isles crashing the IC, instead of starving the colonies of supplies and allowing a cakewalk in Africa and India?

i think the stockpile limit is a great idea. maybe finally it will be possible for barbarossa to run out of oil and supplies and for the uboots to starve britain.
the issue is probably what should the limit be tied to. i think it should be connected to the overall infrastructure of the country, so that eg. germany can stockpile more than brazil.
i'm against using army size in the equation, because building new tank divisions would rather make the supply situation on the eastern front worse and not better.

i'm against using army size in the equation, because building new tank divisions would rather make the supply situation on the eastern front worse and not better.
But it does make it worse... You wont gain any oil or supplies from building that tank division, but your TC will suffer and your consumption will go up emptying the stockpile quicker then before...

What it does however is make sure you need a large tankforce before the war breaks up if you want to build up a large stockpile for them. It's both logical and realistic that your logistics staff won't plan stockpiles for units not built yet.

BTW will the AI buy blueprints if it feels it needs them and has the money, resources (if its stockpile is nearing "maximum" value, then it would be a good idea to give some resources for technology) or whatever?

i think the stockpile limit is a great idea. maybe finally it will be possible for barbarossa to run out of oil and supplies and for the uboots to starve britain.
the issue is probably what should the limit be tied to. i think it should be connected to the overall infrastructure of the country, so that eg. germany can stockpile more than brazil.

You could use a weighted sum of total infra, total IC and # of divisions... with different weights for the different resources.

The one thing I kept not understanding and that forced me to revive this thread: what does 'Accept deals min threshold: X' mean? How it works?

Every deal has a value based on the amount of asked/given goods multiplied but goods value (function of base prices, but also in stockpile levels and trends). That value is in the range of 0 to 100. This slider allows players to set it lower then 100 when needed in order to get more trades.

Yes.
Actually I never changed it from the default 80 during my games. Last night I run a test game with 100 and found no problems too (1 year as Germany), but I guess in some situations (Japan at war for example) this slider could be of use.

I use 65. I don't really compare them, but at least I get the psychological effect that the trade AI might get more oil-giving deals (I stockpile much oil before the war as Germany).