• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Man, this has gotten great. Its too bad that HPP won't work over Magrathrea, because I'd love to try something like this myself :D

Actually, the latest version of the HPP, 1.9.2, uses Magrathea's map. The version I'm using for this AAR is about 5 months obsolete :)

Anyway, update coming tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have just finished reading 21 pages of great AAR'ing. A great story and an even greater campaign. Good luck when you take on the UN!

*Migrates from lurking in this thread to posting*

I have not read it all yet, but I dont have to in order to say Good Work! :)

Great AAR! Nicely written and lots of pictures. just how I like it...

I have a question though, when you say your BCs and CAs are designed to trade main armament for speed and range, have you researched the main armament anyways? I have seen in your mod BBs and BCs share main armament research and a BB with a peashooter won't do much good for your navy.

The next question - and this might be belonging into another thread, but what the heck - is a game mechanic one, when I build a cruiser with less than best main gun and do not check the "don't update this unit" button, does the system automatically update to a bigger gun when the ship is in port? And if I check the button can I manually choose what to upgrade (Radar, etc.)?

Last edited:
In HOI3, when you build a ship you can select which components you want to use. In the original game there's no real point in doing that, as each component only gives bonuses. The HPP mod changed this so heavier main guns and armor slow the ship down, and larger engines make it go faster. So, what I did for the BCs and CAs used for commerce raiding was research their main guns anyway since BBs and my non-raider CAs needed the larger guns for fleet battles, and put smaller guns on the raider ships to make them faster and go farther than they otherwise would've been able to.

With ships, the only components that are upgradeable are the radar and anti-aircraft guns. No other components will upgrade, because they are integral to the ships design and you just can't replace them. You also can't choose which components to upgrade after a ship is built; that button is either all or nothing (or in the case of ships, radar + AA or nothing). Planes, tanks, and infantry are slightly different, because every component will be upgraded and you can't pick between different components. In other words, for non-ship units the game engine will try to upgrade them to use the best components possible unless you manually turn upgrading off.

Oh, and sorry for the serious lack of updates. I've been distracted lately, but I promise there will be an update or two this week!

A great AAR and thoroughly enjoyable read :)

Is that the end? In your signature you've put done on one of your other AAR's. It would be nice to see the end of the campaign, but if not it has been a good read, so thanks!

great AAR, can't wait for what's coming.

I'll be following this

/Krogzar

Wondering what the status of this AAR is. We're coming close to 2 months of no updates so I'm really worried I won't get to see the USA and Germany face off.

the man has a lot on his plate, it would seem. plus he's probably knee-deep in code right now, trying to help save FtM.

Wondering what the status of this AAR is. We're coming close to 2 months of no updates so I'm really worried I won't get to see the USA and Germany face off.

Sorry, I've been really busy with work and finishing the SF version of the HPP (mainly work though; "chaotic work schedule" is an understatement...). I'm also trying to help out with the work on the official FtM map in regards to the Chinese theater and some surrender borders. I will say I have played this particular game for about 3 months past the last update, but don't really have enough material to make an actual chapter (trekking across Siberia isn't very interesting). This weekend I should be free, and as long as I don't get called in to work at the jet engine test site I plan to finish off the Soviets and write the corresponding chapters.

Last edited:
Then Invade America!

Well, I have some good news and some bad news. First off, I have enough material to make another chapter or two. The bad news is I won't have any spare time to write it up until possibly this weekend, as I've been scheduled to do the night shift for the next month at the engine test site (4pm to 4am, with 3 hours total travel time). That doesn't leave me with a lot of time to do much of anything when I get home other than sleep, and what spare time I will have I want to devote to the Community Map Project, so the Bitter Peace region seen in this AAR can make it into the official game as a wargoal.

look at it from the positive side: at least your job seems pretty secure :p

Hey guys, here's a long overdue update. I've decided to end this current game and declare a stalemate. After playing ahead about 6 months, I've come to the conclusion that I stand no chance against the USA in the short term. However, I won't abandon the idea of conquering the USA. I have a FtM game that started off as just a test, but I'm now in a position to invade the USA in July 1941, with both the UK and USSR out of commission :) I'll start a new AAR with the focus of invading the USA as Germany given the current status of that game, and let this one end. I hope everyone enjoyed Teutonic Dreams, and I hope you read my new one which I should start in the next day or two. I also apologize for the lack of updates near the end. A combination of work and porting over HPP changes to the CMP used up all my free time.

I do plan to start another HPP AAR after it's ported over to FtM. My guess is that conversion will be done by early September, because we need to redo ALL of our surrender events due to PI's switch to the wargoals system of Vicky 2 and EU3. In the meantime, I'm open to suggestions for the next country I should play as. I'm willing to play as anyone except the USA, UK, USSR, or Germany. Those countries are simply too easy to play. The opposite is true of countries with less than 20 IC; with HPP rules they're almost impossible to play, with the sole exception being the PRC. I also have two HPP alt-history submods - one for Austria-Hungary and one for Turkey or Greece. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Austria-Hungary!