• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
lots of work-related stress...I pity the poor country that stands in your way now...

Shame about your work, I remember you posting something about that a while ago :(

Sorry if I came across as a tad needy, but I thought that maybe the China problem may have halted progress there. Looking forward to the next update though, but of course RL and work come first ;)

Just an update post, since I've been kind of quiet lately. I have pictures for the next few chapters ready, just need to pick which ones to use and actually write it up the chapters :)

Same here. Great AAR. Keep up the good work Brom.
As a matter of fact I'm trying to play it with the latest version of HPP.

This is some fantastic stuff.:)

Thanks! Expect the next batch of updates on Monday. I ended up having to write up a custom event for China to absorb the warlords, because the AI refused to attack them due to the shared allied theater bug I mentioned earlier.

Thanks! Expect the next batch of updates on Monday. I ended up having to write up a custom event for China to absorb the warlords, because the AI refused to attack them due to the shared allied theater bug I mentioned earlier.

I think this is pretty justified. Too bad you couldn't edit the Theatre somehow though. Is this bug going to be fixed before HPP 2.0?

I think this is pretty justified. Too bad you couldn't edit the Theatre somehow though. Is this bug going to be fixed before HPP 2.0?

No, since it is a bug in the engine.

Chapter 46: Chinese Unification Part 1 - November 16, 1943 to April 12, 1944

Following Japan's defeat, the Republic of China, under intense German pressure, opened hostilities among its former allies in a bid to consolidate Nanjing's control over the country. The War of Chinese Unification would quickly expand to the break-away states of Tibet and Manchukuo. While fighting quickly renewed in Manchuria, the various warlord armies refused to fight their fellow Chinese, creating a very awkward internal situation for China - the soldiers on all sides except the Manchurians refused to fight each other while the politicians and generals attempted to whip them into a fury.

An example of Chinese artillery used during the 2nd Sino-Japanese War and the War of Chinese Unification

China was a land of anachronisms, resulting from ancient traditions colliding with modern technology. Despite China's attempts at modernization, many units were still poorly equipped and trained. While the soldiers fighting under the banner of China's ruling party, the Kuomintang, had modern German-inspired equipment and training, soldiers from areas under nominal KMT control or outside of KMT control were poorly equipped in comparison.

A Chinese "big sword unit". These types of troops were quite common among all Chinese armies until Chinese Unification

By April 11, 1944, nearly 5 months after "hostilities" broke out, a political compromise was made between the Chinese central government and the warlord states, allowing the warlords to flee in exile in exchange for relinquishing control over their territory and allowing their armies to disband. However, the deal was only between the KMT and its former warlord allies, as Manchukuo and Tibet refused to negotiate and instead continued to fight for their freedom.

postsurrender.jpg

Due to the soldiers' refusal to fight, a political compromise was made between the KMT and Chinese areas outside of its direct control

While the negotiations were taking place, active combat was occurring in territory belonging to the former Japanese puppet state Manchukuo. In typical Chinese fashion, the RoC's advance was slow, clumsy, and costly. Despite having fought Japan for some length of time, China's military tactics hadn't evolved based on experience from the war, as the Chinese generals continued their Human Wave doctrine of sending many men to their deaths without major artillery support in order to achieve a tactical victory. Manchukuo on the other hand, had fought alongside Japanese troops for years, as well as had been trained by Japanese advisers, resulting in a much more professional and capable force. Combined with the situation amongst its troops and former allies, the KMT made poor initial progress in consolidating its control.

Chinese mounted troops during battle, using their horses for cover. This type of behavior is a perfect example of China's failure to adjust to modern warfare

Both frustrated and encouraged, Adolf Hitler, the ruler of the German Reich, ordered the Heer's troops currently bordering the Soviet Union to advance. While the attack had been planned for quite some time, the initial plan was to simultaneously assault the USSR from both China and Germany. While China was currently occupied with Tibet and Manchukuo, the surrender of the warlords could allow China to aid in the war effort quickly if needed. As the vast majority of the USSR's troops were positioned along the Germany border, China's role would simply be that of an occupier of the USSR's Far East holdings.

The main reason for Hitler's early decision to declare war was a result of the Reich's massive naval buildup in preparation for conflict with the UN. Despite having built a fleet capable of taking on the world's largest and 3rd largest navies within 5 years, the sheer size of the USA's industrial capacity and existing fleet required the Reich to invest significant resources into warship production. However, in early March, 1944, it was decided that the Reich still needed to greatly expand its industry, and needed to do so quickly. Because factory investments take roughly one year at a minimum to yield results, Hitler and the NSDAP hungrily eyed the Soviet industry transferred to the Ural region. Thus, the 2nd German-Soviet War began on April 12, 1944.

The 2nd German-Soviet War began on April 12, 1944

Really interesting update, and I'm glad you've settled your hardware/game issues. Does HPP end in 1948 like vanilla HOI + SF?

Interesting war in China...
I had actually expected the CHinese would quickly overwhelm Manchukuo because of their numbers.

Good luck with finishing off the last remnants of the Soviet Union! After all, this may really take some time due to the bad infrastructure as well as the sheer amount of space that needs to be conquered.

Good luck with finishing off the last remnants of the Soviet Union! After all, this may really take some time due to the bad infrastructure as well as the sheer amount of space that needs to be conquered.

Yeah, it will probably be a long and boring campaign :p

Alot accomplished up to 1944! Looking forward to seeing what the rest of the war brings.

Will the USSR be any challenge at all now?

Rensslaer

Well Bromgrev go finish the fight! Quick question though the UN you mentioned, is that a military alliance the Us made with the nations or is tha just the remnants of the Allies faction?

Expect another update tomorrow. I was going to update tonight, but got home really late from work and am going to bed after posting this.

@Avindian: Yes, the HPP ends in 1948.

@Slan: That's why I wanted to free China up so it can help by taking Vladivostock ;)

@Rensslaer: You'll find out tomorrow :)

@Enewald: I don't have any resource issues, I just need more IC to help expand the Kriegsmarine before taking on the US.

@Mikeb545: The UN is what I've been calling the remnants of the Allies faction after the US reformed it. I'm using that term in order to differentiate between the former UK/France-led alliance of Europeans and their colonies and the US-led faction that includes most of the Americas plus the former Commonwealth nations. While the faction is still the Allies, the original Allies members were kicked out and the faction dissolved when I beat the UK, so the US-led one is technically a different faction. Since you can't add a fourth faction and expect the game to work, we modded the game for the US to reform everything instead.