• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
At this point, what do you think the development level of North Korea would be with the south being in control for some time? I mean, one of the ROK carriers is called Pyongyang

I think North Korea has light bulbs now. I say that because there is a satellite photo of the Korean Penisula at night showing South Korea all lighted up and North Korea completely in the dark.

I'd think that in that society they would use the manpower of the North in the ROK army in exchange for considerable pensions like the Romans did and like the romans attempt to form the conquered territory in their image so 30 years from now they would catch up when all is said and done. Also, I like how ROK has a carrier based navy now, it shows they are a partner, not a puppet and push over.

@Asalto: If you think the ROK Navy is impressive, just wait till I show you what the Royal Thai Navy started putting into service.

@Sakura_F: No, that would be too gamey. Im not going to coup or do anything like that to any country I am at war with, whether it is Australia or anyone else.

@Sumeragi: Im sure with a few tweaks and whatnot you could turn one of those things into a bit of a light Aircraft Carrier. Besides, its 2018, by now I am sure either Japan, Korea, or many of the other pro-Japanese states have designed some small VTOL strike fighters that could be used from the ships.

@CylonAndrew & Nathan Madien: Well, its been almost a decade since North and South Korea were reunified, so I think its fair to say that by now, Northern Korea would be going through a big economic boom. Lots of jobs in reconstruction, the ROK military, infrastructure, Japanese and Southern Korean financial investment, Northern Korea would probably be experiencing growth similar to what happened in South Korea during the 1960's and 1970's.

@everyone else: thanks for the comments!

Darwin: Northern Australia. Coalition reconnaissance units detect the approach of a large Japanese military invasion force approaching the city. Local Coalition forces now go to action stations as Japanese Marines knock on the gates of Darwin. The marines face heavy opposition, battling it out with local Australian army units, some Brazilian troops, and a brigade of Britain's elite Special Air Service (SAS) commandos.
battleofdarwin.png

The fighting is ferocious, and Japanese marines take heavy casualties in the streets of Darwin, especially at the hands of elite SAS soldiers. However, after a few days of combat, Coalition troops are forced to withdraw from the city. Darwin is secured, and Japan establishes its foothold in Australia.
australiafoothold.png

Japanese marines are very quickly joined by the next wave of the invasion force: thousands of Japanese troops that had been waiting in East Timor and New Guinea. With reinforcements in place, Japanese troops begin to expand their bridgehead into the countryside around Darwin. Australian army forces fight hard to every inch of ground, but the advance goes steadily.
beachheadexpanded.png

battleofnhulunbuy.png
battleofkatherine.png

However, the Australian Army proves itself to be a very tough opponent. Australian troops gather south of Darwin and counterattack Japanese units around Katherine. Australian tanks drive into Japanese lines and force Japanese units to withdraw back to the north.
aussiecounterattack.png

To keep up the momentum, Japanese forces attack to the east, along the coastline. Enemy resistance is very heavy, and the Australian army does not give up ground easily. However, Japanese firepower is able to drive the Australians further and further away from Darwin.
battleofborroloola.png

The Japanese advance soon runs out of steam however. Japanese troops run right into secondary lines of resistance, manned by heavy concentrations of Australian units. The Australian army is able to halt the Japanese advance right around Mount Isa, something that fills the Australian Army with a great wave of optimism.
battleofmountisa.png

Japanese troops then try to attack along the center of the front, hoping to achieve a breakthrough. Once again though, Australian resistance proves to be too hard to break, and this attack is called off.
barrowcreek.png

Sensing weakness, Australian forces launch their biggest counterattack yet. Starting at Wave Hill in the west, Australian heavy mechanized infantry units pounce on exhausted Japanese forces in the area, throwing them into a retreat to the north.
heavyanzacresistance.png

v0109903.jpg

Japanese forces attempt to regroup and form strong secondary defense lines, but the momentum of the Australian counterattack cannot be stopped this far away from Darwin. Japanese troops are forced to abandon their positions west of Darwin, to link up with well rested Japanese units further east.
anzacsfightingback.png

Australia's Army has proven to be a much stronger foe than previously thought. All Japanese attempts to achieve a breakthrough along the northern front have foundered in the face of heavy enemy resistance. Worried that the Australian campaign could turn into a costly debacle, Japanese commanders move quickly to shuttle in fresh reinforcements, all the way from China.
australiareinforcementp.png

After arriving at Darwin however, the reinforcements are ordered back on to their ships, sailing along the western Australian coastline to the major city of Perth. There, they storm the city, defeating its undermanned garrison and establishing a new beach head. Hopefully, this will help divert pressure form the northern fronts and enable Japanese troops in Australia to achieve some kind of breakthrough.
battleofperth.png

I would recommend a simultaneous attack on New Zealand at this point if you have the men. You could then use New Zealand as a stagging ground to launch a third invasion, this one aimed at the Australian heartland around Sydney and Canberra.

Australians are pretty tough it seems! Maybe it would be really better to take out NZ first and then open another front in Southern Australia (as History Buff suggested).

Australians are pretty tough it seems! Maybe it would be really better to take out NZ first and then open another front in Southern Australia (as History Buff suggested).

I couldn't agree more.

Also, what are the Japanese plans for Australia and NZ, once they surrender?

@Ivir Baggins: Probably after I finish off Australia and New Zealand, as well as after I carve up China...

@History_Buff: New Zealand is kinda far away, and I preferred not to overstretch my supply lines or something. Therefore, I simply figured I would march across Australia and let the Aussies make their final stand in those far off cities to the southeast. It might sound like a cruel grind, but the coastal areas are very good for infrastructure allowing for rapid movement, while my airmobile infantry brigades can clear the Outback relatively quickly.

@Asalto: Im glad the Aussies are giving that impression. I wanted a big land war over all of Australia against the formidable ANZAC's and they are not disappointing me. However I expected their armoured units to be more modern (since most of them are late upgraded 1970's vehicles) but I guess it adds a nice flavour of the Aussies dusting off tons of old retired MBT's and throwing them into the battle to defend their homeland.

@hoi2geek: You shall have to wait until after they surrender.

@everyone else: thanks for the comments!

While the Battle of Australia rages further south, in the central pacific, Siberia's new Air Force gets to take part in some action of its own, attacking American forces stationed in far away pacific islands with minor bombing raids from their Japanese designed aircraft.
siberianairforce.png

In Australia, the Japanese landing at Perth has played out very well. Japanese units there are now breaking out to the east, drawing away Australian units that are badly needed along the main frontlines.
westaustraliafront.png

Sensing weakness, Japanese commanders order a massive general offensive throughout Northern Australia.
northaustraliaoffensive.png

In some areas, Japanese forces break through enemy lines, but in others, the Australians put up stubborn resistance. At Broome for example, powerful concentrations of Australian mechanized infantry hold their ground against Japanese assaults, forcing this attack to be called off in order to avoid heavy losses.
battleofbroome.png

57rar.jpg

To the east, Japanese heavy mechanized units attack the Australian stronghold of Mount Isa, the strongest point in the Australian defense lines. Despite being outnumbered by the enemy forces, Japanese units are able to break through enemy lines and force the Australian army to retreat for this position. The fall of Mount Isa is a devastating blow to the Australians, as now Japanese units begin to advance steadily throughout the entire region.
siegeofmountisa.png

Australian units along the southern coast of the country are also in big trouble. Japanese troops advance relentlessly towards the east, breaking through enemy positions. The Australians are trying to form new lines of defense, but each battle further saps their strength and weakens their forces available to resist here.
battleofpenong.png

The remote Australian outback does not escape from Japanese eyes either. Japanese airmobile infantry units are ordered to clear out enemy resistance in this rugged and sparsely populated region of the country, which the Australians are not devoting many units to trying to defend (since the major cities and industries are all located along the coastlines).
battleintheoutback.png

Back in the Northeast, Australian defences in the region are starting to unravel. Japanese units march into Far North Queensland, taking Weipa, Cairns, and defeating attempts by the Australian Army to counterattack and drive Japanese armies back.
northeasternbattles.png

to the northwest, the Australian army has been put in a very fatal position. Although Broome had held in the face of earlier attacks, Australian units to the south and west of the town have been destroyed or forced to retreat to the town, resulting in thousands of Australian troops now being cut off and surrounded in Broome. Japanese units now make the final assault to clear out them out, and after several hours of heavy fighting, are able to force the remnants of the Australian forces here to surrender, a huge blow to the Australian army and its chances of holding out against the Japanese invasion.
broomesiege.png

The state of the Australian frontlines by November 18th, 2018. About half of the continental sized country is in Japanese hands. Perth, Darwin, and many other towns and communities of western Australia now fly the Japanese flag. Australia's army has fought very hard for every inch of their country, but now they have been forced to retreat to new defense lines along the center of the continent. More fighting will be needed before victory, but Japan is well on its way to defeating yet another of its enemies. Once Australia and New Zealand are eliminated, the time will then come for the final battle, all the way in America...
australianfrontnovember.png

The Japanese yellow is so pretty. It's probably the best colour in HoI2. I look forward to seeing it spread! Australia looks particularly epic, like it's being eaten by a mutated Pac-Man.

What of Britain, after America falls? I imagine they would likely cosy up to the EF and either ally with them or even volunteer for annexation. They'd surely be utterly doomed if they carried on against a Japanese-controlled America.

broomesiege.png

Wow, they are losing manpower much quicker than morale! Australians seem to be very determined, we must have already ran out of the nostalgia bombs? Or even worse, maybe they are not very effective against them...Humph, very well then, this will have consequences after the war when we'll have to settle Australia with more types of Western people that do appreciate Japanese culture.

:rolleyes:;)

Last edited:
@Meadow: More likely the British in that case would come running into the waiting arms of the EF's camp. I don't think they would outright became a part of the EF, but a very strong and close ally of them.

@everyone: Thanks for the comments! Also, I hope this AAR has not become boring at this point. Remember, I have not even gotten to the big finale in America, and hopefully I can get to that one pretty quickly after Australia and New Zealand are gone. I am kinda itching to end this aar very rapidly as soon as I can get to America. Afterwards, I am looking forward to doing something in DH before I do my big MDS AAR idea I have been working on for the last several months....

After taking some time to regroup and resupply their forces, Japanese generals order a general advance eastwards into the rest of Australia. In the northeast, Japanese troops encounter heavy resistance, but is it soon overcome, forcing the Australian army to withdraw.
northeastaussieoffensiv.png

A general advance is also undertaken in the south, where Japanese tanks lead the way towards the city of Adelaide.
marchtoadelaide.png

Japanese forces try to advance further into the Eastern Outback region of Australia, but very heavier than expected resistance from in depth Australian defenses actually forces Japanese units to withdraw from combat, delaying the overall advance for a while.
outbackdefenses.png

Reinforcements are called in, and Japanese units attack the main Australian defensive lines with overwhelming force. the Australian Army takes immense losses, and falls back in disarray to the eastern coast. The best units of the Australian army have been utterly broken in this battle.
aussiearmybroken.png

With the northern flank now secured, Adelaide falls to Japanese forces.
battleofadelaide.png

Meanwhile, back in Japan, the navy starts getting replacements for the battlecruisers it lost during the opening months of the Pacific War. 3 new battlecruisers are launched and enter service, the first of a very large order for new battlecruisers that was placed by the navy a few years prior.
newbattlecruisers.png

Christmas, 2018. Normally it would be a time of celebration for the people of Australia, but this time, there is no room for a happy holiday. Australia's Army has retreated to its last defensive lines, situated outside of the really big cities like Sydney or Canberra. Dug in, the Australian army vows to fight to the death to defend the last of its homeland from the invading Japanese forces.
australiannationaredoub.png

With Japanese forces in position, the order is given for an all out attack across all sectors against the Australians. Completely overwhelmed by immense Japanese assaults, the Australian Army quickly routs.
killingblowaussies.png

Very rapidly, Australian defenses unravel. Japanese troops march into Melbourne with great haste, and then turn their sights on Canberra, the Australian capital. Australian troops try to put up some resistance there, but they are quickly overrun.
fallofcanberra.png

The last stand. 4 understrength Australian units with whatever equipment is left are now trapped in Sydney, surrounded by the Japanese army. Japanese marines lead the way, surrounding and clearing out pockets of resistance throughout the city. One such pocket is centered on the famous Sydney Opera House, and only surrenders after Japanese artillery and tank fire levels the building, which was being used as a military command centre by the enemy. Other strongpoints fall one after the other, until finally, the last Australian units begin coming out from behind their barricades and foxholes with their weapons gone and waving white flags. The battle ends and Sydney falls under Japanese rule.
battleofsydney.png

On January 12th, 2019, the battle of Australia ends when the governor general and the prime minister agree to unconditional surrender. Australia now surrender's to Japanese rule, but not until heavy fighting all over the country destroyed many of its cities and infrastructure, killing very large numbers of soldiers and non-combatants all over the country. Japan now sets to the task of reconstructing the country in preparation for its political reorganization, which will be finalized once New Zealand, which is only a short distance away, is absorbed into the Japanese Empire's sphere of influence.
australiansurrender.png

One down, two to go.

Now that the war is winding down, it should be a good time to knock out those neutral states in ALL of South America, don't you think?

What more can I say, good job taking out Australia! I see that there are still some EF Pacific possessions laying nearby. Maybe a potential problem in EF-Japanese relations?

One down, two to go.

Now that the war is winding down, it should be a good time to knock out those neutral states in ALL of South America, don't you think?

I don't think South America is neutral. IIRC, during WW3, all of it was forcibly puppeted by the Coalition (US and UK) for siding with ECON and Shanghai Pact.

@hoi2geek: Im not going to South America, and none of those countries is Neutral anyway.

@Asalto: More than likely, I doubt the EF will just hand them to me if I demand them.

@everyone: thanks for the comments!

With Australia gone, Japan turns to finish off its tiny ally in the region, New Zealand. Japanese carriers sail between the two main islands that make up the distant little country, closing down all communications between the north and south.
targetnewzealand.png

Japanese ground forces begin storming the country not long afterwards, hitting the capital of Wellington. New Zealands small but very well trained army puts up a good fight, attacking the much larger Japanese units with strong hit and run attacks and ambushes, but cannot do much more due to the sheer brute strength of the Japanese military.
battleofwellington.png

619640082335d71003f4z.jpg

Back in Japan, the navy is taking delivery of some of the last of its new battlecruisers. About 15 of them are expected to enter service in total once their construction is complete.
morebattlecruisers.png

In New Zealand, Japanese troops move to finish off all enemy resistance. New Zealand's army very quickly crumbles away before Japanese might, leading to the country's remaining cities and towns falling one after the other to Japanese troops.
nzcollapses.png

On February 7th, 2019, the fighting ends when New Zealand's government surrenders to Japanese rule. The South Pacific campaign is now finally over.
nzsurrender.png

With all major enemies in the region defeated, Japan now begins the political reorganization of many of the new lands it has conquered. The solution for Australia and New Zealand is rather simple, as Japanese leaders decide to simply merge the ANZAC's into the new Australasian Federation. Politically, the country uses the same governing system that Australia used to use, constitutional parliamentary rule, but with a new twist. Japanese leaders replace all of Australia and New Zealands ties with the British royal family with ties to the Japanese Imperial family. Representing the Japanese monarchy in Australasia is none other than the now rehabilitated former figure head of the "Free Japan" faction of the Japanese Civil War: Prince Watanabe, who becomes Governor General of Australasia.
australasianfederation.png

The Australasian Cabinet. The country retains its old governing structure, which is now run through local Quislings under the beck and call of Governor General Watanabe, who also receives very broad powers to run the country as he wishes.
australasianfedcabinet.png

While Australasia forms, Japan also organizes the final political structure of China. Japan permanently annexes some key coastal industrial and population centres, such as Hong Kong and Shanghai, and balkanizes the rest into 3 new states: the Guangzhou Republic, Kunming Republic, and a puppet Chinese regime to rule over the rest.
thenewchina2019.png

The Kunming Republic. Based out of the major Western city of Kunming, which gives the country its namesake, its gets control over the Yunnan region, and is governed like Australasia from local collaborators, many of them with military backgrounds.
kunmingrepublic.png

Along the South China Sea coast is the Quangzhou republic, which also gets its name from its capital city. Here, regionalist civilian collaborators are found to be eager to administer the new country, which also controls some very important Chinese cities and resource areas.
guangzhourepublic.png

Finally, is the new puppet China, ruled out of the city of Nanking (giving it the unofficial name of China-Nanking) and given sovereignty over the rest of the country. The largest and strongest of the countries that have been carved out of the defunct PRC, it is ruled by a combination of civilian collaborators and a military junta executive leadership. The country however also gives Japan very strong control over its economy and military, having to accept strong ownership of its industries and free market access by Japanese state and private corporations, as well as giving Japanese military forces full transit and basing rights throughout its territory. In exchange, Japan offers to China, and the other new countries in the region, full support in reconstruction after years of war as well as some local autonomy, as long as Japanese interests are not being conflicted against.
chinananking.png

Wow, I love what you did with Australasia, and I also like the Chinese puppets a lot! It's also nice that you kept some strategic footholds in China. Such setup really guarantees Japan the unquestionable leadership in region.

I like how you split China, did you have to make those nations yourself or they were in the game?

Most of them probably already were. Guangzhou People could just be a refitted Guangxi Clique. "China" could be a refitted China-Nanjing. Australasian Confederation is probably entirely new.

Most of them probably already were. Guangzhou People could just be a refitted Guangxi Clique. "China" could be a refitted China-Nanjing. Australasian Confederation is probably entirely new.

I don't think so, as far as I can remember, tags for Chinese warlords were used for needs of MDS scenario. Guangxi was used for Kosovo I think, others were given to African nations etc. Even DDR was used for Djibouti. ^^