• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I vote 2. It's not even very gamey; between allying with a declining power that can't even stop Cuba invading its back yard and allying with a rising superpower that of the entire NATO alliance has done the best in the war so far, I know which side I would pick. I'm not even sure whether Korea would want to annex Transamur or parts of Manchuria; that would just mean more territory that needs reconstructing and modernising, the unification of the pennisula would be enough for many South Koreans.

Option 2. I know that many of you say that Korean - Japanese relations aren't that good however this is an alternative universe. Therefore we can assume with a resurgent Japan that they wouldn't make the mistake of provoking the Republic of Korea (which they acknowledged as the true Korea) with those minor island disputes. Furthermore, Japan drifted farther from the USA in the direction of Asia (relations, no natural thing :p) so they would intensify the relations with Korea as their prime partner (there are no other good options).

Add to this the large ROK army and industry (largely interdependent with Japan, so you could either nerf them, or boost yourself to hold the upper hand) you have a powerful and willing ally. Plus you'll need everything you can to stop the Russian and Chinese hordes...:)

Tim

I'm not even sure whether Korea would want to annex Transamur or parts of Manchuria; that would just mean more territory that needs reconstructing and modernising, the unification of the pennisula would be enough for many South Koreans.
Not exactly. While all of Manchuria and such would probably not be part of the Korean's wishes, there will definitely be a push to redo the Gando Convention. I could make a map where the transfer of territory is minimum, but that's only if the Japanese are that pragmatic.

Also, I would need a screen of the map of Southern Manchuria/Transamur

Option 2. I know that many of you say that Korean - Japanese relations aren't that good however this is an alternative universe. Therefore we can assume with a resurgent Japan that they wouldn't make the mistake of provoking the Republic of Korea (which they acknowledged as the true Korea) with those minor island disputes. Furthermore, Japan drifted farther from the USA in the direction of Asia (relations, no natural thing :p) so they would intensify the relations with Korea as their prime partner (there are no other good options).
Too many butterflies to make, especially since the Korean president happens to be someone who has always advocated teaching the Japanese a lesson.

Too many butterflies to make, especially since the Korean president happens to be someone who has always advocated teaching the Japanese a lesson.

Eliminate him? :D I don't know if it is too much butterflies to make but why not, the whole AAR is not that realistic (think of the ALBA and ECON alliances, Cuban invasions and an almost defeated Israel...) so for gameplay it would fit in as enough argument to ally ;)

Tim

Okay, so I made up a scenario where Option 2 is selected, but with "small" changes.

KoreanProposal.png

Recognizing the fact that losing many lives in the invasion of China would most likely turn the public against it, the Japanese government makes a devil's pact with the Republic of Korea under the following agreements:

1. Japan gives a full-out apology for the crimes of the past (not the usual "we deeply regret what had happened in the past" BS)

2. Japan renounces all claims to Dokdo.

3. Japan shall commit its forces to eliminating the DPRK

4. Japan shall acknowledge Korean claims to Western Gando (Andong), North Gando (Liaoyuan, Jilin), and the Balhae Core (Mudanjiang). (White Line)

5. Japan shall acknowledge Korean historical claims in the lands of Balhae, and shall work with the Koreans to co-develop the region under Japanese administration. (Blue Line)

Frankly, I would say that Korea would push for borders along the Blue Line, Shenyang, Yingkou, and Dalian, but the proposal above could be possible if Japan is going to be sincere about the past and also spend a lot of blood defeating the DPRK.

This AAR is the first of its kind, and I like it. Great job so far. Now, the options you gave us...? Second for me. A great Asian alliance who would go against the Americans, after maybe convincing China to join.

I would have to vote for the alliance (2) in a way Sumeragi described it. Not everything will be handed to Japan on a silver platter. Korea will want the white/blue borderlines.

I would have to vote for the alliance (2) in a way Sumeragi described it. Not everything will be handed to Japan on a silver platter. Korea will want the white/blue borderlines.

There's also a gaming reason why I chose that particular border: Everything within white has little to no IC/minerals (unless things were added), so Japan doesn't have much to lose by giving those away.

Since much more distant lands like Philippines and Indonesia are already under direct Japanese rule, why would be Korea excepted? Do not get me wrong, I'm not in favour of ''Paint the World Yellow!'' agenda, but Japan aims for imperial restoration and this massive IC will also come in handy...

Since much more distant lands like Philippines and Indonesia are already under direct Japanese rule, why would be Korea excepted? Do not get me wrong, I'm not in favour of ''Paint the World Yellow!'' agenda, but Japan aims for imperial restoration and this massive IC will also come in handy...

The previous Empire of Japan was a failure, so why should the Revived Empire copy failure by annexing Korea? Lets ally with them and form the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere!

Besides that, I highly doubt the Philipinese and the Indonesians are happy with their oppression. We're living in the 21th century here. The time of empires is over. Now you make your empires via diplomacy. (That does sortoff contradict the title of the AAR) Which is why option 2 is the more logical and humane, don't throw away lives if you dont need to.

@Sumeragi: You should probably not expect any kind of Korean drive into Beijing, even after Japan's invasion of China begins. Want to know how many troops the ROK is able to spare to fight the Chinese? Six brigades. Six brigades of special forces. Everything else they have is bogged down trying to take out the remnants of the DPRK in the northeast. The ROKA is not going anywhere near Beijing, and my advance on China will make sure of that.

@everyone else: Regarding Korea. It looks like a pretty even split on whether to annex or ally the ROK. However, I have decided that the price of allying the Korean's seems to be way to high. Japan will not have territorial and political status be dictated to it just to gain an ally. Therefore, Japan will invade and dismantle the ROK and turn the peninsula into a new province of the Empire of Japan. Its a bit sad really, the Korean's could have been such good allies. Instead, they will pay the price for standing in the way of Japans rightful place in Asia!

Thanks for the comments!

In Europe, bad news turns into even worse news. The Federal Republic of Germany is on its knees. Russian forces have taken Munich, Kassel, Hannover, Lubeck, and many other major German cities. Russian troops have penetrated so far into Germany that their advance units have reached the Dutch border. Russian artillery and medium range ballistic missiles are also starting to fall on the major industrial cities of the Saar and the Rhineland. The German government has meanwhile been forced to flee to Hamburg, which is still located right on the front lines against the Russians. Whats worse, intelligence reports are suggesting that the NATO alliance is starting to fracture. Prominent figures in many European military's and governments are openly calling for peace talks with the Russians. These calls are not coming without public support, as war weary Europeans, shocked at how easily Russian forces seem to be devastating their armed forces, are taking to the streets in demonstrations calling for negotiations with the Russians. Anger at a lack of meaningful US assistance on the continent is also driving many to conclude that Europe should make its own path, starting with peace with the Russians.
germanycrumbling.png

The news is not only bad on the German front either. In Scandinavia, Russian forces are driving very hard down the Kjolen Range into Norway and Sweden. Umea and Narvik are already under Russian control, while Scandinavian military forces are being pounded by the Russian assaults. The way things are looking now, Scandinavia will most likely fall into Russian hands.
scandinaviafalling.png

In Africa, on the East African front, it is hard to tell who is winning or who is losing. Kenya is under a lot of pressure, having lost its capital, Nairobi, to a combined assault by Tanzanian and Ugandan troops. Ethiopia meanwhile is struggling to not only hold the lines against Eritrea but to also clear Yemeni forces out of the Ogaden region and push Sudanese forces back across the border.
eastafricanfront.png

In North Africa meanwhile, the Dutch military stages a very daring offensive. With the central Mediterranean sea relatively clear of enemy naval forces, 45,000 Dutch troops launch a large scale amphibious invasion of Tunisia. The Tunisian army, with the bulk of its troops fighting elsewhere in places like Israel and Iraq, is unable to hold its ground and retreats. Dutch forces seize control of Tunis and its outlying areas, before starting to push onwards into the rest of the country. (Dutch Afrika Korps anyone? :D )
dutchinvadetunisia.png

streamhandlerxd4.jpg

In Southeast Asia, Japanese forces continue their relentless assault on Ho Chi Minh City. Japanese troops assault the major port city of Nha Trang, hoping to clear the way towards HCMC. However, the Peoples Army of Vietnam is not willing to give up the fight just yet. When Japanese forces were on the brink of victory, massive PAVN reinforcements arrived to Nha Trang, reinforcements which were able to force Japanese troops to call off their attack. The advance has been delayed, but Japanese commanders view it as just a minor setback.
marchonsaigon.png

In Central America, US and Mexican Army forces finally begin their assault to clear the region of all ALBA presence, starting by forcing the surrender of Guatemala. Their attack comes not a moment too soon, as the Panama Canal zone is barely holding out thanks to the efforts of a single division of British troops, which are under heavy artillery and ground attacks by ALBA forces which are determined to seize the important waterway.
guatemalafalls.png

Back in Japan, Japanese industries begin work on fullfilling a massive request by the Army for very large numbers of airmobile infantry brigades, infantry that fly into combat using massive numbers of attack and transport helicopters. These new brigades will give the army a very powerful quick assault and exploitation capability, something that will be very useful in combat in regions with little infrastructure and massive distances between targets.
aircavbdes.png

In North Africa, the Dutch Afrika Korps continues its onslaught. Tunisia is forced to surrender after Dutch troops gain control of the last of its strongholds. Extremist president of Tunisia, Fayiz Tufayl, is killed by Dutch forces in a massive gunbattle in a town near the Libyan border. With Tunisia's surrender, the Dutch army continues its advance, moving into Algeria and advancing on the Libyan border. (Also note that the Libyan army appears to have taken control of Sardinia!)
dutchtunisia.png

Back in Asia, Japanese air forces continue to battle it out with the airforces of the Chinese PLAAF. This time, the Chinese bring in some of their more capable aircraft, Chengdu J-10 multirole fighters. These aircraft, along with their pilots, prove to be far better opponents than Japanese fighters have faced before, and succeed in shooting down some Japanese F-15J's, but only with heavy casualties of their own. The Japanese air force wins this battle, but it is starting to show the strain of constant combat.
f15svsj10s.png

chengduj10apl11pl82s.jpg

On the Vietnamese front, Japanese forces resume their advance on HCMC. The PAVN is throwing everything it has left into battle to hold back the Japanese advance, and even outnumbers Japanese combat forces in this engagement. However, massive losses of heavy weapons and soldiers at the hands of the earlier battles with the Japanese army have taken their toll on the PAVN's ability to keep fighting. Japanese tanks and mechanized units are able to break the enemy's lines and drive the Vietnamese back into HCMC, their last stronghold.
2ndbattleofnhatrang.png

In South America, Britain finally gets its final victory over Argentina. In conjunction with Chilean Army forces the British are able to clear out the last Argentine holdouts and force the country to surrender. Argentina is now placed under joint British/Chilean occupation while the British get to work in creating a new, friendly post-war government to run the country, one that may even join the British Commonwealth. Argentina's surrender now brings the entire Southern Cone of South America under Coalition/NATO control, removing one of ALBA's strongest members and putting southern Brazil into the cross hairs of the British Army.
argentinasurrenders.png

Last edited:
What the hell are the Dutch doing in Tunis T_T? Have they lost their mind. Although it is nice to actually see them do something in contrary to RL...
With the Russians about to run over the country... well atleast if they dont liberate Tunisia they cant be instantly annexed anymore.

Good update!

Germany is done for, probably the rest of Europe too. I'm urging you to reconsider allying Korea for this very reason. Fighting the Chinese, Russians and Koreans at the same time would be very demanding. And with Korea, you could form an Asian alliance, in which you could incorporate China, after forcing them to sue for peace. Having China on your side would not be gamey, seeing how powerful Russia is.

A few comments:

i) There is no such thing as the Royal British Army, its just the British Army because the army owes its allegiance principally to parliament instead of the monarchy.

ii) I'm guessing Libya wants to get revenge on Sardinia for colonising them...

iii) Europe is screwed, because once the Russians pentrate the German border, there is literally nothing to stop them reaching the Straits of Gibraltar. Britain could well be the last free country in Europe along with Ireland and maybe Turkey (who I notice are bebuilding their empire in the Middle East, perhaps as a future conflict you could have them help finish off the ECON in Syria, Lebanon and Palestine.....

Saving the USA from a Cuban invasion together with Canadians and Mexicans, invading and conquering Tunisia... All the other stuff that is happening. This alternative world is completely mad. I love it. :D

Europe is screwed I knew it.

And I respect your decision for Korea and I will follow your Korean incursion, though for the record, I would urge you to wait till the DRPK takes the peninsula so as to not piss off NATO just yet.

IRL this is when tactical nuclear weapons would start to be used. NATO always believed that if the Russians should ever reach the Rhine that nukes would be the only way to stop them.