• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh, it was your custom event then. It was good idea to make Kazakhstan joining Russia. Russia looks better and stronger now, and NATO is also distracted by rising Russian threat, what is good for Japanese ambitions. It's also quite plausible that Kazakhstan would join Russian Federation.

Already developing nuclear weapons? Just make sure that nobody will notice. ;)

@Zzzzz...: well I am pretty sure It will not come to that.....hopefully at least. But if it does, then Japan will be ready with its own nuclear weapons arsenal!

@Zokan: Russia's borders look nicer with Kazakhstan added to it. Plus, I figured if the Ukrainians were willing to be annexed by Russia, then the Kazakh's, who are on pretty good terms with Russia, probably would too.

@Zhuge Liang: Indeed, China and Russia are going to start getting very close to each other soon, and Japan will be more than happy to bring them both down.

@Asalto: I don't think anyone would notice. Japan is a big nuclear power player, with lots of nuclear reactors in the country. With all foreign intelligence agents in Japan neutralized, nobody will notice anything wrong with another reactor that will start going up in central Honshu.....

@everyone else: thanks for the comments!

Japan is beginning to suffer problems in the area of resource acquisition. Shortfalls are beginning to appear in areas like strategic minerals, coal, and metal production. Japan will need to look not only to its traditional allies for new sources of these strategic resources, but also to secure its own sources by seized them directly. Japan's leaders now turn their eyes further to Southeast Asia, especially towards Indonesia.....
resourceproblems.png

August, 2005. The Gulf Coast of the United States is utterly devastated by the landfall of Hurricane Katrina, bringing very high winds, devastating storm surges, and almost completely wiping the major city of New Orleans off the map. Not only is there massive physical damage, but there is also great political damage, as the Bush administration comes under heavy criticism for a lack of preparation and response to the storm.
kartina.png

katrinaa.jpg

Training of brigades of special forces commando's for the army is canceled by the government. Instead, training and production of equipment begins for brigades of elite marines for the Japanese military. These very well trained and highly equipped soldiers, backed up by attachments of attack helicopters, will be tasked with seizing coastal and island targets, and will serve very well also as light infantry for larger ground campaigns.
snlfbdes.png

The American's do not like the Iranians very much.
usirantensions.png

More air and naval bases in the Japanese Philippines finish construction and are now ready for military use.
morephilippinebases.png

In Indonesia, the resort island of Bali is rocked by a series of terrorist bombings, killing a number of people, including a Japanese tourist and wounding several Japanese nationals. Japan immediately uses the attack to not only denounce terrorism but also to claim that the Indonesian government is soft on terrorism and is not doing enough to protect people from groups like Al-Qaeda or Abu Sayyaf, a group that is also still attempting to operate in the Japanese Philippines.
balibombings.png

Meanwhile, Japan signs a major trade deal with the United States, trading large quantities of oil to the USA in exchange for massive American supplies of steel. Japan seems to now be becoming a very large oil producing country, especially as its influence grows in the pacific giving it control over things like offshore oil deposits. If Japan continues to expand oil production, the resource could become Japan's trump card in any major diplomatic spat.
usajapanoildeal.png

Meanwhile, Japan begins to lay the groundwork for its next military endeavor. Although the activities of insurgents have largely been suppressed in the Philippines thanks to a heavy Japanese military presence, insurgents belonging to the group Abu Sayyaf are continuing to operate, largely in the southern island of Mindanao. These guerrilla fighters are engaging in regular firefights with Japanese troops, something that is continuing to be a problem. Japan immediately suspects that foreign forces are supplying these militants.
122077111237204062.jpg

Japanese suspicions are later confirmed when Japanese forces intercept a ship loaded with huge quantities of arms, such as AK-47 assault rifles and rocket propelled grenade launchers, that was heading for the Mindanao coastline. Japanese investigators examine the weapons, and find that many bear markings of Indonesian arms manufacturers. Japan uses this fact to begin ratcheting up pressure on Indonesia, accusing its government of supplying terrorists and comparing Indonesia to countries like Iran, North Korea, and Syria. Indonesia of course denies all of it, stating that the Japanese claims have no merit and claiming that the weapons could have been stolen from the Indonesian army before being shipped by Abu Sayyaf to the Philippines. Tensions between Japan and Indonesia quickly begin to boil over....
indonesiapreparations.png

Japan now begins deploying military assets to the southern Philippines, sending destroyers, frigates, and ships loaded with soldiers to newly constructed bases in Mindanao. Once again, Japan begins to prepare for war.
navalandtroopmovements.png

lst4001jmsdf03.jpg

supply a huge releif package to bush for Katrina, and a promise of trade of indonesian resources in extange for US neutrality to make thing more realistic. I mean, Bush is pretty retarded after all.
=)

supply a huge releif package to bush for Katrina, and a promise of trade of indonesian resources in extange for US neutrality to make thing more realistic. I mean, Bush is pretty retarded after all.
=)

You had me on your side until the "retard" part. :mad:

There's a difference between making mistakes and being "retarded".

Uh, BIG mistake; the Abu Sayyaf are armed not with AK-series weapons, but by American-made M-14/M-16 series rifles, not to mention the occasional M-60 LMG. If you've said things like plastic explosives and RPG-7s then I'd be more inclined to believe it. I hope that this mistake is resolved.

Uh, BIG mistake; the Abu Sayyaf are armed not with AK-series weapons, but by American-made M-14/M-16 series rifles, not to mention the occasional M-60 LMG. If you've said things like plastic explosives and RPG-7s then I'd be more inclined to believe it. I hope that this mistake is resolved.

In the story, the weapons were being smuggled from Indonesia, whose army uses AK-47 series weapons, which were stolen by Abu-Sayyaf and smuggled to the philippines. Abu-Sayyaf is not a national army with a standardized loadout, but a guerrilla force that uses whatever weapons it could get its hands on. Besides, I have seen photo's of abu-sayyaf members with AK-47 assault rifles, so I will not change that line in the story. It just isn't that big of an issue to me.

It's interesting how your relations with the West are quite cold (USA is exception), relations with Asian neighbours are just terrible (no matter if those countries are democratic or authoritarian), but you have positive relations with Iran. I think that Iranian oil is important for Japan IRL, is this also a reason for positive relations in your game?

Philippines are your colony, Indonesia will follow soon, what about making new friends? You're probably waiting for coup d'etat in Thailand. Can you influence Japanese community in South America? Peru could be good choice, especially if new Fujimori comes in power (or keeping old one in power, maybe you can make that Left-Wing guerillas are still very active in Peru and autoritarian Fujimori could still be in power, enjoying American support?).

If Fujimori idea is not plausible, I got another idea. I read that Thai business is very active in Myanmar, thus meaning that Burma isn't completely Chinese playground. If militarist coup happens in Thailand and Japan proposes close cooperation to Thai regime, is it possible that Thailand tries to lobby Burma into your bloc? It would be a great blow to China if you can manage to get one of their closest allies to your side.

@Asalto: Those are pretty good ideas, but I can't really see the value of getting a Fujimori led Peru or Myanmar into an alliance with Japan. Myanmar has a decent army, but in 2008 don't they shoot dead a Japanese journalist during the pro-democracy protests? As for Peru, they would not last 10 seconds in the event of a major war, and could not really contribute much for Japan. So far, it seems that with regards to allies, it is Thailand that is the best choice at the moment, with any other new allies being those that Japan creates as puppets in some of the terrirotires it will conquer in the future. (I have two good ideas for those ones so far....)

@everyone else: thanks for the comments!

As warships and troopships arrive in the southern Philippines, units of the Japanese Air Force arrive in bases in Davao. Large numbers of F-15J's, F-2's, and F4EJ's will be devoted to the upcoming military operations.
airforcearrivesdavao.png

Meanwhile, more F-15J's complete construction and are ready for service.
moref15s.png

China launches another rocket into space, while Denmark braces itself for violence in the wake of massive controversy created by the publishing of political cartoons depicting the Islamic prophet Muhammad.
turbanfullofbombs.png

The time is fast approaching. Japanese warships move into position into the waters between the various major islands that make up Indonesia. One fleet of destroyers and frigates takes up position near the city of Jakarta as well, the major home base of the Indonesian navy.
fleetpositionsindonesia.png

Japan's government now issues its ultimatum. Japan demands that top members of the Indonesian government resign under charges of willingly supporting terrorist activities in the Philippines. Japan also demands that Indonesia allow the Japanese to set up military bases in Borneo and Sulawesi for the purposes of interdicting any possible weapons shipments that might be heading to the Philippines and to root out terrorist training camps in Indonesian territory.
japaneseultimatumtoindo.png

The Indonesian government quickly replies, denying all of Japan's allegations and vowing never to accept Japan's demands. Indonesia mobilizes its armed forces, putting the army, navy, and airforce on full combat readiness status.
indonesianrefusal.png

Japan, declaring that all other options have been exhausted, begins military operations. Japanese aircraft begin to soar southwards for Java, Sulawesi, and Borneo, as ships full of troops begin to head for various locations across the country. Japan is now at war with Indonesia.
indonesianinvasion.png

Indonesian warships sortie out of Jakarta and engage Japanese vessels in the gaspar strait. The indonesian frigates, many of them old and equipped with obsolete weapons and detection systems, become easy prey to the advanced warships of the Japanese navy. Long range anti-ship missiles pound into the Indonesian ships, sinking 3 of their frigates before the Indonesian fleet turns around and flees back into port.
indonesiannavy.png

Meanwhile, Japanese paratroopers, their aircraft flying low to avoid radar detection, drop into West Papua and take control of Kokonau air force base. Unfortunately, no Indonesian aircraft were caught on the ground, but the seizure of this base is still a major accomplishment, as it prevents its use by the Indonesians themselves.
kokonauairforcebase.png

Next, the major ground invasion of Indonesia begins. Japanese ground forces land simultaneously in West Papua, Northern Sulawesi, and eastern Borneo. Japanese forces consolidate their positions and prepare for further advances.
firstlandingsindonesia.png

pdn07072001b.jpg

And so, Japan continues her advance. I wonder when she will pursue her own space program, to rival that of China.

It is interesting that the Americans do not seem to notice or care about the Japanese Expansion. Maybe they think that If Japan expands, they might be able to serve as a counterweight to China and/or Russia

Indonesia is actually a harder opponent than the Philippines. As far as Air Power is concerned, at least you got them before they got access to Su-27's and Su-30's. the F-16A/B models are no match for your F-15J's and F-2A/B's.

Navy wise, their Navy is better than the Philippines, but it's still a bunch of Frigates and Corvettes.

Army wise: Again, Indonesia is better than the Filipinos, but they are still no match for your military.