• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will there also be something like a partisan movement? I know it is quite hard because now the foes are undead and less influenced by weather and terrain but still I can imagine that in the deep forests of Scandinavia / former USSR etc. and in mountain ranges there will be some partisans, would be interesting to hear about that as well.

Furthermore how is Switzerland holding out? If I recall correctly, they are still holding out?

Tim

I agree on both points. Would be interesting.

i need to come over to hoi 2 aar's more often o_O

Subbed

Thank You! I won't disappoint!

I agree on both points. Would be interesting.

Will there also be something like a partisan movement? I know it is quite hard because now the foes are undead and less influenced by weather and terrain but still I can imagine that in the deep forests of Scandinavia / former USSR etc. and in mountain ranges there will be some partisans, would be interesting to hear about that as well.

Furthermore how is Switzerland holding out? If I recall correctly, they are still holding out?

Tim

Yes, Partisan movements will be covered but will be harder to depict IG - I can increase the risk revolt though. As well, Switzerland (during that time) is doing pretty fine - a self quarantine has led very little outbreaks inside the mountain nation and those that do turn are swift put down. Basically, out of all mainland Europe, Switzerland is the best so far.

Loving this so far! As a fan of World War Z i'd say this is more desperate than max brook's version :) I'm curious, how did you get the aliens to be so aggressive? I tried to spawn them but they never do so well

Loving this so far! As a fan of World War Z i'd say this is more desperate than max brook's version :) I'm curious, how did you get the aliens to be so aggressive? I tried to spawn them but they never do so well

Wait, more desperate? WWZ was grim and desperate as hell! However, this is not far away, the difference is that in WWZ it was a slow boil, while this is more like flash fry.

Perhaps not more grim, but World War Z was based after the fact, when the zombie war was already won, that somewhat deflated the tension for me as to whether humanity would survive. It didn't make the journey to the end any less enjoyable but the outcome was never in doubt.

Infection to Scandinavia

NYHETER-12s10-geije_153120w.jpg

Minister of Justice Lennart Geijer, one of the members of the current Swedish Government
*In my mission to complete this report which will show the effects of the Outbreak on Humanity, it was obvious that I would have to travel up north to the Scandinavian nations - mostly Sweden. The journey to the Swedish capital was hard. Firstly, I had to board a plane to the Norwegian port city of Tromsø near the Arctic circle. Then, I had to endure a 3 day travel by car across the vast Scandinavian wilderness - the roads were not roads but nearly a path that had less snow than the rest of land. Arriving at the Swedish temporary capital of Kiruna, I was allowed into a meeting with the Swedish Minister of Justice (the Minister of Security) Lennart Geijer. There I asked him a number of questions regarding the Infection into Sweden during the early days.*

Myself: Mr. Geijer, may I be blunt. How unprepared was the Swedish government when the infection was spread into Denmark?

Geijer: Very. Back then, the Swedish army was positioned around the Danish Straits but the majority of the troops were positioned in Stockholm, the Swede-Finn border to the north and some of the soldiers were stationed across the Norwegian border; in those times, Sweden was neutral and still remains neutral today...but essentially, our troops were unprepared for what was going to happen.

Myself: And where did the first outbreaks occurred?

Geijer: Most of the outbreaks occurred in Malmo - since it was the closes drop off point for refugees from Allied-Germany while on a lesser extent, Karlskrona. Anyways, the Infection spread rapidly from there; from Malmo, it spread north to Goteborg and Junkoping and even hitting Gotland. [The Minister remained silent for a little while.] My son was in Gotland when the Outbreak reached there...I still don't know what happened to him...I still hold hope..[There is another long pause as the Minister silently reflects. I decided no to interrupt him or to rush him, only allowing him to decide when to continue.] [The Minister begins to dry his eyes.] Well, when the Outbreak occupied the whole of southern Sweden, the King and the Prime Minister, Per Albin Hasson declared a state of emergency inside Sweden and ordered the army to advance into the occupied parts of Sweden.

Myself: And it became obvious that the things the Army was fighting wasn't human.

Geijer: Yes...it became obvious when the army had reached Stockholm to quell down a revolt by the Communists; there, a group of people began to advance onto a squad led by Sergeant Adam Egner. After repeated orders to stop, Sergeant Egner gave permission to use a live round against one of the protesters. When that person was shot in the shoulder, it flinched and then continued to advance. Now the group was panicking and it is still unsure who fired the second round, but when it was fired, the group unleashed its ammunition onto the group (no more than five). Two began to limp while the remaining three were still walking towards them. the Sergeant was not sure as to what to do, so he gave the order to retreat.

Myself: And this was the only example?

Geijer: No. This was one of the few 'good' examples. In other units, the commanding officer was not able to stop the chaos in his unit. Some soldiers decided to kill themselves while other just left the unit. The...[he paused a moment to ponder] Infected Battle of Stockholm, yes, was considered the greatest defeat for the military of Sweden. When our capital fell, so did the morale of the nation. Chaos was now not only trapped inside cities but in the countryside.

Myself: But weren't there safe-havens?

Geijer: We did not know the the cold would stop/slow the creatures, so we continued to keep a defensive line in the mid-north. It wasn't until the confirmation by the Swiss that the rumours of the cold slowing the creatures became valid. Then, the Swedish government decided to return to Sweden (1) but to govern from the northern Swedish city of Kiruna. It became a wise decision but what were even better was that the government chose to create a 'No-man's land' that separated the Infected south from the Uninfected north.

Myself: How about the other nations? Norway and Finland?

Geijer: We didn't get much from the Finns - they were still aligned to the Russians but from the Norwegians, we found out the Oslo fell in the same fashion as Stockholm. The army, instead of attacking the Infected, were ordered north to Nord-Norge and to possibly link up with us, which they did.​

*The Minister glances at the clock and politely ends the interview. He has allowed me access to the journals that the Swedish government had collected.*

(1) - The majority of the Swedish Government fled to England; they later returned back to Sweden.

Swedish+Soldier+w+Mauser+WW2.JPG

A Swedish Corporal in a small town on the countryside. With chaos engulfing the cities, the countryside became home to both Infected and bands of marauders

-------

This is an excellent AAR, continue the good work!

(from a fellow competitor)

Thank you! I too, wish you the best of luck!!

Thanks for your interest! The aliens are more aggressive ITTL since I do occasionally control them - this happens whenever they do stupid moves such has having 50+ divisions in the middle of their territory.

Wait, more desperate? WWZ was grim and desperate as hell! However, this is not far away, the difference is that in WWZ it was a slow boil, while this is more like flash fry.

Perhaps not more grim, but World War Z was based after the fact, when the zombie war was already won, that somewhat deflated the tension for me as to whether humanity would survive. It didn't make the journey to the end any less enjoyable but the outcome was never in doubt.

Yeah, this AAR has a zombie outbreak just after the Second World War. I'm pleased to see such enjoyable comments on my AAR! :D

It's all nice and well in theory that the zombies are slowed by the cold, but is that actually represented in the game? Or only in the AAR? I mean will they really stay put during the winter?

Mod their units to suffer more when doing operations in snow and frozen terrain.

At least we know that the zombies have some limits now, even if we only found out after yet another nation fell.

That was an interview AFTER the fact. By the time Europe knows of this advantage, much of it would be controlled by the creatures. But, this doesn't mean that they are facing an impossible situation.

It's all nice and well in theory that the zombies are slowed by the cold, but is that actually represented in the game? Or only in the AAR? I mean will they really stay put during the winter?

My cousin came over during the weekend and was able to mod the files so now the 'aliens' would get a large disadvantage during attacks on frozen terrain and ones that are snowing. As well, there are a couple of times where I simply stop them from attacking, but other than that, thats all.

Mod their units to suffer more when doing operations in snow and frozen terrain.

Correct, that was what I did.

So the swede and norse somewhat survived thanks to the cold, the swiss are holding behind their mountains and the rest of mainland Europe is zombie meal, right?

The rest of the world is safe, until they learn to swim, or how to fly planes, whichever of these happens first.
dun dun duuuunnn :p

Led by a man named Gottfired Bernoulli von der Linth, they discovered three key facts about the infected. One: the infection is spread only through a physical contact of the infected and a fresh wound and Two: cold temperatures tend to slow down the infected - the location of Switzerland was among one of the colder one of Europe, thus allowing the survival of Switzerland.

And the third key fact?

So the swede and norse somewhat survived thanks to the cold, the swiss are holding behind their mountains and the rest of mainland Europe is zombie meal, right?

The rest of the world is safe, until they learn to swim, or how to fly planes, whichever of these happens first.
dun dun duuuunnn :p

Mostly. You'll have a survivers around Massif Central and a French regime around the Pyremmes.

And the third key fact?

My bad, I only meant for two. Thank you for pointing it out. :D

This has definitely got me hooked. I can't wait for the next instalment :)

On a side note; I've had experience with AARs but they were nothing like the ones on this site, how do you guys do it?

Total Disarray

"Shoot them in the arms, they keep on coming. Shoot them in the legs, they crawl towards you. Shoot them in the head, and they finally die. But how can you do that when there are thousands behind that one and chaos surrounds you like water?" - Unknown radio message​

bofbourgesmap.png

The Infected Siege of Bourges was the first example of an intelligence shown in the Infected
After the Great Offensive, the entirety of the French and Allied divisions in France were in a state of total disarray. The French government relocated to Bordeaux in south-western France but had little control of the army outside of the new capital. It was during the two weeks that the French government had little to no control of the armed forces, that the Infection was able to spread farther through France. The first evidence of this happening was the sequential attacks onto Orleans and Auxuerre by Infecteds. These areas fell quickly to the Infected as organized defense by the Allied/French divisions were almost none during the first 4 days of the Two Weeks. By the third day of the Two Weeks, the French lost the provinces of Le Mans, Tours and Vichy to the Infected and who subsequentially lose Chateauroux just two hours after the loss of Vichy. Top Infection Period Expert, Johann Birmingham stated that:

"...After the loss of Paris and Dijon during the Great Offensive, we began to see an intelligence develop in the minds of the Infected. It is not necessarily an individual intelligence, but more on the lines of a group intellect or cohesion....Some would compare them to a group of Lemmings and that if one ran off a cliff, the rest in the general vicinity will follow. These people are...extremely wrong for the Infected do not behave or act like Lemmings. They could be more compared to the likes of a swarm of locust...simply devouring anything alive...." - Professor Johann Birmingham of the University of Glasgow.​

HU030963.jpg

The artillery brigade assigned to Marshal Wavell during the Infected Siege of Bourges
By the fifth day, the province of Bourges was encircled with 3 divisions of FDL's trapped, commanded by Marshal Wavell, formerly a part of the British Army. The attack onto the defenders began just three hours after midnight, when the front lines of the hastily built fortifications began requesting the Marshal for artillery support. Commanding only one brigade of light artillery, Wavell decided against spacing out his guns in order to please the increasing demands. Instead, he informed the 7th British Motorised division that only their line was to receive the artillery support, the other lines were to fall back onto the city itself and would delay the Infected long enough for the area that the 7th was defending to be cleared of Infected. In itself, Marshal Wavell's plan was the best that could have been devised during those stress filled moments.

On paper, all he had to do was delay the enemy in the north long enough so that the southern portion of the defensive line [the part defended by the 7th] to be cleared of Infected, but it was only on paper. 45 minutes into the artillery barrage, the brigade's artillery munition was nearly empty, with only 27 rounds left for the guns - the Infected were still coming from the south while soldiers on the comm.'s were requesting for immediate artillery strikes on their positions. The significance of the Infected Siege of Bourges was that Marshal Wavell ordered the 7th to hold their positions while ordering the remaining two northern divisions to slowly move south and to link up with the Marshal, then the 7th and then they would attempt a breakthrough.

This new plan was slowly working. The 7th was able to hold the Infected whilst artillery strikes were used only when the concentration of the Infected was extremely great [almost 20-1 ratio] and the two northern divisions were fighting a retreat to the south. They were making great progress and then, nothing. There are no recorded survivors of the Infected Siege of Bourges. The only reason we knew of this battle was because of a diary found in the possession of a former French soldier who died in Pac [1]. Whilst it did truly happen or not, the Infected were evolving. Their former strategy of swarming a location worked, but this new tactic of attacking the flanks of a city or fortification would give them a greater advantage at the a lower cost to them. Another example of this is during the Infected Battle of Caen.

bofcaen.png

The actions of the 16eme Division d'Infantrerie would go on to be a viscous propaganda tool for the current French government
The Infected Battle of Caen was fought by French General, Graud and six divisions against 150,000 Infected in the port city of Caen. The fighting for the city was a bloody one for Giraud - who would lose the morale of his divisions in this single battle, but also create a legend for the French to exploit after its discovery. General Giraud led the 6eme Division de Gendarmeris, the 16eme Division d'Infantrerie, the 1ere Division d'Infantreie, the 1ere Div. d'Infanterie Coloniale, the 85eme Div. d'infantrerie d'Afrique and the 83eme Div. d'Infanterie d'Afrique; of the six, the legend of the 16th would become a propaganda tool for the French.

The Infected Battle of Caen began on the 7th day of the Two Weeks, attacking them from two sides, General Giraud ordered the divisions to withdraw to Cherbourg-Octeville while not giving the divisions any plans for fighting their retreat. It was during this time that the commander of the 16eme Division d'Infantrerie, Colonel Mathias Hyacinthe ordered the 16eme to cover the retreating divisions against the Infected. Having only 6,000 soldiers and around 4 tank destroyers, the Colonel was able to delay the Infected long enough for the last remainder of the divisions to escape to the outskirts of Caen. From then on, the Colonel inform General Giraud that his division will hold the Infected at Caen for as long as possible.

"After the Colonel gave a speech to the 16eme, we were basically pumped...readying and hoping that the Infected would come sooner so that we could just repel their attack. I guess in a sense, we got our wish when night came. A swarm of Infecteds just appeared and began attacking the forward fortifications, those caught inside the buildings were killed...I could still hear their screams. [a moment of pause] After the forward defense fell, our Captain, Vincent Loui ordered my group to barricade inside a building near the outskirts of the city - the only link between Caen and Cherbourg was defended by 15 soldiers against a possible 150,000. The Captain also told us to bring our radio with us, just incase the majority of the 16eme could not make it out of the city, it would become our job to survive and link up with the General in Cherbourg.

Not long after we arrived into the building, we get a comm. on the radio from the Captain telling us that the Colonel has died and our mission was to link up with the General. There wasn't much that we could do so we went back onto the jeeps [the ones that we took from the Americans] and as were began to leave, Jacques, our rifleman began firing at the treeline and not long after, we were attacked by them...[the talking stops here]"
- Corporal Jean Luc, 16eme Division d'Infantrerie
After Caen fell, General Giraud would fight his last battle against the Infected at Cherbourg - this time, the encircled divisions were unable to breakthrough or secure any transports - they simply died fighting. By the end of the Two Weeks, much of northern France was occupied by the Infected, Brittany was cut off from southern France while the French loss the provinces that bordered the Seine and were being threatened by the Infected in the French-Italian border.

mapofeuropeone.png

An approximate map detailing the spread of the Infection near the end of January, 1947

[1] - The current French capital, the author notes that any interested parties in reading the diary should not attempt to copy the methods done by the author to gain access

-------------

This has definitely got me hooked. I can't wait for the next instalment

On a side note; I've had experience with AARs but they were nothing like the ones on this site, how do you guys do

Thank you, another new reader and commenter is always welcomed! As well, I'm not sure, maybe it'd because of the friendly atmosphere in these forums that make the process of writing an AAR all the more enjoyable. That, coupled with the fact that some of the AARer's here joined very early on.

Man I have some tough competition (especially since my AAR sucks) but anyways I love this so much. Kind of expect you to keep going after this on the out(something) series. Something nice like that

[1] - The current French capital, the author notes that any interested parties in reading the diary should not attempt to copy the methods done by the author to gain access

Could you please clarify? ;)

Man I have some tough competition (especially since my AAR sucks) but anyways I love this so much. Kind of expect you to keep going after this on the out(something) series. Something nice like that

I wouldn't say that an AAR sucks, just that its a work in progress (like mine). As well, as long as my school work isn't too heavy, i'll continue with weekly updates of this and maybe a bit more during the week break I have in March.

Could you please clarify? ;)

It involves being snuck into Pac, bribing various people, breaking and entering, armed robbery and dealing with terrorist (those that are Anti-Isolationist are labeled a threat to France).

This is wonderful. What's happening elsewhere? Such as in The Soviet Union and the Middle East?

I had one in the prologue about the Soviet Union, but I'll be expanding it maybe after the next update, along with the Middle East.