• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You can diploannex nations outside your culture group just fine, just not your religious group, hence why the poster suggestions letting japan break and convert to animist.

You can diploannex nations outside your culture group just fine, just not your religious group, hence why the poster suggestions letting japan break and convert to animist.

You have to vassalize them in order to annex them, so yes, you have to be in the same culture group (and in the v5.0 patch since in v5.1 the War Score needed to vassalize Kyoto is impossible to obtain).
Believe me, I spent a few weeks trying to figure this out, I know what I'm talking about.

And also, Kyoto never would break. I (and several other people using my Save) could not get them to break, we tried several times, they would just bankrupt indefinitely.

Ah, I'm already getting angry again talking about it, I need to get past this so I can play EUIII again (it was a few months ago and I haven't played EU since, ha).

Alternate solution: get rebels to cause Kyoto to defect to one of the daimyos, which will make all the daimyos become ordinary feudal monarchies. I've seen this happen plenty of times even without player interference.

--

You can definitely diplovassalize outside of your culture group.

Alternate solution: get rebels to cause Kyoto to defect to one of the daimyos, which will make all the daimyos become ordinary feudal monarchies. I've seen this happen plenty of times even without player interference.

--

You can definitely diplovassalize outside of your culture group.

I tried that, too,as well as trying to help some of the Daiymos create unified Japan. Believe me, there is nothing I could have done, I screwed myself over by going Malay.
The problem is, since I was a different culture, my Malayan rebels could not make the nation break/switch sides...
They need to fix the Daiymo bug, when I conquered every province a million messages would fly open every hour saying the Shogunate were disbanded (when, in reality, nothing happened), a problem a few other folks were having.

But, enough of that, let's not try to come up with solutions, I spent a hard week trying to work-around the bug back then to no avail, I'm done with it, other than the funny comic I made. ;)

Last edited:
This literally just happened, kinda annoying considering I had 54 authority.
JOOKS.jpg

No, I said they CAN'T be Malayan rebels. For rebels to force your nation to change religion, they have to be of your own culture group.

I tried everything, I literally played 50hrs that week trying to get Kyoto to break.
Again, enough of this, it's a pain in my heart from a summer wasted. :/

EDIT: This is in response to a post that appears to have been deleted?!? Feel free to delete this post.

I deleted the post since you said to drop it and I decided to, but since it seems to have continued anyways: I never said anything about making them change religion. I was talking about making them defect to one of the daimyos, which causes the whole system to dissolve. As I said, it's happened plenty in my games *without any player interference*.

I deleted the post since you said to drop it and I decided to, but since it seems to have continued anyways: I never said anything about making them change religion. I was talking about making them defect to one of the daimyos, which causes the whole system to dissolve. As I said, it's happened plenty in my games *without any player interference*.

Well, I waited until 1820 multiple times (I literally tried everything) to see if that would happen, or if one of the Daiymos would unify Japan, and it never occurred.

If it was to be a user-created defect, in that case the rebels would also have to be of Japanese culture... :/

But yeah, let's drop this, it makes me cry, ha.

Re-Up due to error and "certain parts" edited:

This was a big disapointment i was really excited when i saw that this rage page had been added on to today then it was the same thing and i was all sad

Less talking, more raaaaging!

That tooltip never says what will really happen. Quite annoying.

Well, I waited until 1820 multiple times (I literally tried everything) to see if that would happen, or if one of the Daiymos would unify Japan, and it never occurred.

If it was to be a user-created defect, in that case the rebels would also have to be of Japanese culture... :/

But yeah, let's drop this, it makes me cry, ha.
Bit of a bump, but if you still want to get the achievement I figured out how to do it:

Wait until Japan is at peace and then drop Peasants on them (Support Revolt). When their capital is occupied, wait until the last day of the month and create patriots. They'll defect to one of the daimyos, the system will break, and you'll be able to annex them.

Hope it's still possible for you to get the achievement since you said you played on 5.0.

Bit of a bump, but if you still want to get the achievement I figured out how to do it:

Wait until Japan is at peace and then drop Peasants on them (Support Revolt). When their capital is occupied, wait until the last day of the month and create patriots. They'll defect to one of the daimyos, the system will break, and you'll be able to annex them.

Hope it's still possible for you to get the achievement since you said you played on 5.0.

You can get achievements currently on 5.0 and 5.1, thankfully.

I will try this soon, thanks (sorry if this is slightly off-topic, let the "RAAGING" continue).

EDIT: Doesn't work, the Patriots fight the Peasants, than one day later Kyoto is back to normal with the Patriots now as troops for Kyoto. Will try in 5.1...

Last edited:
You can get achievements currently on 5.0 and 5.1, thankfully.

I will try this soon, thanks (sorry if this is slightly off-topic, let the "RAAGING" continue).

EDIT: Doesn't work, the Patriots fight the Peasants, than one day later Kyoto is back to normal with the Patriots now as troops for Kyoto. Will try in 5.1...

Then get rid of the peasants?

I just did it a couple of days ago, and it worked fine for me the first time. What I did specifically was occupy Tokyo, wait for someone to start sieging it back so the sponsored rebels don't walk off, sponsored lots of patriots, and waited three years (signed peace in the meanwhile).

If you've already reduced all of them to OPMs, you probably don't even need to take steps to prevent the patriots form walking away; just occupy Tokyo, sponsor lots of patriots, then sign peace.