Closed Thread
Page 67 of 110 FirstFirst ... 17 42 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 92 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 2181

Thread: Glory for Ulm: A Flagland AAR

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne

Svip, this AAR is the most brilliant thing I've ever read. All categories. But because I'm a Swede, and you are a Dane, I can't give you a cookie. But I can give you this: I hereby award Svip the first ever Swedish Meatball of Volvo and Björn Borg. Feel honored, or something. Actually I think I'm the one that is honored in this case.
    If you write anything criticizing editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written. -Muphry's law

Recipients of the Swedish Meatball of Volvo and Björn Borg:

Svip

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneMajesty II Collection
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSword of the StarsMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Johhog View Post
    Svip, this AAR is the most brilliant thing I've ever read. All categories. But because I'm a Swede, and you are a Dane, I can't give you a cookie. But I can give you this: I hereby award Svip the first ever Swedish Meatball of Volvo and Björn Borg. Feel honored, or something. Actually I think I'm the one that is honored in this case.
    Epic award.

Congrats Svip on your 4th spherical award!
    All hail Richard XI, King of the Mod, Grand Duke of Simcity 4, and Tsar of All the Awesomes - The_Shepherd

Quote Originally Posted by Johhog View Post
    Volvo and Björn Borg?!?!

If only i knew what Björn Borg was i'd be more excited...
    I like cookies... And ruling the world... Mostly cookies...

Receivers of " The Cyan Blue Cookie of Awesomeness"
    Svip
    Rensslaer

Quote Originally Posted by poloport View Post
    :If only i knew what Björn Borg was i'd be more excited...
    Famous tennis player and underwear brand.
    --- [SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION] ---

Neukönigsberg
    MineCraft

--- [Saintis Construction Corps Limited.] ---
    --- [Currently constructing this signature] ---

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Saintis View Post
    Famous tennis player and underwear brand.
    More like clothes brand. I have a T-shirt, that is most certainly not underwear
    "'Religious faith. Belief in daemons, belief in spirits, belief in an afterlife and all the other trappings of a preternatural existence, simply existed to make us all more comfortable and content in the face of a measureless cosmos. They were sops, bolsters for the soul, crutches for the intellect, prayers and lucky charms to help us through the darkness. But we have witnessed the cosmos now, my friends. We have passed amongst it. We have learned and understood the fabric of reality. We have seen the stars from behind, and found they have no clockwork mechanisms, no golden chariots carrying them abroad. We have realized there is no need for god, or any gods, and by extension no use any longer for daemons or devils or spirits."

- Primary Iterator Kyril Sindermann

Leading the Mombotian Horde Lurken's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2

At the Temple of Mombot, nailing up 103 boards
    I could give Svip a mark that entitles him to have free beer from me. But he has enough such stuff.
    "Godfather of the Superpower games" according to people
    Bought a big case of beer to Pdox
    Proud owner of 3 mouldy Phoenix cookies ●●●
    Pathetic and Brave King of Poland in Battlefront IV - Lords of War
    Shifty Leader of <random/> nation in Diplomacy Universalis 1.5

Rythin, the mad warmongerer and Lurken, the semi-peaceful builder in
    "Lurken and Rythin in the land of sand - The wacky Mzab adventures." - it's aaalive....Well...not really. It is quite dead. Undead?
    Minister of Information and Groupies for OT-President rafiki

The plight and return of B'mo'otm - an AAR, like I've never done before - Redux

Quote Originally Posted by poloport View Post
    Volvo and Björn Borg?!?!

If only i knew what Björn Borg was i'd be more excited...
    You don't know Björn Borg? Blasphemy!
    Let's just hope Svip acknowledges my award. After all it is 353 years since we took Scania, so they should've lost their cores by now...
    Telesien: That depends on where you wear your T-Shirt!
    If you write anything criticizing editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written. -Muphry's law

Svip

For The Glory

Quote Originally Posted by Lurken View Post
    I could give Svip a mark that entitles him to have free beer from me. But he has enough such stuff.
    Don't worry, I don't drink! So it would be cheap for you, regardless.
    AARs of Sir Svip OLIR:
    Glory for Ulm A Flagland AAR (Europa Universalis IV) (ongoing)
    Winner of: ACA 2014 Q2: EUIV, ACA 2014 Q1: EUIV (Split), AARtist of the Month (May 2014), Seal of Mythic Approval and having the same title as another popular AAR.
    Ulm plays Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods as Someone (finished), Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness as Austria (finished) and March of the Eagles as Russia (finished)
    Winner of: Hats.
    Glory for Ulm A Flagland AAR (Europa Universalis III) (ended)
    Winner of: Europa Univeralis: The Musical, Cities in Motion DLC: Ulm, AARtist of the Month (June 2011), (Royal Dutch Cheese of Anti-Frognessship), (Swedish Meatball of Volvo and Björn Borg), (Cyan Blue Cookie of Awesomeness), (Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomeness), ACA 2010 Q4: EU Comedy, (Paradox Cookie), WritAAR of the Week (2011-01-30), "Best everything, ever" award, (Irish Shamrock Cookie) and being in this signature.
    Full list at my Inkwell

Quote Originally Posted by Svip View Post
    Don't worry, I don't drink! So it would be cheap for you, regardless.
    What happened with the Tuborgs?

Svip

Emperor Demi Moderator Marconius's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDungeonland
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    Magicka: Wizard Wars Starter WizardWarlock 2: The Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Malurous View Post
    Alright, time for another Ulm tribute! Marconius suggested finding an anthem for Ulm, and I got the idea to go one step further: I decided to try my hand at composing an 18th century style national anthem with lyrics mixing national anthem-ish stuff, Ulm fanboyism, forum lingo and bad jokes.

I'm in the unfortunate position of not having a proper choir at my disposal (shocking I know, woe is me!) so a karaoke video will have to do. Just imagine that there's like a hundred people singing.

My apologies for the video being far from perfect - I couldn't find a decent free karaoke creator, so I had to use a crappy one. I know that the text is a bit too small and that the lines aren't always perfectly aligned, but it should at least be clear enough to understand.

If someone doesn't feel like listening to all the verses, the lyrics are also available in the Youtube description.
    I really liked the music in this, it seemed to fit the era and culture group nicely (though it could have been slightly more German ). The lyrics I didn't find that entertaining, perhaps it could have been a little more serious and less anachronistic, but that's just my personal taste, really.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Sather View Post
    The only way for that anthem to be more epic is, if you had made it in german.
    But that's just nit-picking. Awesome.
    Thanks! Let's just say that I already find making lyrics in English considerably more difficult than in Finnish (especially as I like to make everything rhyme), so doing it in what I'd consider my fourth language probably wouldn't have produced great results. But if someone wants to make German lyrics, then my music is certainly at your disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Marconius View Post
    I really liked the music in this, it seemed to fit the era and culture group nicely (though it could have been slightly more German ).
    Correct culture group, wrong culture? Was I being too Austrian? Wouldn't surprise me as that's what I mainly modeled this after. But thanks, hitting the era and culture group right is good enough for me.

The lyrics I didn't find that entertaining, perhaps it could have been a little more serious and less anachronistic, but that's just my personal taste, really.
    Yeah, bad jokes aren't for everyone. More seriously, I did play around with the idea of writing more of a "real" national anthem as far as the lyrics go, but that's a bit tricky to do for a nation that for all intents and purposes doesn't exist outside this forum. Because really, if this thread is all the source material you've got as far as making the text unique goes, and you leave out any silly stuff, what do you have left that's of any substance? The result would probably have been the most clichéd national anthem text you've ever seen, because to get any distinguishable features there I would have had to make them up, and where's the sense in that?

Also, thanks tuore for the compliment.
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Majesty II CollectionSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Most National anthems are a mountain of cliches anyway, so why care? ;-)

First Lieutenant
    Europa Universalis 3

Guys, guys, guys!
    I acknowledge the awesomness that is Ulm and its national anthem (seriously epic), but ...guys. This thread becomes MADNESS. MADNESS, ya hear me?

bring the game home!
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheJumper View Post
    Guys, guys, guys!
    I acknowledge the awesomness that is Ulm and its national anthem (seriously epic), but ...guys. This thread becomes MADNESS. MADNESS, ya hear me?
    I imagine the little Ulm guy saying: "Minions, take care of that heretic, JacttheJumper."

And it makes me sad for your fate... .

-Pat
    It always takes a New Yorker to bring some sense into the discussion. -christianx
    I'm not a professional cynic; I do this out of the goodness of my heart
    Spreading Evil: Pat Crowe's Autobiography
    /me gives Pat a gold star. -MrT
    Fan of the Week, 22 Oct 2006

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club

I'll join the award group, and I'll award you the Honorary Ulmer Flag of Epicness in ASCII form (so you can put it in your sig).

████
    ████
    1914-1964 - the Ultimate Strategy Game

71 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyDeus VultVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by tuore View Post
    I'll join the award group, and I'll award you the Honorary Ulmer Flag of Epicness in ASCII form (so you can put it in your sig).

████
    ████
    Alas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Signature Rules
    • Your signature should not include ascii made images.
    Sages such as Yao and Shun and Tyrants such as Chieh and Chou come but once a thousand generations. Mediocrities follow on the heels of each other; the rulers of the world are invariably among them. -- Han Fei Tzu
    When the lips are gone, the teeth are cold. -- Han Fei Tzu
    I have not been tested (with the responsibility of high office), so I have learned many (lesser) skills. -- Confucius
    Simplified characters are an abomination. -- Me

The cost of Steam:
    PI games not bought because of Steam: 20
    PDS games not bought because of Steam: 1

PDS games bought despite Steam: 1

We demand more Ulm!
    Plushie - The obvious, necessary progression of things is knowledge available only to God and Johan, and I'm not so sure about the former.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Weijun View Post
    Alas!
    Oh damn. Well, how about this?
    1914-1964 - the Ultimate Strategy Game

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Tucked away safely in your darkest nightmares
    Blog Entries
    The only way to make that awesome anthem better was to turn it around and make it with the USSR anthem's lyrics.

Bravo sir.
    My AARs:
    Baghdad in the Sky with Diamonds (last updated 27/08/13)
    So Long Mom, I'm Off to Drop the Bomb - A Fallout 2 AAR (last updated 08/06/14)

Closed Thread
Page 67 of 110 FirstFirst ... 17 42 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 92 ... LastLast