• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah no montenegro again. And he just ouled his double sabers :(
I think he'll now go and play with Ottomans.

This could be very confusing in the next war you and Ferrara is in together. :D

And don't forget Siena. The anti-Ulm...

EDIT: By the way. Just read through it all. I planned to only read a few pages, it's your fault if I'm going asleep tomorrow at school. ;)

Read it all, very awesome!

Too awesome to comment. :rofl:

What?
Now this makes even less sense.

Let's see if I can put a bit more sense into it. :)

Short version: The dukes of Ferrara, Modena and Reggio never used the black-and-white as their flag nor their crest. Neither did the rules of Ulm, really.

Long version:

When Obizzo II d'Este became the marquis of Ferrara (1264), Modena (1288) and Reggio (1289), he of course used his family's crest for the whole state: in blue field, a silver eagle with golden crown, beak, tongue and talons. What's more important though, is the fact that before his oldest son killed him, he managed to establish a dynasty which would rule the area until the end of its independence.

This crest didn't change much until Charles VII of France allowed Niccolò III d'Este to add the French golden fleur-de-lis on blue to their crest in 1431. Why he did so I couldn't find out. In any case, from that day on the crest changed to: parted quarterly, in 1. and 4. quarter in blue field, a silver eagle with golden crown, beak, tongue and talons, in 2. and 3. on blue field three golden fleur-de-lis, with a golden and red intended border (sometimes without the golden crown on the eagles).

On 1452-05-18, his son Borso d'Este was raised to a duke of Modena and Reggio by emperor Frederick III, and added the imperial eagle to his crest, putting the crest of his family in front (in a so-called "inescutcheon") of both the French and the Imperial parts. This made the crest to be: parted quarterly, in 1. and 4. quarter on gold, a black double-headed eagle with golden crown and red beak and talons, in 2. and 3. on blue field three golden fleur-de-lis, with a golden and red intended border, with an inescutcheon with in blue field, a silver eagle with golden crown, beak, tongue and talons. Later on, namely shortly before his death on 1471-04-12, he was also named duke of Ferrara by the pope, and added a variation of the Papal crest to his own, on top of it: ... on red, two crossed keys in silver and gold, bound by a blue cord (the rest is the same as above).

His half-brother Ercole I d'Este followed him on the throne in late 1471. He wasn't such a big fan of the pope, and put the Papal part of the crest "squished" in-between one French and one Imperial parts on each side, and his family's crest on top of it. I assume the Pope wasn't amused.

Now, his grandson (also the grandson of Pope Alexander VI and thus partially a Borgia ...) Ercole II d'Este had a much better standing with the pope, allying with him against France in 1556 even. Somewhere during his reign, between 1534 and 1559, he was allowed to add the triregnum (three crones, one on top of each other) in silver to the Papal part of his crest. Unfortunately for his family, he was the second-to-last of his line, as his son Alfonso II d'Este had no heir when he died on 1597-10-27. The duchy of Ferrara went back to the Papal State, while the duchy of Modena and Reggio continued to be ruled by a cadet branch.

As for Ulm? At game start, they used the imperial eagle with the black-and-white shields below (and sometimes in) his talons. Later on the shield moved to the front of the eagle, as an inescutcheon.

The cities of both Ulm and Ferrara used the same black-and-white crest, but we aren't ruling the cities in this game. :D

Let's see if I can put a bit more sense into it. :)

Short version: The dukes of Ferrara, Modena and Reggio never used the black-and-white as their flag nor their crest. Neither did the rules of Ulm, really.

Long version:

When Obizzo II d'Este became the marquis of Ferrara (1264), Modena (1288) and Reggio (1289), he of course used his family's crest for the whole state: in blue field, a silver eagle with golden crown, beak, tongue and talons. What's more important though, is the fact that before his oldest son killed him, he managed to establish a dynasty which would rule the area until the end of its independence.

This crest didn't change much until Charles VII of France allowed Niccolò III d'Este to add the French golden fleur-de-lis on blue to their crest in 1431. Why he did so I couldn't find out. In any case, from that day on the crest changed to: parted quarterly, in 1. and 4. quarter in blue field, a silver eagle with golden crown, beak, tongue and talons, in 2. and 3. on blue field three golden fleur-de-lis, with a golden and red intended border (sometimes without the golden crown on the eagles).

On 1452-05-18, his son Borso d'Este was raised to a duke of Modena and Reggio by emperor Frederick III, and added the imperial eagle to his crest, putting the crest of his family in front (in a so-called "inescutcheon") of both the French and the Imperial parts. This made the crest to be: parted quarterly, in 1. and 4. quarter on gold, a black double-headed eagle with golden crown and red beak and talons, in 2. and 3. on blue field three golden fleur-de-lis, with a golden and red intended border, with an inescutcheon with in blue field, a silver eagle with golden crown, beak, tongue and talons. Later on, namely shortly before his death on 1471-04-12, he was also named duke of Ferrara by the pope, and added a variation of the Papal crest to his own, on top of it: ... on red, two crossed keys in silver and gold, bound by a blue cord (the rest is the same as above).

His half-brother Ercole I d'Este followed him on the throne in late 1471. He wasn't such a big fan of the pope, and put the Papal part of the crest "squished" in-between one French and one Imperial parts on each side, and his family's crest on top of it. I assume the Pope wasn't amused.

Now, his grandson (also the grandson of Pope Alexander VI and thus partially a Borgia ...) Ercole II d'Este had a much better standing with the pope, allying with him against France in 1556 even. Somewhere during his reign, between 1534 and 1559, he was allowed to add the triregnum (three crones, one on top of each other) in silver to the Papal part of his crest. Unfortunately for his family, he was the second-to-last of his line, as his son Alfonso II d'Este had no heir when he died on 1597-10-27. The duchy of Ferrara went back to the Papal State, while the duchy of Modena and Reggio continued to be ruled by a cadet branch.

As for Ulm? At game start, they used the imperial eagle with the black-and-white shields below (and sometimes in) his talons. Later on the shield moved to the front of the eagle, as an inescutcheon.

The cities of both Ulm and Ferrara used the same black-and-white crest, but we aren't ruling the cities in this game. :D

Some of these ought to be annihilated; http://www.4crests.com/italian-family-crests.html

As an imperial free city, I thought he played as the city of Ulm since no single ruler can live 500 years.

422px-Ulm-Muenster-RatsFensterWappen.jpg

How many barrels of vodka Pdox devs took when they thought it was historical to make a ruler rule for 500years? oO

When EU3 came out, it didn't have a historical rulers setting. People complained because they couldn't play their favorite era with their favorite country and conquer the world with their favorite generals and kings living the historical years. Paradox put it in with NA or IN. However, when a country existed in the game during a time when it didn't in RL, it simply kept the last defined ruler in the game's files. For example, if you played Granada and survived past 1492, you would have the same ruler from 1492 until the end of the game - there were simply no more historical rulers to go to since the country didn't exist at that point in history.

People once again complained that the game didn't give them random rulers for periods where their nation didn't exist in history, Paradox got fed up with people complaining about the feature and took it out in HTTT and DW.

When EU3 came out, it didn't have a historical rulers setting. People complained because they couldn't play their favorite era with their favorite country and conquer the world with their favorite generals and kings living the historical years. Paradox put it in with NA or IN. However, when a country existed in the game during a time when it didn't in RL, it simply kept the last defined ruler in the game's files. For example, if you played Granada and survived past 1492, you would have the same ruler from 1492 until the end of the game - there were simply no more historical rulers to go to since the country didn't exist at that point in history.

People once again complained that the game didn't give them random rulers for periods where their nation didn't exist in history, Paradox got fed up with people complaining about the feature and took it out in HTTT and DW.

[OLD MAN RANT]
Bah! You whippersnappers! In my days, we were danganit pleased with the historical leaders we got in single player! We learnt how to get around those issues, like playing nations where the last ruler was a 9-9-9 statted wonderchild!

Or we installed mods that took care of the problem! We EU2 never whined to Pdox about that problem, since we didn't see it as a problem! [/OLD MAN RANT]

Status
Not open for further replies.