• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to disappoint, but there won't be an update tonight, and due to my schedule tomorrow, it will be a late update tomorrow, but who knows, maybe more than one? I am simply too tired coming home at 2:30 in the morning and my humour will probably be anything but fun. And my drawing skills even less enjoyable.

However, while I am still can attain some feel of being awake, I would like to take some time to describe how and why I can make so many updates, when I actually have the time!

Prior to a play session, there may be some initial planing, such as how to take on Venice or another new goal. Then the actual playing begins.

Which is just like a regular playthrough. I will admit I do not necessarily pursue specific goals and may make them as I go along. Remember, I want Ulm to be powerful in whatever way possible. Throughout this session, screenshots are taken at every interesting event as well as some European maps now and then for the sake of me remembering what happened.

But you probably already guessed this. Writing the actual comics is a different matter. I first spend time actually writing them. Though, in fairness, I may make last minute changes as I actually draw the comics - something I do often - so the script often doesn't fit. Then onward the actual comic, which of course is also in turns.

First drawing the comic. Or rather, the comic without text and flags. Then the text, then the flags.

I realise the whole process may not be interesting, by a single update can take about 1-2 hours depending on amount of flags, length of comic and inclusion of screenshots.

In direct comparison to many other successful and well written and 'produced' AARs, my AAR is very simple and its art can be easy. The lesser time is spend does not lessen the end quality in my opinion. People can spend lots of time on in essence boring and/or generally bad things.

No criticism of the people who spend a lot of time on their AARs, I have the uttermost respect for them. I am actually just trying to convince myself that time spend is not a quality requirement.

Just read through this, SO awesome!

Svip: Take your time, don't rush things, we'll wait for something this great! (Just remember, sometimes sleep-deprived/drunken/fever-adled ideas are the best so write them down before bed :))

Dude, what? We've been reading you and getting entertainment from you for days for free.
YOU OWE US A POST EVERYDAY!!1

Just for the record, I want to go further on a limp about my actual goals in this AAR: I generally do not have any specific ones, except 'glory for Ulm', really. Some argue that uniting the HRE or forming Germany as Ulm would be pretty cool. And while I can hardly refute its coolness, it still irks me.

I don't want the zoomed out map to read 'Germany' or 'Holy Roman Empire' all over, I want it read 'Ulm'. This is partly my problem with forming Scandinavia while playing Denmark. I don't want to be Scandinavia, I want Danish superiority! Scandinavia is too much an accept of all the others whom were conquered! While I cannot say for certain what I will do with the HRE - despite making the point that I intended to become emperor in one of the first chapters - I sincerely doubt I will form anything.

Then it won't be Ulmer Europe, but something else...

I realise the benefits, but hey - people - sometimes we choose aesthetics over actual benefits, especially if it is a video game.

Gela hit the nail on the head there. You can choose to stop there with the reforms, then vassalise the rest of Europe.

Perhaps, but that requires two things: A. that I change my form of government to be electable as emperor - a Republic cannot and B. better relations with the electors and later the member states.

Regarding A, it is not that big a deal, though I have advantages as an administrative republic, the big trade eff bonus is very valuable to me still. Though, eventually it can't really pay off. And being able to re-elect my leaders is pretty neat too.

B is where it gets complicated. Yes, I could just start bribing all of Europe, because I have the money, but I do not consider that to be widely amusing. I actually prefer the simple overtaking of states and vassallising them that way. In true fairness, it is actually going along a lot faster than expected.

I may cave at some point, but for now, I may be able to avoid vassallising Europe through reforms.

Won't your vassals automatically say 'yes' to whatever reform you propose?

My vassals, yes, but if I have vassallised all of the HRE, what is then the point of the reform? Catch-22 much? No wait, the other thing.

An Ulm colonial Empire?

That would entail......a radical change to say the least.

One other thing though, Liberate Ferrera! Then cancel vassalage and annex them all over again. The thieving bastards.

I don't want the zoomed out map to read 'Germany' or 'Holy Roman Empire' all over, I want it read 'Ulm'.

I can certainly appreciate this.

Oh Ulm...

part23.png

Last edited:
I hate to disappoint, but there won't be an update tonight, and due to my schedule tomorrow, it will be a late update tomorrow, but who knows, maybe more than one? I am simply too tired coming home at 2:30 in the morning and my humour will probably be anything but fun. And my drawing skills even less enjoyable.

However, while I am still can attain some feel of being awake, I would like to take some time to describe how and why I can make so many updates, when I actually have the time!

Prior to a play session, there may be some initial planing, such as how to take on Venice or another new goal. Then the actual playing begins.

Which is just like a regular playthrough. I will admit I do not necessarily pursue specific goals and may make them as I go along. Remember, I want Ulm to be powerful in whatever way possible. Throughout this session, screenshots are taken at every interesting event as well as some European maps now and then for the sake of me remembering what happened.

But you probably already guessed this. Writing the actual comics is a different matter. I first spend time actually writing them. Though, in fairness, I may make last minute changes as I actually draw the comics - something I do often - so the script often doesn't fit. Then onward the actual comic, which of course is also in turns.

First drawing the comic. Or rather, the comic without text and flags. Then the text, then the flags.

I realise the whole process may not be interesting, by a single update can take about 1-2 hours depending on amount of flags, length of comic and inclusion of screenshots.

In direct comparison to many other successful and well written and 'produced' AARs, my AAR is very simple and its art can be easy. The lesser time is spend does not lessen the end quality in my opinion. People can spend lots of time on in essence boring and/or generally bad things.

No criticism of the people who spend a lot of time on their AARs, I have the uttermost respect for them. I am actually just trying to convince myself that time spend is not a quality requirement.
Don't worry, making an AAR takes time, as I found out in my Ming AAR. It's a quite simple and straighforward AAR and even then it takes time to write something coherent, edit screenshots, checking savegames, etcetera. But your AAR is certainly worth the time invested, as it so entertaining to so many people.

I am liking this AAR and your strategy. You have a lot of vassals but, with the possible exception of the Byzantines, none of them are powerful enough to oppose you directly. The only way they would even stand a chance is if you faced a few of them at once. Also, I have a question. Why did you liberate the Byzantines instead of taking the land for yourself seeing as it had no penalties?

Status
Not open for further replies.