• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you for this information. I actually met no more than that during my attack [and my opponent did send someone else than Charles de Lorraine]

Who?? There are only Zweibrucken and that 2-0-0 HRE guy left that would be eligible IIRC

My mistake in the description. I always assumed that the "Landwehr" were all the militias and hussars, while the "Frei Battalione" are the 4 Light Infantry Brigades I receive. Am I right ? In any case, I tend to use the 4 Light Infantry in ambush position in the forest as long as the Swedes are a threat, then use them as skirmisher in the Hessen Forest. Is it those you mix with your heavies ?

Yes. They along with Jagers (and grenzers for austria) are the only units that use the light inf. replacement chit so they are useful in a place where they can soak damage.

Part XVI – Late April – The first battle of Prag

European capitals await with impatience the first news of the attack on Prag. When the result arrived, no one knew how to react.

Grossebataille.jpg

This battle is very much a new Lützen. On the paper, even though Austria kept the ground, I won the battle : 7 000 dead against 14 000 for the Austrians, 17 elements lost against 27. Everyone in Prussia rejoice, while Austria is in sorrow : Prussia won 10 National Morale Point, Austria lost that much.
But this battle is actually a significant Prussian defeat : Austria protected Prag at a more modest cost than one would believe.

First, a point on the battle box :
The screen gives a lot of information on the battle. The nine little squares at the bottom of the box gives the most important information. From left to right, first row then second rows, they express :
- Percentage of unit supplied
- Percentage of surprise (not very important in RoP or RuS, VERY important in Birth of America)
- Trench effectiveness, up to a maximum of 200% (important in RoP, but less than in BoA (maximum : 300%) or RUS (maximum : 400%)
- Number of prisoners (in hundreds)
- Numbers of War Supply (the ressources) captured
- Percentage of units with ammunition
- Percentage of city which were in a structure during the battle (i.e. most probably they did not fight at all in this battle since it took place outside the structure
- Percentage of units which have done a force march during a battle (hint : NEVER force march to a battle)
- Number of elements which routed during battle.

The column of small icons above this shows give additional information on the battle. On the left (for Prussia) or right (for Austria) part, it gives the “leader” bonus that applied. Lots of bonus for both sides, I won’t get into it.

Then, you have additional information on the battle, from left to right (for Prussia) :
- the “overall” posture of my army (offense for my army, defense for the Austrian),
- how much luck I had (blue icon = more luck than the Austrian ; in fact I had 51 of luck vs 50. The impact, even with a larger gap, is very small)
- the third icons is there to remind that my units crossed a river into battle. That’s a huge malus for me, which probably cost me the battle
- the fourth one is in orange, which means less units than my opponent had favorable ground. In fact, 0 of my elements had favorable grounds, while 323 of his add (I suppose all his elements)
- The number of failed morale checks (=elements routed in most case)
- The initial range at which I opened fire. Not a huge impact in RoP, as the ranges are pretty comparable, but if you are playing RUS that is the FIRST thing you should have a look at, as the impact is huge.
- How many attempt to retreat I made. I made one, which obviously succeeded. If you see more than one when you put the cursor on this icon, it means you failed a retreat and probably suffered at lot.
Then, above the icons, there are 4 areas with rectangles. The topmost ones shows which generals were there, and who died among them (only one Austrian general died : Emmerich Morocz, a fairly good general for Austria with 5-2-1 stat), then it is the forces present at the battle (but not necessarily committed), then the losses (range and assaults). The little hearts represent the “hits”, i.e. the wounds inflicted. I received 460 during the battle and inflicted 842. I received 72 additional hits during the retreat, so overall it is 532 vs 842. OK, but not outstanding for a Prussia vs Austrian battle.

What makes this battle a defeat is the combination of the lost elements. I lost 11 Heavy Cuirassiers elements - those are VERY precious, 5 Grenadiers (elite infantry) and one regular infantry. The Austrian players lost 10 hussars (light cavalry), which really are not worth much to him (he has more Cossacks and Croats than he can feed) and count for 0 in my book, 8 dragoons (a little less good than my Cuirassiers), 5 line infantries, 2 Grenadiers, and 2 Horse Grenadiers (those are precious). So if I don’t count the light cav, that 17 elements destroyed versus 17 elements destroyed. At least I lost none during the retreat.

You can have a detailed report, which tells you, by unit and hour by hour, who did what. Here is an extract, I won’t get into it, though, as it would take an awful lot of time. As the player with the Master File (the one who process the turns), I see what happens during battles "in real times" : i have message about who retreats, who gets commited, who resist against all odds, etc etc. But my opponent will have to read this detailled report carefully to understand why, for instance, a superior force is routed : maybe a column did not commit, maybe part of his army was slowed down by some insane local resistance, ...

Exemple.jpg

In any case, another direct assault on Prag won’t work, and my troops are tired. I need a new plan. I decide to order my troops to prepare to cross South of Prag, and then come back North to attack again without having to cross the river under fire. I should have done that immediately, but… oh well.

Replacementstrat.jpg

Note that there was a small skirmish of my cavalry, led by Von Zieten, against some Austrian scouts (the horsemen North of my armies now). I don’t show it since there were less than 100 fatalities in total (20 for me vs 80 for them).

I update my strategy in other areas. In the Troppau – Olmutz axis, I order my troops to cross the Marck river South of Olmutz, while the cavalry under Katte stays in reserve on the Eastern side of the Marck. This is beautifully rendered next picture :

Troppau-1.jpg

The plan is either to march on Olmutz from the South – but I am not too confident on this due to Daun still being there - or to cross Bohemia by surprise and reinforce Frederick’s army.

On the French front, I have some news. The English send me one of their top generals to assist with the command of my troops : the Duke of Cumberland.

Cumberland.jpg

He is immediately made Commander-in-Chief of the Western front. The plan against the Swedes carries on being implemented, with first an attack on the HRE city of Hamburg by Hanover.

FrontEst-1.jpg

The Brunschwig-Prussian troops committed to the North move slowly due to the heavy siege guns they carry, so I decide to move the siege guns by Bateaux (hard to see green arrow). I don’t have enough Bateaux to carry everyone, so the soldiers will go on foot.

Finally, I decide to give to the rather unefficient Wilhem von Prussen the command of the Home front. As he has less seniority than other generals (especially James Keith in Bohemia), some generals grow disgruntled at my decision. The effect is that I lose some victory points and national morale due to that. I stood to my decision; it looked like a good idea when I took it as I thought I needed a Commander-in-chief in Berlin but did not want to use my best general, whom I needed against the Austrians. The malus is not too bad for the Prussian, but as I said the Austrian top generals are terrible, so you may want to promote a really low seniority general as commander-in-chief, which a very significant cost. It is therefore an important decision to make for Austria : low NM but good generals, or good NM and poor generals.

HomeFront.jpg

Last edited:
as ever in my responses - first to say this is great. In this particular case really appreciate the detailed discussion of how to read a battle (I'm still at the stage of 'oh good I won/oh damn I lost').

so thats where the Butcher Cumberland ended up? ... pah for reasons of local history hope he gets stuffed by a passing Frenchman (or Jacobite unit fighting for the French), for reasons of your success, hope he lives up to your expectations ...

as ever in my responses - first to say this is great. In this particular case really appreciate the detailed discussion of how to read a battle (I'm still at the stage of 'oh good I won/oh damn I lost').

so thats where the Butcher Cumberland ended up? ... pah for reasons of local history hope he gets stuffed by a passing Frenchman (or Jacobite unit fighting for the French), for reasons of your success, hope he lives up to your expectations ...

Ohh flower of sco...

O wait, wrong side
Rot weiss ro...

Oh, Still wrong side
I meant to say... uhm... go cumberland!

Ohh flower of sco...

O wait, wrong side
Rot weiss ro...

Oh, Still wrong side
I meant to say... uhm... go cumberland!

I think that, in order not to set off our resident Scot (he's talked about having 'ceremonial' weapons in another thread before ;)), you meant to say 'Go Prussia!' :)

Narwhal, it seems that you lost on two counts: not only did you lose valuable troops, you also lost valuable time - of which you have little to spare.

Well, at least you gave the Austrians a walloping! ;)

Well, you might have noticed that the AAR is a bit slowed down lately - it was because I had to wait for my gambit in Russia to be 'resolved' before giving more information to Baris here. Now it is resolved - but I am in professional travel in a place obviously they have no (wifi) Internet yet : downtown London. A bit surprising for me as you can connect to a free Wifi in most places of Paris. I planned to use the time I had on evening doing nothing to expand on the AAR ; I will have to wait.

Loki100 : In all AGEOD games, you have a biography of the most important leaders avalaible. Cumberland has one, I ll screenshoot it to you for the next part of the AAR.The American Civil War game has one for EVERY leader, thanks to a communauty project.

LeCare : that s one of the think I like in the game : you can "lose" a battle, but you only lost a small part of your army (10 percent ? 15 percent ?) and your opponent lost that much. The conclusion is that everyone avoids battle. I have posted almost one year of game and there have been, what, 1 large battle, one medium battle, one assault and a couple skirmishes. Most of the war is about positionning.

Part XVII – Early May 1757 – An uneasy waiting

For some reason, I gave many useless orders Early May (and the whole of May actually),maybe because I played my turns too fast, maybe because I was a bit confused at what to do after my defeat in front of Prag.

In Königsberg, I decide to move my cavalry in Memel, where I expect to catch a few Russian scouts. A fairly pointless order, but at least it costs me nothing.
Konigsberg.jpg

In Hannover, Cumberland, now in command of one of the two Hannover columns, move toward Berlin. My plans were to support Frederick on the blitz against Austria. Consider that it would take more than 2 months for Cumberland to arrive where Frederick currently is, i.e. he would arrive by late july / early August, with exhausted troops.

Mouvement.jpg

Finally, I forget to say that Heinrich from Prussen, previously with Keith, had been sent to command the Prussian troops attacking Northern Germany / Sweden and arrived already.

This is a global map of the core of Prussia and the Northern / Western front. Cumberland expected move is in black – I will cancel the orders next turn. The red arrows are the attack against the North – the Brunschwicg army has already arrived and will be sieging Kiel, the Prussian are now ready and will start their march and Von Zastrow is going to attack Hamburg as was the plan.
Grandemap-1.jpg

[The SC could have been better centered, but it was not a good turn. I probably played it at 2.00 AM or something]

In the North, I am readying an ambush against potential incoming Swedish forces. My light Frei Bataliones are perfect for that, and the commander is quite good at this, too.

Ambush.jpg

But you might wonder what will be my final strategy in the South ? There I took a real decision : both my armies would join forces in the middle of Bohemia, and from there will attack either Prag or Koniggratz – the least defensed. This involved crossing both rivers and rushing through enemy lines before they react. I have good expectation on this. You might wonder why I never showed you the enemy moves ? Well, the reason is that my opponent is, for now,VERY static. It will change, though.

Strat-1.jpg

Note that my armies did not cross previous turn. The reason is that I gave them the order to move together, and due to poor weather, Wedell's siege gun slowed him AN awful lot during the crossing and he could not finish the crossing (he needed one more day).

Last edited:
Part XVIII – Late May 1757 – Suddenly… BATTLES !

Late May was expected to be a fairly calm turn, but my opponent woke from his slumber and actually reorganized his defense… thus meeting my armies that were trying to outflank him.

Voirmouvement-1.jpg

Frederick, Keith and alii encounter Joseph Lucchese in Ritschan (Battle A) while Picolomini meet von Schwerin, Wedell and Katte columns in Kramsir (Battle B).

First, let’s see Battle A, a.k.a. the Battle of Ritschan :

BattleofRitschan.jpg

While the Prussians remain the master of the ground, the battle is fairly disappointing: at 40 000 vs 14 000 and with a much better commands, the Prussian inflicts a comparable number of casualties to the Austrians (1900 vs 1300 Prussian deaths), and only deals an handful of damage in pursuit. This disappointing result is surely due to the fact :
- That Frederick and his army was crossing a river
- That Lucchese was in Defend and Retreat mode (I suppose), which is very good against an opponent who is crossing a river.

As for Battle B, a.k.a. the Battle of Kramsir, the results are significantly better :
BattleofKramsir.jpg

700 Prussian casualties vs 2 200 Austrian ones, I like that. Add to this the 93 hits inflicted during the pursuit, and you will understand why this battle was a good surprise for me. This might be due to the fact that I was NOT crossing the river anymore when the battle happened, as I had only one more day to wait before the crossing was completed, as you may remember (“started” move are kept in memory for following turns).

I have no idea why Baris did those moves, and I would like to know why, actually.

Two other good news, even though the first one was to be expected :
I won the battle of Hamburg –the Hamburgeses never had a chance.

BattleofHamburg.jpg

Lübeck decides to side with the Prussian (scripted event) giving me some garnison and a good commander, but locked with his garrison.

Lubeck.jpg

I have some puny reinforcement, Luckner Hussars, keen on doing the “petty war” against the French and Austrian,”petty” as in “raiding the roads, avoiding combat and being a thorn in Austrian side”.

Luckner.jpg

Luckner is the guy in Hannover, I won’t talk a lot about him (I don’t hassle you with minor orders), but much like Zieten you will see it in many screenshoots of this front – but never in battle.

Among the bad news, two Imperial armies seems to be gathering in Frankfort, where I assume they prepare an assault on Kassel through that small road in the forest. The forces I have in Kassel would be unable to stop them :
Neworganisation.jpg

StrategysurKassel.jpg

I decide to drop some defenses in Kassel and to regroup Wurthenau (Hessian)’s column and Cumberland column’s to attack north of the Hessian forest while waiting to see what the enemy decision is.
StrategyKassel2.jpg

I am not too worried, an attack through the forest is extremely dangerous for the Austrian as their supply line is easily cut, and retreating in the forest a nightmare.

On the Austrian Front, my troops are more exhausted than forecast (due to the battle) and we are late on the plan (5 days maybe), but the strategy is kept. Frederick is now the commander-in-chief of what were formerly von Schwerin columns. There is only one army now.
Strategy.jpg

ALL my columns are exhausted at this point (2 battles, plus one long march in enemy territory), and I expect them to be even more so next turn, which means that I won’t try anything against Prag in all likelihood.

Meanwhile, in Eastern Prussia, still no Russian. Cannot complain – the latter they come, the less time they have to attack and take Königsberg.
Pretadecrocher.jpg

Finally, in the North, I decide to order von Zastrow… to come back to help against an eventual attack in Kassel, forgetting (for one turn only) the “overwhelming forces” part of my plan. I told you I made mistakes in May. Meanwhile, Brunschwicg marches on Weismar and more Prussian troops are commited.

AttaqueKiel-1.jpg

Last edited:
Occasional mistakes make for a more interesting game, I think. :)

It feels like the game is gathering pace. For now, I'm most interested in seeing what the respective armies at Frankfurt and Prag will do. I get the impression that whichever one first achieves its objective, will gain the initiative for its side.

Yes Narwhal, it was a big critical mistake to think Daun will march to the direction when he heard there is battle ongoing in 1 region south of Olmutz. Piccolini corps had a few men defending across the river but wasnt fully formed. In the battle report only Piccolimini committed with his few men, but Daun had at least 30000 men under his command but not committed to Piccolimini's battle.
By the time Daun decide to march to the sound of guns Schwerin had already rip the defensive line and march 2 region west at the end of the turn to Prag :) He was fast.. I generally trust Daun for his defensive abilities but not his speed. :)

Last edited:
great updates and congrats on winning the ACA award ... well deserved for putting this together

agree about the dangers of speed in this game - I find the easiest trap is to fall into the idea that as you don't have a lot of bits to move you can set up a turn at speed. Have started playing with the Austrians and the sheer inactivity of key generals is rather frustrating (but brilliantly so)

as with Stuyvesant, looks like this is coming to a bit of climax in the next few turns?

Thank you, loki100. I did not even know the ACA was occuring. I especially appreciate the fact that people NOT owning RoP voted for me.
Thank you for your vote as well, since without your first ballot maybe no one would have voted for me.
Finally, congratulation to your own ACA ! An HoI 3 award is much, much harder to get.

I usually take a lots of time to ponder (I send the game and play my turn, then when I receive the turn and before pressing "next turn" I check my orders once more) but I sometimes play too quickly - especially when my girlfriend wants to play Plants vs Zombies. You will see a couple other "mistakes" in the coming turns, one of them with a much more dramatic impact
I also have to resist the urge of moving all my units, even though some armies may be very well where they are.

Actually, the game is going to accelerate a lot in the coming turns, with a Russian-front climax in the 3 turns before Winter arrives, as it should be. Baris can testify that it is going to be packed with battles and action - with some surprising results. The emails we exchanged were frantic.

Last edited:
Part XVIII – Early June – Enemy on the move

Early May 1757 really was the last moment my opponent was passive in defense. From now on, he will be confident enough in the forces he gathered to take offensive, and I will have to show you major troop movements every turn. This will make the AAR – and the game – more interesting.

From now on, I will use the following codes :

Enemy moves are in red.
Expected enemy moves are in yellow
My moves black (future moves) or purple (future moves). I mixed purple and black in the two next pics, but then it should work :)

The French armies are on the move next to my border – the only good news is that Kassel is not a target after all - or maybe it is. Hard to say.

Enemyonthemove.jpg

That’s a lot of them already. Stronger than what I have – and more will be coming. I expect them to attack Dortmund – there is no fortress there, so an assault and voilà, you have got a nice supply source handy.

In Bohemia, the Austrians also move carefully toward my forces. I suspect they are not too sure on my projects.

Enemyonthemove2.jpg

As for Northern-Western Germany, I wiped out the last Imperial force as Kiel is taken after a short combat.

FallofKiel.jpg

The march against Sweden carries on in the North, and von Zastrow comes back from his moment of absent-mindedness.

Retourfondamentaux-1.jpg

You can see the troops getting ready to siege Wesmar. I also allocated one of the very few military engineers I have (the box details them). They also to accelerate a siege a lot, and will be handy against the fortress of Stralsund.

In the French-Imperial front, I decide to concentrate my troops in Kassel - I am not perfectly confident there will not be an attack in this direction, and moreover this way I can try to attack Francfort to divert some of his forces to protect the exposed Empire.

Wurthenau and Cumberland are commited :

OffensiveFrancfort.jpg

Finally, my troops being completely exhausted in Bohemia after all those marches, and Koeniggratz still being undefended, I decide to attack the easy target. This translates in complex orders :

Sneaky-1.jpg

This translates into complex orders :

Reserveplan-1.jpg

- Frederick and his “original” columns are all moving toward Koeniggratz and will siege it in force. Their cohesion is bad, but still ok so they can fight if needed.
- Wedell and von Schwerin (close to 0 cohesion) move on Chlumetz, North of the Elbe and West of Koeniggratz
- Katte and his cavalry go on Koenighof. He has a good cohesion, but I needed someone fast.

Why these complex orders ? Well – one reason – military control.

Beginner’s corner

What is military control ?

As you can see, each land area has a very small icon, either a small white icon (actually the Prussian symbol, but probably too small to see on the screenshoot) or a yellow one (the Austrian symbol). Some area have the symbol of Hannover, Russia or Sweden, but for all practical purposes they have EXACTLY the same effect as the Prussian or Austrian symbol. Those symbols show who have the military control of the area (actually expressed in percentage, the icon shows who got more than 50%).
Military control has several usages, the most important ones being :

- You can see what is happening in an area under your control
- You units may move freely in area under your military control, even if there is a large enemy army, or a fortress nearby
- Your armies can ONLY retreat in an area which you military control. An army which cannot retreat will fight to the end with added ferocity.
- Finally, and most importantly, your supplies (not shown on the map) can go through provinces your control to fill your supply wagons and feed your troops.

To gain military control, just sit an army on a province. The larger the army, the quicker it becomes “controlled”. Some units are better than other at this, and also military control in a province tend to fall back to the “loyalty” percentage of the province (which is another data you will rarely use, but exist in game).

End of the corner.

So in my case, my troops are very short on supplies, and I want to make sure a stream of supplies go from Glatz and Schweidnitz, and beyond those two small cities from Breslau, to my troops. And the best way to do this is to sit an army on these province. Note that sitting an army unchallenged somewhere automatically gives the effect of military control to that army, even if it is not big enough to actually have the province change of “owner”. This is why my hussars and light cavalries are running everywhere.

Last picture - when I thought of sending some Hannoverian reinforcement to Frederick, I sent some cav first so it would arrive quickly. This cavalry is a bit everywhere on the map now, but will actually prove useful in the following turns :

Sneaky.jpg

In this image you can also see the Austrian trying to bring North some of their troops by bateaux. Some of their troops... or maybe generals for the Swedes ? I know not. The few bateaux he uses cannot carry a lot of people anyway, so I am not worried.

Last edited:
Part XIX – Late June – The first siege of Koeniggratz

The Austrians saw nothing. The Austrian player confessed me afterwards that until the very end, he was convinced I would go for Prag, as he overestimated my cohesion and supply level.

In any case, his moves were not at all adapted to an attacked on Koeniggratz :

Engagement-1.jpg

Charles de Lorraine meets my forces at Kolin, and it is not a good day for Austria :

BattleofKolin.jpg

4800 Prussian dead – that’s significant – but 8000 Austrians that won’t ever fight back. More over, I lost some cavalry elements, he lost one elite element and EIGHT regular infantry elements. He took some hits while retreating, and a morale hit (I forget to take a screenshoot of those, so I cannot remember how heavy they were). Good battle.

This did not even save Koeniggratz, which is now sieged :

SupplyBridge.jpg

As you can see, I have a supply “bridge”, so the siege should be piecemeal now.

This siege had better go fast, though, are there are an awful lot of Austrians coming after me. Note that one of them have the most impressive moustache I have ever seen in the game, shaming even von Zieten’s.

Funnymustache.jpg

In the West, the French are carrying on, and are now sieging Dortmund, which is now doomed.

Dortmundisdoomed.jpg

I have a new plan though : an attack on Frankfurt. Hopefully, this could entice the Austrian player to send some troops to defend Frankfurt, thus slowing his progress toward Hannover… For now I prepare the way (by taking military control of the only road to Frankfurt), while Wurthenau waits for Cumberland.

DiversionHesse.jpg

Knowing my opponent, there is even a chance he moves a very sizeable force toward my army… or nothing at all. In any case, Wurthenau and Cumberland don’t have enough force to stop the French onslaught, and there is no way I sacrifice them in some delaying action. I might as well grab Frankfurt and threatens the heart of the Empire.

Finally, in the North, the Swedes are STILL not moving, and I am still following the plan – now sieging my first Swedish city.

NordJuin.jpg

I have a question about the province control.
If you control a province, do you always see armies there? Or does a controlled province have a base detection value and detects an army with this but if the army has a higher hide value it will not detect it? In RUS I think its the second one if understood the tutorial right.

The second is true. I believe you always spot an enemy army in offensive stance, though, as they cut your lines of supply.

so, the French are a real, if distant, threat, presume you need to destroy the Swedes to free up troops, Austria look ok, but in the east? Very hard to work out if this is all good or bad but at least you seem in control (ie able to make your own choice) on every front

Part XX – Early July –And then came the Russians

Fairly important turn overall.

The big news is the arrival of the Russians. And awful lot of them :

RussianAttack.jpg

I cannot count them already, but let’s just say that’s a lot of them. They also have a fortified camp, so their supply line is protected… a little.

Now you will hear about my plan. You remember about my forces there. There was 27 900 men, 12 700 horses and 240 guns (counting the garrison). Well, now there are 30 900 men, 12 500 horses and 340 guns. I built all the guns I could in Koenigsberg (fixed guns are cheap and pack some punch), and send 2000 militias directly from Berlin to Eastern Prussia. I have more troops in the building.

I cannot account for the 200 missing horses. Attrition, I suppose, or maybe black market ? Who knows. I started an inquiry :)

To command this huge army, I called none other than Heinrich von Prussen himself, who one month ago was leading the Prussians against Sweden. His 5-3-4 stats and more importantly his Master of Defence trait are absolutely essential.

NewCommanderinChief-1.jpg

[My units are organized in two stacks – all cavalry led by Peter Pennavaire, and main army led by Heinrich, plus the garrison ; I just wanted to show my forces by grouping them]

Hans Von Lehwaldt is made Commander-in-Chief (Heinrich is not high level enough to be one] but I will make sure he does not command directly during battle, as he has no Master of Defense bonus.

The Russians are numerous… maybe 100K of them, so they outnumber me 3 to 1. That’s the only thing they : their army is of poor quality, it is extremely poorly led, they have few guns, they are on the attack, and my defensive ground is outstanding (“moors”, which is even better than forest gamewise - few enemy units can engage at once. Little frontage possible for you HoI 3 people.). I have my chance and I want to try it. This battle will show who wins between quantity and everything else.

Finally, I have to make a decision concerning Dantzig :

DantzigDecision.jpg

The choice is either to pay for Dantzig to be neutral, or not to pay, in which case, if the Austrian player paid, Dantzig will be Austrian (for game purpose). If I fail at stopping the Russian, letting the Russians keeping Dantzig will weakens my second and last line of defense, Kolberg. I prefer to pay.

Because I paid 75 Thalers for Dantzig, I am now short on cash. I decide to raise more money

RaiseMoreMoney.jpg

This costs me 5 Engagement Points (EP), 2 National Morale and 25 Victory Points, but brings 50 Thalers. It also creates inflation (2% or 5% I believe) until the end of the game – everything will cost slightly more from now on.

Now let’s see the other fronts :

In the North, against Sweden, I combined Hanoverian, Prussian and Brunswickian forces into one large stack of 29 000 men and 142 guns.

Fatstack.jpg

They are still sieging Wismar.

Meanwhile, I am trying to get military control on the road to Rostock. Being supplied directly from Berlin is quite the luxury. I have been trying for the past 2 turns.

Ambushetdeploiement.jpg

Those Frei Batalionnes are ordered to get ready to ambush as they go forward.

In Bohemia, I breached Koeniggratz. It should fall next turn, and I order my troops to prepare for assault.

Complexcomb-1.jpg

Wedell and von Schwerin are ordered to link up with the main Prussian force, while Katte is sent up North to serve as a reserve against an eventual enemy group that would try to attack while all my armies are in the Bohemian mountains.

I expect the enemy to occupy the Pardubitz province to block any attack on Prag and maybe try to attack Koeniggratz. The Austrians move very slowly – this is due to their generals never being activated.

Note that my Depot is under attack by a small cavalry force led by Hadik. Hussars only, I am not too worried, as I have put several elements of grenadiers in garnison.

Still, one of the general I had up there (cannot remember why – think I recruited him but then forget about him) is ordered to regroup all the Hannoverian cavalry and to chase the Hungarian hussars from the depot.

Freethedepot.jpg

In the Western Front, not much news. The French are there en force and I think I can already cross Dortmund out of the list of cities I control

Lotsieofpeople.jpg

If you cannot read the text, that’s 3 stacks of French there, with power ranging from 1000 to 1800.

Cumberland is too exhausted to move again, so it is one more turn lost.

ExhaustedArmy.jpg

Actually, Cumberland is a pretty poor commander-in-chief. I need someone better. Good news : I have a decision to make concerning Ferdinand of Brunswick

FerdinandofBrunswick.jpg

I have several choices :
- Keep it as a 2-star leader in Prussia
- Move him to Hannover as a 2-star and get him replaced by another general in Prussia
- Move him to Hannover as a 3-star leader, for an hefty cost in National Morale (10NM)

Time for a beginner’s corner.

Beginner’s Corner : Leader Ranks, command points

They are four “ranks” of General in RoP :

- The one-star leader(Brigadier) is the basic general. He brings 4 command points.
- The two-star leader (Major General) brings 8 command points. He can lead columns, but not armies
- The three-star leader (General) brings 16 command points. He can lead columns or be commander-in-chief of several columns.
- The four-star leader works exactly like a three-star general, but is made four-star to be sure that he will always be “senior” against three-star generals. In practice, only Frederick is four stars in the game. You don’t want the King to be commanded by some lesser general, do you ?

Some generals are called “Prince”, “King” or something like that instead of Brigadier, Major General or General, but it does not change anything (except that they tend to have an higher “Politics” rating, see below).

To gain “stars”, a leader must :

- Be allowed to do so in the scenario setting. No general are allowed to become four-star, for instance. Many cavalry leaders will never be two
- Gain at least 4 seniority compared to their starting rank. A general gain seniority by behaving well in battle (whether it is a victory or a loss).

Then , once the leader is eligible, you must “promote” him, and next turn he will have gained a rank… and angered the general from his previous rank that had more seniority but were not promoted (even if those were not promotable). This “anger” will translate into lost Victory and Morale Points, depending mostly of the “Politics” rating.

Command Points is one of the most important thing in Rise of Prussia. Each unit need a different number of command point to be lead effectively. For instance, Frei Bataliones need 1, Hussars 0, Grenadiers 3,… If the stack produces less command points then it needs, then you will get a malus in speed and combat efficiency of up to 35% (which is the basic price paid by leaderless units). You can lessen the command points need of units by joining them into a division under the direct command of a general (when you see a general with health and cohesion bars, it means he has a division under command), even though organizing a division has a small money cost. Brigade also fight together during battles, but I don’t really know how to organize them effectively, except for a few ideas given to me by Anazagar.

Armies without a commander-in-chief (not in a “column”) receive only HALF their normal command points. A one-star leader will only bring 2 measly command points.

End of the corner

Anyway, as I need a commander-in-chief and have no good one available, I decide to pay the cost to make one. I never did that before (I think the second option tend to be superior) but I tried to innovate. This would prove a bad idea, since in a few turns actually have a few “new ones”, but anyway.

Overall, with all my decisions, I lost 12 National Morale this turn. That’s a lot !

In other news :

Change of government in England – England is my ally but is not helping much for now - just sending (scripted) money and war supplies.

FlavorEvent.jpg

This is mostly a flavor event (I did not show you quite a lot before this one), but gives me an handful of Engagement Points.

The Garde-du-Corps I started to produce late March are finally ready. Just to show you how long it can take to produce good troops.

Longuepro.jpg

And finally, I recruited a new general. Not too good, but well…

Newgen.jpg

I will send him to the North.

Last edited: