• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(186672)

Corporal
3 Badges
Dec 28, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
So after becoming a secondary power with Argentina I had the choice wether to conquer South America or annex Madagascar. As I wanted to be cool like everyone else I decided to have a colony instead of the rest of the continent.
Really bad idea even though it went good at first: I had a small transport fleet and brought over some troops to Madagascar. As their army was really weak it didn't take long until I occupied the first few provinces. I sent my fleet back home because they were slowly running out of supplys. When I looked for it again it was gone. I can only guess they ran out of supplys and sunk on the way to Buenos Aires.
It didn't really bother me as I was rich at the time and could easily build up an new fleet. I went on occupying Madagascar as the British Empire and its allies suddenly declared war on me. They probably wanted to show me and my military government who's boss. So I started to group my remaining army against the upcoming british storm. I knew I couldn't stand a chance but at least wanted to put up a heavy fight. Problem was that a fair part of my remaining troops was up in the most northern province of Paraguay to secure peace there. A pity I hadn't taken control of entire Paraguay before. They would never agree on military access so I had no choice but fight with the sad rest of my troops. Surprisingly they didn't attack the main core of my land but invaded the south and all of a sudden had 4-5 divisions up in northern Paraguay. My few divisions there got defeated and they sent me a peace offering. The german translation was terribly bad so it said something about "narrowing Argentina", which wasn't that bad of a translation now that I think about it. All I wanted was preventing them from invading my country and it didn't say anything about that they would achieve one of my provinces so I agreed without knowing what exactly the peace treaty was about.
After that I finally annexed Madagascar, being still at war with france, russia and several smaller countrys. I realised that I lost quite a bit of troops so I wanted to recruit new units. Than I saw on what kind of treaty I actually agreed on: it was a disarmament treaty.

You, Empire, have made me, my peaceloving nature and my presidential dictatorship look like a fool again!
(Yes, I do realise I'm one of the greatest Newbies ever ...)

Looks like you've been a bad boy. :p
Probably your infamy is over 25, so everybody got a "cut down to size" CB on you.

I wonder why someone who obviously understands English would install ANY game in German. Masochism?

This translation doesn't mean "Contain Argentina" does it? You probably breached the Infamy limit, giving Britain (along with everyone else) a Containment CB on you. It causes you to automatically disband a certain amount of your army and prevents you from raising any new armies for 5 years, so that's likely it. Next time, keep watch on your Infamy (you can view it by viewing your own nation in the Diplomacy > Wars tab, it's a tattered red flag), and don't let it breach the limit of 25 (it will slowly burn off on it's own) unless you're prepared to fight the rest of the world.

So after becoming a secondary power with Argentina I had the choice wether to conquer South America or annex Madagascar. As I wanted to be cool like everyone else I decided to have a colony instead of the rest of the continent.
Really bad idea even though it went good at first: I had a small transport fleet and brought over some troops to Madagascar. As their army was really weak it didn't take long until I occupied the first few provinces. I sent my fleet back home because they were slowly running out of supplys. When I looked for it again it was gone. I can only guess they ran out of supplys and sunk on the way to Buenos Aires.
It didn't really bother me as I was rich at the time and could easily build up an new fleet. I went on occupying Madagascar as the British Empire and its allies suddenly declared war on me. They probably wanted to show me and my military government who's boss. So I started to group my remaining army against the upcoming british storm. I knew I couldn't stand a chance but at least wanted to put up a heavy fight. Problem was that a fair part of my remaining troops was up in the most northern province of Paraguay to secure peace there. A pity I hadn't taken control of entire Paraguay before. They would never agree on military access so I had no choice but fight with the sad rest of my troops. Surprisingly they didn't attack the main core of my land but invaded the south and all of a sudden had 4-5 divisions up in northern Paraguay. My few divisions there got defeated and they sent me a peace offering. The german translation was terribly bad so it said something about "narrowing Argentina", which wasn't that bad of a translation now that I think about it. All I wanted was preventing them from invading my country and it didn't say anything about that they would achieve one of my provinces so I agreed without knowing what exactly the peace treaty was about.
After that I finally annexed Madagascar, being still at war with france, russia and several smaller countrys. I realised that I lost quite a bit of troops so I wanted to recruit new units. Than I saw on what kind of treaty I actually agreed on: it was a disarmament treaty.

You, Empire, have made me, my peaceloving nature and my presidential dictatorship look like a fool again!
(Yes, I do realise I'm one of the greatest Newbies ever ...)
unrelated with the topic at all, but i just want to say it. i like paragraph

I wonder why someone who obviously understands English would install ANY game in German. Masochism?
Not at all. I'm just obssesively looking for bad translations. Allows me to think in ways like "YEAH THEY MADE SUCH A SMART GAME BUT CAN'T TRANSLATE IT INTO PROPER GERMAN" when I'm doing terrible in wars or elsewhere.

This translation doesn't mean "Contain Argentina" does it? You probably breached the Infamy limit, giving Britain (along with everyone else) a Containment CB on you. It causes you to automatically disband a certain amount of your army and prevents you from raising any new armies for 5 years, so that's likely it. Next time, keep watch on your Infamy (you can view it by viewing your own nation in the Diplomacy > Wars tab, it's a tattered red flag), and don't let it breach the limit of 25 (it will slowly burn off on it's own) unless you're prepared to fight the rest of the world.

Yeah I went into war with Madagascar with around 20 infamy so that wasn't smart at all.
It's usually my problem in these games. In Victoria 1 I constantly fought 2 or more european great powers with Italy for over 2 decades and even turned into a proletarian dictatorship because of that total war. Surprisingly they never managed to bring me down entirely, even allowing me to raise 2 well experienced generals.