• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
AllmyJames - Well, we`ll see. I`m playing on 'very hard', and it`s been a while since I played CK, plus I`m roleplaying a bit - so I wouldn`t expect to become superpower soon. But who knows ;)

Enewald, Tommy4ever - Sure, it`s quite interesting possibility, I think :cool:

Vesimir - In due time.;)

Alfredian, Nazaroth - Yeah, strong risky vassals make game more interesting.:D

The_Shepherd - Welcome.

Morrell8 - Thanks, I make maps in Photoshop.

asd21593 - Welcome back.:)

LOGO-1.png

Bolesław II the Bold (Śmiały)
1042-1083
Duke.png
Duke of Poland 1058-1066
King.png
King of Poland 1066-1083

portret-1.jpg

Traits:

energetic.png
Energetic,
generous.png
Generous,
valorous.png
Valorous,
proud.png
Proud,
vengeful.png
Vengeful,
knowledgeable_tactician.png
Knowledgeable Tactician

Part II

Year 1070 was peaceful for Poland. King Bolesław finally had a son and heir, named Bożydar (pol. 'God`s gift'), and he became close friend with Bogumił - Archbishop of Gniezno. In order to strengthen position of his trusted vassals, he enlarged his lands with Poznań province. Thus royal power and stability seemed to be secured. Things where completely different in the Holy Roman Empire, where so called 'Investiture Controversy' escalated into civil war, after prominent Italian noble - Matilda of Canossa, openly opposed Henry IV. Starting from year 1071, Matilda was joined by many prominent feudal lords, not only from Italy, but also from Germany. By late 1072 Papal camp consisted of most of the northern Italy, Lotharingia, Austria, Swabia, Thuringia, and Karynthia. Bolesław saw deteriorating position of Henry IV as an excellent opportunity to take Lusatia, which he claimed in year 1070.

Kampania.jpg

Campaign in Lusatia and Meissen.

King mobilised strong army from his vast domain in summer of 1072, and in November he declared war and marched into Lusatia. His Hungarian allies didn`t join this conflict, because they were busy fighting Patchenegs in the east. On the other hand, king of Denmark decided to aid the Emperor, wary of growing presence of Poland in the Baltic. Polish army easily defeated small Lusatian forces, after reaching that province, and attempt to counter-attack by Margrave of Meissen was crushed as well. Until summer of 1073, Bolesław managed to take by siege Lusatian Chociebuż, Budziszyn, as well as Meissen - thus forcing Margrave to cede claimed provinces. Feeling very confident, he also extended his claims to the territory of Northern March. Polish army didn`t encounter any significant opposition of the imperial forces, until Battle of Merserburg in June of 1073. Bolesław`s army clashed with similarly sized host commanded by Duke of Luxembourg. Battle was victorious for Poland, but causalities were severe - less than half of men from the start of campaign were present at this point.

Danes.jpg

The Danes ravaging countryside.

In the meantime, vast invasion force of the Danes arrived on the beaches of Pomerania. Thus, Bolesław had no other choice but to call his vassals to immediately mobilise their troops. Archbishop Bogumił, and Duke Wszebor of Silesia responded at once, his brother Władysław Herman only after some time, while his rival, bishop Stanisław of Lubusz, as well as Wacław Grot of Pomerania refused to do so. After Danish troops entered deep into Poland, they revolted against Bolesław. With such turn of events, Polish king had to retreat from Germany, to fight Danes and rebellious vassals back home. In December of 1073 peace with Henry IV was concluded, in which Lusatia was given to Bolesław, but Northern March remained within the Empire. However, Henry IV eventually lost power in year 1077, and closest Papal ally - Matilda of Canossa became new ruler, of much weakened Holy Roman Empire.

matylda.jpg

Matilda of Canossa - Queen of the Romans.

Forces of vassals loyal to Bolesław had a very hard time fighting numerous Danes. Invaders managed to capture Poznań and Kalisz, burn Sieradz castle, and they looted and killed wherever they came. Eventually, once king returned to assume command over the army, they were defeated in several bloody battles, and in spring of 1074 peace with Denmark was concluded. In several moths, commanding remnants of once large armies, Bolesław defeated rebellious vassals. It was a pyrrhic victory however, with tens of thousands killed, many settlements destroyed, and completely depleted financial reserves. Upon hearing about weakness of Poland, neighbouring pagan Prussians and Yotvingians invaded Masovia in late 1074. King once again rallied his few tired, demoralised troops, meeting invaders with mixed results. Eventually, in early 1075, it became clear that it is impossible to defeat more numerous foe, and truce was declared, in which Podlasie province was given to Prussians.

bunty.jpg

Pagan revolts.

Years of constant warfare and destruction took its toll. Few warriors that stayed alive, who hadn`t receive pay in moths, turned into bandits en masse. Rural population, upon returning to their razed settlements often faced starvation. Soon situation deteriorated into complete chaos. Moreover, few pagan priests that were left in Poland, fuelled hate towards Christianity, which many people still considered alien. Large mobs of rebels besieged Kraków twice, in 1075 and 1076, and in 1077 they captured Kalisz, killing local clergy and burning church and castle. Powerless, and unable to keep authority over large domain, king had to give more land to his vassals. Archbishop of Gniezno received Lubusz, his brother Władysław Herman - Łęczyca, and whole Lusatia went to Wszebor Włostowic. This made Duke of Silesia equally powerful to Bolesław, so to ensure his loyalty, king married his daughter in 1077. Additionally, only son and heir, Bożydar, was sent to Pomerania which Bolesław considered to be safer place than Kraków. King also created two new duchies - of Kalisz and Sandomierz. Thus royal demesne was limited to Kraków, Cieszyn and Sieradz.

wasale.jpg

Major vassals of Bolesław II in year 1083

In year 1079 this weakness was exploited by Bolko, newly appointed Duke of Sandomierz, who managed to take Kraków by a surprise attack and assault of the castle. Bolesław barely managed to flee his capital, but while he was gathering his warriors for counter-attack, his brother Władysław Herman rebelled as well. King defeated him in battle, but was severely wounded. Thus Masovia and Sandomierz became independent duchies. Barely alive, Bolesław returned to Kraków, and never fought, or commanded armies until his death. Final years of his reign brought some stability, however. 'Pagan reaction' finally faded away, remaining vassals kept their loyalty towards liege, and some feudal lords even asked to pay him homage. In 1082, after death of rebellious Bolko, regents of juvenile Duke of Sandomierz decided to return under king`s suzerainty. At the same year, Count of Hradec, preferred Poland to newly independent kingdom of Bohemia. Bolesław II the Bold died in year 1083, due to old wound from battle with his rebellious brother, leaving the throne to his only son - Bożydar.

Mapa-1.jpg

Poland in year 1083.

Marriages and children.

Uta Von Thuringen (1051-1071)
uta.jpg

Bolesław married with Uta, sister of Margrave of Thuringia in year 1066 to gain an ally in the Holy Roman Empire. Margrave later joined Papal camp during the civil war against Henry IV. Uta gave birth to two children:
- Maria - born in 1068, she died same year due to poor health.
- Bożydar - born in 1070, Bolesław`s only son and heir.
She died in labour in 1071, child was also lost.

Sugarka Akos (1042-1073)
Sugrka.jpg

Sugarka was a daughter of Duke of Transylvania Mate I. Bolesław saw to strengthen ties with Hungarian nobility by this marriage. However, he had to leave his new wife after few moths to take command over the army in Lusatia. Sugarka had several affairs during that time, and while Bolesław initially ignored these rumours, upon returning from his campaigns in 1073 he ordered to execute her.
Bolesław had one daughter with Sugarka - Judyta, born in 1072.

Zwinnisława Włostowic (1045-)
ZwinnisawaWostowic.jpg

Bolesław married with Zwinnisława, daughter of Silesian Duke Wszebor I, in year 1077. In this troublesome period of rebellion, king wanted to ensure loyalty of his most powerful vassal. She didn`t give birth to any children.

family_tree.jpg

Male line of Piast dynasty in year 1083.

I just read the whole History I and am very glad that you started writing an AAR (altough a new one) again. Really great work on those graphics, best I've seen I think.

Bozydar is surely going to have some trouble now. Only 13 and with so many powerful vassals. An entertaining (by which I mean unsuccessful) beginning :)

Mappa Regnum, can i get the link for this?

Hold on... Matilda of Canossa somehow got herself elected Holy Roman Empress?! That's huge. I can't even foresee what ultimate consequences that would have... not just on Germany and her neighbors like Poland, but on Europe as a whole.

By the way, your AAR is awesome, as always. Great imagery.

This is the third or fourth AAR I've seen where Matilda inherits, so nothing new there lol. I too see some legitimacy problems--if Wladyslaw Herman has any sense, he'll march on Krakow and take the crown himself. Knowing CK, he'll quickly kneel before his nephew and all will be well. :)

I am interested to see if the Duke of Masovia will wait to see if an accident happens to young Bozydar, or tries to speed things up (invasion, assasination.....)

Ah, the Danes. Don't **** with those vikings tm :D

Hmmm Empress of the HRE more like. Beautiful images as always... is there a game/app that you're using for the maps? It looks positively wonderful...

Makesin, AllmyJames, EnragedKiwi - Thank you :)

Enewald - Yeah, I`ve lost a lot of manpower when they attacked.

Vesimir - Oh well, that`s CK`s random name generator :D

_tr - Yeah, that`s good one.:)

AlexanderPrimus - Yeah. It is even more messed up, because she only got German crown. Burgundian and Italian crowns remained with Salian dynasty (which is now italianized). Plus Matilda doesn't have any children - I wonder who will inherit her title.

asd21593 - Well, he did quite well, at least initially

hyme Sure: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?487372-Mappa-Regnorum

Edzako
- I`m glad you like both.:)

gabor - Well, it seems that new Emperors used that title link

General_BT, Alfredian - Yeah, unfortunately AI isn`t that smart. But he didn`t kneel at least. ;)

Milites - Yeah. I was actually quite surprised by their attack - should they had any claims, I would have to cede land to them.

Rivus - Not sure what you mean by game app? I`ve made that map from scratch (actually from Mappa Regnum blank map).

the_hdk - Thanks. I`m making textured 3d model for body (using some of my M2TW modding stuff), then i`m making backgrounds from screenshots (M2tW, or Mount & Blade in next update). Finally I`m finishing it in photoshop, adding some 2d elements, so that everything blends together nicely. As for Mappa Regnum with DVIP - I just installed Mappa as the last thing, and it works.

LOGO-1.png

Bożydar I
1070-1098
Duke.png
Duke of Pomerania 1077-1083
King.png
King of Poland 1083-1098

Portret-2.jpg

Traits:

proud.png
Proud,
vengeful.png
Vengeful,
Suspicious.png
Suspicious,
tough_soldier.png
Tough Soldier,
stressed.png
Stressed

Upon death of Bolesław II the Bold, Poland was still emerging from disastrous period of war and rebellion, with rule over the kingdom passing to his only son, thirteen years old Bożydar. Young heir witnessed violence, betrayal, and fear during his childhood, and since he was sent to Pomerania at age of six, he lacked parental upbringing. All of this had impact on his personality - Bożydar was timid, troubled, and suspicious. However, until he reached adulthood all ruling duties went to his voivode - Casimir.

Regent was very competent man, seasoned warrior and commander. He immediately secured confirmation of ongoing alliance from Hungary. He also tried several times to persuade Bożydar`s uncle, Władysław Herman, to return under royal suzerainty, but Duke of Masovia repeatedly declined. In year 1084 Tomasz, new archbishop of Gniezno, tried to stir a rebellion against Bożydar. Powerful priest hoped to bring Władysław Herman to the throne, but his troops were immediately defeated by armies of voivode Casimir. Such quick and succesful reaction discouraged Duke of Masovia from declaring war. With Krakow, Pomerania and Greater Poland, royal demesne was greatly enlarged, giving Bożydar very strong position over his vassals. He took over ruling duties from his voivode in year 1086, at age of sixteen.

swiatowid.jpg

Statue of Svetovid - pagan, four-headed god.

At that time, Polish western neighbour, Obodrite Confederation, was being defeated by powerful, independent Duke of Saxony Magnus Billung. Young Bożydar decided to intervene, and after quick campaign against tribe of Redarians he annexed Wołogoszcz province on the left bank of Oder river. This meant the end of independent, pagan reign in the region. Their numerous temples and religious monuments were destroyed, and they were subjected to forced Christianization.

However, despite his strong position, and the fact that kingdom was slowly being rebuilt after disastrous reign of his father, Bożydar didn`t want to pursue aggressive policy. He also dismissed suggestions of his advisers to subdue his rebellious uncle by force. Instead, he continued to rebuild country, and strengthened relations with his neighbours. Bożydar married with daughter of Duke of Nitra from royal house of Arpad, and sent his sister Judyta to marry Maftei, lord of Volhynia. Unfotunately, diplomatic efforts towards Kiev didn`t work so well. In year 1089 Maftei and Judyta had to flee to Krakow, after they were banished from Volodymyr castle by their lord Mstislav I. Few moths later Kievan Prince gathered his armies and declared war Poland, with claims to Sandomierz.

Szlom.jpg

Polish 'pancerny' taking 'Szłom' helmet from defeated Kievan warrior.

Bożydar decided to call only for warriors from his own, large domain. However, his situation was complicated further when Władysław Herman decided to take crown from him, and declared war. Fortunately for Polish king, Prussian tribes decided to invade Kievan lands at the same time. Able to focus his campaign on Duke of Masovia, Bożydar easily defeated his uncle. He was banished from Poland, and rule over Masovia was given to his son - Konrad, who accepted to become a vassal. With beginning of year 1091, king was able to concentrate his efforts on defeating his eastern neighbour. He captured Przemyśl, and then marched straight into Kiev, opposed only by small, disorganised armies, because Mstislav I was fighting Prussians with majority of his troops. Capital of Rus' fell several moths later.

Bożydar concluded peace, in which Przemyśl was given to Duke of Sandomierz, even though he could have demanded much more. Young king was widely, though indirectly, criticised for his indecisiveness and lack of ambition. When he returned to Krakow, he found out that his wife had an affair during his absence. In anger, he ordered to execute her. Following this, Bożydar became more and more withdrawn, leaving most of decision making to his officials.

vassals.jpg

Major vassals of Bożydar I in year 1098

Rumours about his weakness of character eventually reached Pope, who demanded introduction of several laws favouring Church, which included giving complete investiture rights to Rome. Threatened by excommunication, Bożydar gave in to this blackmail without hesitation. His condition was becoming much worse as years passed, as he refused to leave Krakow castle or attend to official meetings. Finally, in year 1098, his cousin Konrad of Masovia decided to openly demand crown. Bożydar theoretically could have easily defeat him, but he simply accepted his claim and abdicated. He died several moths later.

Mapa-17.jpg

Poland in year 1098.

Marriages and children.

Margit Arpad (1070-1091)
magrit.jpg

Bożydar married with Margit, daughter of Duke of Nitra Geza I to strengthen long alliance with Hungary. She came from royal house of Arpad, her father was a son of king Bela I. She was executed when Bożydar learned that she had an affair while he was campaigning in Kiev.
- Jolanta - born in 1089, Bożydar`s only child.

Efimia Rurikovich (1075-)
Efimia.jpg

King married Efimia, daughter of Kievan Prince Mstislav I, in year 1092, following death of Margit. It was meant to further confirm peace settlement after war of 1090-1091. She didn`t give birth to any children, and according to rumours, due to Bożydar`s depression marriage was never consummated.

familytree.jpg

Male line of Piast dynasty in year 1098.

Last edited: