• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
LOGO-1.png

Mieszko I
930-992
Duke.png
Duke of Polans 960-992

portrt.jpg

When Mieszko took over rule over Polans-led tribal federation, he continued to expand his domain. He strengthened 'druzhyna' - personal force of professional warriors employed by his father, which not only contributed during conquests, but also helped to keep ducal authority over tribes. In first years of his reign, Mieszko took control over Pomerelia, or Gdansk Pomerania, and then repeatedly raided Veleti lands across Oder river, but without success. At the same time, in year 963, German margrave Gero finished his long campaigns against Sorbs, by expanding his Eastern March into whole Lusatia, and thus reaching borders of Polans. Seeing Mieszko`s attempts to subjugate Veleti as meddling in his sphere of influence, Gero invaded Polans, forcing Duke to pay tribute to German Emperor, but only from westernmost lands, up to Warta river.

chrzest.jpg

'Baptism of Poland' - 19th century painting.

Following raids of Polans and Gero`s victories, leaders of Veleti, being wary of German and Polish expansion, allied themselves with Bohemian duke Boleslav I. In 960s Czech Duchy controlled, besides Bohemia, also Moravia, Silesia and Krakow land. Thus Mieszko was facing difficult geopolitical situation, and decided to stop attempts at further expansion. Instead he started to pursue closer relations with Bohemian ruler, who could have become valuable ally against Gero and Veleti. In year 965 he married daughter of Boleslav I - Dobrava, and next year, in 966, he decided to convert to Christianity. It is not known what was Mieszko`s motivation behind conversion, but it had very serious repercussions in the future. It strengthened his alliance with Czechs, established his Duchy as a political entity on par with German Marches, thus diminishing their 'rights' to raid his domain, and moreover - clergy and budding ecclesiastical structures helped him to centralise his power. Of course initially only small number of tribal elites close to Mieszko converted to new faith. Common tribesmen, and especially pagan priests, treated new religion with suspicion at very least, and many decades had to pass before Christianity took firm roots on Polish lands.

Following normalization of relations with German neighbours, Mieszko resumed expansion. In early 970s, with help of Bohemian allies, he conquered rest of Pomerania, including mouth of Oder river. However, this new acquisition became contested by new Margrave of Eastern March - Odo, who was wary of growing power of Polans. Acting independently from the Emperor, he invaded Mieszko`s domain in 972, but was defeated by forces of Polans during battle of Cedynia. German Emperor dismissed Odo`s claims, and settled whole conflict resulting in status quo. In following years Polans turned their attention to the East, by taking control of Sandomir land, as well as 'Cherven Gorods' (also known as 'Red Ruthenia').

wojowie.jpg

From left to right - German knight, Polish 'druzhynnik' heavy cavalryman, Bohemian infantryman
(late 10th/early 11th century).

In year 978 Mieszko took daughter of Margrave of Northern March, Oda, as a second wife. Thus his contacts with Saxon nobility became much closer. He became directly involved in power struggle between Emperor Otto II and Duke of Bavaria Henry II, supporting latter, along with Bohemia. Emperor invaded land of Polans in year 981 without success, but while Mieszko`s warriors were busy fighting in the West, Kievan Grand Prince Vladimir I took over 'Cherven Gorods'.

In year 985 Duke of Polans switched sides in Civil War, by supporting minor Otto III. This move proved to be beneficial because new Emperor eventually prevailed, but it also ruined alliance with Bohemia, which allied with Veleti once again. Thus in year 990 it came to war between former allies. With support of the Emperor, Mieszko achieved great victory, and added Silesia and Krakow land to his domain.

mapa1.jpg

Last edited:
Be careful with what you take of religions from Bohemia. Next thing you know you'll have Hussites disputing your theology

Jagie%C5%82%C5%82o_dispute.JPG

;)

Vesimir - I have only Central/Eastern Europe for now.

Enewald - Thanks.

Milites - Well, everything is possible. ;)

Ok, three more rulers and proper AAR will begin.

LOGO-1.png

Bolesław I the Brave (Chrobry)
967-1025
Duke.png
Duke of Polans 992-1025
Duke.png
Duke of Bohemia 1003-1004
King.png
King of Poland 1025

portert.jpg

Right after Bolesław succeeded his father on ducal throne in year 992, he had to face internal opposition. He banished his stepmother Oda, along with two half-brothers, and got rid of two most troublesome magnates by blinding them. Such cruel example proved to be effective, and Bolesław didn`t face any rebellion throughout his reign. While strengthening his power, first years passed without any attempts at expansion. Duke forged strong alliance with Emperor Otto III, helping him to quell uprising of Lusatian Sorbs in 995. He supported expansion of Christianity however, by aiding Adalbert, former bishop of Prague, during his mission in Prussia. Czech priest died at the hands of pagans in year 997, who demanded ransom for his body. While Premyslids refused, Bolesław purchased body of the martyr for it`s weight in gold, and buried it in Gniezno cathedral. In year 999 Adalbert was canonised, which increased prestige of Polish Church and state.

gniezno.jpg

Emperor Otto III greeted by Boleslaw at Gniezno, 16th century painting.

Growing importance of the Duchy, and close alliance with Holy Roman Empire, was acknowledged in year 1000, with pilgrimage of Otto III to the grave of St Adalbert in Gniezno. Emperor wanted to include Poland and Hungary as a federated parts of the Empire, on more equal grounds than Duchy of Bohemia, for example. It was decided that Poland no longer had to pay tribute to the Emperor, and Church structures became dependent directly to the Pope. Friendship between two rulers was confirmed by exchange of gifts. Bolesław gave Otto 300 'pancerni' armoured cavalrymen, while himself he received a masterfully crafted copy of the lance of Saint Maurice.

Pancerny.jpg

'Pancerny' (pol. armoured) heavy cavalrymen from druzhyna of Bolesław the Brave.

Otto III died in year 1002, and his successor - Henry II, discarded his predecessor`s policy towards the East. When Polish-German relations deteriorated, Bolesław took advantage of unstable situation in the Empire, following succession, by claiming and invading Lusatia and Meissen in late 1002. Soon thereafter, Henry II recognised Bolesław`s rule over Lusatia but not Meissen. In year 1003 Duke intervened in succession crisis in Bohemia, which eventually gave him another ducal title. He also annexed Moravia and Slovakia same year, where Hungarian authority was still weak.

Wary about this aggresive policy, Henry II attacked Poland in year 1004, together with his Weleti allies. German armies managed to retake Bohemia, Meissen and Lusatia, and in year 1005 advanced into Poland proper. Eventually, Bolesław acknowledged his losses by signing peace treaty in Poznań. During same year, Pomeranians successfully rebelled, and became independent from Polish rule. Peace didn`t last long, however, and following years saw series of wars between Duke and the Emperor. Eventually long conflict ended in year 1018, with treaty of Bautzen, in which Henry II recognised Bolesław`s rule over Lusatia, and lent him 300 knights to support his expedition to the East.

kijwp.jpg

Bolesław entering Kiev with his troops, 19th century painting.

Polish Duke intervened in succession crisis in Kievan Rus`, following request of his son-in-law, Sviatopolk I. Leading an army consisting of mostly Polish, but also German, Hungarian, and Pecheneg warriors, he defeated Prince Yaroslav the Wise upon the battlefield, who later fled north to the Novgorod. Thus road to Kiev was opened, and Bolesław captured capital of Rus` same year. On the way back, he re-annexed Cherven Gorods. Despite successful intervention, Sviatopolk wasn`t able to hold on the throne without constant aid from Poles, and was eventually deposed.

koronacja.jpg

Coronation of Bolesław in Gniezno cathedral, 19th century painting.

Final achievement of Bolesław I the Brave was elevation of his realm to the rank of kingdom, following his coronation in year 1025. King died several moths afterwards, however.

Mapa-13.jpg

Last edited:
Most impressive. I was sad to see your Mali adventure abandoned. But this will undoubtedly make up for it.

I had to take another look at the picture depicting 'German knight, Polish druzhynnik and Bohemian infantryman' to understand what caught my attention. Now I realise the famous Polish moustache date back a millenium. :)

Also, I can't help commenting on the popmousness of the 19th century historical paintings; their seriousness borders the comical.

Subscribed!

I am glad to be able to follow what looks to be an amazing AAR right from the beginning. :)

Impressive background, and impressive graphics too :).

gabor - Thanks. Yeah, prominent moustache are Polish tradition - from Piast moustache, through szlachta moustache, to Piłsudski and Wałęsa moustache. :D I even modded one variant into my CK install.

As for painting - yeah it`s Jan Matejko for you. It`s a little bit over-expressive, symbolist, and on the verge of pathos, but it`s quite understandable given that he created his art during partitions - when 'national myth' was badly needed. I love his technique and attention to detail, though.

humancalculator, Cornelius Rex - Thank you and welcome.:)

Enewald - :p

AlexanderPrimus - Thanks, well - I extensively use photoshop and 3d software
to make these graphics. Something that I learned while modding Medieval 2 Total War. :)

LOGO-1.png

Mieszko II Lambert
990-1034
King.png
King of Poland 1025-1031
Duke.png
Duke of Poland 1032-1034

mieszko2_portret.jpg

Upon death of Bolesław the Brave in 1025, his successor, Mieszko, inherited vast domain and strong army. Just like his father, he got rid of internal opposition by banishing his two brothers - Bezprym and Otto, who fled to Germany and Rus`, respectively. Confident about his power, he immediately crowned himself king, against will of the new Emperor. Moreover, while Konrad II went to Italy to crown himself as a new ruler of the Holy Roman Empire, he supported German opposition, promising military aid to Swabian Duke Ernest II. Thus, in year 1027 internal power struggle erupted in the Empire. Mieszko organised devastating invasion deep into the Saxony later this year, but it was too late to help his allies, who were defeated by Konrad II. In year 1028 Poles were forced to withdraw and switch to the defensive, but they managed to repel German retaliatory raid into Lusatia in year 1029.

Mieszko II gained short-lived advantage once again in year 1030, by gaining a valuable ally in the Kingdom of Hungary. He raided Saxony once again, while his southern allies attacked into Bavaria, capturing Vienna on their way. However, in year 1031 king Stephen I concluded separate peace treaty with the Emperor. Moreover, Konrad II created an alliance with Kievan Grand Prince Yaroslav the Wise. Rus` armies invaded Poland from the east, eventually overrunning whole country. Mieszko was forced to flee to Bohemia, where he was imprisoned, while Yaroslav put his exiled brother Bezprym on the throne.

rus_woj.jpg

Rus` elite cavalryman.

Thus all territorial acquisitions of Bolesław the Brave - Lusatia, Moravia, Slovakia and Cherven, were lost. Rule of Bezprym however, turned out to be short-lived. He had to face many nobles loyal to Mieszko, as well as anti-Christian rebellion in some parts of the country. He was murdered in year 1032. With Poland left without ruler, Emperor Konrad II decided to release Mieszko from captivity and return him to power. However, he had to relinquish royal title, and rule along with his exiled brother Otto, who received Silesia, and distant relative - Dytryk, who were given Greater Poland. When Otto died next year, Mieszko retook his domain, and soon afterwards he defeated Dytryk, thus reuniting Polish realm. He died in year 1034, leaving the Duchy to his only son - Casimir.

mapa-14.jpg

Last edited:
Your graphics are superb, as always, and I'm learning a lot from this about early Polish history. Nice work!

This is not an original comment, but your graphics are magnificent. I like the way you have started a way before 1066 and given such good background on the evolution of the Kingdom.

AllmyJames, Zzzzz..., Masked Pickle, Legiazus, Alfredian - Thanks :)

Enewald - Well, he ruled quite long for medieval ruler (1019-1054).

OK next one is final 'historical background' update.