• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
LOGO-1.png

Casimir I the Restorer (Odnowiciel)
1016-1058
Duke.png
Duke of Poland 1034-1058

portret_kazimierz.jpg

At the time of his father`s death, Casimir was beyond borders of Poland, in the court of his uncle - Archbishop of Cologne. Without new ruler present, Polish magnates revolted en masse, which was also accompanied by anti-Christian 'pagan reaction'. Casimir tried to seize power two times. In 1037 he failed, and was forced to retreat to Saxony. After second failed attempt in 1038, he fled to Hungary, where he was imprisoned by king Stephen I.

With chaos continuing, one of the strongest magnates - Miecław, managed to create small state of his own in Masovia. At the same time Gdansk Pomerania broken it`s dependence from Poland. Duke of Bohemia Bretislaus I also saw this as an opportunity, and in 1039 he invaded Poland. His armies ravaged most of the country, and sacked many towns. During pillage of Polish capital - Gniezno, he took relics of Saint Adalbert back with him. Whole campaign ended with annexation of Silesia.

powrt.jpg

'Casimir returning to Poland', 19th century painting.

In year 1039 Casimir managed to brake free from imprisonment, and flee to Germany. Emperor Henry III was wary of increasing power and influence of Bohemian Duke, as well as pagan rebellion at his borders. Thus he decided to support Casimir in his attempt to regain control over country. Polish Duke received financial and military support, and in year 1040 captured Krakow, which became new capital of Poland. He also secured an alliance with Kievan Grand Prince Yaroslav the Wise, and married his sister - Dobronega. In several following years, Casimir managed to retake most of his domain, and after brief war with Bohemia, he forced Bretislaus I to renounce all claims on Polish lands, with exception of Silesia.

wojowie-1.jpg

From top to bottom - Eastern Polish Voivode (commander), Western Polish elite cavalryman/landlord, Southern Polish tribal warrior.

After few relatively peaceful years, Casimir attacked Miecław with support of Kievans. In year 1047 he defeated rebellious magnate and brought Masovia back into his realm. Finally, in year 1050, he attacked Duchy of Bohemia, acting against will of the Emperor. He seized control over Silesia after victorious campaign, and eventually Henry III acknowledged his rights over the region. Thus Casimir restored Duchy to it`s former shape, after long period of chaos, and final years of his reign were peaceful. He rebuilt and strengthened Church structures, which suffered during pagan revolt. He also decided to limit size and significance of Druzhyna, and instead he granted land to his retinue warriors in exchange to military service. At the same time heraldry was introduced, and slowly Poland began to transform from tribalism to feudalism.

mapa2-1.jpg

I really like the textures you're using for the maps in combination with the MTW II models. It'll be very interesting to see which direction the Polans will take!

These graphics are amazing and your updates are very well written. On top of that in your intro chapters I've learnt a huge amount about a period and place in history I had virtually no knowledge of. So well done and thank you.

Now onwards with the game! :D

Milites, Legiazus - Thanks.

gabor - Indeed, good guess.

Enewald - Yep, what Vesemir and _tr said.

Tommy4ever - Thnks. Yeah I though that it would be good to present some historical background, especially since I had to go only 100 years back to the beginnings of Poland.

OK. As you`ll see in next update I`ve modified initial startup a little bit, namely I gave king more land to make things more realistic. Also, Investiture Controversy historically started later, of course.

LOGO-1.png

Bolesław II the Bold (Śmiały)
1042-1083
Duke.png
Duke of Poland 1058-1066
King.png
King of Poland 1066-1083

portret-1.jpg

Traits:

energetic.png
Energetic,
generous.png
Generous,
valorous.png
Valorous,
proud.png
Proud,
vengeful.png
Vengeful,
knowledgeable_tactician.png
Knowledgeable Tactician

Part I

After his father`s death, Bolesław inherited ducal title as the eldest son. His brothers - Władysław Herman and Mieszko, received provinces of Masovia and Poznań to govern under his suzerainty. Right from the beginning, he saw Holy Roman Empire as the biggest threat to his rule. He intervened in Hungary during succession crisis, and helped anti-Imperial contender - Bela I, to win the throne. He also attempted to stir a rebellion in Bohemia, against Duke Vratislaus II, but to no avail. Eventually, he found a powerful ally in the Pope, Alexander II. In year 1065 started so called 'Investiture Controversy' between the head of the Church, and young emperor Henry IV. Bolesław started to apply Pope`s reform, and granted land to Archbishopric of Gniezno. Alexander II in return for support of Polish ruler, allowed him to be crowned king. Thus after 35 years, Poland became kingdom once again. Soon afterwards Bolesław married Uta - sister of Margrave of Thuringia, who was leaning to the Papal side in the upcoming conflict. He also created an aliance with young king of Hungary - Solomon I.

uta.jpg

Queen Uta

However, while re-establishment of the royal title brought prestige and influence across foreign courts, growing power of Bolesław triggered fears and opposition among magnates and landlords. Rebellious sentiment was further increased, after death of Mieszko and incorporation of Poznań to the royal demesne. Eventually, king was forced to delegate some of his power, and granted loyal castellan of Wrocław - Wszebor Włostowic, title of Duke of Silesia. Despite this gesture, opposition kept growing. One of the reasons was activity of influential Bishop of Krakow - Stanisław, who openly criticised Bolesław`s policies, preferring his brother - Władysław Herman on the throne. King managed to outmanoeuvre troublesome priest, however. He proposed Papal legate to create new bishopric in Lubusz, on the border with pagan Pomerania, and convinced him to grant this new office and fief to Stanisław.

bitwa-4.jpg

Polish warriors storming through the gates of Szczecin.

To distract his opposition, Bolesław decided to reclaim Gdańsk, and after assembling his army he invaded small pagan state during spring of 1068. However, Pomeranian Duke of Stettin - Świętopełk, decided to defend his ally, and moved into Lubusz and Greater Poland. While major part of the army, under command of Voivode Wacław Grot, kept besieging Pomeranian gorods, king returned to Poland and repelled attackers with ease. However, he waited to the very last moment with relieving besieged Lubusz - probably because of his animosity towards bishop Stanisław. Eventually, in January of 1069, campaign that started over Gdańsk, ended with conquest of whole Pomerania.

wasale.jpg

Major vassals of Bolesław II in year 1070

While victory was swift and accomplished without many losses, keeping new land, with hostile pagan tribes and difficult terrain, turned out to become a challenge. Bolesław decided to leave his experienced Voivode, Wacław Grot, in charge, who became new Lord of Pomerania. Region was plagued by numerous pagan rebellions in following years, but they were all brutally quelled by the new Duke. At the same time, conflict between the Pope and Henry IV polarized to such degree, that Holy Roman Empire stood on the verge of civil war. Confident about his power, with diminished internal opposition, and strong ally of Hungary, king Bolesław openly challenged his powerful neighbour by claiming Upper and Lower Lusatia...

mapa-16.jpg

Poland in year 1070.

Last edited:
Nice! Poland should be in a strong position in 1066 - given the proximity of weak pagan tribes and a fragmented Holy Roman Empire. There are any number of ways this could go. Looking forward to following!

I agree with Enewald.

Free the West Slavs from Germanic opression!

Poland should be in a strong position in 1066 - given the proximity of weak pagan tribes and a fragmented Holy Roman Empire.

The main worry seems to be the growth of strong vassals as Poland expand.

Strong vassals make for an interesting game. I look forward to this incarnation of 'History of the White Eagle'.