• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey guys - just wanted to let you know that this is not dead. [...] Update should be ready in a few days

And there's still no update. I know you are little busy now with CK2 portraits working (great work btw, but your AAR is also), so my question is: when would we expect any new episodes?

And there's still no update. I know you are little busy now with CK2 portraits working (great work btw, but your AAR is also), so my question is: when would we expect any new episodes?

Yeah - I've got a little bit distracted by CK2, but I'm getting back on AARing. CK2 is sooooo much better than CK1, especially storytelling wise.

Yeah - I've got a little bit distracted by CK2, but I'm getting back on AARing. CK2 is sooooo much better than CK1, especially storytelling wise.

Yes, it is. That's why I can only wait when you will make new polish AAR for it :) Anyway that's what I will do with my own AAR*. But I would be really glad if you finish it here first :D

* Though, I'm publishing it on Way of War forum.

CK2 is awesome and a half.:D

CK2 is awesome and a half.:D

Indeed, it would be a struggle to continue playing CK1. But I will not leave this AAR halfway through.

I'm happy to hear that.:) I guess it's too much work to mod into CK2 where you are now then?

I'm happy to hear that.:) I guess it's too much work to mod into CK2 where you are now then?

I don't know. Clausewitz engine games are quite easy to mod, but changing whole Europe, characters including, would be insane amount of work. Maybe if I just rework Poland and immediate surroundings - I'll think about it.

Last edited:
LOGO-1.png

Mieszko III the Conqueror (Zdobywca)
1182-1231
Duke.png
Duke of Masovia-Silesia 1192-1198
King.png
King of Poland 1198-1231

portret-8.jpg

Traits:

energetic.png
Energetic,
valorous.png
Brave,
Pragmatic.png
Pragmatic,
knowledgeable_tactician.png
Knowledgeable Tactician.

Despite king Świętopełk's death Polish crusaders carried on with the siege of Tiberias. City was captured in late 1198, and soon after war weary Fatimids agreed to declare truce, with Haifa, Jaffa and Tiberias remaining in Polish hands. Meanwhile, back in Poland 16 year old Mieszko III ascended to the throne. Successes and prestige earned by his father, as well as strong support of the Church, enabled young ruler to be elected without serious opposition. However, expensive crusade emptied royal treasury, and forced Świętopełk's council to borrow large amounts of gold. Mieszko had no choice but to sell some of royal estates to pay off these debts.

holyland.jpg

Provinces of the Holy Land.

By the year 1200 king managed to stabilise finances, and turn his attention back at the Holy Land. Crusaders had a hard time dealing with their new Muslim and Jewish subjects, which led to several riots. To boost local authorities he gathered and equipped additional 500 brother knights of Dobrzyń, and sent them to Levant. Year later he announced creation of Duchy of Jerusalem, which he gave to his brother Leszek. This move signalled his further ambitions in the region, and led to renewed tensions with the Fatimids who still held the Holy City. In exchange for Papal permission to create that title, Mieszko gave city of Haifa to the Knights Hospitaller. Vary of growing Christian presence in the region, Fatimids invaded Polish Levantine holdings in year 1204, forcing outnumbered defenders to hide behind walls. Polish king reacted to that by sending large army of 20,000 men from Poland under command of his other brother Bolko. Himself, he stayed in Kraków, vary of plotting nobles taking advantage of his absence. Duke Leszek managed to hold long enough for reinforcements to arrive, and with help of Bolko, as well as duke of Apulia who joined the crusade, defeated army of Caliph Al-Aziz at Jaffa in June of 1205. Victory was followed by capture of Jerusalem and Ascalon. However, by Papal decree Holy City went to duke of Apulia who few years later became first king of Jerusalem. Ascalon went to Polish crusaders, and Bolko Gozdawa became duke of Jaffa-Ascalon.

polscy_crusaders-1.jpg

Polish crusaders pursuing Fatimid warriors during battle of Jaffa.

Victory in the Holy Land greatly fortified internal position of, now grown up, king. During next several years he expanded his numerous holdings in Masovia, Silesia, and Lesser Poland, while also inviting German settlers to boost population and the economy. In year 1210 he conquered Dainava, where pagan Yotvingians successfully rebelled against their Rurikovich lord. Mieszko still had legal claims on Piast Prussia, and German Lusatia, and in year 1214 an opportunity arose to get some of these land back. In the early 13th century, persecuted heretical Cathars of southern France fled to the Holy Roman Empire. Emperor Adalbert II not only gave them sanctuary, but also openly embraced their beliefs. This brought excommunication and Empire was once again engulfed in a civil war. Polish ruler reacted quickly, and after gathering his banners he invaded his western neighbour in early 1214. Adalbert II was busy fighting overwhelming numbers of his rebellious vassals, and thus Poles encountered little opposition. By year 1216 almost all imperial castles and cities east of Elbe were captured, and Polish host, together with army of duke of Saxony, was marching into Franconia which was a last bastion of Emperor's defences. Realizing that defeat was certain, Adalbert II agreed to Mieszko's terms, and acknowledged his claims by ceding Upper and Lower Lusatia, Meissen and Brandenburg to Poland.

armia13wiek_wczesny.jpg

From left to right: Brother knight of the Order of Dobrzyń, Silesian knight, eastern-Polish infantryman (early 13th century).

While Mieszko fought victorious war in Germany, one of his vassals - duke of Sandomierz Bolko IV, successfully claimed and conquered principality of Halych. This made him most powerful among Polish dukes, likely to be elected to the throne instead of Mieszko's son Bolesław, as Polish lords were becoming vary of growing power of Gozdawa monarchs. Furthermore, since Bolko belonged to house Premyslid, there was a risk of Bohemian intervention should succession crisis arise. Realizing these potential dangers, king took steps to secure inheritance of his son. In 1225 he gave Duchy of Silesia to his friend Władysław of house Ogończyk to gain his support. Year later he gathered his armies once again, and quickly reconquered Prussia while it's Piast duke was busy repelling a Danish invasion from the north. King gave youg Bolesław duchies of Masovia and Prussia, which balanced out powerful position of duke Bolko. This was a last of many conquests of Mieszko III, and until his death in year 1231 kingdom flourished in peace strong like never before in history.

mapa-25.jpg

Kingdom of Poland in year 1231.

familytree-2.jpg

Male line of Gozdawa family in year 1231.

It took me a while but here's an update. However, it's last one - I'll eventually continue in CK2. I simply can't play CK1 anymore, once I tried CK2 demo - game is so superior in almost every aspect. It would take a while to mod/convert but IMO it's worth it, since there's over 200 years of play left. Until then. :)

Last edited:
It took me a while but here's an update. However, it's last one - I'll eventually continue in CK2. I simply can't play CK1 anymore, once I tried CK2 demo - game is so superior in almost every aspect. It would take a while to mod/convert but IMO it's worth it, since there's over 200 years of play left. Until then. :)

As long as you continue I don't mind in which game :)

Awesome update. Mieszko III the Conqueror is definitely worthy of his moniker, that's for sure.

I can understand how CK1 would seem more than a bit crappy after having played CK2. I look forward to seeing the AAR continued in a new game, and I hope the conversion/modding process goes smoothly enough.

Its time for History of the White Eagle part III :D in ck2 :p

Here's political map at 1231, that would serve as a basis for conversion. There are some crazy things present, that I'll ignore (like English north Africa) but overall this should make for an interesting alternate history scenario. Few notes:

- Christians were pushed out of Iberia
- Byzantine Empire still strong in the Balkans
- Bohemia, Lomabrdy/Italy, and Burgundy/Arles independent kingdoms outside HRE
- Powerful Seljuk Empire stretching from Asia Minor to Persia recently collapsed into dozens of smaller states
- Rus' almost unified
- Mongols didn't arrive yet (they will 5-10 years from that point)

mp1231.jpg

English Afrika could perhaps be modeled as independent crusader states?

English Afrika could perhaps be modeled as independent crusader states?

Maybe I'll mod that in as few Crusader-held coastal fortresess - having them control Atlas mountains and beyond would be too implausible.