• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Finally the pretender was killed in battle and Makhzum has now reclaimed the Swahili throne, he tried to secretly incoporate Mogadishu into Oman but his plan was discovered and made him lose popularity in Swahili

I don't understand the bit about Mogadishu, because...

Makhzum ordered to build a marketplace in Mogadishu to exploit the ivory there

... you got it in the negotiations, and I don't see any stability hit.

I don't understand the bit about Mogadishu, because...

... you got it in the negotiations, and I don't see any stability hit.

My relations with Swahili are -199 , I think this should be a bug and should get fixed because there should be some boost to relations after reclaiming the throne, currently its pointless to reclaim your throne unless you havent got another casus-belli (if I send gifts they'll insult me so its no point trying to get the relations up)

Oh, I wish sending merchants was so cheap in MM, but
My relations with Swahili are -199 , I think this should be a bug and should get fixed because there should be some boost to relations after reclaiming the throne, currently its pointless to reclaim your throne unless you havent got another casus-belli (if I send gifts they'll insult me so its no point trying to get the relations up)
at least PUs are dealt with more convinvingly in the mod. Anyway, why Mogadishu? Didn't Swahili have a better (GOLD!) province to snatch?

Oh, I wish sending merchants was so cheap in MM, but at least PUs are dealt with more convinvingly in the mod. Anyway, why Mogadishu? Didn't Swahili have a better (GOLD!) province to snatch?

I'll take that if another war erupts, I didnt want to take much because I cant convert them (no missionaries)

Well, any doubts I had about the trade being worth it are long gone!

I think the game just won't calculate an overland route if a sea route exists, so your merchants are trying to sail around the whole African continent. :(

How many of Swahili's provinces are still Pagan? Right-culture provinces will help you loads in the future.

Chapter 23: 1522-1528

Oman joins the Novgorod trade league to learn more about europeans and their new ways (venice got annexed by milan)

eu312.jpg

A rebellion in Mogadishu was easily squashed by omani forces, the sunni people of Mogadishu viewed their new masters as heretics and wanted to be ruled by a sunni nation

eu314.jpg

To make Mogadishu easier to defend, the bunker around the city had to be upgraded into a proper fort

eu315.jpg

Some narrowminded clergymen viewed Makhzum's attempt to learn the european trading ways as "heretical" and demanded that he steps back, however he refused, saying that this is for the best of Oman and its not against islam

eu316.jpg

Due to the encouragement of innovative thinking, some scientists discovered new medicines from the desert plants, these medicines helped to defeat the common diseases at that time in Muscat, greatly increasing the population growth

eu317x.jpg

The mamelukes had increased their influence in Oman enough to declare it as a part of their sphere of influence, some egyptian mappers at that time even went as far as drawing Oman and Yemen as the south arabian province of the Mameluke sultanate, Makhzum was not bothered by these news as he knew that Mameluke rule will end if they go to war with any of their big neighbours

eu319.jpg

Omani traders began to flood all chinese trade centers, even the tiny ones, the chinese at that time thought that Oman had the largest population in the world because it had control over all the known CoTs of that time to the chinese

eu320.jpg

A courthouse was built in Mogadishu to help the local populace feel comfortable with the just Omani rule, this was the first courthouse to be built in east africa

eu321.jpg

Due to the large number of trading goods coming to Muscat, a large trade depot had to be built to contain all the exotic goods brought from the other parts of the world; Muscat at this time was the largest city in the arabian peninsula and one of the richest provinces in the muslim world

eu322.jpg

Makhzum enacted even more reforms to encourage innovativeness, this made Oman the only country in the known world who encouraged full innovative thinking and aided all kinds of thinkers, naturally, this caused even more thinkers to appear and provide their aid to Oman

eu323.jpg

eu324.jpg

Oman joining Novogrodian league?! I wonder how long it took to sail from North Baltic to Yemen in the 16th century.
I can see you're developing infrastructure.
What is the religious composition of your holdings?

All my provinces are shi'ite but Mogadishu and that provicne has the largest population in my sultanate

interesting AAR. I'll look for updates ;)

Good Luck when the Europeans arrive

Thanks for following :)

Chapter 24: 1529-1550

Uncivillized Vijwhatever decided to weaken their trade by making a new center of trade, Omanis were sure that they'll control it soon like the other one

eu31.jpg

The first drydock in Oman was planned to be built in Muscat, it improved trade by allowing more space for trade vessels

eu32w.jpg

Oman was flooded by intellectuals to the point that those who wanted to work as the sultan's advisor were allwoed to serve other muslim countries for a sum of money

eu33.jpg

In the 16th century, Oman's economy was almost completely dependant on trade, trade became the main source and kept improving under the rule of Makhzum who further encouraged trade with his free trade policies and reforms towards more liberal laws, inflation was also greatly reduced, giving Oman more money to focus on improving and building its regions, the number of new buildings increased alot during this period (Im not taking more building screenshots, it will make most of the AAR)

eu34.jpg

In 1536, Makhzum passed laws that gave more freedom to sunnis, he prefered to rule his subjects equally rather than convert them(meaning Swahili)

eu35kt.jpg

Omar Mustafa gained a big fame in Oman, he solved many financial problems and saved Oman from a financial failure, he also advized Makhzum to continue erecting new buildings in his regions to rule them more effectively and gain more money, his fame grew beyond Oman's border, thus giving Oman even more prestige

eu36l.jpg

In 1539 Makhzum felt safe enough to allow full freedom of trade, he was hailed by his traders for giving them many opportunities and expanding Oman's trade from China to Africa

eu37.jpg

eu39s.jpg

People in Liwa began to sue the same medical methods used in Muscat, allowing the population to grow up faster

eu38.jpg

In 27 march 1543 Makhzum died and his son Barakat II became the ruler of Oman, he named his younger brother a heir, they werent as skilled as their father but were decent rulers nevertheless.
Barakat II knew it was no point to keep a personal union with Swahili and decided to parition Swahili in a series of wars to ensure they remain weak until Oman can hold them, however as he was preparing for war he was warned by the Mamelukes who saw themselves as the defenders of Sunni islam and declared that they would support Swahili in the case of war, Barakat II had no option but to wait

eu310.jpg

3 years later, a war erupted between Castille and the Mameluks and the latter managed to occupy all Castillan north africa in 4 monthes, this shows how powerful Mameluks were at that time

eu311.jpg

The war looked like it was won in just 4 monthes, however Castille refused to give up easily knowing that Mameluks were a horde and will face large rebellions in their mainland, losing north africa to the Mameluks for a short period of time couldnt hurt Castille but holding into those provinces hurt the Mameluks, eventually Castillan forces began a highly successful counter-attack and were marching towards Egypt itself, meanwhile, Oman who was very backward in military technology for its time began to use some modern military techniques and strategies, Barakat II focused deeply on hism ilitary to make sure he can fight the Mameluks back if they did join Swahili in their conflict

eu312o.jpg

Barakat II was also keen on freeing his people from the evils of slavery, he encouraged freedom with a couple of reforms and policies as he felt that Oman cant become technologically advanced if its people are not free

eu313.jpg

That's sad news about the end of Union. Now I you see, you should have taken a different province from swahili back then; you wouldn't have a border with the Mamluks and with your naval superiority you might try bringing Swahili back under your rule attacking from the South (hoping it would take the Mameluks a long time to get down there). The way you are shaping Oman, free trade and naval, Swahili would be an asset and would perfectly fit the Sultans' policy.

That's sad news about the end of Union. Now I you see, you should have taken a different province from swahili back then; you wouldn't have a border with the Mamluks and with your naval superiority you might try bringing Swahili back under your rule attacking from the South (hoping it would take the Mameluks a long time to get down there). The way you are shaping Oman, free trade and naval, Swahili would be an asset and would perfectly fit the Sultans' policy.

Well good thing Castille borders Mamelukes and they go to war often, the Jalayrids are also unfriendly towards the Mamelukes

Chapter 25: 1550-1554

After a period of continous government building policy, many omani cities flourished and became under full omani control, this also allowed big population and resource growth which allowed Oman to raise an even bigger army and navy

eu314.jpg

In the 9th of April 1551 a big Mamelukan army reached the omani border and while crushing the rebels, the mameluke general warned Oman that his nation will not tolerate an attack on Swahili, The sultan simply ignored him and he saw this as an insult

eu315i.jpg

However, 2 years later the Castillan army has not only reconquered its north africa which was completely occupied by Mameluks but they also attacked Egypt proper itself, the Castillan army has not only captured Ottoman Alexandria but also reached as far as the holy land and was now in position to strike Cairo itself

eu316l.jpg

Religious intolerance began to appear in Mogadishu after the Swahili clergy condemned Oman as a heretic nation and that the sunnis of Mogadishu shouldnt accept this heretical rule

eu317.jpg

eu318c.jpg

After a little period of religious intolerance the people of Mogadishu began to convert to Shi'ism in masses after they understood Shi'ism, a big victory for Oman and a major failure for Swahili

eu319.jpg

This victory was not satisfying enough for Barakat, he wanted to topple Swahili influence and to parition the Swahili sultanate afterwards, from nobles to peasants, everyone was in favour of this war, especially merchants who would gain alot from easier access to Swahililand resources

eu320d.jpg

As expected the scared Mameluks decided to step off Oman's way, the sultan made sure every muslim court hears of this "defender of faith" who cant defend himself from Castille even with all of north africa, egypt, levant and caucasus under his rule and with Ottomans and Morocco as his allies
eu321u.jpg

Last edited:
The Mamluks cannot stop Oman from into Space! :D

Chapter 26: 1554-1559

The omani army marched unopposed, the local citizens didnt fight the omanis because the army was kept in good order and didnt loot or annoy the locals, there was no sign of Swahili troops from Mogadishu to north of Quelimane, which ment that the Sahili army was unwilling to fight the Omanis and retreated as far south as they can, however they couldnt escape for too long and because of the new tactics and strategies used by Oman, Swahili's strategies were obsolete and their army was crushed

eu322h.jpg

The peace treaty terms were very harsh, Swahili ceded important territories and their biggest loss was Zanzibar which was the place where Swahili merchants met foreign merchants and heard about the rest of the world, after the peace Swahili was surrounded by Oman and had no way to contact any other country without omani permission, Swahili was essentially removed as a regional power and its parition was inveitable

eu323.jpg

Oman now had a border with Portugal, Barakat made sure to get relations up with the new neighbour to get new technologies and methods from them.

eu324.jpg

The Swahili nobles and merchants arranged a revolt in Zanzibar to bring it back under Swahili rule, they knew that this island was of major importance and gaining it might give Swahili a chance to defeat Oman, the rebels attempted to surprise omani troops but their numbers were too small and they were inferior in regards of technology and military strategies

eu325t.jpg

eu326.jpg

Last edited:
Zanzibar! CoT! Deams made true! Congrats. It's like halfway into space :) Border with Portugal will pbly help with modernisation (I'm not sure hoe it works in vanilla). Hopefully Portugal won't turn against you.

:O I didnt notice that you're the writer of Nec Temere, Nec Timide ! that was one of my favourite AARs !