• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would go with inflation reduction. You can use the resulting money to build up your provinces, and perhaps build a larger navy. Then when you get tech 11 go for Military drill and invade someplace with a CoT!

Can't you afford to use your magistrates? I see u max on 5 on every picture.

I can't help with NI dilemma; haven't played vanilla for some time and I don't have DW.
It surprises me you preferred Najd provs to Yemeni ones; I thought Najd ones are crap 1 or 2 tax, fish; whereas Yemeni ones have slightly better tax and produce exotic stuffs; well, apparently it's different in vanilla.

As for MM complexity and manual reading (what an argument! :)); I remember your previous Oman attempt and like with this one you took things slow. MM would give you a lot to do in-between, like dealing with nomads, spreading Ibadi religion from Nizwa, heading for modernisation, etc. Plus there's one gamey exploit you might use: in MM Portugal gets Goa and, at least early on, is incapable of protecting it... yes this means an easy grab (through long-waiting) of a CoT-prov, the income from this sole prov would pbly exceed the one you'd get from the rest of your empire.

I must find a pic of my Omani game some day to share and show you what I mean. So why don't you give it a try, as long as it's free :) (Btw, in my game the Portuguese came back after some time with their best buddies: the English, and they sent me back to my peninsula ;))

I might give it another try after they makeo ne for DW (they're making one, right ?)

as to why I didnt take a province from Yemen, their provinces are sunni which means rebel problems

I would go with inflation reduction. You can use the resulting money to build up your provinces, and perhaps build a larger navy. Then when you get tech 11 go for Military drill and invade someplace with a CoT!

Sorry, already chose the NI

Can't you afford to use your magistrates? I see u max on 5 on every picture.

At least he can comission painting...

Well I felt that its a waste of magistrates to comission paintings since I didnt have the money to employ those advisors but when I got money I had forgotten about them

Last edited:
Chapter 19: 1499-1509

Sultan embraced a new vision for Oman, he wanted to create a trading empire now to make sure his economy wont collapse again in case of war

eu31.jpg

Jalayrids annexed Hedjaz, and because they were unable to pay for the navy they left it to rot in the coast off Medina, which removed the only naval threat on the arabian peninsula, the nobles and clercs now turned their attention on getting Bahrain, the last shi'ite posession that Najd holds

eu32.jpg

Swahili began to try to move away from Omani rule, they went as far as barraging the sultan with insults, the sultan was shocked and was deeply annoyed, he swore that if Swahili gained a new sultan he would invade them and restore the union

eu33q.jpg

The new ruler of Haasa was a very pro-Omani sultan, he improved the relations with Oman greatly hoping that Oman will protect him, his sultanate was placed in a good position to strike Najd so Sultan I of Oman decided to offer Haasa an alliance

eu34d.jpg

Sultan fell ill, his father was worried and ordered a medicineman to come immediately, but by the time he arrived, Mahzum was the new heir (7/8/8 w00t!!!)

eu35c.jpg

eu36.jpg

The trading empire vision and its free trade policy had given it a steep edge against all of its rivals

eu37r.jpg

Nobles began to get funny ideas and asked Sultan for a payment for what they have given to Oman, Sultan laughed briefly and then rejected the offer saying that nobles have done nothing at all

eu38.jpg

Sultan did not like narrowminded and backward ideas, he knew that Oman will only become great through using new technology and new ideas, his innovative moves had lowered Oman's prestige in the eyes of other countries

eu39l.jpg

The innovative moves gave fruit faster than expected, workshops were discovered in Oman, Sultan liked the idea and ordered to build 2 workshops in Muscat and Nizwa

eu310y.jpg

eu311e.jpg

Merchants were worried about lack of protection, Sultan did not understand why as no merchants were hurt so he rejected to move towards mercantilism

eu312.jpg

Two years after the first workshops were built in Oman, their success have pushed the sultan to build another workshop in Liwa

eu313b.jpg

SCP is actually one of the ideas that I would definitely not have chosen, let's see how it works out.

Sultan fell ill, his father was worried and ordered a medicineman to come immediately, but by the time he arrived, Mahzum was the new heir (7/8/8 w00t!!!)

The innovative moves gave fruit faster than expected, workshops were discovered in Oman

Yay for Mahzum and workshops!

Your slider settings are OK for westernisation and troop modernisation, Mahzum has good stats -- What about going for the west?

SCP is actually one of the ideas that I would definitely not have chosen, let's see how it works out.

Your slider settings are OK for westernisation and troop modernisation, Mahzum has good stats -- What about going for the west?

Or what about bringing West to East? You may have seen it already, I recently saw in a Ming AAR in DW. What you have to do is to sell a province to a Western force for sum of 0. Then, most probably even before they bring enough reinforcements through nationalism you will get it back.

Well I felt that its a waste of magistrates to comission paintings since I didnt have the money to employ those advisors but when I got money I had forgotten about them

After a year anyone can hire them and you get the sign on fee, so it is actually money making, to generate advisors someone else wants.

And really nice AAR. May I suggest cropping the important parts of the screenshots, so we only get the important part instead of the raw screenshot. It makes it easier for me to speed read :)

I figured that out the hard way, Im such a noob :(

I hope the game doenst kill him early ...

I cant sail west as I havent discovered the sea lane to there yet, and Im not going to get a colony in europe if thats what you mean, at least not now (if I became too powerful I might decide to restore Granada ... who knows)

Or what about bringing West to East? You may have seen it already, I recently saw in a Ming AAR in DW. What you have to do is to sell a province to a Western force for sum of 0. Then, most probably even before they bring enough reinforcements through nationalism you will get it back.

If I used such a gamey exploit I will eventually get bored and quit, so no

After a year anyone can hire them and you get the sign on fee, so it is actually money making, to generate advisors someone else wants.

I forgot about that :)

And really nice AAR. May I suggest cropping the important parts of the screenshots, so we only get the important part instead of the raw screenshot. It makes it easier for me to speed read :)

Im glad that you like the AAR

I dont know how to cut out the unimportant parts

Chapter 20: 1509-1515

Oman was wise to sell tis allaince with Persia for peace with the Jalayrids, the ambitious ruler of Baluchistan was not stopped by Omani destruction of his navy and has built an empire from the remenants of Persia who got defeated continously by the Jalayrids who have a funny dream of restoring the mongol empire (they are becoming quite a problem, actually) and of course the ruler of Khorasan didnt miss his chance to dig out his own empire at the cost of the dying Persia, Khorasan could be a good ally for Oman if it didnt have such low relations for an imaginary war between the two ...

eu31d.jpg

Sultan abandoned his trading empire vision, he wanted to lower thei nflation isntead which was starting to becoem a burden on the economy and technological advancement in Oman (6.6 inflation), though some merchants and nobles were annoyed, they soon realised this was for their best ( my stabiltiy was back to +3 in just 1 year, the advantage of having a small nation with rich provinces .... )

eu32d.jpg

A short political crisis occured in Oman after Sultan abandoned his trading empire idea, it was a small blow that Oman didnt suffer at all from

eu33tw.jpg

The economy of Oman hasnt changed alot, Oman was still heavily dependent on trading and the production was not a powerful factor in the economy, the inflation was reduced by 0.2 from 1509 and was expected to continue dropping

eu34.jpg

Portugal declared a crusade on Yemen, Oman prepared to get a peice of the cake but sadly Portugal's crusade was just words

eu35p.jpg

Sultan now turned on attacking the smugglers, he enacted a couple of reforms that costed him alot of money to cut down the smuggling operations in Oman

eu36h.jpg

The discovery of China was a very important step forward in trading for Oman, Oman could now trade exotic goods brought form arabia and africa with the Ming empire, this brought Oman vast wealth and gave her much needed economic boost, Oman therefore funded a couple of merchant trips to Hanyang to meet the chinese

eu37c.jpg

Chapter 21: 1515-1518

In order to carry reforms easier and to bring Oman together, it had to be built up first, a workshop was under construction in Suhar and a constable in Qatar

eu38.jpg

On the unfortunate death of Sultan, a regency council was formed in Oman for the young sultan, Swahili used this opportunity to declare full independence from Oman, because Oman was in chaos now nothing could be done about Swahili independence, but Swahili was not stable now either; they faced major religious and pretender rebellions

eu39.jpg

Sultan ruled as the absolute and only ruler of Oman, he didnt even hire advisors, the regency council decided to use the knowledge of some great minds in Oman, the first was the minter Omar Mustafa who had a couple of plans for fixing Oman's inflation problem

eu310.jpg

Omani traders were charmed by the china trade, they found china to be quite a profitable market so Oman decided to fund them again to spread their trade into Guiyang

eu311k.jpg

One of the first orders from Makhzum was to encourage innovative thinking even further, he believed, like his father, that Oman can only succeed through science because its the only way to beat its jealous neighbours

eu312.jpg

This gave skilled Omanis a chance to use their knowledge and skills, great minds no longer had to work for money, as they could now aid the sultan to build up a powerful Oman

eu313.jpg

eu314.jpg

In 1518 Oman's economy became even more dependent on trade, the effects of the china trade were obvious, in the same year Omanis discovered drydocks

eu315i.jpg

In 2 November 1518 the regency was dissolved and Makhzum became the effective ruler of Oman, festivities were held all over the country to celebrate his coronation, in the coronation he called himself "The sultan of Muscat, Oman, and Swahili" ....

eu316.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 22: 1520-1522

Makhzum was very keen on bringing Swahili back under Omani rule, he declared that he is the rightful ruler of Swahili and he will come to Swahili lands to defeat the vile pretender

eu31u.jpg

Makhzum landed first at the city of Mogadishu with his army, as expected the local population did not resist the omanis because they hated the usntable rule of the pretender

eu32a.jpg

Makhzum continued to march south with his omani and mercenary army until meeting the pretender's army at malindi, Makhzum was shocked to find that the pretender had stolen his family name as well so he can gain legitimacy, the Swahili soldiers felt that they had no reason to fight their real ruler

eu33.jpg

Armed resistance continued but on a small scale, the pretender and his loyalists werent willing to give up easily

eu34y.jpg

eu35.jpg

Finally the pretender was killed in battle and Makhzum has now reclaimed the Swahili throne, he tried to secretly incoporate Mogadishu into Oman but his plan was discovered and made him lose popularity in Swahili

eu36o.jpg

After losing the road to Bihar for a long time, Omani traders have finally found the way again and began to trade in the very rich center of trade there

eu37d.jpg

Makhzum ordered to build a marketplace in Mogadishu to exploit the ivory there

eu38z.jpg

Omani traders success had allwoed them to be found at nearly all the centers of trade in asia and east africa, Makhzum continued the tradition of supporting the merchant trips to spread Omani trade everywhere, trading continued to bring Oman massive wealth that surpassed all other incomes combined
eu310d.jpg

eu311.jpg